Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The TF101 ICS OTA update for USA is out and from what I'm reading on XDA, doesn't break root. :dance:

edit: well I appear to no longer have root so ignore that part

You should be using OTA RootKeeper. As long as you are you shouldn't lose root.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I'm not sure if my Keyboard dock is working like it's supposed to. My tablet's barely been off the dock today, since I've mostly been using it as a stand as it sits next to me at work all day, but the pad is at 73% power and the keyboard is at 92%. I see the pad's power declining quite a bit faster than the keyboard's.

Does the keyboard only really supply the tablet with power when the tablet is low? I expected it to basically drain off the keyboard as long as the keyboard is actually plugged into it, constantly keeping the tablet at 100% until undocked.

Edit: A bit of research on ASUS's site says that the keyboard itself only actually charges the tablet if it goes below 70%, and only charges it up to 90% A bit odd and not exactly intuitive, but it makes enough sense.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 24, 2012

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I don't know if the XOOM can run it, but Soulcraft is awesome. It's in beta, but really fun still. Inotia3 is supposed to be good, but I haven't spent much time on it. The Sonic 4 and Sonic CD ports are really well done as well.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Just got an email from SquareTrade telling me that they'll be unable to repair my Prime and are just refunding my money for it instead. I pretty much expected this, which is why I bought the second one. Of course this means I won't have a cheap tablet to sell on SA Mart, but I'm okay with that too.

SquareTrade was awesome. If you want an accidental damage warranty I highly recommend it. Their support was great, they handled all the shipping costs including sending me a box with enough padding for safe shipment of the tablet. The entire claim process took about 2 weeks from the point I filed to the point I heard back about the repair status. I should be getting a check in 2-3 days.

The whole thing was much easier than any of the other accidental damage warranties I've ever bought.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does the Transformer Prime with ICS have as big of a problem with random boot-looping that the TF101 does? At least every other day, I'll open up my tablet to find it on the ASUS boot screen with either the spinning loading circle, or the circle will be frozen. The weird thing is it seems to murder my dock battery but not really affect the tablet battery.

My Prime has an uptime of 177:21:59. The last reboot was to install a minor update ASUS pushed out.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

HPL posted:

It's either full screen at the wrong aspect ratio or nothing.

MX Player is pretty awesome. That's all I've been using on my tablet.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I've had a Transformer Prime since January now and haven't had a single problem with it. I won't excuse their lovely customer service, which has always been lovely, or the fact that some people apparently have lemons, but for my own purposes I have nothing to complain about hardware-wise. The only problem I had was my own goddamn fault because I dropped my first Prime and shattered the screen. I bought a second one and am just as happy with it as my first one.

ASUS has made some really stupid and inexcusable mistakes early on with the tablet, but after a shaky start and a handful of buggy updates I couldn't be more happy with my Prime. It's up to a 402 hour uptime, lasts several days on a charge with moderate use, and the keyboard is absolutely awesome for when I'm doing something typing intensive. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, or even another ASUS tablet.

But nothing excuses their awful customer support. It's been poo poo for years. It's such poo poo that if I buy an ASUS product I don't rely on the Manufacturer's warranty for anything. Even something as simple as replacing a power cable is a frustrating experience to the point that it's easier to just buy the part off their website and be done with it rather than dealing with RMA.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Isn't KANG just the name of their unstable raw source tree in the repo? At least until a few weeks ago when CyanogenMod renamed it to unstable because no one understood what KANG meant.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

Should my original Transformer be able to sleep for a couple of days on a full charge? Before ICS the tablet was still a new toy that I gave a full battery worth of use most days. Since ICS, if I leave it in my bag for a day or two, the device will be dead when I grab it.

I'm assuming this is a new problem, but since I never left it off the charger for long periods before updating, I can't be sure.

My Prime can go a few days on a single charge at moderate usage. The battery does run a little when sleeping, but not much at all. I don't have any real stats for you, but I got 3-4 days on a charge with normal usage.

I'd check it at least once a day and see what the battery meter looks like and figure out if it's really using too much power when sleeping or not.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Wow. That's kinda cool, and good on ASUS to even bother. I doubt I'll get much use out of it as I've never once felt the need to actually use GPS on my tablet, but it'll be nice to have if I ever do.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Jewce posted:

I live in the US as well. Lots of people on XDA are saying that they didn't get the pop up either. I'm not too worried now. It'll work itself out eventually.

It sounds like they didn't intend for it to be available yet, and the people who got the registration for it were mistakes. I am sure ASUS will email everyone who registered when more official information is available.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

DeathSandwich posted:

So now that we are past the new iPad's launch, have thee been any announced price drops for existing android tabs? Are we to the point where there is a solid android tab competitor or are we still in "just get an iPad" territory for tech hobbyists like myself?

There's some word that the new Nexuas tablet (which is also rumored to be made by ASUS), is going to be slightly delayed but instead of being $249, it'll be $199. I hope it's true.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

GreatKesh posted:

How does the GPS on the TF101 work? Do I need an app/internet access to use it or does it work like a GPS you can buy for a car that plugs into the cigarette lighter thing?

If you want to use navigation or maps without internet, you'll need an app that can download maps to your phone. Google maps can cache some stuff, but it's hard to rely on that. I use copilot gps and it works like a champ.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

r0ck0 posted:

I use google navigation on my asus transformer prime. I need to tether to my phone for map data anyway so I also tether my phone's GPS. No need for GPS on the transformer and leaves the charging port open.

Yeah if you tether there's no reason to be worried about not having maps on the fly. TetherGPS is awesome.

However, if you're in the middle of nowhere and don't have cell service (such as the stretch of route 66 between Albuquerque, NM and Amarillo, TX) it doesn't do you much good. But even then, you can still TetherGPS for the GPS data and use something like Copilot to get you by.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

kmcormick9 posted:

Since the TF201 is still sold out everywhere I'm assuming that all new stock is new production? Has anybody bought one recently and know if the QC has improved in the later models?

Any of the newest models should have their issues fixed.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

kmcormick9 posted:

so the gps and wifi should both work good?

Wifi is fixed in the newest builds. GPS needs the dongle (which is free).

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

I just got an Asus TF201 for a trip I'm taking next week. It looks like after I leave the tablet alone for awhile and go back to turn it on, I'm not able to bring it back out of sleep.

Have you installed all the updates? That was an issue for a week or so right after ICS came out, but has since been fixed. Make sure system update reports that you don't have any updates pending.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

There is no system updates I'm missing according to the system menu, but I went to the Asus site and it looks like there is new firmware. I'll try that out.

What version does the system menu say you're on?

The battery draining while in sleep is an issue related to the inability to wake up from sleep. Both should have been fixed in the same firmware update. It was a few versions ago. The current build number should be 9.4.2.21-20120323. If you're on anything other than that, it would definitely explain some, if not all, of your problems.

It's really odd that your system updates check says there aren't any updates, but something newer is on the website.

Edit: If you ARE on that version, I would try doing a full factory reset. Backup your apps using the ASUS backup utility, then do a factory reset from the settings menu. If that doesn't fix it, then it's likely a hardware issue, but I really doubt it's hardware from how you describe it.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 25, 2012

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Super Dude posted:

The only touch device I have where the glass broke was the one with Gorilla glass, so I don't put too much stock in it.

Gorilla Glass sure didn't stop me from shattering the entire screen on my 2 week old Prime the first time I dropped it. :( Thank god for Squaretrade.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Christobevii3 posted:

Anyone with an asus transformer and ICS have an irc program that is stable? I use to use andchat but it and androirc seem to freeze up a lot for me now.

I've been using AndroIRC and like it a lot. The tablet interface for it is really well done. ICS styled too!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It's likely the profit margin on the 8GB is too small. The retailers aren't going to sell it if they don't get to make any money.

Profit margins on most hardware is small to miniscule to sometimes nothing at all. Most computers, phones, tablets, etc are sold at near-cost. Where retailers make money is through extended warranties and accessories. There's a reason Best Buy charges you $20+ for a USB cable to hook up your new $20 printer and $100 HDMI cables to hook up your $400 TV.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Geared Hub posted:

So It'll be interesting to see how the Nexus 7 stacks up for acquisition time, reception in a hard top and soft top vehicle, and various mapping software, and see how well the screen performs in daylight.

I'll probably start off by running GPS tools to start.

Definitely check out Google's My Tracks for mapping your trips. I use it for bike rides and it's really awesome.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Worst case scenario buy a warranty from SquareTrade. For the Nexus 7 it's either $23 or $27, depending on if you got the 8 or 16 GB model. It's a little shady since you're buying the warranty after the fact, but gently caress it. Buy the warranty, wait a week or two, send it in and they'll either send you a check, deposite it into your paypal, or send you a fixed tablet.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

fondue posted:

During the avalanche of the 'ASUS Transformer Prime sucks!' myself and a couple of others posted how ours were working just fine.

There was one update that horribly broke ICS for a while on the Prime (lockups and sleep of death), but that was fixed within a week. I love my Prime. I can't wait for JB, which hopefully we'll get in a week or so.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Telven posted:

So I just bought a Asus tf300 32gb and I forfeited best buys insurance policy because it was $200. And sure enough, it falls two feet and cracks the screen a week later. Is there anything at all that I can do to get this fixed?

Squaretrade. It's not the most honest thing in the world, but you can sign up for a policy up to a month after you bought your tablet.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

invision posted:

If the bluetooth functionality wasn't hacked in and worked like bluetooth should, it would be a lot better.

Isn't the Nook the one that they literally just didn't bother attaching an actual antenna to the Bluetooth chip?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

limited posted:

Time to hit goggle and read how to do that then. :toot: Or just not bothering to update as my new tablet already works fine. :effort:

There's a dozen places the APK is hosted online, including a Flash Installer app on the market that pulls it from Adobe.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Rumor has it that the Transformer Prime is getting Jelly Bean on the 20th. Hopefully it's true.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

LJONESRYDA posted:

How do I access the data on my Ideapad from my PC?

Does your computer show any errors installing drivers? Check the Device Manager and see if there's any exclamation points showing things aren't installed properly. You need a handful of drivers to make all the functionality work, depending on the tablet.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

ColdCock posted:

I'm testing the waters on switching from iOS to Android for my primary phone by using a Nexus 7 tablet I picked up on CL. I'd like to have some connectivity while at work, but WiFi is unavailable here and setting up my own WiFi hotspot is a pretty big no-no.

What are my options using Bluetooth or USB to share an internet connection from my MacBook Pro? I tried setting up a Bluetooth PAN on my MBP, but it doesn't look like it's supported on the N7. Any ideas or advice?

There's a bit on Google's site about it. Scroll down to "Obtain a network connection via Bluetooth tethering"

http://support.google.com/android/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=168930

I've never done it myself, but that should be possible.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

uapyro posted:

Looks like the TF700T had a Jelly Bean release today; but for Sweden only at the moment. Is there any reason it's not out for everywhere? What differences are there besides language, and maybe WiFi radio?

To release it in a smaller market, to make sure there are no unexpected bugs that would affect a larger market?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

There are open source drivers for NTFS that can read and write, but I believe the issue is whether or not they are legal in all countries due to all of the open source drivers being written completely by reverse engineering. There are also issues with it not being 100% compatible because it was entirely written by reverse engineering, so lots of manufacturers and Linux distributions don't wish to risk it screwing up someone's computer. It's usually an optional "restricted" package, similar to MP3 support.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Evil Vin posted:

I accidentally clicked no in clockwork mods recovery panel during the Nexus 7 update and now when I check for updates I see none. Did I screw myself out of updating or will it just eventually rebug me about it?

The zip should be downloaded somewhere on your tablet, and you should be able to browse to it and flash it using CWM with no problem.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 11, 2012

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

randyest posted:

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm curious: when people say "CM nightlies" do they mean they're putting on a new version of the OS every day (or night, I guess)?
Slightly beaten, but here's some more info on the subject of nightlies.

Nightlies are just a term for an automated build (and available download) of a piece of software that happens every night. Most open source projects do nightly builds, mostly to make it easy to test changes from the previous day. Because of that, nightlies also tend to be unstable and things may be working or stop working every time a new build comes out.

As far as CM goes, currently the only way to get CM10 is through nightly builds. The CM team is really careful about what gets checked into the main source code, and by extension what shows up in a nightly build. Most changes are tested by individual developers and reviewed heavily before making it into nightlies. Plus, CM is built on top of an already stable release of Android's source code from Google. The only really "unstable" things are what CM changes, such as new settings and features that aren't in stock. This makes CM10 nightlies more or less stable, and allows people to use CM10 nightlies as their main OS. Just recently CM started doing "M" builds, that happen once a month and are meant to be more stable than a nightly, but allow people to use more cutting edge builds rather than waiting months for a release candidate/stable build.

While there's nothing that stops you from installing an update every single night a new build is uploaded, most people only flash once every few weeks, as there are usually only a few changes that happen every day. I tend to watch the change logs and flash whenever a new feature or a bug fix I've been watching gets committed. Just recently I updated in order to get the "circle battery" feature that was just added (a new battery icon that is a circle that slowly depletes, with the actual % in the center).

Updating to the latest nightly is basically just means downloading a 200 MB file and installing it over the top of your last nightly. Just like installing an update from an OEM. It's painless and takes ~10 minutes.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I got a good kick out of the latest ad on Amazon's home page. Obviously it's a bit disingenuous, but drat it's funny.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Doodarazumas posted:

So nova launcher appears to be totally busted on nexus 7 4.2. It wont register any touches in the task bar section (or whatever you would call the bottom area where the app launcher button usually is.

There was a beta release for it earlier, and an update to the app store version that should fix those bugs.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

Just pulled the trigger on an Asus TF300T Transformer Pad 10.1 16GB for $300 refurbed, with the keyboard dock.

ASUS's tablets are excellent despite a few flubbed updates that were fixed a week or two after they first released and a few manufacturing issues on earlier shipments.

When you get it, if it hasn't been updated to Jelly Bean yet, and you have any interest in running custom ROMs or doing nandroid backups, you should definitely make sure you get nvflash access before doing an update. This will let you basically restore your tablet no matter what happens to it, and make it essentially unbrickable. If it's already on the official Jelly Bean update you're SOL.

ASUS's stock apps are really nice, and they're great about updates as long as you're patient. It took 4 months to get Jelly Bean, which is pretty good for a non-nexus device. There's a really strong development community behind the Transformer tablets too, as they all have official CM10 support. I'm loving CM10 on my TF201.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

I don't know what any of those terms mean (custom ROMs, nandroid, nvflash, CM10 [part of the cyanogen mod custom ROM?]), so if those could be explained that would be great. :)

Short story: if you're only ever going to stick to the ASUS stock installation, and rely on ASUS for updates you can ignore all of this. If you want to root/unlock, then all of this becomes useful:

Custom ROMs means installing something like CyanogenMod (CM10 is the current version, CM10.1 will be out soonish). CyanogenMod is the most common, but there are dozens of other ones with different features, some based on the stock ASUS, some based on CyanogenMod, some based on pure Android Open Source, etc.

Nandroid is a full system backup. A complete snapshot of the entire tablet and it's data from the point the backup is made. This requires having a custom recovery installed. You can do backups using stock, but it's not quite the same thing.

Custom recovery (TeamWin Recovery and ClockworkMod Recovery are the 2 common ones) is just a piece of software with extra tools for making backups and restoring. You need this to install custom ROMs. To install a custom recovery you have to unlock the bootloader. Once you've done that, it's theoretically possible to brick your device permanently if you do it wrong. That's where NVFlash comes in.

NVFlash is a recovery tool made by Nvidia. This is all kind of simplified, but it's the first step of the boot process. If you have NVFlash access it's basically impossible to brick your device short of physically destroying it. The boot process is basically NVFlash -> Bootloader -> Recovery -> System OS.

The bootloader on most devices is locked by default. ASUS provides a way to unlock it, but if you unlock your device and manage to gently caress up the bootloader you have a very expensive brick. If you have access to NVFlash, you can fix the bootloader. It's a very low level recovery tool. ASUS does not give NVFlash access, but if you don't have the Jelly Bean update you can use some community tools to get it. ASUS fixed that bug the JB updates.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

FreelanceSocialist posted:

Speaking of Google Drive, I can't test this out myself until I buy a tablet, but is it possible to store all my PDFs/ePubs on my Google Drive and sync them all to my tablet? That seems like a painless way to push my library to my device for reading.

Yes, in fact there are even apps that will sync last read pages. I use Fabrik and it's awesome, though it only supports DropBox right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

There's just so little if anything on there that I couldn't use my laptop or iPhone for.

The same is true with an iPad. A tablet is just a weird half way point between a laptop and a phone, with none of the benefits of either and all of the drawbacks. It's just a bigger phone with no cellular service.

What exactly were you looking for in a tablet?