Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.
I sold my iPad a few months ago when I made the switch to Android, and am dying without a tablet lately. I'm definitely picking this little sucker up but you guys seem to mention that if willing to wait a few days, ordering from the Play store will result in a better customer service experience if there are issues with the tablet. Am I hearing that correctly? Are you guys planning on going the Play store route or the first big box retailer that lights up their button?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Don Lapre posted:

Here.

Order in the next few hours for saturday delivery
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Nexus-Tablet-7-Inch-Black/dp/B00DVFLJKQ

Done and done... I could only get Monday delivery, but oh well.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.
Just cancelled amazon order, best buy just updated with 32gb in stock at a nearby store!

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

FordPRefectLL posted:

I called Best Buy customer service and they said it's processing and they can't hold any inventory while it's processing. They have my money, but I could potentially have to wait another week to get my Nexus 7. What a joke, I sincerely hope Best Buy goes out of business.

EDIT: If I had just walked in without doing in store pickup I'd have one by now, too.

poo poo man that blows. I literally got my "ready for pickup" email within 15 minutes. I do live in rural-ish Washington though.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

No chance of backporting this for an instore pickup is there? or can I pick it up, 'return' it, then rebuy?

I should just shut up and be happy, but $30 is about the gas it'll take me to get there and have a beer while playing with it.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.
I cancelled my amazon order today, they say they will "try" to do it, but if it hasn't shipped I've never had a problem cancelling.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.
Anyone else use 1password? For some reason my new 7 is only syncing one password I created today (for best buy). Phone and laptop still see them all. Makes it hard to configure this drat beautiful thing. I've uninstalled and using cleared data already. Using Dropbox.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Same, except I don't know any store around here that will deal with a single dead pixel.

But don't most of them have a restocking fee if it's open? Maybe that's what he doesn't want to deal with.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.
Not super comforting, my charger that came with the nexus already took a poo poo. I only have about ten of them but still it i. Great now my keyboard has locked up and I have to finish this post by voice typing.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.
Anyone found any cheaper screen protectors than the official Asus one yet? I know they will start popping up soon but I'd like to get something on this thing before it gets a scratch and pisses me off.

Amazon is wanting $18+ for the official Asus (2 covers, 1 matte 1 glossy: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DY3J8UI

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

8th-samurai posted:

I have a Potrtenzo bookcase for my OG Nexus 7 and the smart cover function works great. If/when I upgrade my tablet I will definitely get another one.

drat I just ordered a suede jacket from sfbags but this thing looks even better. I was going to use the jacket plus my pelican 1055 but maybe I'll just use that for big trips and camping and get this thing too. From the reviews it sounds like it's pretty easy to pop out of the case when you don't want it, and the strips can be 'refreshed' but one reviewer said he used it a ton and hadn't had to yet.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

cr0y posted:

Can anyone make a recommendation for a case for the new nexus 7? Amazon has a bunch but I cant figure out what is decent and what is crap.

I went for the slim portenzo and will give impressions when I get it but as long as it's similar to the og 7 one and the magnets work I hope I like it

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Heh, it actually is Korea I'm flying to. Do you have a specific one you can recommend? I'm not too worried about it since I'll be doing music through my phone and I plan on sleeping for at least a few hours of the flight, but it'll be nice to have just in case.

I have this and love it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002D4IHYM/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?qid=1375839120&sr=8-1-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX110_SY190

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

kitten smoothie posted:

My Portenzo Hardback case came today. It's pretty nice, feels like a book binding without the pages. They have some kind of 3M adhesive pads that hold the tablet into the binding. The pads seem pretty strong; it looks like it will take more than a casual amount of effort to pull it off. It has magnets to wake up the tablet when you open the book. So far I am pretty pleased.
Glad to hear. Mine won't be in until Monday.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Cojawfee posted:

I really want to buy a portenza case. I just ordered some motorola bluetooth keyboard that had good reviews.

Now two days into my Portenza book case and I love it. When I upgrade my Kindle next I'm definitely getting another one.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Cojawfee posted:

Which one do you have? I'm thinking about just getting the simple hardback one because it's cheapest and looks cool. I don't really understand how this 3M coating holds the N7 on the case.

Oh my bad, Yeah I have the simple HardBack one as well and love it.. the 3M poo poo seems to work really well. I upgraded to the "IntelliStand" thing so it works as a stand when I fly or put it on the desk as well. The way that works is there is one really big 3M sticky crap for always-connected, and 3 small sticky dots so you can easily pop it out to the 'stand' mode.

Schmoli fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 22, 2013

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Cojawfee posted:

Cool, I just ordered one. Also, imageshack blocks this site due to some age old conflict.

Yeah forgot about that, fixed it.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Civil posted:

I've got this one and it's fine. The power button is a bit difficult to hit, but it's also difficult even without a case. My only complaint is that I can't charge it via qi with the case on, but I'd imagine that's common to most cases.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E5NP1X4/

I've got the Portenzo Hardback and dig it: http://shop.portenzo.com/hardback-for-the-new-nexus-7/

Speaking of that, does anyone know if this thin cardboard case would allow for wireless charging?

Or if they are especially cool, it could probably be simulated by using the cover of a small notebook or a hardcover book and see if the charging can get thru that to a naked Nexus (The HardBack is about the same as my Red&Black notebooks from work, but probably also any standard hardcover book cover as well. I'd like to be able to plop it down on one but don't want to buy one if it wouldn't work.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

1SaleADay is selling pre-owned 16GB Nook HD+'s (discussed in the last couple pages) for $110 w/ 1 year warranty. Ridiculous deal that makes me wish I read comics just because it would be the best comic reader ever.

I think I may get one just to mess around with.

poo poo, I am tempted to get this for the comics and just to use as a 'always on my coffee table' tablet or something... any issues anyone knows with these? Looks like I can get CM10.1 on it at least.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.
I decided to let the deal pass, a buddy convinced me that they'll really only probably go down in price, and it's not like I *need* it (I have a 2013N7 already), but I do find myself squinting with comics here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

AlexF posted:

Great, thanks! I'll get the Dodo as it's a little cheaper (camera hole included, no need for the intellistand option) and the branding looks better imo.

Edit: One last question though. Some reviews state that due to the curve on the back of the Nexus the buttons are a little hard to reach when it's in those cases. Nitpicking or true?

Nitpicking but true, it is harder to reach them. I've even thought of somehow putting some epoxy or something to create a nub on them to make them easier to find, but the above poster is right, most the time I don't need it as I can just close/open the cover.