Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Don Lapre posted:

Most of the issues people are having is their bricks failing, not the cables. Alot of people on XDA were actually asked to send their tablet back with their ac adapters when the bricks failed.

They had no other option other than ordering the correct proprietary brick online, and when the transformer first came out you couldn't even do that.

We're on the same page. Proprietary connectors are terrible. There's only three reasons I can think of that they didn't use USB:
  • They didn't want to go outside of the USB spec with a higher amperage.
  • They wanted to make more money by forcing customers to buy their adapters.
  • Incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

as I understand it USB doesn't come close to the available bandwidth of either one.

USB2 is 480Mbps (60MB/s) which is more than any (current) mobile device can handle. Also, It appears the charging spec was updated to a maximum of 5A over a year ago, so my first bullet earlier is invalid.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

ClubmanGT posted:

I wish Samsung would get the hell on with things and announce their next-gen tablet that isn't the Galaxy Tab 2/Note. The longer we don't hear any clarification or updates about a next-gen Sammy tablet, the more I suspect those 2560x1600 screens that were being made are actually for the iPad.

The iPad3 is already confirmed to have a 2048x1536 screen. The 16:10 aspect ratio is more of an Android thing, anyway. Where are you reading about 2560x1600 panels?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Rastor posted:

I think that's referring to the bullshit BGR rumor from back in December.

Is BGR ever right about anything?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Its just strange that an hp touchpad can handle them better with inferior hardware.

Is it possible the custom version of Android loaded on the Touchpad had some kind of ad-blocker built-in and wasn't loading as many flash applets?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

Or you know, if you like Android.

But yea your point still stands. Hardware and price wise there is nothing out or announced that can touch the iPad 3. I want to rub myself on that screen.

Right now the best announced Android tablet is the Transformer Infinity, as long as Asus keeps the build quality at TF101 levels instead of TF201. One nice thing is it will display 1920x1080 content without any scaling or vertical black bars, solving my biggest gripe about the iPad, which is the 4:3 aspect ratio and strange resolution.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

Though that would make their most recently announced tablets even more pointless.

Isn't that Samsung's deal? We'd get the Galaxy Tab 10.1 FHD and the Galaxy Note 10.1 FHD followed by more once Android's J revision comes out, plus all the other sizes. Also different versions with different SoCs for LTE and HSPA and...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Toady posted:

The market has spoken: it doesn't.

I want 16:10 and HDMI out, but the current offerings with those things are terrible.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

Ahem.

The Xyboard would like to have a word with you...

Oh, wait, no scratch that the Xyboard is good. Carry on.

The Xyboard is still on Honeycomb and only has a 1280x800 screen. The only advantage is has over the Xoom is a slightly-better processor, but that pro is negated by the software not being supported by Google (hence still Honeycomb).

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I can't see a $149 tablet being any good. I hope the reason it won't have a Tegra3 is because they're staying with TI and using an OMAP5 or something.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

I'm more worried about ASUS pulling another Prime than the specs. Though I guess since Google has a heavy part in the hardware design of Nexus devices, that threats mitigated somewhat.

One of my main concerns about the price is that lowering costs might result in a lovely display running at 1024x600. If they can put a nice IPS panel at 1280x800 and a decent enough SoC to drive all those pixels then they're well on their way to a decent tablet.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Crackbone posted:

I guess they had to do something with all those leftover ipad 1 bodies.

They melted them down and re-cast them in 16:10 aspect ratio?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Crackbone posted:

:v:

The styling look almost identical to the original ipad. I know there's not a ton of design space for tablets but most makers are veering away from that 90 degree turns style. From what little time I spent with an ipad 1, it doesn't feel as nice as the tapered edges most makers are doing now.

I should have had a :v: in there.

Are you talking about the rounded back surface edges or weird corners like the Xyboard™ has? The Xyboard™ looks dumb as hell but I'll bet it's more comfortable to hold.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Smeego posted:

The shot on the right makes it look like the device is dockable, which is why the volume rocker is where it is.

edit: And it's probably the Toshiba AT270.

Looks like you're right. A Nexus tablet will probably have little in the way of ports. The Galaxy Nexus uses MHL over USB instead of having its own HDMI port and a Nexus tablet might do the same thing. A SD slot is probably out, too.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Ringo R posted:

I know it's not a tablet but couldn't find a more appropriate thread. Will most likely buy a Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 3.6 tomorrow, which is pretty much an Android iPod Touch. I've found a bunch of previews but not many reviews of it. Seems pretty rare. Anyone got one? Was originally after an iPod Touch but then found the 3.6 which is a bit cheaper. I've used iOS but am new to Android which I think will be fun to try out. A bit worried about lag/unresponsiveness after being spoiled with iDevices but I think I can live with it...
If you're buying this and planning on it being "an iPod touch but cheaper," you'll be disappointed. The hardware is similar to devices that were out a year or so ago. It's also running an out-of-date OS (most Android devices are) with next to no chance for any updates. Samsung is pretty notorious for making GBS threads up their devices and they have free reign over this one. If you want an iPod and it's just a little more expensive, get an iPod. If you just want to play with Android, you might be able to find a used phone or one with a bad ESN on the cheap.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Cakefool posted:

If you're still thinking it might be worth a punt, note it doesn't list a spec for the screen & isn't android market google play compatible.
You can find the specs elsewhere. The screen is 480x800 and capacitive, but it's most certainly garbage and has a terrible viewing angle. I was going to say that 480x800 on a 7" screen would be awful, but it's the same pixel density as the iPad2. It might be ok for a kitchen tablet or if you live in the magma zone and are constantly at risk of dropping things into molten rock, but for a general-use tablet it's definitely a bad choice.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Why do you want to take pictures with a tablet?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Don't forget the Transformer TF700 that they showed at CES: 1080p screen, Tegra 3, and completely unknown release date and price.
It's actually 1920x1200, not 1080p. :spergin:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Why do you care about customizing the home screen more than changing the wallpaper and putting your shortcuts where you want them?

Ive personally never found widgets very useful, they are mostly glorified app launchers, never showing enough information to be really valuable.
The nice thing about some widgets is they can take you to a specific action. The Soundhound widget has a button that will listen without actually having to open it. The Twitter widget can take you straight to making a new tweet, Google Music has pause/play/skip controls. There's also things like the Blizzard Mobile Authenticator which will show you the code without having to open it up, which I guess is useful if you're a sperg who has their account set to require it for every login. Widgetsoid toggles are also pretty nice, but I have those moved to the notification bar.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

That makes sense. All the items were downloading to my external SD card. Maybe that's the bottle neck. The SD card worked well in my other devices (SGS2, Nook Color, and Flyer), though.
Is there a reason you're putting applications on the SD card instead of the internal memory? Wouldn't you use the SD space for more transient things like pictures and videos and the internal space for more permanent things?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

To my knowledge, only the iPad can charge of USB, and even then only slowly without either a special driver or being a Mac.
Many newer motherboards are able to pump out more amps for faster charging. USB is always 5v, though, and I know some (maybe all?) Android tablets charge at wacky voltages, so it might not matter.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

If the battery drops below 50% capacity they will swap it out. I don't understand where this is going though, unless you want to actually say companies like Apple have bad customer service?
I think he's saying he paid to ship it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Rumors of the Nexus tablet shipping in June, available in July:
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120523PD214.html

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is the Vizio VTAB worth it at less than $150?

It's one of Newegg's month-end clearance deals.
Let's take a look at what it has to offer:
  • Android 2.3
  • Single-core 1GHz processor
  • 512 MB RAM
  • 1024x768
  • Poor viewing angle
  • Good chance of broken ports
Do not pay any amount of real money for that tablet.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

$150? It still looks like it has some corners left.

e: I guess that's probably not the actual device since a nexus device is unlikely to have any manufacturer branding on the front.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 31, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Sharkelberry posted:

What am I missing here? It sounds like this is going to be a 720p, Tegra 3, 7 inch tablet for sub 200 dollars. What's so bad about that?

I could be misinterpreting the intention of the quoted posts though... :ohdear:

This is nothing but good news to me even though it seems heavily steeped in speculation. I have a budget of about $250.00 for a tablet. If NVIDIA can somehow roll out that Tegra 3 for sub 150, that should plummet the price of some of the existing T3 10.1 inch tabs which is music to my ears.
Rastor was saying that it would be stupid to buy a known lovely $150 tablet (the Newegg daily deal) when there's a (probably) better one around the corner for the same price. My post was a joke about corners being cut to meet that price point. Other offerings in that price range have not had favorable reviews, but we don't really know much about it right now.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm honestly surprised there isn't also a screen under the keyboard. I mean...why the gently caress not!?
Didn't someone make a laptop where the keyboard was a screen?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

right arm posted:

You guys must have tiny girl hands because I'm sure that an 18 inch Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich tablet would fit my needs perfectly :smugdroid:
You can do better than that.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Smeego posted:

The dual screens seem terribly gimmicky. I can't think of a situation where it would be intuitive or useful.
Playing Battleship.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Kynetx posted:

Condolences? You seem disappointed.
Maybe he was hoping to make another thread like this one.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

The anti google echo chamber trifecta!
That last guy is an Android user. You're getting a little defensive about your Consumer Electronics Purchasing Decisions. You might enjoy your Transformer Prime, but it's had a number of issues, including the WiFi and GPS debacle, random reboots, screens cracking from the dock, not to mention all the customer service horror stories.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

"android tablets suck" isn't much of a discussion...
The thing is, that's pretty much been the case. That being said, I'm still going to sink the $200/$250 on the Nexus tablet when it comes out and just hope I don't have to deal with Asus. :retrogames::spergin:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

I'm hoping it's more like 150-200 then 200-250. Project Kai talks specifically about that 199 price point, so I'm thinking the sub 200 range isn't out of the question when you factor in a few hardware manufacturers all going with the kai/7 inch model.
I'm all for low cost as long as that doesn't mean they build it out of used bubblegum and recycled toilet paper.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

computers posted:

ASUS will hold out hostage if you ship it to them for repairs. That's after breaking it further to make sure youre not covered under warranty.

Rastor posted:

This is trolling, plain and simple.
I wouldn't count this bit as trolling, since this is a thing that's actually happened. Asus's poor customer service record should be concern for anyone considering an Asus tablet.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Dear Asus, please start making phones :allears:

Phones, or PadFones?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I linked this earlier in the thread, I want one so much.
You didn't link it, you just asked about it. Have you read any reviews?

quote:

The PadFone nails the idea, but misses on the execution to the point where it feels more like a tech demo than a viable product. There are enough performance issues and app interface problems that I began to avoid using the PadFone as a tablet, and even the phone itself has some underwhelming specs for a supposedly high-end device.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

If that Nexus tablet has an SD slot I'll definitely replace my Fire. Looking forward to more info on Wednesday.
It's unlikely that Nexus devices from here on out are going to have removable storage.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

TLG James posted:

Negative over here. I guess I'll wait to see what the kindle fire 2 has to offer. How hard would it have been to throw a microsd slot in there.

It seems unlikely that any future Nexus devices are going to have external storage.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What's the return policy look like?

Someone already beat you to the joke.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

15 days. Perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Acer already pays royalties, so does LG, HTC, and Samsung.
Google makes more money from iOS than it does Android, and Microsoft makes more money from Android device sales than it does Windows Phone sales. What exciting times we live in.