Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

gaxsezu posted:

no USB drives, just this micro SD card I now find myself with no tablet to use it in. I've been looking for an accessory that I could use to just plug the card into and use with the tablet but no luck so far. Something like this I guess? http://nexus10accessories.com/want-a-microsd-adapter-for-your-nexus-10/ Have you heard of any by any chance?

I funded this. Should be in my hands in July. Sounds like what you want. The USB OTG cable + usb adapter would work too, would just be a bit less streamlined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

gaxsezu posted:

That's EXACTLY the kind of thing I was looking for. drat.

I would keep an eye on that project then. I can't imagine they won't be taking more orders once they start mass producing the thing.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The TF701 is going on sale in the UK at the end of Oct.

Hoping this means it'll hit the US in nov or dec. If asus is actually making the next nexus 10, it'll be the same pad with an 800 and no SD and dock options. Kind of rely on that little dock for commuting so I think I'm going to skew to the transformer model.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Install Windows posted:

A good Windows 8 tablet still costs much more.

Until Artemis Director's Viewfinder, Sun Surveyor and DSLR Controller get ports to w8, I couldn't switch. I use those apps professionally and they account for about $50 worth of app purchases.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 4, 2013

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Picked up a tf701 + dock since I had a 201 and then a 700.

Definitely not ready for prime time.

The tablet has a bug which causes it to constantly fluctuate in brightness..something related a smart dimmer function not actually turning off despite toggles.

The dock has a connection issue, in that it drops connection from the tablet with the slightest move, pretty much insuring you'll corrupt any drives or cards during a write. (amazon has pulled this thing twice already)

It's a shame, its a really smooth and powerful tablet. I'm hoping they get their poo poo together and fix these issues so I can rebuy the thing. As it stands now, avoid it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Christoff posted:

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again.

But really. Why do they keep doing this? I'm fine with my TF700 for the next longwhile but it's still a letdown.

They had to revise the 30 pin connector, I'm guessing to deal with usb 3.0 which meant they had to revise the docking mechanism that was basically unchanged through about 6 different models. I probably should have known better then to give the first run a chance, especially since it's ASUS and their QA is all over the place.

It's a huge bummer to see what the 700 would be like without the terrible I/O making it lag on basic things. Not to say the 700 isn't useable, but we're talking night and day between it and the 701.

I'm not trying to slag it off too much, it's hardware from late 2011 and we're about to be in 2014.

It might get me to try the transformer they are announcing at CES that can dual boot android and win8 instead, or just go with a win8 2014 model all together now that battery life is finally on par with ARM more or less.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Syrinxx posted:

The tablet just has horrible I/O issues, needed more RAM, and 1900x1200 is a huge resolution to push. Don't even bother trying to use it while applications are updating from Play

The 701 is what the 700 should have been if they hadn't bottle necked it with terrible flash.

It was a little faster then the snapdragon 600 in my phone, pushing 1600p instead of 1080p. Of course it had to have all kinds of quality issues coming out, like most models in the TF line.

At this point whoever can put out a hybrid with 1080 or 1200p, either one full SD and a usb3 slot or two usb 3 slots, some kind of HDMI out, and at least 8 hours of battery life will get my money. It can run unix for all I care as long as I can do the basic things I need (not games, not editing) while commuting.

Oh and it has to not fall apart completely or be built by people with poor depth perception so maybe you'll sit this one out asus.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 6, 2014

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Shot the Galaxy S tab NYC event so I got to play with the new 10.5 and 8 inch 1600p AMOLED tabs. Holy crap, the screen is glorious. I've already played with 1600p 10 inch panels in LCD form but something about the deep blacks of this thing blew me away. Other then that, standard fare, plenty fast without any lag, pretty light for the size. Android 4.2.2 in the settings for some reason..The on screen emulation of the galaxy s5 is really slick and of course is disabled in the USA (no wifi calling for us).

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rastor posted:

I loved my Transformer but it's certainly no use in 2015.

The concept has always been solid but Asus dropped the ball so many times that the market is still pretty eh on convertibles.

I tried the TF 701 when it came out, having owned the 201/700. At the time it was 500 + 150 for the dock and the docks were totally defective..any movement would cause a disconnect right away. On the tablet side, it had some weird ambient sensor issue where it would constantly shift brightness every second ... So I returned the hell out of it, and stuck with the 700 since it could still function as a pdf reader and media player (if you could handle a ton of a lag getting to those).

The 700 gave up the ghost just shy of 3 years in (kind of impressive for the worst eMMC and SoC combo)..and somehow I got an email for tf701+keyboard bundles @ 280 shipped and I went for it.

Updating from 4.2 to 4.4.2 [which I'm guessing is the last version it'll see] fixed the brightness thing, the dock is way more solid than the first version I tried, and the QHD screen is really nice.

Downsides being the usb host on the tablet is totally hosed (maybe issues with USB3 on the tegra4 or something?) so it's useless, the dock disconnects and therefore unmounts when the screen is turned off..it's maybe 60% of the brightness of the 700..which was insanely bright for a tablet. The battery life is about 1/3rd or 1/2 of what I was getting on the 201/700...

I'd like to get something more modern for 5.1/6.0 but they've switched to crappier resolution models with x86 chips and all the stuff I've looked at isn't really any better.

I'm hoping for a 12-14" 2 in 1 with a full size usb somewhere (tab/dock whatever), SD card slots, QHD or better res and doesn't weigh more than 2-3lbs. Battery life of at least 4 to 5 hours of SOT...
It can run windows or android at this point, it doesn't really matter. I will buy you! No light weight keyboard cover dealios though, full clamshell style ability. Maybe with the larger ipad pro coming out we'll get some actual android ta- hahaha, who am I kidding.

I'm very sold on detaching the screen for reading pdfs properly. Give me a larger screen so I can have 1:1 with a 8x11 piece of paper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

This is the Surface Pro 3.

I'm going to be paying attention to the pro 4 announcement in October. The thing that stopped me from the 3 was definitely the soft keyboard cover..I'd like a more traditional hinge style cover.

e: also the 3:2 ratio is kinda eh for me, I've been spoiled with 16:10 on my desktop and this tablet/dock setup already. 3:2 feels like a step back.