  • Post
fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

It's replaced my netbook and I think in a few years tablets could possibly take over mobile computing entirely.
This is my experience as well. I'm using an over two year old Transformer Prime tablet and despite feeling 'laggy' compared to my phone I still find use for it in browsing SA, Reddit, or Facebook and it's my favorite device to watch movies.

I'm looking to replace it this year with a new tablet, most likely something with LTE so we can use it on car trips to watch netflix, etc.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

LastInLine posted:

Wait until after I/O and the next Nexus gets announced, then buy it.

At this point I don't expect Google to announce new hardware as it seems more likely a 'silver' branding is going to happen for existing hardware.

I would be happy with this as there are a few tablets out right now that are nice but come bundled with OEM shovelware.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

LastInLine posted:

Well this one we're pretty sure about. It's a tablet by HTC codenamed "Flounder" ( :lol: ) and it's been seen in logs so it's not like this is going to be a surprise.

In glad to read that! I've been waiting since the rumors of a refresh for the 10 floated around. My tf201 is getting long in tooth.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Tornhelm posted:

The TF303 is coming out Q3 this year.

I like ASUS but since I realized that a keyboard really isn't a need for me anymore it will have to compete on spec's with all of the other tablets out this summer/fall.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I said come in! posted:

... where Ouya was a scam.
How was Ouya a scam?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

EAB posted:

Where's the Nexus 9, it doesn't exist, does it :gonk:

It just passed the FCC.

fondue fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 6, 2014

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Can someone link the new dell?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/10/08/htc-exec-says-nexus-9-is-new-commitment-to-tablet-market/

There we go, Nexus 9.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I thought they weren't making it out of metal? Did they try to make plastic look like brushed aluminum?

I don't think that picture is supposed to represent the tablet, it's just 'art' for the article. No real physical details are known about it other than speculation about the hardware from what I understand. HTC is supposed to be having a big presentation on their "Eye experience". Maybe the new nexus tablet will have it?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Posted to twitter ... I would like it to be a new Nexus tablet, but I'm game for anything right now. If no new Nexus tablet is announced this year I'll just grab whatever is best on the Android market.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I've waited so long to replace my TF201 that I'm not really feeling the immediate urge to get this tablet. I will, eventually, but I can wait while everyone else gets one and posts their thoughts on the purchase.

Plus, I'd like there to be lots of options for cases, screen protection, etc, than there are right now.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

db franco posted:

Should I preorder a nexus 9?

I've been waiting forever for this device but I'm not sure if it's worth waiting for it to come out and for the initial bugs to be fixed. There's always something funky with releases like this, right?

How many of you have preordered already?

I've not despite this tablet being exactly what I wanted. I want to hold one and get a feel for it before buying. Plus, I want all of the accessories available and to read reviews from people in this thread.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Best part about the N9 reviews is that it's lighter than the iPad Air 2, but it doesn't feel lighter.

Someone on reddit summed up all of the reviews.

The conclusions are great, basically they all contradict each other. We probably already knew that but it's nice to see it all in one place. Personally, I'm probably getting one but am enjoying everyone else testing them out first.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

The Nexus 9

Apparently this happens on some devices to varying degree.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

It's sold out already. :(

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Just got a Nexus 9 today! I'm not noticing any lag at all. There's a little light bleed at the top but if hadn't been mentioned here I never would have looked for it or noticed. Over all I'm happy with my purchase.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Decius posted:

Really love mine despite the light-bleed.

I love mine and I only noticed the light bleed because of this thread.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Zosologist posted:

So I bought a nexus 9 to use at work to do inventory and what not, and I'd like to find a folio style case that I can keep other things like pens, maybe a small notebook and purveyor invoices in. Is there anything like that available?

I've not seen a case offered anywhere. The ones on Amazon either are un-reviewed or renamed from another case so the positive reviews carry forward.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

IuniusBrutus posted:

I know the N9 has had a couple software updates that changed its performance - have these updates made enough of a difference to improve on the reviews that have been published? I really want one - it seems perfect for my needs - and I can deal with back flex and buttons, but software problems are concerning, and both Ars and Anand had issues with it.

I never had any hardware issues with my N9 although because of this thread I did notice some slight light bleed on one side while playing netflix. I came from a tf201 so overall I'm very happy with the tablet and hope I get as much use out of it as I did my prior.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

TF201 "we shipped you a gps module because the built in is so bad"

They sent me two!

I understand why a GPS is installed but I don't use them in my tablet so the fact that it was lovely was never an issue with me. I got the tf201 because I thought I needed something that was the equivalent of a netbook. Over the span of the years I've owned it I can count on one hand the times I've needed the keyboard. I was planning on getting the Bluetooth keyboard cover for my n9 but ... meh.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

pairofdimes posted:

I canceled my Amazon order after seeing HTC sell them (briefly) for half off. If I can get it or the keyboard cover for half price I think I'd be ok with it.

My keyboard cover arrives tomorrow, I'll update here with my experience with it.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

fondue posted:

My keyboard cover arrives tomorrow, I'll update here with my experience with it.

It arrived an hour ago and I've been messing with it.

It arrived in a box slightly smaller than itself ... it had to be crammed in at an angle to fit. The keyboard wasn't damaged by this, though.

It's heavy. I think it's as heavy as the tablet itself! I had no trouble sync'ing it with the tablet, I just pressed the little button on one end of the hinge and the blue light started flashing. I then turned on bluetooth on my tablet and selected it from the available list. That's it.

It's magnetic and turns the screen on and off when you open/close it. Works great as a keyboard, I'm typing this update while using it. Of course it's a little keyboard so it's a bit cramped but it's designed to fit a 9" tablet so it's expected.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

Heh. I think this update bricked my stock n9.

It hasn't bricked mine however virtually all google apps crash on launch. Just google apps. Hell, sometimes they just report crashing without me even launching them. :(

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

bull3964 posted:

With all the issues this tablet has had from day one, I wouldn't dirty flash or even take the OTA at this point.

Factory reset, get into fastboot, erase all the partitions and flash all the images to start from scratch.

That's what I did and it's been working wonderfully over the past few days. No crashes, no glaring performance hiccups, it's even producing less heat.

That's my plan now, thanks!

[edit]That exactly fixed my issue. I feel like I got a new tablet, everything is at least twice as responsive.

fondue fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 14, 2015

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

IuniusBrutus posted:

Is the Nexus 9 still terrible? Or has it been made less terrible with software updates? I can deal with the light bleed/squishy back, more concerned about general performance and reliability.

I use it daily for web browsing and on this forum and reddit and don't notice any lag or performance issues. There were some when it first came out but the updates have appeared to have remedied that.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/772894822193623040

Evan Blass says the next Google tablet is a 7" by Huawei.

Oh god damnit ...

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3