Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The use case of "tablet on a table" (aside from using it to play media somewhere I don't have a TV) is one I've never really intersected with. If I'm sitting down at a table other than my desk (which already has a computer) to do something computing related, I'm just going to use my notebook. It's not really like that's a situation that comes up too often either anyways.

That's always the fun argument that comes up when people talk about Android vs iOS tablets. "iOS is better to get work done!" (to be clear, I'm not calling out anyone specific about this)

Uh...what work? Outside of artists who use a tablet like that to draw, what 'work' is being done by the average person? I have to do my work on a work issued Lenovo that work controls and dictates how it it is used. The average person isn't some freelance tech blogger that has to pound out a quick article about a trade show in a hotel room before they run to the next keynote.

My personal devices are just used to message, gently caress around on the internet, and watch media content. I fully admit that something like the S7+ is an extravagance. I'm basically buying the display at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

mediaphage posted:

For what it’s worth, almost anyone who doesn’t do computer touching but needs computery things can probably do most of what they need on an iPad.

Or a fire tablet, or a smartphone even.

And you mistake my tone. My point was the BOYD in a work setting outside of your phone might as well not exist and most people have to do their work on a corporate issued device unless you are some sort of freelancer (which is perfectly valid, but niche segment.) I know zero people across a wide range of industries that has a choice in work device beyond mac or PC (if they have even that) and the most any BOYD mobile device can do outside of that is access email.

These companies have whipped up this frenzy around these devices as "productivity" machines, putting out flashy ad copy of minimalistic desks with a tablet/keyboard combo as how work is done in 2020 when in reality it's done with a 2 year old T480 with an asset tag hooked to an external monitor managed to within an inch of its life with group policy and security software.

That's why I always laugh when they have these reviews testing the "viability" of these tablets as your only device exclaiming "I wrote this very review on it!". We passed that viability on a personal level years ago once smart phones got good enough and we are nowhere near approaching that when it comes to work devices because most industries are have a strenuous level of security governance and aren't equipped to let devices like these into the environment.

I get the same chuckle with the "creator" laptop segment right now as if there are just loads of people editing 4k footage in Adobe Premier on a regular basis. They are overrepresented in reviews because they are aspirational devices. If I just buy this $1700 notebook I can launch my new career as a youtube star! I'm in no way going to use it just to check my bank statements or order stuff from Amazon.

I applaud the people who have interesting creative hobbies that can put these tools to good use on a regular basis, but the whole industry is mostly based off of a collective lie we tell ourselves about a lifestyle that fits these tools.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Personally, I want the Surface Neo. To me, that seems like an ideal device.

When you get into thin client territory, it's hard to argue anything but a chromebook makes sense there. Both RDP and Horizon are well supported as a Android app on ChromeOS.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 23, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Knowing the use case would help, but honestly my low cost "android" tablet recommendation is probably going to be the Lenovo Chromebook Duet. It runs android apps fine and full chrome makes it a ton more useful.

It's a bit more at $279-$299, but it comes with a keyboard and stand too out of the box.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I did something completely impulsive and at the time seemingly stupid on Prime Day, but after an hour with it, I think I may be in love.

I've been seeking a good 8" Android tablet. I've replaced the battery of my Nexus 7 2013 and it works, but it's old and slow.

I have a Mediapad M5 8.4 that I liked when I got it, but lack of updates leaving it at Android 8 (which meant no dark mode) and a build of Android that never seemed quite right left me wanting more.

I've considered an iPad mini, but that's a hard no until it gets a redesign and goes USB-C.

So that didn't leave much. You have the Fire tablets with their lower resolution screen and quad core processor. You have the cheap A series from Samsung which also top out at 800p and some don't even have biometrics.

But there was another Samsung option that was announced a few months ago.

The Tab Active 3. It's an enterprise option and I forgot about it because I wasn't sure of the full specs when announced and the cost was a little hight.

Well, on Prime Day, Amazon had the 64gb model for $380 and I took the plunge.

It runs an Exynos 9810 which is what was in the S9 series. That's a fair sight better than the quad core mediatek chips that are usually in this class of device. It's a 1920x1200 screen that's LCD, lower resolution than the 2k 2560x1600 screen in the Mediapad, but contrast, colors and black levels are better.

It's a rugged tablet, but without the included heavy case, it's not too chunky and pretty nice to hold. Top and bottom bezels are a little large, but not horrible. It has three physical navigation buttons with the home button housing s fingerprint sensor. I wouldn't mind doing without the buttons and doing gesture navigation, but the thing was built for use with gloves so I can understand.

It's IP68 water and dust resistance. Drop resistance. Removable battery. Headphones jack. Oh, it is SPen compatible and includes a rugged one in the box.

It's been fast so far. I have some long term reservations about the 4gb of RAM, but we'll see. Samsung actually has a decent update pledge now so it's nice knowing it should see updates for awhile.

In all, not a bad package for $380. There are things I would change, but for the most part it's what I've been looking for.

It's even on Android 11!

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 26, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Also, the Lenovo Duet exists for around the same $250 price. It comes with a keyboard and kickstand, supports USI stylus, and can be used as a 10" Android tablet without the attachments.

Having full desktop chrome is a huge advantage and ChromeOS is progressing along at a pretty quick pace right now.

It will also be supported longer than a cheap Android tablet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Again, the best inexpensive muck about 10" Android tablet right now is the Lenovo Duet Chromebook.

It has a decent 1080p screen, runs Android apps, runs full chrome, isn't a dog in performance, comes with a kickstand magnetic back and attachable keyboard, and will get monthly updates until June 2028 and you can get a refurb 64gb model on Amazon for $179 right now (new 128gb is $299.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The size difference is pretty significant, but the S7+ has the sweet oled screen and HDR support while the S7 is just LCD and SDR.

The keyboard on the S7+ is serviceable, I just haven't used it much since I mostly use it for media consumption.

I'm not sure what's happening with the S8 since it appears they are adding an even larger and more premium tablet so I'm afraid that will mean pushing the OLED screen further up the size chain.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

L's premier device from Google is likely to be a foldable. There's no hints of a tablet at this time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The best on the market is the Galaxy Tab Active 3 if you are fine with the chunkiness (it's a rugged enterprise device) and can get it on sale.

The screen is good and high resolution. Has a fingerprint sensor. The SoC is also pretty decent. It has a long software support cycle being an enterprise device and has a removable battery while being IP68.

I would absolutely buy the poo poo out of a Tab S8 8.4" device with a 1600x1200 HDR OLED screen and a flagship SoC though. Too bad there's no market.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sourdough posted:

Probably get a Lenovo duet lol

I only just now saw they released a sequel that got oled but is 13" and 16:9, kinda sucks

The duet isn't 8"

It would be nice to have an iPad mini competitor in this space, especially since the iPad mini's screen isn't anything to write home about.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So are iPhones.

The small tablet market in general isn't strong. There's a reason why the iPad Mini just got its first physical redesign after 5 generations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For anyone wanting a premium larger size android tablet and doesn't want Samsung, Lenovo is selling the P12 Pro in the US now for $629.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/tablets/android-tablets/lenovo-tab-series/lenovo-tab--p12--pro/za9d0052us

It's comparable to the Tab S7+ across the board (though I guess the pen isn't quite as finely tuned.)

This tablet should be one of the first to get Android 12L as google was giving discounts to buy it to use the developer preview a few months ago.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 11, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You probably have more options being outside of the US. I think that Xiaomi Pad 5 has been generally well recieved.

One thing I'm looking forward to is hearing more about the Lenovo Legion Y700.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...l.589184.0.html

Looks to be the higher end modern 8" Android tablet that the market has been missing for awhile. No one knows though when it will come out, what regions it will be in, and what the price will ultimately be.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you know OneUI on their phones, it's about the same on the tablets.

It does have significant and useful enhancements for multitasking and I actually find it more useful and functional than the iPad mini I have.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The speakers (on at least the larger plus and ultra, haven't had the 10") are easily the equal of the iPad Pro models.

Battery is hard to quantify given the on and off nature of use, but some tests or there put it just behind the equivalent iPad pro models when used full tilt. Standby drain isn't bad, under 10% per day. Charging is pretty fast if you have a PPS charger. My ultra with the 11,000mAh battery will go from zero to full in under 2 hours with a 45w or higher PPS charger.

The SPen is easily the equal of the Apple Pencil if not better.

The split screen is so easy to use and that's even before getting into Dex.

Visually OneUI is different from the Google style, but it's more "different" now rather than bad (there are still a few things I don't like that I think Google does better on phones, but less of an issue on a tablet.)

Samsung has actually committed to a long update cycle with these tablets now too.

I really like my S8 Ultra and I liked the S7+ before that. I chose to go up rather than do the base simply because I wanted OLED rather than LCD.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

torgeaux posted:

Wait a bit, like a couple of weeks. The Lenovo Y700 gaming tablet should be out.

I really want that thing, but there's no confirmation yet that they are releasing in the US.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The PPS version of Anker’s 1000mAh battery is on sale for $32 today on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portab...aps%2C59&sr=8-4

This should charge the Pixel 6/6 Pro at max rate and recent Samsung devices at 25w.

The only thing is this is being sold by Woot on Amazon and the last thing I got from Woot from amazon ended up in a USPS black hole never to return. I don’t really know if that’s Woot’s fault though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Unlikely. It's tensor so no Qualcomm tax and they managed to put tensor in a $450 phone.

I'm going to guess 10" at $550.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ihmemies posted:

What is their plan with this tablet when they price it $100 higher than base model iPad?

Did you not see the whole home hub docking station thing?

Anyways, you were quoting from May and things have changed since then, I'm betting it's going to be closer to $400 now.

And I will die on this hill. Unless you are in the small niche of creative apps like drawing, video editing, or photo editing, Android tablets offer a better app and multitasking experience.

I have an iPad Mini and I would in a heartbeat trade it for a Galaxy Tab of the same form factor as long as it was a QHD screen and had biometrics and a non-potato SoC.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm just bumping this up because it has been confirmed that the OnePlus Pad is in fact coming to the US. No word on price yet and it's hard to speculate since this is a new product category for them, but the use of a Mediatek precessor seems to indicate that they are trying to keep cost down. It's the Dimensity 9000 so it's not really a slouch.

https://www.oneplus.com/us/oneplus-pad

It's using a 7:5 aspect ratio which should be pretty nice for two side by side apps. It puts it just around 10mm bigger than the iPad Air in both directions so it shouldn't be unwieldy in either orientation.

144hz LCD with 500 Nits of brightness and Dolby Vision capability. 2800x2000 resolution which gives it a 296ppi density. 67w charging and a claimed 1 month of standby. Quad speakers that reorient themselves based on landscape or portrait. Keyboard folio and 2mn pen will also be available (no word if they are both separate purchases.)

Obviously price will make it break it, but it's nice to have a compelling new option for a well supported tablet in the US. Lenovo is the only other player besides Samsung on the higher end and their software support is crap.

I have a Tab S8 Ultra right now and I'm planning on keeping it because it's great for media consumption, but it's not exactly a hand held device. The smaller S8+ has a similar problem (still a tad too big for handheld). The base Tab S8 is closer, but I think the 16:10 aspect ratio is a liability at this size (which is funny since I was a former advocate of that aspect ratio for tablets, but split screen and apps have evolved since then.). The base Tab S8 also doesn't have HDR for video playback.

I still would love to have a dedicated Android tablet in the unfolded Fold 4 form factor. Apps work pretty drat well on that screen size/shape and having a more durable body that was slightly thicker and without hinge so it would have more battery would be a perfect iPad mini alternative.

It goes up for preorder in April so we should find out the price then.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a rumor for the launch period of the Pixel tablet?

Most think around Google IO which hasn't been announced yet but is usually in May.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

:tipshat:

Tho I wonder if the Pixel tablet, or the Oneplus Pad, would really suit my use case any better. I currently use my ipad air 3 as my tablet and it's pretty much purely a Plex playback device, with battery life, audio and screen as the areas where I'd most like to see an improvement if I were to get something new.

I view pretty much all tablets as pure luxury devices. I do have an iPad Mini 6 and I do end up using that lot due to its size but even over a year later I clash hard with iOS and I feel like, for the apps that I use, Android is better optimized for large screen use than iOS.

Until the Pixel tablet has more details and price, it's hard to know where it will fit in with things. For media consumption, display is king and if I'm not getting an OLED it needs to be a top notch LCD with good features. The Pixel tablet stand is a very good thing though and I would probably consider it even if I wasn't going to use it as a tablet much as a very large screen Google Home.

I buy way too much poo poo so I'll probably get the OnePlus Pad as well as long as it's reasonably priced. I've been very satisfied with my Tab S8 Ultra, but it's also not much different than using a 2:1 notebook with the keyboard folded back or removed. It is not in any way shape or form a handheld device, even two hands, without having the kickstand back on it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Any reason why you aren't looking at the Tab Active 3? It seems like the more direct and recent replacement for what you have. It's currently up to date with Android 13 OneUI 5.1.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 3, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I plunked down the $99. If the thing is too out of line price wise, it’s refundable.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, that's pretty much emblematic of it being released in 2013. SoCs were still undergoing rapid development and advancement at that time.

I would say 2018 was around the point where software requirements started to fall off and SoCs became overpowered to the point where devices kept utility after 4+ years.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 19, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really really wanted an 8" tablet with an OLED >=90hz screen with biometrics.

I have an iPad Mini 6 and it's aggressively competent but I really hate the screen.

Otherwise Galaxy Fold 4 kinda fills the niche.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I legitimately think Ron doesn't like reviewing devices anymore. I really can't think of the last positive review he's had on anything.

I still hate that all the reviews are trotting out the same tired "no tablet optimized apps" over and over. I own an iPad. Tablet optimization sucks on that side of the OS aisle too outside of a very narrow range of content creation apps and I'm so loving tired of every device review hinging on content creation because it's such a miniscule use case for most people.

Honestly, I've run across more iOS only apps that render like an iPhone 4 on the iPad than I have apps with outright broken scaling on Android.

Here's the dirty little secret why tablet optimized apps are so few and far between on both platforms, running apps full screen is dumb as poo poo and not the point to having a big screen device. Games and videos are full screen things. The same can be said for creative work like drawing, photo editing, and video editing. Everything else is better is better suited for phone layout with multitasking and multitasking on iPads is still very basic.

I do say though, I was/am still very close to cancelling my preorder due to the fact that the thing lacks a loving fingerprint sensor. Who thought that was a good idea in 2023. I can somewhat excuse $150 basic tablets for not having biometrics, but it kinda sucks for a nearly $500 tablet.

On the flipside though, this is the cheapest you are going to get an HDR enabled display.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 28, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

How do you unlock it anyways? Activate the display via the power button and a swipe on the lockscreen?

It has face unlock, so I assume if you have that enabled it will either be pick up to wake or double tap on the screen to wake and then it will take you right in. Otherwise, you'll get a PIN or pattern prompt I guess.

I just don't like not having biometrics due to using a password vault. My master 1password passphrase is very long and I'm not going to type it every time. But it feels like enabling PIN unlock on my 1password app degrades security too much.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wow, leakers were way off on price. $499 including dock.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My OnePlus Pad arrives tomorrow, but I still pre-ordered the Pixel tablet.

I have a regular Google Nest Hub in my living room so regardless of everything else, this is a new Hub Max that can be disconnected to use as a tablet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I will.

Honestly not sure why I bought it other than to check it out. Only tablets that really make sense are 8" ones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Heh, posted in the wrong thread about the Xperia 1 V

Anyways, OnePlus pad arrived and initial impressions are good. I have zero clue what Ron was going on about with the display, it's great.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 11, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm going to reiterate that I have no idea what the display complaints were. It's probably the best non-oled display I've seen on a tablet.

The aspect ratio is cool but I do wish the thing was just a tiny bit smaller.

The multiwindow multitasking isn't quite as seamless as Samsung's implementation, but it's usable. Bit thing is if you save an app pair, it doesn't remember the split you might have configured, it just goes straight 50/50 when you use the pair shortcut. Given the aspect ratio, it's not so bad and that split works pretty well for most apps.

Also, the speakers are probably the best I've heard on a tablet even including my Tab S8 Ultra.

The weird stuff. It has both the Google Dialer and Google Messages preinstalled even though there's no cellular version. Now, my Tab S8 Ultra also has Messages installed, but when you open it on that tablet, it knows it doesn't have a sim and gives you the messages for web QR code and you can pair your phone. That doesn't happen on the OnePlus Pad though, it acts like a phone but it can never send messages.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 13, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I got mine today too. I really like it but I haven't had much of a chance to just use it yet.

The new material you weather app is slick as hell though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tablets are tablets, even in the Apple world they aren’t exactly exciting anymore and have kinda reached a wall of innovation.

FYIW, the LCDs on both the OnePlus Tab and the Pixel tablet kick the poo poo out of the screen in the ipad mini 6.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the black level of the iPad Mini 6 is hilariously bad for its price. It may be color accurate and high density, but it can also only do grey, not black

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lenovo is launching the next gen Legion Y700 on July 22nd it seems. Hopefully they'll do global availability this time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, it's literally all I really want out of an Android Tablet, but I'm not importing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm just not buying something that wasn't officially offered here due to warranty and other localization concerns.

They'll have me as a customer if they sell it, but I'll just keep using the iPad mini and my Pixel Fold if they don't want to bother.