Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
So I'm really enjoying my Nexus 7, but what's a good resource for finding decent games for this thing? I like RPGs, especially Diablo-style ARPGs, but I don't know if anything like that exists for Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

fookolt posted:

So I'm really enjoying my Nexus 7, but what's a good resource for finding decent games for this thing? I like RPGs, especially Diablo-style ARPGs, but I don't know if anything like that exists for Android.

Probably the closest thing to Torchlight/Diablo for the N7 http://www.tegrazone.com/games/soulcraftthd

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

If Chrome is problematic what browser is everyone using? I get kind of frustrated at Chrome myself and I'd like a very lean and fast browser.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I've been using Firefox and it feels faster. I can't tell if it has an incognito option or not, I would prefer that for banking so I've still been doing that in Chrome.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

teagone posted:

Probably the closest thing to Torchlight/Diablo for the N7 http://www.tegrazone.com/games/soulcraftthd

Thanks! Any suggestions for streaming HD movies from my PC? Or is that not feasible?

I already have PS3 Media Server, but I don't know how well it would play with that over WiFi.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

fookolt posted:

Thanks! Any suggestions for streaming HD movies from my PC? Or is that not feasible?

I already have PS3 Media Server, but I don't know how well it would play with that over WiFi.

People seem to like this. It should work, though you might need to configure things (more likely on PS3MS.)

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mister Fister posted:

The problem with the verge not responding well is entirely with chrome. Anyone with a nexus 7, load up the verge in chrome and you'll see the same laggy behavior. Now load it up in Opera or Firefox, and it'll be snappy as any other web page.

TheVerge is the one site to embarrass my MBP Retina with. Chrome and FF it stutter really badly. With Safari it is a bit better, but it still drops frames like crazy when scrolling.
It works better on my iPad 2 (and a lot better in Safari than Chrome there), but it's still one of the least smooth sites to browse.
Scrolling the site on my SGS 2 under Chrome however is just asking for pain.

Decius fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 4, 2012

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
How can I accurately measure what fps I'm getting when I browse The Verge?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Millstone posted:

How can I accurately measure what fps I'm getting when I browse The Verge?

Turn on the FPS toggle in the developer options?

Firefox on Android is cool because it lets you install extensions: IE Adblock. Chrome doesn't. I don't know how well it would be as a daily driver since I've been forcing myself to use Chrome since it's baked in to the OS and I like the interface a bit better.

Edit: I lied apparently there isn't an fps option baked into Android.

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 4, 2012

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

right arm posted:

How do we know you're not using an ainol tornado with worse hardware since the video is so dark??

Then it'd be a testament to how well the aionol tornado is able to render/scroll/zoom in opera and firefox when even someone with a mac book pro has trouble with it.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I'm contemplating replacing my first gen iPad with a Nexus 7 or 10 - is there a good way to play .mkv and .mp4 from shared network storage on an android device? Right now that's a lot of use with my iPad - iTunes streaming to my tablet - but if I could do that with an android tablet without iTunes, I'd pick one up today I think.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Mortanis posted:

I'm contemplating replacing my first gen iPad with a Nexus 7 or 10 - is there a good way to play .mkv and .mp4 from shared network storage on an android device? Right now that's a lot of use with my iPad - iTunes streaming to my tablet - but if I could do that with an android tablet without iTunes, I'd pick one up today I think.

As mentioned a few posts above, BubbleUPnP is good. It's what I use, haven't had any problems with it.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Mortanis posted:

There is also goon made app Emit

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I just use ES File Explorer to browse my shared folders, click the video I want to play and it launches MX Player. Never used the solutions listed above so they may be more elegant, but I suspect if you know enough to share folders my solution will work just fine.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I just use ES File Explorer to browse my shared folders, click the video I want to play and it launches MX Player. Never used the solutions listed above so they may be more elegant, but I suspect if you know enough to share folders my solution will work just fine.

I do the same thing, only difference is that I also have VLC Beta installed for some stuff since MX Player removed DTS support.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
I'm still trying to get to the bottom of my battery issue on my Nexus 7.

I changed the settings so WiFi would turn off when the screen is off. Whenever I've let it sit for a couple minutes and then turn the screen back on, the WiFi does need to reconnect. However, as you can see, the tablet doesn't seem to think it's actually turned off.

Thoughts?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Picked one up and that works perfectly. Thank you.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Ozmodiar posted:

Are you sure that's what's actually draining the battery? I have the same wifi setting enabled and I see wifi on most of the time the screen is off, but I'm not getting the same battery drop. You might want to check out BetterBatteryStats, that gives so much more detail it could help you find the root cause of the battery issue.

Also have you restarted the tablet since you started seeing this problem? I had a wifi related wakelock problem once and restarting it seemed to fix it (or at least made the problem go away).

My tablet:
http://imgur.com/50xJu

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I plan to replace my current iPad 2 with a Nexus 10 (various reasons, mostly because I'm not happy with the restrictions Apple imposes and the rather aging UI of iOS compared to Android 4.1 on my phone). The one thing I like about it however is that you can put stuff on it via Wifi (if iTunes deigns your iPad worthy to be recognized - something that might take a few restarts of iTunes and even reboots of my MBP Retina at times). Is there a similar solution for Android Tablets? I know I could use ES Explorer to pull stuff from my computer, but I would like to push stuff onto the tablet.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I use AirDroid for that.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

FordPRefectLL posted:

I use AirDroid for that.
Me too, it works pretty well.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Sounds good, checking it out after work. Thanks guys!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Ozmodiar posted:

I changed the settings so WiFi would turn off when the screen is off. Whenever I've let it sit for a couple minutes and then turn the screen back on, the WiFi does need to reconnect. However, as you can see, the tablet doesn't seem to think it's actually turned off.

Thoughts?

Despite WiFi being on constantly, it seems like you only lost maybe one percent of your battery over three hours, with the device waking itself every ~15 minutes to sync something. That doesn't seem like much of a problem to me.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Ozmodiar posted:

Thoughts?

If you turn your wifi off but it stays on, something is most certainly hosed. What happens if you put it in airplane mode?

Also, as another poster said, try rebooting it.

Third, did you try better battery stats to see if anything is holding wakelocks? https://play.google.com/store/apps/...HRlcnlzdGF0cyJd

Lastly, if all else fails, do a factory reset on the device and restore from Google (you don't ideally want to do this but if it fixes the problem then it may be worth it).

Unrelated, have you guys noticed the Nexus 10 in this image from the Google Play store has a tablet optimized layout for the buttons and system tray?

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 5, 2012

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IT Guy posted:

Unrelated, have you guys noticed the Nexus 10 in this image from the Google Play store has a tablet optimized layout for the buttons and system tray?

Pretty sure that's not an N10, edges are too straight. I think it's a Galaxy Tab or something.

Edit: It's a Xoom.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Tunga posted:

Pretty sure that's not an N10, edges are too straight. I think it's a Galaxy Tab or something.

Edit: It's a Xoom.

Ah, does the Xoom have this interface?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IT Guy posted:

Ah, does the Xoom have this interface?
All tablets have that interface until 4.2. It hasn't changed since Honeycomb (except where OEMs made their own). In 4.2, everything uses the Nexus 7 style centred buttons instead. There has been some debate as to whether that is a good choice or not.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Tunga posted:

All tablets have that interface until 4.2. It hasn't changed since Honeycomb (except where OEMs made their own). In 4.2, everything uses the Nexus 7 style centred buttons instead. There has been some debate as to whether that is a good choice or not.

I kind of think that it'll be fine, but it'll take some adjusting to. They probably opted for this layout because it prevents accidental taps and looks better when switching between portrait and landscape. It's not like you won't be using the device with two hands anyway.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I'm considering getting a Nexus 7, but my issue is practical applications for using it. I ha e a Android phone running ICS, and I have a ultra book that I love. I can't really say that I have a definite need for an in between device like a 7" tab. I was recently in jury duty and would have definitely liked one then, but outside of that I'm not sure it would really be handy. For folks in a similar spot who have smartphones and ultra portable laptops, do you find the tablet gets a lot of use or does it just sit around?

I guess I'm trying to justify getting a new toy which probably should answer my own question.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Require More Fire posted:

I'm considering getting a Nexus 7, but my issue is practical applications for using it. I ha e a Android phone running ICS, and I have a ultra book that I love. I can't really say that I have a definite need for an in between device like a 7" tab. I was recently in jury duty and would have definitely liked one then, but outside of that I'm not sure it would really be handy. For folks in a similar spot who have smartphones and ultra portable laptops, do you find the tablet gets a lot of use or does it just sit around?

I guess I'm trying to justify getting a new toy which probably should answer my own question.

My Nexus 7 sits around a lot. I got mine specifically for when I go somewhere and I want light entertainment (watching a movie or reading a book). I also use it for online courses. Other than that, mine sits around a lot. Though, I still consider it an awesome purchase for $200. I have a 17" laptop that I find exhausting to bring anywhere which is where my tablet comes in.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
I'm still holding out hope that Google will have some sort of pre-order for the Nexus 10, although with the fiasco that was the Nexus 7 pre-order situation I completely understand if they do away with it entirely. Does anybody know if there's been any indication that either Google will do a pre-order or that any stores will have the Nexus 10 on the 13th?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

It's a great couch companion for one. It's a lot easier for me to fire something up for a game or a movie when I need that quick bit of trivia or walkthrough. It's also a lot easier to toss into a bag when you jet out the door unplanned. While ultra books are great (and I carry mine drat near everywhere) the ability to hold a device with a bunch of screen real estate one handed while walking around or whatever is pretty nice.

Basically, I have a nice small laptop, a smartphone and a good desktop and I bought the N7 as a toy I'd hardly use but I ended up putting some serious usage into it.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I just got my Nexus 7 and even though I've had 3 different kinds of Kindles since they came out, I think the Nexus 7 just kicks all of their asses when it comes to reading. So yeah, I love reading on it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

fookolt posted:

I just got my Nexus 7 and even though I've had 3 different kinds of Kindles since they came out, I think the Nexus 7 just kicks all of their asses when it comes to reading. So yeah, I love reading on it.

I honestly thought I'd have a problem reading on a backlit screen but I don't. Just turn the brightness down and set it to night mode. Much easier on the eyes. I tried reading on my iPad and A500 but it just felt awkward. I'm devouring books on the 7" form factor though.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I honestly thought I'd have a problem reading on a backlit screen but I don't. Just turn the brightness down and set it to night mode. Much easier on the eyes. I tried reading on my iPad and A500 but it just felt awkward. I'm devouring books on the 7" form factor though.

This is the same experience I'm having. I bought the Nexus 7 as a travel companion (I live in Hawaii and fly back and forth to the mainland a lot) but I've been using it a lot at home to read, when I thought nothing would ever replace my e-ink Kindle 3.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Yeah, I had a big hard-on for epaper for a long time, and was one of those guys who would say "Reading on a backlit screen will never feel natural!" But reading on the Nexus 7 feels great and I don't experience any eye strain at all. I actually prefer the nexus to my epaper device, because flipping pages and exploring the book is so much faster.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Polo-Rican posted:

Yeah, I had a big hard-on for epaper for a long time, and was one of those guys who would say "Reading on a backlit screen will never feel natural!" But reading on the Nexus 7 feels great and I don't experience any eye strain at all. I actually prefer the nexus to my epaper device, because flipping pages and exploring the book is so much faster.

Same! I thought I was going crazy when I realized this.

The one thing the Kindle does really with though is battery life while reading. It just lasts forever and is great for long flights.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

I too bought mine mainly for travel (I only fly about once a month, but those 7 hour flights get really boring), but find myself using it multiple hours a day. Browsing the forums from Awful Betamax is more enjoyable than using my laptop for the most part. The games are fun (although I haven't used a gamepad and emulators like I figured I would). It's a really great device and I use it a lot more than I'd expected.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Is there any way to boost the sound output on my Nexus 7? Sometimes Im in the kitchen with fans and stuff going and it isnt quite loud enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

KoB posted:

Is there any way to boost the sound output on my Nexus 7? Sometimes Im in the kitchen with fans and stuff going and it isnt quite loud enough.

I would be weary boosting the output of a really tiny speaker. If you need it louder, plug it into some cheap external speakers?