Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

stormrider posted:

Are you talking about the semi-clear plastic sticker by the charging port? There is no way that is intended to stay on the tablet. It has a 1/4 of an inch on one side that isn't sticky, specifically for ease of removal.

Agreed. Mine was barely even stuck on, I doubt they will give you trouble for removing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Is there any way to enable screenshots without rooting it? I can't seem to find the usual option in the settings.

Hold volume down + power button

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Syrinxx posted:

Hooray thanks UPS lady

First impressions: light, well constructed (all 4 sides of screen are attached HEH) and I quickly loaded a comic book up which looked amazing.

What widget is that you are running?

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was having some very minor screen separation issues and I did this trick using a clamp: http://therealtonystark.blogspot.ca/2012/07/google-nexus-screen-separation-fix.html

It's been a few days now and it's still holding, so give that a shot if you don't feel like dealing with a return.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

zwee posted:

I had Google send me a replacement 16GB since I had the screen lifting issue everyone else is having. The fix mentioned earlier in the thread only worked for a day or so until I noticed the separation again. My replacement came in today and it has the same lifting problem :argh:

Try the fix I posted. It seems much better then the screw tightening fix.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Google Wallet has been updated to work with any credit/debit cards now. You can get the updated version here for the Nexus 7 http://googlecommerce.blogspot.com/2012/08/use-any-credit-or-debit-card-with.html

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
iOS is easier to use, Android is better for customization. Use whatever you are comfortable with but each one has it's benefits. If you don't give a poo poo about your phone and want it to just work, go with iOS. If you are a slightly technically inclined individual and want customization options, go with Android.

You can't criticize something for having customization options, it's just different than what you are looking for.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Powered Descent posted:

I'm the proud new owner of a Nexus 7. It looks great so far, but I can't figure out a way to get it into plain old USB Mass Storage mode for moving files back and forth.

I've managed to get MTP going, but it's awfully temperamental. (I'm on Linux, where MTP isn't natively supported.) And if all else fails I can always just do everything by wi-fi. So not a huge deal, but I'd still prefer to get USB Mass Storage working and not have to jump through these hoops every time.

Does anyone know a top-secret way to do it, or am I just out of luck?

You can't do USB mass storage anymore, it's MTP only.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Karthe posted:

Is there a good way to switch away from YouTube without it stopping playback? I want to be able to multitask with a video playing in the background but YouTube always pauses when it loses focus.

Apparently this app will do it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.StevenLustig.QueueTube

Though I haven't tried it yet myself.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Fayez Butts posted:

Anyone wanna comment on these battery life pictures? Anyone?

It looks about normal for 3 hours of straight usage. Maybe a bit too much drain but I've noticed it seems to take a few days for the battery calibration to be accurate. See how it performs over the next week. You should be able to get about 5-6 hours of constant heavy usage on the N7.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's really the Nexus 10? It looks like poo poo.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
That thing better cost like $200 for being such an ugly piece of poo poo. If it's even close to the cost of an iPad, forget it. At least the Nexus 7 looks pretty slick and is priced really well.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

gently caress I nearly posted a picture of a LeapFrog on my last post. It seriously looks like a kids toy.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cakefool posted:

I think it's just a dig at the big soft curves & cheap looking plastic.

This. It's the curves that make it look like a children's toy.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

The Verge actually 100% freezes my Ivy Bridge Notebook for a good 5 seconds (completely, no mouse response or anything.) I have no idea what they are doing on that site.

Yeah it's a piece of poo poo site. It freezes my desktop as well for a few seconds each time.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
My machine is a quad core i5 with 8gb of RAM and dual SSDs, so the slowdown is definitely a Verge issue, not my hardware.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

THE LUMMOX posted:

Hello Android tablet thread! Just picked up a Nexus 7 yesterday and loving it so far. Suddenly my phone, which I was fairly happy with (HTC Desire HD stuck at 2.3) seems so lovely and I don't even want to look at it.

I have two questions.

1.) I just updated it to 4.2 and the screenshot function isn't working. (volume down + power). I googled and some people reported this and the answers were mostly "you're doing it wrong". So, what am I doing wrong?

2.) Do we have any easy way to make Youtube videos float like mobo video player does?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Press power and volume down at the exact same time.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
If your nexus 7 gets below about 2gb of available storage, it seems to slow down a ton. Supposedly they fixed this, but I can easily replicate it on my N7 still. You may try freeing up about 3gb and see if it helps.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Any word if the new nexus 7 supports 802.11 N?

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Anyone notice any issues with their new nexus 7 touch screen? I just got mine today and it seems like I'm getting taps when scrolling up and down. I'm wondering if I should return it.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yes, you should return it if it's doing that. Why would you keep it?

I plan on it, but wanted to make sure it's not effecting everyone.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

PK-Fire posted:

I noticed some missed taps and awkward scrolling when I first started using my nexus 7, but after it finished its updates it's been fine. I'm really enjoying it so far and after using an iPhone for the past year it's nice to play with android again.
Does anyone know if there are companies coming out with a decent folio style case with a notepad?
I've been looking at this one:
http://www.dodocase.com/products/dodocase-folio-for-nexus-7-2
But it's pricey at $125 and maybe a bit bulkier than it needs to be.

To replicate the touch issue, I load an app (the play store works nicely) and scroll rapidly up and down on the right side. The scrolling will be jumpy and eventually it starts to click stuff on the screen, even though I'm still scrolling.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nope unplugged. It only does it on the right side of the screen. If I turn on show touches, I can move my finger around and things are smooth, but on the right side when moving vertically, it gets super jumpy.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
I got my replacement Nexus 7 today since my old one was having issues with touch not registering properly. The new one works flawlessly! I'm super happy with this thing, definitely worth the $230 to upgrade.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
No crashes with mine so far.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
My N7 had a hardware issue with the touchscreen (at least I think it was hardware) where one portion of the screen was really erratic when sliding my finger around. When you enabled "show touches" it was really obvious something was wrong. I exchanged it, and the new one has been working pretty much perfectly, except for a few issues where the screen doesn't respond once in a while, but I believe that is the software issue you all are talking about. I would just make sure your defect isn't on the hardware side.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

baka kaba posted:

I think the takehome here is that iPads give a more consistent experience, whereas with Android it could be anywhere from crap to fine depending on the alignment of the planets when you bought yours

It probably depends more on what apps you are running on your tablet. If you are doing an email sync with Exchange and there are lots of emails/attachments or running a bunch of widgets that are updating from a web source every 15 minutes, it's going to use a lot more battery than a stock tablet that isn't syncing as frequently or downloading files.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

My nexus 7 2013 still hasn't updated to lollipop. Google really dropped the ball on this update and ruined what was suppose to be a major advantage of buying the nexus line.

Just side load it, it's super easy and takes about 5 minutes.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

sirbeefalot posted:

My N7 2013 has been very stable on 5.0.1 and .2, besides the sleep of death that I still get occasionally. That's been happening since I bought the drat thing though, and has persisted even with a replacement device, so I don't know what the gently caress.

I've never had that issue on mine. Maybe it's caused by an app you are using?

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

sirbeefalot posted:

That's what I thought after the replacement did it, though I swear it's done it after a full reset and before loading in all my apps. I may try it again and add stuff incrementally, but it usually only happens after like a week of uptime and it's not consistent, so... :effort:

It only takes a minute or two to force a reset when the problem shows up.

I use mine literally every day since launch and almost never reboot. It has to be an app or you got very unlucky with hardware.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Use MX Player with it's codec pack, it should play everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just bought an iPad Mini this week to replace my Nexus 7 because Google hasn't bothered to make a compact tablet since then. It was $325 and seems decent so far. It sucks having to use a different ecosystem but what other choice do you have for a compact tablet other than some janky garbage.