Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I have an issue with my N7 2013. Is this the thread to ask about it in, or should I ask in the Android thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

For some reason, when I plug it in to my computer, images just show up as an icon. It doesn't matter if it's a photo or screenshot I took, or an image I downloaded. All I see is an icon showing that it's an image. On my phone, I can see every image on it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 details leaked

SoC: Snapdragon 820
RAM: 4GB
Display: 9.6-inch 2048x1536
Camera: 12MP rear, 5MP front
Software Android 7.0
Measurements: 5.6mm thick

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

My Nexus 7 (2013) isn't booting. It'll show the boot animation, then Starting Apps, and then go back to the Boot Animation, where it stays, while the screen gets bright, then dark.

I'm screwed, aren't I?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It is unlocked, but I'm having a hard time getting it to boot into recovery mode. It seems to take 5 or more tries to get it, because more often than not, it just turns off.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I finally managed to get in, and do a factory reset. So far, everything seems to be OK.

Also, I was wondering, is it possible to root and stick a custom as close to stock as possible Android 7.x ROM on it, then remove root and keep Android 7?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tunga posted:

You don't need root to install a ROM. Root is an OS-level concept. If your bootloader is unlocked then you can flash whatever you want onto the thing. I can't say anything for the quality of whatever random third-party ROM you might find to do this though.

Oh. Thanks for the info. That's very nice to know.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Acer announces new 10-inch tablets, one with a pseudo-quantum dot display.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

LastInLine posted:

You know, I was thinking about upgrading to the N7 2017, but now I'm thinking I'd rather get the N7 2018. Thoughts?

I'm holding out for the N7 2020, myself.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ASUS quietly unveils the ZenPad 3S 8.0 at Computex

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Lenovo Tab 4 can now be pre-ordered from Amazon & Newegg. Maybe the 8+ & 10+ will be out by the end of summer?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

E2M2 posted:

The Lenovo Tab 4 has 2gb of ram, and I think 7.0 at least. Also I believe its $130 for the 8".

Yeah, Amazon has it for $130, and the 10" for $180. And yet, they both have a smaller native resolution (1280x800) than the 7" Nexus 7 2013 (1920x1200). Does that make a big difference? Because at $180, I'm tempted to get the 10. The gyroscope died on my N7-13 (will only rotate when an app forces it to; can't do AR stuff like Pokémon GO), and I've had issues where it freezes, I reboot it, it gets stuck in a bootloop, and I have to factory reset it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I wouldn't be using it as web browser or an eReader. I mainly use M7-13 for gaming. Right now, I play Final Fantasy Brave Exvius and Kingdom Hearts Union X. I also side-load Pokémon GO onto it so that I can use the VR stuff when I'm home. I'll be adding Final Fantasy Legends II and Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp to it when they come out next month (first and last of the month, respectively).

Now, if I can flash a custom ROM to an HDX, and still do the above, I'll have to really think about getting it instead.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I love Android, and I'm not a huge fan of iOS. However, Google has commitment issues. They can't make a messenger that competes with iMessage. They make 3, 4, 5+ different apps that all do the same thing, and all end up abandoned.

Google really needs someone at the helm to unify them. I don't think they need to be Apple levels of iOS, but they do need to step it up. I honestly think that if Google commited to the Nexus 7 tablet line like Apple did to the iPad line, we'd be getting a Nexus 7 (2018). Look what they did with the Pixel phone. Now imagine if they did that for a Nexus 7 (2018).

fishmech posted:

The market for all tablets has largely been eaten away by larger phones and cheaper laptops - data for the entirety of 2017 hasnt come out yet but last year companies in the tablet space were considered to do well if they kept their year on year loss of raw sales versus 2016 to under 5%, with tablet sales continuously declining each quarter year-on-year since mid 2014. That said Apple still has mostly been bouncing around the 33% share mark for the past few years in the the tablet space and Amazon is usually around 15-20% - a lot of the rest is Samsungs and Huaweis and Lenovos.

I honestly think that, like I said above, if Google just commited to the Tablet, things would be a lot better than they are.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

fishmech posted:

Apple's been committed to tablets for years, has all the brand recognition in the world, all that stuff. They still sold just 11.4 million iPads in the 3rd quarter of 2017 (last quarter with data available) versus 12.2 million back in 3Q14.

People just don't want tablets that much these days.

Right. But I think that if Google was as commited as Apple from the start, those numbers would be much higher. However, we'll never know.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, that HD8 is Very Tempting. Not fond of the fact I can't root & install AOSP on it, but...

How's it for gaming? I play Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, Kingdom Hearts Union X, Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia, and Final Fantasy Awakening on my N7 2013.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/06/01/google-removes-tablet-section-android-website/

Looks like Google is unofficially officially done with Android tablets.

Update: It's back

https://twitter.com/lockheimer/status/1003122415742771200

According to a tweet by Hiroshi Lockheimer, the removal of the tablets section of the Android site was the result of a bug during a recent site update. We can confirm that the missing section has now been restored—even if it's still advertising such dated specimens as the Galaxy Tab S2 8.0.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Huawei MediaPad M5 8", 10", and 10" Pro are available on Amazon and Newegg for $319, $359, and $449, respectively

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I only watch stuff like that on my computer or TV, and use my tablet mostly for gaming, so no real loss for me.

Still, your point is valid.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Welp. The charging port on my N7-13 died. Looks like I'll be getting one of those new Huawei MediaPads. Probably go for the 10". Of course, it's probably not going to happen until around September, so that should be plenty of time to see if they're worth it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

clockworx posted:

Just get a Qi charging base and charge wirelessly.

I forgot that this tablet does that. Thanks!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Anrdoid Police put up their review of the Huwei MediaPad M5 tablets.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5" announced with 1200p display and Android 8.1 Oreo. No price listed yet, but AP expects it to be cheaper than the Tab S4.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Android Police says to Just Say No to Galaxy Tab S4:

I'll cut to the chase: for all but the Samsung diehards, this tablet simply isn't worth the money, and for anyone hoping that DeX and a $150 keyboard dock bridge the tablet and laptop divide better than a Chromebook, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm very much leaning towards getting one of those MedaiPads come September. I'm thinking of upgrading from the 7" of my N7 (13) to the 10" (non-pro). The main thing I'd use it for is games.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Amazon Fire HD 10 is $50 off. The 32 GB model is $100, and the 64 GB model is $140.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

KaLogain posted:

The Device Management software on my Samsung Tablet S3 doesn't recognize that I've moved my Amazon Kindle app to the external storage. Sometimes it gets reset to be on the Internal Storage. Is there a way to fix this or force it to stay on the larger External storage?

Is it consistently moving it? Because I've noticed that any app I move to external storage is automatically moved back to internal storage every time there's an update for the app.

I've turned off automatic updates, so that I can see what apps will get moved, then I move them back after I update. Real pain in the rear end.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The Huawei Mediapad M5 is like $300 and is the first actually good reasonably priced 8" Android tablet in ages and ages. Easily the first time it's worth buying a non-iPad tablet in years. It has a quick 8-core Kirin 960, 2560x1600 quality LCD, a huge battery, and USB-C fast charging. It feels shockingly good in your hand too, unlike a cheap plastic garbage Kindle Fire. No headphone jack, but it doesn't kill the thing.

Yeah, that's a good tablet. I've been using a Nexus 7 (2013) since… 2014 or 2015? It needs replacing, but there was never anything at least as good in the same size and price range.

Until this came out.

I was going to buy one, but Amazon says they're out of stock, and they have no idea when or if they'll get more.

I did put it on my Christmas list, so maybe I'll get it that way.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Moey posted:

My Tab S 8.4 is still useable because of LineageOS.

Also doesn't the MediaPad still have issues when using WiFi and BT at the same time? Quite the kick in the dick without a headphone jack.

I have no use for BT or headphones on my tablet, so that's a non-issue for me.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Two questions about my Nexus 7 (2013):

1) Is there any way to get rid of the ugly blob emjoi that doesn't require root/a custom ROM?

2) Is there any way to get the Google Weather Widget on a tablet that doesn't require root/a custom ROM?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Amazon has the Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4" on sale for $279.99.

I just ordered mine. Any recommended cases for this?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

My MediaPad arrived today. Man, it is so fast. Things look and sound great, too!

Finally, a worth successor to my Nexus 7 (2013).

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Moey posted:

How's the OS on there? I need to find something to replace my Galaxy Tab S 8.4.

LineageOS gave it some new life but I think it's time for an upgrade.

It's Huawei's EMUI version of Android 8. It's my first time using any version of Android beyond 6.0.1, so it seems fine to me.

I like that instead of a static wallpaper for the lock screen, it has something called Magazine Unlock. It comes with 20 pictures in both portrait and landscape mode, and every time you power on the screen, it shows a different one. It's not random, though. And you can add your own images into the rotation, though if they're not made for landscape, they don't rotate well.

The sound is great, as are graphics. I don't consume media like YouTube/Netflix/Hulu on anything other than my desktop, but the games I play look and sound better than they did on my N7.

Huawei's QuickCharge works fine for me, though it's been reported that if you have a QC wall plug with multiple USB slots, when you plug in the tablet, it ups everything 19 watts (9.15v 2 amp), so that can harm non-QC devices plugged into the other slot(s).

At launch, you could unlock the bootloader, but Huawei decided to remove that option. The only info I've found for rooting on XDA requires you to actually purchase the only program that can root it.

Also, for some reason, Huawei decided to not allow you to move apps to the SD card.

Overall, I'm still happy with it. I charged it to 100% last night, unplugged it at midnight, and when I got up at 9 AM this morning, it's still sitting at 100%. My N7, by comparison, would have been at ~50%-60%.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Wibbleman posted:

So which one did you get? the 8" or the 10"? (or even the 10 pro).

I am also considering a replacement for my TabS 8.4 which while it still runs needs a factory default before being "promoted" to being the kids tablet.

Sorry, I got the 8.4. Since the 10 has the power & volume on the bottom in portrait mode (and that's mainly how I use it), I decided against it. The price has gone back up to $319 on Amazon, though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

1) Not every app will rotate when you do that.
2) I, personally, do not want the buttons on the top or bottom. It's bad enough Power and Volume are on the same side, meaning I hit power when trying to change the volume.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

black.lion posted:

Fire Tablets are Android? Bc the app I need to use is on the Android app store

Yeah. They run a heavily modified version of Android.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

A D&D buddy of mine works in the Claims Department for Walmart. According to him, avoid anything Onn. It's standard Chinese trash where they just grab random leftover parts and assemble something.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Looks neat, but anything larger than an 8 inch tablet is just too unwieldy for me.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Only available as a 10"? Easy pass.

ETA: I hope it does well, though. My Nexus 7 was the best tablet I've ever owned, and I'd love to see Google start making tablets again.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Lenovo is launching the next gen Legion Y700 on July 22nd it seems. Hopefully they'll do global availability this time.

The specs for the original model from last year look pretty good, and being a refresh, they should be better this time around. Plus, it's an 8" tablet. I really hope there's a global release for it, but I'm not expecting it...