Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Tunga posted:

For what it's worth this is totally untrue, I disabled this ages ago.

Came to post this - you can indeed turn the key sounds off.

As for the power button the device will wake via a flip cover that has a magnet in the right place which I've found fairly convenient (except for when it comes open in my bag and ends up draining a bunch of battery).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

Anyone have an LG 8.3 or know enough to comment? My N7 cracked and I'm not sure I'd be better off just replacing it with the LG since I can trade in an old rear end phone for it and get it essentially for free (on Verizon LTE enabled).

I have both a 2013 N7 and a GPad 8.3

I much prefer the screen size (and screen size to device size ratio) of the LG but the software it is running is utter garbage and just ruins the experience. This is only going to become a bigger deal once the N7 gets L while the LG stays stuck on 4.4.2 so I definitely wouldn't go for a GPad right now.

e. Clearly I have the non-GPE version which is what I assume your carrier will be providing.

dissss fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 10, 2014

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Uh what? 5 is an incredible improvement graphically and featurewise.

So was Vista.

The difference here is 5 runs just as well as 4.4 did

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Oh Android, never change

I've had an experience on the N7 (2013) somewhere in the middle - most of the time performance on Lolipop seems to be about the same as KitKat was, but the tablet does now seem to bog down after a few days usage and only perks up again with a reboot.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

If I wind up grabbing an iPad for them it'll either be a 3rd Gen or the iPad Mini 2. Just a shame if there aren't any Android offerings that would be suitable, it'd be nice to cut even $100 off the asking price of the refurbs without sacrificing ease of use for them.

You don't want the 3rd gen (that was the first retina model and performance was awful) - get at least the 4th gen (preferably the Air)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Ixian posted:

So avoid any regular iPad gen 3 or older, and avoid the 1st gen Mini. There's nothing really wrong with the iPad gen 3, the Air is just much better.

I don't agree with that last part - the third gen was awful from a performance standpoint to the point where you are better off just getting an iPad 2 (which actually worked better because it had quarter the pixels to push)

The 4th gen look very similar but had a much faster GPU that can actually keep up with the screen so are a better buy. You can tell them apart by looking at the connector - 3rd gen had the old style wide connector, 4th gen had the current slim reversible one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Does it take a while to show up or something? Asking because I've had no issues and side loaded the OTA as soon as it was available.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

At this point 5.0.1 is performing much better than 5 did on my N7 but I'd have to give it a couple of weeks before saying it truly fixed things.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Apple updates take forever these days, and show a thermometer bar which fills up in a manner that has zero relation to the actual amount of time spent updating.

The difference between Apple and Android is Apple updates just don't tell you anything.

This is true. At one point last week I was staring at 'Optimising apps' on my N7 and the Apple logo with a nonsensical progress bar, and 'Getting ready' (or something equally inane) on my Windows 10 test laptop all at the same time.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

So, uh, i still don't have Android L on my Nexus 7 - 2013... what percentage of users should have the update by now?

I sideloaded the OTA as soon as it became available (because I am impatient).

Anyway skipping 5.0 wasn't necessarily a bad thing because it was all kinds of broken on the N7. 5.0.1 performs much, much better on that device.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Perhaps. I've been seeing a ton of people saying that 5.0.1 has completely cleared up their issues on the N5 and such, just no luck on the N9.

220 hours into 5.0.1 on my N7 and the issues all appear to be completely fixed.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The SA ad situation is just out of control on Android - you're really better off using either of the dedicated apps (I prefer Awful)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm actually considering an Asus Fonepad 6 Note because its only a couple of hundred bucks outright - apparently the Atom CPU itself is fine, but the GPU is really weak

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

SlayVus posted:

However, from some reading. Lollipop(Any device that uses it) has huge memory leaks right now and can require daily restarts or you'll see RAM usage spike over 1GB.

Why would using half the RAM on a modern device be considered a problem?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Except that isn't something that is actually happening, at least not on 5.0.1

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Tunga posted:

But that isn't at all the point I replied to anyway.

The point you replied to was in response to the post that 'you'll see RAM usage spike over 1GB'. Which isn't at all indicative of an issue on a modern device.

As for memory leaks you are not necessarily going to see them - inconsistency is one of the great weak points of Android and there have been similar complaints after every OS version upgrade.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Guillermus posted:

if you follow something about microsoft, the surface series are fantastic

Debatable. We've had various Surfaces around the Office to try out and I just don't see any appeal.

Guillermus posted:

and their first phone branded as Microsoft, not Nokia, the Lumia 535 is unbeatable when it comes to budget and quality.

Maybe if the Moto G didn't exist. As it stands 'doesn't have 4G LTE, its under-powered processor results in a sluggish interface, the touchscreen can be unresponsive and the screen is neither sharp nor particularly vivid.' doesn't sound unbeatable

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Just got 5.0.2 on my 2013 N7.

Now let's see if it goes back to being able to keep more browser tabs loaded than an iPad.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

If you want a 4:3 tablet then a very good option already exists...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Plus it's amazing you're acting like Windows doesn't have automatic patching, especially in a deployed environment.

Sure it's there but it is still an enormous pain in the rear end due to the sheer number/size of patches and the time they take to install (even worse on a netbook class system).

Makes Chrome look downright streamlined.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

As mentioned, netbooks are dead, so whether things are bad on them is quite irrelevant these days.

Netbook-class includes anything with an Atom or low end AMD processor. This segment is far from dead.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ALL Windows systems that cost less than a Chromebook* have an Atom (maybe branded as a Celeron or Pentium) or low end AMD processor. They all count as netbooks.

* Forget about the Pixel, everyone else did already.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Not true, there are lots of small Windows boxes that use the Haswell (and soon Broadwell) Celerons like the 2957U. These are real Haswell/Broadwell chips that are not based on the Atom architecture so they actually have good performance and even stuff like quicksync video encoding. HP's new Stream PC looks pretty nice and has one of those chips: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2864353/hp-takes-on-chromeboxes-with-180-windows-based-stream-mini-pc.html The only downside vs. an Atom is power consumption. These chips use about 15 watts vs. Atom based stuff that's around 5 watts power usage.

Okay replace all with most. The other Streams are still Atom based as far as I can recall.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

Only the stream tablets are Atom based. The Stream 11/13 laptops for $200ish are also Celeron based (and surprisingly snappy).

Those are Atoms with Celeron branding

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Xander77 posted:

I've downloaded several different files... and I kinda thought avi was the one video format everything should support.

AVI is a container not a video format.

Xander77 posted:

Err, I'm having a bunch of problems with that. First of all, I don't see an "uninstall" in settings - only "uninstall updates" and disable, which I don't think deletes the program completely.

This means they're system apps either disable them or just ignore them - because they live on the system partition removing them won't gain you any extra space anyway.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Shannow posted:

My old HTC Sensation had a function that let you share the wifi connection you were using and I've yet to find an app that replicates this function anywhere and my god I miss it.

Share it how?

The stock USB and Bluetooth tethering methods will share a WiFi connection.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'll bet it's a hardware issue and software version has nothing to do with it (although updating/rolling back probably makes the issue more likely to crop up). Nexus devices like the 4/5/7 were definitely built to a price and I wouldn't be surprised if really low endurance storage got used.

Anyway doesn't worry me too much, it's probably not as widespread as it seems from those threads.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I think 4:3 is best for 10 inch tablets but 16:9 is a much better for factor for 8 inch ones for text that reflows and media.

16:10 <> 16:9

While I'm sure there has been the occasional no-name Android tablet in 16:9 everything reputable was 16:10

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Are there any good 16:10 tablets on the horizon or is 4:3 the wave of the future?

I'm worried about this too - if I wanted 4:3 I'd just get an iPad Mini 2 (which is actually a good deal cheaper than any reasonable Android option I can get locally anyway)

E. I'm still fairly happy with my N7 but it really could do with a slightly larger display, and the battery life is getting pretty poor these days

dissss fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 16, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

If you want a 4:3 tablet then the iPad is a better (and often cheaper) option

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

AlexF posted:

Engadget gave a 77 and seemed at least intrigued by it. That'd slamming these days?

When their scale is pretty much 70-100 it is

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

Comic books are 1.53:1 which makes 1.6:1 (16:10) the best choice to read them. There are still plenty of tablets sporting that ratio.

Such as?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

It's worth it for the price you paid for it, but Samsung wanted >iPad prices for it initially which is just crazy.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I've never seen the point of large tablets - IMO 8" 16:10 is as big as you can practically go (or iPad Mini size in 4:3)

I have a the larger iPad Pro on my desk at work (because the CE wanted it) and iOS is just ridiculous on it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

They do, they're just not the only thing that matters.

That's why the iPad 1 and 3 sucked balls, they're released underpowered and fairly quickly became unsupported.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Virtue posted:

If you plan to annotate or do any kind of editing (and budget allows) consider a surface 3. Nothing beats pen on paper but this comes close. I've used my SP3 for over 2 years now and it's replaced all of my old notebooks and binders.

Are you using the SP4 pen?

I've given up on using the pen that came with my SP3 - it's just feels so nasty on the glass screen and I never got the hang of it

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Virtue posted:

The future for tablets IMO will be replacing laptops. I don't think we're ready to get away from the PC entirely.

Nah that battle has already happened and the laptop won. Tablets appeal was stuff like quiet operation, quick wake up, long battery life, light weight and laptops have got much better in all those areas.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

So is the Surface Laptop now. Anyway I know of a few places that have gone from Surface Pros (and the HP and Lenovo clones) back to proper laptops - most of the time the traditional laptop form factor just works better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

An iPad?