Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Cakefool posted:

Somebody best tell the BBC that, the iPlayer doesn't work on my nice new shiny fully supported 4.1 tablet, but does work on my wife's hacky gingerbread archos badlet that's quite annoying.

E: I thought Swype was broken, even with the volume turned all the way up I couldn't hear a thing from a caller, turns out using the volume buttons doesn't turn up the media volume in Swype, only the notification volume. Is this dumbass Swype or dumbass Jellybean?

What does Swype and media volume have to do with in-call volume? Swype shouldn't be affecting any volumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Screen protectors are plastic. v:shobon:v

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

B4Ctom1 posted:

I use my tablet for entertainment purposes a lot. Anyone have a good (non-general) suggestion for putting videos larger than 4GB onto a card?

Format it as NTFS or Fat32?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I meant exFat :doh:
I don't know if that works either though.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

GreatKesh posted:

My computer won't pick my tablet up, it says the device has malfunctioned. I think its a problem with the cable.(tf101)

Where can I get a new one quick in Australia because I need to put stuff on it

Do you have WiFi? Use something like ES File Explorer or AirDroid to transfer files from your PC to your tablet.

edit: and if you don't have WiFi, then use Dropbox or similar.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

You'd be so much happier with an Ultrabook or other thin, light notebook, and something like a Nexus 7 for reading or gaming.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Ozmodiar posted:

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of my battery issue on my Nexus 7.

I changed the settings so WiFi would turn off when the screen is off. Whenever I've let it sit for a couple minutes and then turn the screen back on, the WiFi does need to reconnect. However, as you can see, the tablet doesn't seem to think it's actually turned off.

Thoughts?

Despite WiFi being on constantly, it seems like you only lost maybe one percent of your battery over three hours, with the device waking itself every ~15 minutes to sync something. That doesn't seem like much of a problem to me.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Any chance of the price on the TF101 keyboard dock dropping soon? I was interested in maybe getting one but at least on Amazon they're still $120+, despite Asus having already put out a couple of better tablets. Then again, I guess the original Transformer isn't much older than a year so perhaps it's too early for a price drop.

Check eBay. There are plenty of used ones buy-it-now for less than $100.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Does it split the storage right down the middle so each account gets half?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

woodhead posted:

I put in on Craigslist and had 4 offers within a day. Picked the least sketchy sounding one and had my cash the next day at lunch. Depending on where you live, just search CL for transformer and see what pops up. I was clear in my ad that this was the TF101 with the dock but people that responded just kept asking about the transformer so they may not have been as tech savvy as they should have been and been comparing my price to the price of the newer models, I don't know. It's close to Christmas so that could have had something to do with it.

Jesus Christ, I've had my TF101 and dock on craigslist for at least a month for $250 and nobody wants it. A few people have lowballed the poo poo out of me but nobody really wants it. Maybe I should relist it so more people will see it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

rotaryfun posted:

I guess without the flashing of new ROMs what's the point of titanium backup?

Reverting when an update makes an app lovely.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Got a 10$ Google Play card to burn. Looking for any recommendations for really good paid apps. Im not that hot on games but if you think one is really good I'll take a look. This is for an N7 but if it is an app that plays well on the the Galaxy Nexus that would be a bonus.

Tasker, Poweramp, Nova Launcher or Apex Launcher. There are more but I can't think of them right now.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Daimo posted:

I just worked out how to make my tablet a remote control for my PC.

There isn't a smiley to emote how much I'm gushing right now.

By installing Unified Remote?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

kstatix posted:

Oh I understand there's little margin in the $170 for profit. I guess I'm just pissed about this happening to me because I've worked in the wireless industry for almost 7 years and I see this poo poo all the time and this is the first time it's happened to me. I guess I'm one of those protection plan suckers now.

If you'd bought protection for every smartphone and tablet that you've ever owned, you'd probably have spent more than the cost of replacing the Nexus 7.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I bought a refurbished Nexus 7 and I'm having these touchscreen issues. Often when I'm trying to scroll, even in the app drawer, I'll have to swipe a few times to get it to register. I thought it might be my Moko case causing it but it happens naked as well. Is this a common issue among N7s or should I attempt to get it replaced?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I have that same puddle game in the video and I can't get the problem to happen on mine. I don't think anyone else has mentioned it. Maybe it was fixed in an update. Are you on 4.2.2?

Yep. First thing I did when I got it was update it to 4.2.2, then unlock and root. The problem happens on stock, and it happens on ParanoidAndroid so either it's specific to 4.2.2 but only for me, or it's a bizarre hardware problem.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Has anybody gone through Asus for repair or replacement for their Nexus 7? What's the process? Pay to have it shipped to them, wait a week or two, then get it back, or is it better than that? These touchscreen issues are driving me crazy, but if it's a huge hassle, I may just suck it up until Google I/O.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Safe and Secure! posted:

Actually, I was wondering if I could get away with a Nexus 7. I guess not, though.

I've been reading a technical book on my Nexus 7 and it's surprisingly easy to read. I didn't think it would work on a 7" device but I don't have any issues. Even comics are fine for me. I'd say find a way to get a book onto a Nexus 7 and see for yourself before discounting it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

teagone posted:

Uhh... the warranty only applies to defects and/or repair, not just straight up saying you don't want it anymore and asking for money back.

You could sell the N7 on SA Mart or Ebay and use those funds to imburse your new tablet fund.

...but since you'll probably only get ~$150 for it, you'd might as well just hold onto it until we know definitively whether there is a new Nexus 7 and if it's a significant upgrade.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Karthe posted:

I'm thinking about rooting my Nexus 7 so I can get wireless ADB going for development purposes. I can't tell, though, does rooting wipe out all information on the device, or is that just unlocking?

Just unlocking, but I'm pretty sure you have to be unlocked to root. You could try backing up everything with carbon then unlocking it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Didn't the whole transformer line get upgraded to Jelly Bean, or was the TF101 excluded?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Telex posted:

Probably a dumb question and potentially irrelevant once I get a new laptop, but those USB OTG cables for hooking up an external drive to a Nexus 10, what sort of external case will work with those assuming I have one that always powers itself through USB and not a wall adapter?

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-2-5-Inch-External-Enclosure-NST-200S3-BK/dp/B0058YY202

I have that hard drive enclosure (except not USB3, it's older) will the USB OTG cables power that drive or am I gonna be screwed until I'm able to tether both the Nexus 10 and the HD to a real computer? I'm going to be away from all my stuff for a month and wanted to take some stuff with me in the case that something stupid happens to my server or internet connection while I'm gone.

I'm pretty sure you're not going to be able to power a hard drive with your tablet.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

fookolt posted:

Hm, I'd rather wait for Asus to release something because I really can't stand plastic on something that big :(

Asus doesn't exactly have a great record of reliability either. The nexus 7 alone has had so many different issues ranging from screen separation to touch screen responsiveness issues. Mine has the touch screen issue and it's so bad I can't reliably play games on it. I've RMA'd it twice and the problem has persisted. I'm debating sending it in a third time but I don't have much faith left in them and two weeks without it isn't very enjoyable.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

nrr posted:

7" looks a bit small but then $400 for the 10" seems a bit much for something I don't really 100% need.

What are you planning on viewing on it? I thought the same thing initially and had a Transformer for a while but I grew to hate the size. Now I have a Nexus 7 and, ignoring the flaws specific to my device, I love it to death. I can read comics and PDFs on it with no issue whatsoever.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Christoff posted:

The thumb keyboard app makes typing pretty sweet on 10" tablets. It cuts the keyboard in half so you can access all letters with your thumbs.

Swype has this feature too. Not sure if Swiftkey does.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Those are the tablets that have 4 and 8 gb of storage right? Is that just not a big deal because of the SD card slot?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

Counterpoint: reading CBR/CBZ on a 7" tablet sucks.

I do it all the time on my nexus 7 and it works fine. I never have to zoom in or hold it close to my face to read text.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Zarkov Cortez posted:

If it's like the current Nexus 7 they'll probably have a wifi and a cellular model.

Both versions passed through the FCC a couple weeks ago. That part isn't a rumor.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

If you buy a Nexus 7 from, say, Staples, and after a couple of months you notice a defect, you have to send it to Asus, right? Whereas if you buy it from Google, they'll cross-ship you a new one? I'm trying to decide if the $10 shipping from Google will be worth it if the new nexus has issues like the first one did.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

That spec list claims 4GB of RAM, anyone think that might be true? The blogs are claiming it might not be but who knows.

I'm going to copy this straight from Reddit so I don't have to try to type it all out and get things wrong:

bluetrance posted:

RAM chips are specced in bits, not bytes, so 256Mx16 is a 4Mega*bit* chip in a 256Mega*bit* cell by 16 rows layout.

Divide by 8 (8 bits = 1 byte) and you see it's a 512Mega*byte* chip.

If you look at the board spec, it says 2G, so the Nexus will most likely have 2Giga*bytes* of RAM using four of those 512Mega*byte* chips.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Slo-Tek posted:

Internet has a bestbuy ad for next Sunday at 229$ for the 16 gig. Though it isn't clear what radios that has in it. Pretty reasonable price for a wifi only. Not sure if 16 is enough, or if I'll get 50$ more use out of a 32 gig.

This post confused me so I'll point out that the ad will be released next Sunday, but the Nexus is slated for release on Tuesday the 30th.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Apologies if I missed somebody mention this, but when the new Nexus 7 goes live on the play store, it looks like they'll be offering free ground shipping for a limited time. If you can deal with waiting for it to arrive, that seems like the way to go.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Slo-Tek posted:

There any reason to think that Staples/bestbuy/whatever won't have them on the end-bumpers on release day?

No, but if this version has as many problems as the last one, I'd rather have Google ship me a replacement than to ship mine to Asus (possibly on my dime) and wait two weeks for them to maybe fix it and ship it back.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Hangouts is great when it works, but the app does have issues. Sometimes I have to back out of a conversation then click on the conversation again to get a new message to show up. If I try to back out of the app instead of just hitting home, it'll go chat -> list of hangouts -> same chat -> list of hangouts -> exit. Finally, sometimes even when I'm on a solid wifi, a message will hang and not send but I can pick up my tablet and send the same message just fine. Once the bugs get fixed though, Hangouts will be great.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Looks like the Fire hides it. This is a stylistic choice on the part of Amazon, they must feel that people want access to the notification shade while reading while on normal Android device since they went through the trouble of dimming the notification shade.

By contrast, the Nook app has a setting to change the behavior to show the notification bar or make it go away.

Play Books does it right: hide the notification bar and only show it if you tap in the middle if the screen. Not being able to hide it at all seems like a really weird design choice and would bug me too.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Anonononomous posted:

I have a Nexus 10. Is there any way to disable Google Hangouts? It's really annoying how it seems to tell other people that I'm available and then they try to chat with me when I'm not there. Then after a day at work when it's been sitting in my bag and I haven't had Gmail open on my computer, I have a ton of messages from people.

Menu - settings - sign out

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Daimo posted:

You are only protecting the resale value of the device. And that just shows you're cheap.

What other point could there be? People like to keep their phones devices in tip top shape so they don't have to spend as much on their next phone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Butt Savage posted:

Quick question about KitKat and the Nexus 7. If I want a device that functions like the Moto X in that I can activate Google Now even if the screen is off, such a feature has to be designed into the hardware, right? It's not like KitKat can activate this feature in devices like the Nexus 7?

Because I long for the day when my lazy rear end can be in bed, turn to my tablet that's sitting on my nightstand, and say "Ok, Google, check the weather" and it tells me the info.

An app called Open Mic+ can do this for you, but it would probably kill your battery. It can be set to only work when the device is charging though.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

What is it with Android videos and people saying "actually" constantly and unnecessarily? It makes me cringe every time I hear it.

It's not an Android thing, it's an everybody thing. It's been driving me crazy for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I wouldn't recommend someone go out and buy one right now, though.

Even at $280 for 32gb?