Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

That line of thinking still doesn't makes sense as there would have been no reason to rev the version number. If recovery needed to be patched to allow 5.1 update, then they could have pushed just a patch for that.

Also note, they didn't say 5.1.1, they said 5.1. So, I'm not holding my breath that it's going to be 5.1.1.

Easier answer is it's just google being google.

Revving the version number is standard engineering practice, dude. Having two patch levels with the same version number is something to be avoided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

As I understand it the X1 requires wall power and a cooling fan. Unless you're asking for a cut-down / slower version.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I like 4:3 tablets, but it is true, I don't use my tablet for watching pirated animes.

4:3 is nice for browsing and reading.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

IuniusBrutus posted:

Is the Nexus 9 still terrible? Or has it been made less terrible with software updates? I can deal with the light bleed/squishy back, more concerned about general performance and reliability.

It's definitely less terrible with software updates, IF you factory reset after applying 5.1.1.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

For those considering the Nexus 9, the 16GB version is on sale for $290 (27% off) at Expansys:

http://www.expansys-usa.com/google-nexus-9-wi-fi-16gb-indigo-black-268546/

Doesn't show as being in stock, however.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

The N10 just shows none of the random pauses and hangs that the N9 does.

bull3964 posted:

I'm going to hang on to the N9 for now, probably through the official M rollout, just on the off chance it gets sorted.
Have you tried doing a factory reset on the N9 after installing the 5.1.1 OTA? It made a noticeable improvement on mine.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

I wish there was a modern Transformer, I loved the keyboard and touchpad on my original release one, but it just ended up too slow and low res.
I loved my Transformer but it's certainly no use in 2015.

I really wish Google would ease their rule that only Chrome OS may be in that form factor and embrace something like this:
http://www.cube-tablet.com/cube-i7-remix-11-6-inch-64-bit-intel-tablet.html

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I've used Chromebooks, I like Chromebooks, but Google is stupid for spending the engineering effort to turn Android APKs into web apps or whatever the hell that Android-in-Chrome deal is instead of just embracing Android as an operating system for running local apps on the local system.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Employees: get a Windows tablet.

There's nothing like Active Directory or Group Policy in Android or iOS and you won't achieve the level of control you're looking for with any other platform.
I hear you can lock poo poo down pretty tight on Chromebooks, and some of those now come in flip-over yoga tablet form factor.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It really would be better with multiwindow, but Google can't bring themselves to just adopt Samsung's version.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sioux posted:

What's all this Nexus 9 hatred? I'm in the market for my first tablet and I was looking at that one too. I just want a nice tablet to internet browse with and use (Play Store) apps. 9+ inch in diameter. My wife has a Nexus smartphone which is really good, isn't the tablet ok? What about the Samsung tablets? Budget is ~300-400 euro's.
The Nexus 9 is the one and only device with the nVidia Project Denver processor, which was a bit of an experiment and has issues with hitching / stuttering, especially when switching between apps / tasks. If you are sensitive to that kind of thing, it will drive you crazy.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

JayKay posted:

So it's the same thing under the hood but minus a bunch of accessories?
Yes, it's the same internals in a slightly different shell that lacks a slot for the stylus.

And it's minus everything. The box contains the tablet, and a small pamphlet with the phone number for support. There is no charger, no cable, no stylus, no earbuds, nothing.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Daimo posted:

I didn't know that about Marshmallow, but support for removable storage by google has been so whimsical I wouldn't even consider relying on it for several more generations of Android. By contrast Apple are so certain they have gone up to 128gb.

Google has historically hated on removable storage, because of needing to support FAT32/exFAT and the various security and privacy problems that go along with it.

With Marshmallow they added adopting, which throws out FAT compatibility and makes the storage just more storage. It took them too long to get around to just doing that, but they are unlikely to drop that feature now that it's in there.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

SlayVus posted:

I never understood why they didn't just make external SD cards "just another storage device". Like, I understand that somethings need to go on main storage device. But why not just implement JBOD type storage for Android. Granted it makes the SD card more vital to operation of the device itself.

This is, roughly, what adoptable storage is, available starting with Marshmallow.

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding / lack of understanding of adoptable storage, here's a little writeup Android Central did:
Inside Marshmallow: Adoptable storage

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Calidus posted:

$200 Nexus 9 vs $200 Shield?

I think they are both good (depending how much you personally are bothered by the Nexus 9's jank) but have different audiences. The size difference is enough that they have different levels of portability / practicality for different use cases.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

You can now buy the Pixel C tablet on the Google store.

You shouldn't, but you can.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Shield K1 is like 99% of being Nexus 7 2015, nVidia has been pretty good about keeping things fairly stock and getting updates out.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

In a choice between a 2013 N7 and a Shield K1 I definitely pick the Shield K1.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Wandle Cax posted:

But the settings is actually telling me "245mb on SD card" and "33mb on device" for one app's example. This is not the case though all the data is on the device and not a thing on the SD card, why is it lying to me?!

e: just formatted the sd card so there is nothing on it, removed it entirely from the device. then i deleted the apps i had on the device. i downloaded a game from the play store and it still shows straight away 400mb stored on sd card when there is no card in the device. wtf.

Some devices have an "emulated" SD card which is actually in the internal storage, making an SD card useless for moving apps. If that's your case the only thing an SD card is useful for is e.g. camera apps that let you specify a custom storage location.

Unfortunately SD cards weren't fully and properly supported until Marshmallow.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

orinth posted:

What is everyone's thoughts on the galaxy tab s2? I haven't seen it mentioned a ton in this thread or the recommend me a tablet thread.

I've been going back and forth between an ipad mini and the S2, but am leaning towards an android tablet with a microsd slot.

If you're going to an Android tablet with Micro SD, be aware that the handling of SD cards changed dramatically in Android 6.0. So you probably want to either get a tablet which has the 6.0 update, or get a tablet which will never get the 6.0 update (Samsung tablets do seem like a good choice for not getting updates) and know that you'll only be able to use the SD card for some specific things.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What changed in 6.0 other than the option to merge your SD card with your internal storage if you want? Doesn't it otherwise work just like it did in 5.x?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm just confused about suggesting getting a tablet that will never be updated to 6.0. If you're on a previous version and update to 6.0, you'd just continue using the SD card like you were, but now knowing that you have the option to use it as part of the total storage instead. Am I missing something that MM does when you upgrade? I don't actually own a device with an SD slot so I might have missed something.

Other than adopted storage, there are changes to the permission model. Hopefully all your SD-using apps will be / have already been updated, but for me at least I had at least one that suddenly lacked permission to access the SD card despite working on Lollipop.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

guess I can't put android on them, then. oh well, to recycling they go

You can put Android on the HP Touchpad, we're just saying, it may not be a great experience.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Reggie Died posted:

Looking to replace my seemingly ancient iPad with a Android Tablet. I'm new to the Android ecosystem; is there an advantage to going with a Samsung tablet if I have a Samsung phone?

I was looking at the S2, but all I really do with my iPad is browse on Chrome, reddit/SA apps and watch Netflix in bed. Is there anything terribly wrong with the cheaper Tab A / E that I should be weary about? If I'm on a plane (maybe twice a year, tops) I'll play an hour of Kingdom Rush or some such tower D game, but nothing too intense.

I'm not against spending $500-600 on a tablet, just worried about diminishing returns for my usage.

No, there's no need to match your phone and tablet brands.

If you're OK with a smaller tablet, the Shield Tablet K1 is nice.
For larger android tablets everything has some kind of compromise. For example, most of them won't be getting much support in the form of software upgrades etc. The reason to go with a Tab S or Tab S2 (besides the better specs) is that they get at least some security updates.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Syrinxx posted:

My 2012 Nexus 7 is really long in the tooth. It never got the bad flash problem but I want to replace it with something that can play games a bit better because it drags a bit on Hearthstone and Summoners War.

Can anyone recommend a 7-8" tablet that:
- Can play newer games
- Uses Google Play because the games I want aren't on Amaazon yet
- Has at least 1280x800 or better display that is not 4:3
- Has charging port on the short side since I have it in a landscape cradle 99% of the time
- Is cheap af

Thanks!

If you want a 7-8" android tablet you want the Shield Tablet K1.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Must Love Dogs posted:

What seems to be the consensus choice for a good Android tablet with a screen larger that 8 inches? I'm on the road a lot and I was looking for something that's good for reading and some media consumption. I was thinking about getting a PIxel C but it's a bit pricy for what you get. Thoughts?

If anybody is thinking about an 8+ inch Android tablet, HTC is doing a Hot Deals day again on the Nexus 9:
http://www.htc.com/us/go/htc-hot-deals/

16GB Wifi: was $399.00, now $239.40
32GB Wifi: was $479.00, now $287.40

I think the Nexus 9 is a recommend at those prices. It gets updates, and the screen is a nice size / aspect ratio for reading. It sometimes has jank when switching between tasks but it's fine when you stay within an ebook app or Netflix or whatever.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Anandtech did a follow-up report on the Pixel C:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9996/revisiting-the-google-pixel-c

quote:

Ultimately with the new firmware from Google the issues I noted that were specific to the Pixel C itself are essentially all resolved. The crippling issues with touch input are gone, and performance is definitely improved, although Android itself needs some work there

quote:

In the end, Google's fixes to the Pixel C's software have done a lot to address the issues I noted in the original review. Its gone from being a tablet that I could not possibly recommend to anyone, to potentially being the best Android tablet you can buy. Unfortunately that's not a high bar to clear, but it's still a great improvement over the Pixel C with its original firmware.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hmm, the Shield K1 is pretty small for a keyboard cover, even on the Nexus 9 a keyboard cover is cramped and I have tiny fingers. I think I'd be considering a separate bluetooth travel keyboard; Microsoft has one that gets pretty good reviews, for example.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

MikeJF posted:

So was there anything out of MWC to challenge ordering a Shield K1?

No, I only heard about low-end tablet announcements, not a new high performing one. nVidia is expected to present something at GTC (April 4-7) but that's probably about desktop GPUs, not tablets.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there a Samsung tablet with a similar build quality to the Galaxy S6 or S7 with an AMOLED display and expandable storage?

The most recent Samsung tablet generation is the Tab S2, it has microSD support.

For those looking for tablet-optimized apps, Tablified rewrote their app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tablifiedapps.tablifiedmarket

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Renaissance Robot posted:

The charger for my nexus 7 started dying this week, so I did an idiot and plugged the tablet into a dumb (non-switching) 1A charger before going to sleep.

This morning there's a bunch of ash and burnt pcb smell around the charger socket, and the tablet claims it's charging when not plugged in. Pretty sure something around the usb port is hosed because my laptop doesn't recognise it being plugged in either.

Where do I post to be incessantly mocked for this and/or find out the best way to retrieve any passwords/files/etc before the battery goes entirely?

For the backup question, make sure your google sync is working will catch most things, for individual files etc. share to the Google Drive app and they will sync up to the cloud.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Phosphine posted:

Welp. The Nexus 9 has officially been removed from the google store (was "Out of stock" for the last 4 months or so though), the Pixel C has not been added to the store, and the nvidia shield tablet is 1. out of stock and 2. only ever available in the 16GB version. Sweden is not a good place for prospective tablet-havers. Are there any reasonable options besides "wait and hope something shows up"?

The Shield has an SD slot and supports adoptable storage. Some goons have a hate-on for adoptable storage but I haven't had an issue with it (so long as you are using a decent quality micro SD card).

Pixel C and Shield are the official good choices IMO. I might imagine myself using a Samsung Tab S2 if I got an amazing deal and could convince myself I didn't really want to ever get updates after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

I'd say there's an above even chance that we get a new Nexus tablet at I/O. On the one hand, I'd like an update to my 2013 Nexus 7, on the other hand, I can't really say there's anything wrong with it either.

Disagree, I think there is a low chance of any hardware announcement at I/O.

Definitely could be a new Nexus tablet by the end of the year, though.