Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

As far as I know there are only four that run Lollipop, the Nexuses 7 (2012 & 2013), 9, and 10. Only two fit your criteria of being between 8 and 10 inches, so either the Nexus 9 or 10. The Nexus 9 is almost certainly preferable to the 10 despite both having oddball SoCs.

The Shield Tablet has lollipop as well.

However, from some reading. Lollipop(Any device that uses it) has huge memory leaks right now and can require daily restarts or you'll see RAM usage spike over 1GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone use sRGB on their Shield tablet? I find the whites too red. Also is it oscine to make your own color correction preset?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

I know but none of the NVidia SOC supports native LTE, do they?

Nothing I see from Nvidia or any other architecture overview article says that it has LTE built in. The Shield SoC though is 4+1 A15 core design where as the Nexus 9 is dual core.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Bhm posted:

Oh, ok my bad. Saw all the crap about the Tegra K1 and got worried. Thanks!

Do yourself a favor and buy a high capacity microSD card. I plan on dropping back down to KK though since my memory editing apps don't work anymore in lollipop. Personal suggestion, Samsung's Pro line. I get 50/70 write read speeds with it through the tablet itself, rated for 70/100.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 25, 2015

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

JayKay posted:

Anyone here with a Shield Portable and a Shield Tablet? Worth it? Overkill?

While I love my Portable for controller gaming (Steam, Streaming, etc), it really sucks as a tablet. I'm somewhat tempted to pick up a Shield Tablet to scratch my tablet itch but I feel it might be overkill.

Edit: Most of my mobile gaming is done on my iPhone. The Shield is used mostly for Steam, Grid, and in home streaming.

Plays any Android game without problem. Using the awful app in portrait works really well. Videos look really good when set to fill vertically. It cuts off a really small bit on the sides for 720/1080 making the Bezel the only black bars. I wouldn't suggest vertically fitting movies though.

Portrait leaves something to desire when trying to use it one handed. The Bezel is REALLY thin on the sides. This, again, nice for videos.

The speakers are nice and loud. Using something like MX player you can increase the volume by 100%. There seems to be a weird problem with lollipop on the shield where loading something big can cause weird, loud audio squeaks.

Getting back to 4.4 was really easy. Nvidia had a stock ROM installer you run from your PC that will make the tablet entirely stock from recovery to OS. Also, unlocking your boot loader does NOT void your warranty.

If you have any specific questions just ask. There are a lot of nice things about this tablet.

Mini-HDMI output, microSDXC support for up to like 128GB w/ write/reads in the 50/70+ MBps, lot of different case types available.

I tried XMultiWindow, but I have no clue how to use it. I got it to work once, however just from that one off chance thing it didn't seem really good. Side by side in landscape the windows were really too small to be usable.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 17, 2015

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Daimo posted:

Wow what a moron.

I'm a moron for not wanting every hour or so for there to be LOUD squeaking audio pops during videos, games, web browsing? Like these are ear hurting sounds. Haven't had any of it since I've gotten back to 4.4

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Usually when you talk about using your phone or tablet as a Wi-Fi hotspot, you can connect it to another Wi-Fi network. This would require a second Wi-Fi module to be out in the device.

You can share your Wi-Fi connection through USB or Bluetooth, but not Wi-Fi.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My tablet is one of the effected devices. Looks like I'll be getting a new tablet!

Also, Kingroot 4.0 works for rooting the new update. You don't have to go through TWRP and all that jazz to root if you use King. However, Kinguser will be your su app. So if you want SuperSu, you'll still have to go through all that TWRP jazz.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I was going to suggest a Nvidia Shield tablet, but it looks like with the recall and them having to replace all the units. You can't find any on the shelves.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My Notice letter with my replacement specifically said not to throw it away as they would be shipping me a box to return the old one in.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The problem is that the whole process is being handled by a third-party company. Who is apparently lovely at their jobs.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Even just a $20 offering would sound better than the built in one.

Walmart has this great policy where you can return items no questions asked for thirty days with receipt.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 22, 2015

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

JayKay posted:

I apologize if this is a repeated question. I tried using forums search and I ended up in a Demon Souls thread.

Nexus 9 vs Shield Tablet. Any preference? I already own a Shield Portable which I love for streaming games from my PC however it sucks as a tablet. Whatever I buy is going to come from Swappa.

Edit: Apparently I asked something similar back in February :v:

They seemed to have fixed to the audio popping in the tablet. I find that after a few days I need to restart the tablet to restore performance. I think I'm going to install a custom rom at some point.

It is still a good tablet. The nexus 9 is just plain bad as a tablet. As it uses a 64-bit system, but no one is coding for it.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Looks like Nvidia was finally able to get some stock out for Shield Tablets. They're re-releasing the tablet to the general public again and at a lower price point. However, they're not re-releasing the 32GB tablet.

The 16GB is available on their website for $199. http://shield.nvidia.com/store/tablet/k1

Two caveats though
No included charger
No stylus holder anymore(No stylus included either)

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 17, 2015

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

Google has historically hated on removable storage, because of needing to support FAT32/exFAT and the various security and privacy problems that go along with it.

With Marshmallow they added adopting, which throws out FAT compatibility and makes the storage just more storage. It took them too long to get around to just doing that, but they are unlikely to drop that feature now that it's in there.

I never understood why they didn't just make external SD cards "just another storage device". Like, I understand that somethings need to go on main storage device. But why not just implement JBOD type storage for Android. Granted it makes the SD card more vital to operation of the device itself.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Any one know if decent tablet mounting solutions? I'm looking for a mount for my grandmother for her bed. Not opposed to having to screw things in to secure them. I know RAM Mounts makes tablet holders and has screw in mounting bases for them. If anyone had any other suggestions I would like to know though.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

Such as?

The Shield tablet has a 1920x1200 screen.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

sweart gliwere posted:

Since 2013 N7 was mentioned as a decent reader but this specific deal hasn't, here's $130 for 2013 N7 tablet + qi stand + dock.
http://store.asus.com/us/item/201512AM030002117

Straight from Asus USA, and apparently neither refurbed nor reboxed. Good price on a good (older) nexus.

It might be refurb, only a 90-Day warranty.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The Shield K1 is getting the Marshmellow OTA right now. Nvidia says that Shield Tablets Wifi/LTE should be getting Marshmellow early 2016.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anyone got a recommendation for a 10" tablet? I was looking at getting the Lenovo TAB 2 for my mother since her Nexus 10 is giving out. Trying to keep it under $200 and this was about the best I found.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Virtue posted:

Anyone with a K1 want to comment on SD cards? I've been eyeing some 128gb samsungs but am hesitating since google turns up some people who say it won't work or won't format properly.

Nvidia advertises 128GB cards to work.

Personal suggestion.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U77V5KU/ref=twister_B00WECRAF0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=desktop

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=desktop

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 21, 2016

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You said so yourself, Samsung has some problems in the Shield tablet. Lexar would be the next best choice. The first option is a 300 MB/s card for $120. The second is a 150 MB/s card for $60. Finally, the last one is the equivalent of a Samsung Pro Micro SD.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The Marshmallow android OTA update is now available through for the original Shield. My tablet just asked me to download it a couple hours ago.

No download link available from their website yet. If you have a rooted device, you'll need to do a Full OTA update.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 2, 2016

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Boywunda posted:

Be careful upgrading. I have an un-rooted Original Shield Tablet and after the OTA finished, my WiFi is broken. Stuck on "Turning on WiFi". I've rebooted it multiple times and it hasn't fixed it. I'm attempting a factory reset now, but from what I've read it hasn't fixed the issue for others yet.

Someone said they were able to fix wifi issues by doing a Cache wipe in recovery. I already upgraded to Marshmallow and WiFi is working fine for me. I did a Full Update instead of the other, normal OTA. My tablet was also rooted and unlocked bootloader.

Edit: Nvidia has turned off the update until further notice. As apparently, a larger number of people are having WiFi problems. They're going to investigate before turning the update back on.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 2, 2016

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I use ES Media Explorer and just have a sharable folder on my computer. It's a lot simpler than anything else.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a or had experience with a Lenovo Tab 2 A10 10" tablet? It has a 1080p ips screen, 2gb ram, 16gb storage, with a mSD slot. Thinking of getting one as a gift for my mother who's Nexus 10 screen has like completely yellowed (Think it's from her smoker's fingers.)

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Apple put NVME storage in their iPhone 6 using a combination of UFS and eMMC.

fishmech posted:

And move to what? It seems like it works quite well, and it's not like Intel Xpoint is going to be available for a while.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I feel the exact opposite of my Shield tablet. Last night I went on an uninstall binge, if I leave the tablet alone for too long it becomes lagtastic for like 5-10 minutes after I pick it back up. The battery still holds up, but the performance just sucks. I've tried flashing stock Nvidia provided android, rooting it, and freezing unessentials, but it just doesn't help. It's probably an issue with the storage that just can't be fixed.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Looking for some options for my grand mother for a tablet. She has a fire tablet right now, but it's too small for her. I believe it's the 7" version. I'm trying to figure out if getting a 10" tablet would be best or some kind of set top+monitor solution.

Couple options I was looking at.
  • Galaxy View for $400 + some kind of mounting option(Can't find any though)
  • Android set top + monitor + monitor arm
  • 10 tablet, probably Fire, + tablet floor stand
  • Something else that I haven't thought of

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
She's old, she doesn't need portability, she has bad eye sight. She has a lot of books through Kindle services and android/fireos would be easiest for her to use. Shes like 75% confined to a hospital bed, thats why all the mounting options.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 24, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

Looking for some options for my grand mother for a tablet. She has a fire tablet right now, but it's too small for her. I believe it's the 7" version. I'm trying to figure out if getting a 10" tablet would be best or some kind of set top+monitor solution.

Couple options I was looking at.
  • Galaxy View for $400 + some kind of mounting option(Can't find any though)
  • Android set top + monitor + monitor arm
  • 10 tablet, probably Fire, + tablet floor stand
  • Something else that I haven't thought of

So I went and purchased the Fire HD 10 with a $50 floor stand, this one specifically. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XXMMKHS/ It has a weighted base, I think all together it weighs ~14 lbs. It can be used in both portrait and landscape, but requires adjustment of the tightening ring on the back. It uses a ball and socket joint for rotation.

The Fire 10 dimensions make the tablet look longer than it's 16:10 aspect ratio. It looks like some kind of 21:9 monitor with the screen turned off. Overall though she loves the tablet and it's easier on her eye sight. The stand definitely allows her to enjoy the tablet more because she doesn't have to hold it all the time to use it.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's also worth noting that the shield tablet came out in, what, 2014? It got a little refresh in 2015 but the specs stayed the same. It's pretty drat old by phone/tablet standards. It's nice that it got 7.0 but I don't expect it to get anything past that.

FWIW 7.0 seems pretty fast on mine, make sure you're not using adopted storage because that poo poo slows it down and totally sucks.

Holy crap, adopted storage was the cause of the majority of my slow downs. Jesus christ, why is it so poo poo.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

But guys SD cards are totally fine and not garbage!

I have a samsung 64gb that can do 90mb/s reads when connected to my PC.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kheldarn posted:

Lenovo Tab 4 can now be pre-ordered from Amazon & Newegg. Maybe the 8+ & 10+ will be out by the end of summer?

I actually purchased a Lenovo tab a210 for my mother a couple weeks ago for $159. I probably say it's on par with those current tablets but with the full HD IPS screen it's a much better buy in my opinion.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

maskenfreiheit posted:

Do I have to jailbreak to access that? All I see is the play store...

Get the Amazon store app from Amazon themselves. Then through their app you install the video app.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah, Amazon has it for $130, and the 10" for $180. And yet, they both have a smaller native resolution (1280x800) than the 7" Nexus 7 2013 (1920x1200). Does that make a big difference? Because at $180, I'm tempted to get the 10. The gyroscope died on my N7-13 (will only rotate when an app forces it to; can't do AR stuff like Pokémon GO), and I've had issues where it freezes, I reboot it, it gets stuck in a bootloop, and I have to factory reset it.

Everything is basically going to be bigger. If you want to compare 1280x800 to 1920x1200 just set your monitor resolution to 1280 and then load up a website. The jist is websites requiring more scrolling and text is going to be pretty big on a 10".

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

a7m2 posted:

The Android thread didn't answer so maybe that was the wrong thread. Let's try here.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A in China and want to flash it with not-Chinese firmware. I've never flashed anything before and I'm a little antsy about loving up so I just want to make sure what the best method is. Most of the Google results suggest using a tool called Odin. Would you guys say this is a good guide to follow? https://updato.com/how-to/how-to-install-an-official-samsung-stock-firmware-using-odin

Are there better guides out there? Where is the best place to download the firmware? I don't need a rooted device or anything, I just don't want it to have the Chinese firmware.

XDA is the best place to go for rooting, custom roms, etc etc. https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-a/development

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, it's literally all I really want out of an Android Tablet, but I'm not importing it.

I got mine from GizTop when it first came out. I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever. GizTop is selling the 8GB 128GB version for $350 vs the $500 launch price. The 12GB 256GB is $400 from $600. I don't know why you wouldn't need anything more than the SD870. The best I like about it is that screen isn't OLED. Really snappy, use NA play store and everything else. I guess the only reason why I think you might want like a SD8G2 is for high end emulators.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Why is having an OLED display a bad thing

I don't want to have to worry about burn in. Especially with games since they have so many static elements. I'll leave games running over night.