Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

zer0spunk posted:

I actually don't mind higher voltage since the thing charges from 1-100 in 3 hours. At a ratio of 3 hours charging to 8-10 hours of use, that's pretty decent. People complain about the non standard cable, but that's the tradeoff, 3x the charging time @ 5v on microusb to stay in spec, or cut down drastically but have to do it in a proprietary cable.
Those aren't the only two options. You can have a standard USB-plug cable do 500mA @ 5V when plugged into a USB host, then much more amperage at 5V when plugged into a wall. Lots of computers now even support more than 500mA over USB now as well.

edit: Beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

zer0spunk posted:

Ah, see I thought it was pulling 15v over 2.1 A, but it's actually drawing it over 1.2A, it's still variable and does 5-15v 1.2-2.1a so it functions like any other wall wart..weird. I wonder if there's a specific reason for the larger voltage/smaller amperage...

what's the ipad charge time at 5v 2.1a?
iPad2 charges 0-100% in ~3.5 hours (6930mAh battery capacity / 2100mA = ~3.3Hrs at 100% efficiency, actual efficiency is ~95%)

Higher-voltage LDO's are cheaper and have less IR^2 loss over longer cables than low-voltage switching regulators, but tend to be less efficient. I'd assume the former consideration plays a larger role in the case of relatively short tablet power cords.

Here try this http://www.csgnetwork.com/batterychg2calc.html

randyest fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 23, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Craptacular! posted:

I have a Nexus One and a Cr-48, and I like them both but I don't think Google wants to get into manufacturing. They have a very contentious history with the Chinese government that could make it difficult to enter the world's largest manufacturing cluster, for one thing. Ultimately they'd do better to simply lend a direct hand in supporting Motorola's devices.
What's "contentious" about google dutifully following every censorship order the Chinese government gives them?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

rearadmiral.rowboat posted:

Why does that matter? Aside from personal finance issues, what's wrong with paying money in the future for technology that you can use now? If someone told me I could get a Transformer Prime right new for $600 except I didn't have to pay the $600 until 2050, well, you get my point.
$480 over 2 years is very diffent than $600 over 38 years for any interest rate over 0%. So no I don't really get your point at all. Also a last-gen Acer tablet isn't worth $480 even if paid over 38 years.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Not always true
Did you just link to an app that has a free iphone-optimized version and a free ipad-optimized version to explain why it's better to have one single app that looks like these sparse and ridiculous-looking skype-on-android-tablet screenshot examples?

What is going on in here? Every one of these skype screenshots looks ridiculous even the ones that people are apparently posting as examples of not looking horrible. I'm so confused :(

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Duckman2008 posted:

I haven't had problems with pdfs between phones and tablets myself, so otherwise I couldn't tell you.
Can you be more specific about the types/sizes of PDFs and device/OS combinations that are giving you good results rendering big and/or complex PDFs with no problems or slowdowns? As anandtech reported and I saw to be the case, anything other than a small (<5MB) text-only PDF would nearly cripple a Xoom cr OG transformer runnging any available android version with any of the dozen or so available PDF reader apps. Load in a scanned-page PDF and the bar was lowered even more, leading to 5-10 second page transitions. Is ICS and/or the Prime any better?

I recognize that what is "fine" versus "holy poo poo unacceptable" varies from person to person so maybe someone with a prime or ICS or both or some other awesome android tab can grab a pdf from, for example, http://fullcirclemagazine.org/ and YouTube a video of loading it and changing pages? Bonus points for showing annotation and form-filling. If I can be sure those features will work well and fast I can save my company a bunch of money since we can get a really good deal on android tablets.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice.

edit: fixed typos

randyest fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 10, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Codiusprime posted:

For shits I just downloaded and loaded up an issue of that rag on my Galaxy Nexus (so not really a great test but its something) and it loaded up in probably about 2 to 5 seconds and worked great. Page turns were fluid as was zooming and scrolling. I'll try it on the Galaxy Tab Plus running 3.2 when I get home.
Thanks! That'd be interesting especially if you can cap it and youtube it.

dissss posted:

I only get .epub and .mobi options from that site and they're tiny

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I'd be willing to do a video test of PDF rendering on my Transformer Prime. If someone wants to recommend a test PDF, I'll use that, but otherwise, I'll just load a motherboard manual or something.
Here's a direct link to that magazine's latest PDF, it's not exactly a demanding one, but one from the source that anandtech said caused android rendering slowness. Unfortunately I can't post the confidential pdf's we used to test the xoom and original TF last year, but if there's an android tablet that can handle all of these easily I'll feel confident in bringing up this issue again at my company:
http://dl.fullcirclemagazine.org/issuePY03_en.pdf
Here's another one that's medium sized but not scanned pages:
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/bcamps.pdf
Here are a few decent sources for testing rendering scanned pages:
http://ia600507.us.archive.org/19/items/processedworld08proc/processedworld08proc.pdf
http://books.google.com/books?id=Sl...epage&q&f=false

Thanks in advance everyone! Feel free to pre-download all those pdfs (not interested in download / BW speed) and then switch from one to the next and step through each page as fast as you can, and -- if possible -- add some comments or drawing annotations on a page or two near the middle. Please post in your youtube description which tablet and OS / ROM and PDF reader app you're using. I'm looking forward to showing management that we should give android another go!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

donglelord posted:

No, that is 1080p High Profile that won't work right.

720p should be fine unless you are trying to play a MKV file. MKV files get iffy. Best player I've found for my OG Transformer is Dice Player. I use ES File Explorer to connect to my media server on my network and open and stream it through Dice Player.
720p high profile (and non-high profiles with certain encoding characteristics) don't work well on Tegra 2's in general. Tegra3 seems to handle it better though.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Toady posted:

They're widely available because they're cheap to make, so cheap that you can make your own using a pen, paperclip, and sponge.
Or a SlimJim.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ModestMuse posted:

Hey look, a link that has Transformer Prime information and failure rates.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57373634-94/putting-the-transformer-prime-in-perspective/
Spoiler Alert: It's less than 1%

quote:

CNET: What are the top three Transformer Prime issues, and what has Asus done to address them?
Gary Key: The top three issues in order as calculated by our service center on a worldwide basis is Wi-Fi/Bluetooth (BT)/GPS performance, random lock/reboot, and "serial number not found" issues.
The top three issues are these six issues. Or is that unfair? No, I guess not:

quote:

Wi-Fi/BT/GPS performance
The Wi-Fi/BT/GPS category actually consists of three separate issues.
In conclusion, the manufacturer of a thing told a CNET toady a story about their own statistics regarding the alleged failure rates of that thing, which are neither reviewed nor corroborated by anyone, and those statistics say that the failure rate is slightly less than 1% (which is silly high) but only when accounting for just the top three failure modes, which are actually 6 or more failure modes, and there are no data available about how said statistics were gathered or calculated or what the failure rates are for the other failure modes, or for units returned that mysteriously disappeared from the box or turned to dust during (pre-paid) RMA shipping. Sweet, sell me one of those.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Craptacular! posted:

What we do know about the iPad is that it's margins at launch are extremely tiny, with Apple basically selling them for the cost of parts and manufacture, rolling in dough with their software distribution and their phone business of course.
Where did you get that idea? Wherever, it's wrong.

iPad2 launched on 3/11/2011 at $729 for the 32G 3G model and on 3/13/2011 iSuppli tore it down and put the BOM at $326 for the 32G/3G model. That's a cost of $403, or ~55% profit. Add in manufacturing and that's only another ~$7.

Apple's hardware profit margins are huge right out of the gate, and software profits are relatively tiny -- truly negligibly small and not even in the hundreds of millions. You don't get $100bn in the bank by selling poo poo at tiny margins or taking ~30% (before server/bandwidth costs) to sell some songs and apps for $1 each.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Craptacular! posted:

It seems to be all over the place, with some people thinking they're making almost as much as 50% while others suggest a more modest 25%.
Well neither 25% nor 50% profit margins are "tiny" in any sense of the word, especially when applied to consumer electronics profit margins, and I don't know what chron.com is or who "Toni Sacconaghi at Bernstein Research" is but the link to the "source" for that in that article leads to a search results page that doesn't say anything about iPad margins.

golgo13sf posted:

Does iSuppli take into account the price Apple most likely gets or is that if you or I decided to build a tablet by going to Radio Shack?
They don't say, but FWIW iSuppli is a pretty big and well-respected electronics market research firm. If it's the latter, then the profit margin would be even higher than they estimate. I suspect they do their best to estimate the former.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Internaut! posted:

That's a strong analysis, it's only missing the costs for Apple to design, distribute and market the iPad, the costs to develop the operating system, build retail stores, billion dollar data centers, and a couple other things that somehow lead to Apple's net margins being somewhere in the 23% region instead of 55%.

That's only a 140% error though, so kudos, by IYG standards that's a bullseye!
You're so right, as long as you completely ignore context and consider 23% margin to be "tiny" and agree with the claim that ipads at launch are sold "for the cost of parts and manufacture" which is the claim to which I replied. Here it is again so you can revel in the awesome IYG claim you're defending:

Craptacular! posted:

We have no idea what the iPad's price structure will be like, we've heard one Retina SKU and one without, etc. What we do know about the iPad is that it's margins at launch are extremely tiny, with Apple basically selling them for the cost of parts and manufacture, rolling in dough with their software distribution and their phone business of course.

It does make a compelling argument to drop the iPad 2 to $299 or so, because even at that price only about 15% of the iPad-buying segment is interested in that, and presently non-Android tablets collectively control about 5% of the industry.
No one was talking about R&D, retail store, data center overhead, etc. so maybe if you re-read the initial claim and response in context you'll understand better?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Internaut! posted:

This is wrong and dumb all on its own, no matter how wrong and dumb the original post was as well. Readers can't be expected to follow the chain of wrong and dumb for every post in this thread all the way back to its roots.
Sorry you can't follow the context of a reply that even quoted the post it was in response to. That is neither wrong nor dumb. It's perfectly reasonable to comsider per unit profit without including R&D and every other overhead/expense for certain types of discussions. Such as one where someone says the per unit profit is tiny.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

vkeios posted:

can't wait to put my android tablet on some milk crates and have a coffee table.
And the Microsoft SurfaceTM re-emerges.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

the posted:

I have an Asus Transformer. Lately it's been.. acting weird. I don't know if it's ever since the system update to ICS, but it's pretty close.
-Random reboots.
-Sometimes the home screen just... goes blank. And all I get is the background and the bottom buttons. No option really but to reset.
What the hell is going on?
Judging from XDA and AndroidCentral threads this is not uncommon, and may not even be ASUS-specific, but could be a general ICS problem. I'd hang tight and wait for an ICS update to address it. I'm sure google and ASUS are on it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kynetx posted:

Odd. Why would there have been pre-orders last month?

I think it means 2,000 per orders total, as of last month. At least that's how I read this:

"So when court filings reveal that pre-orders for this poster child for Android 4 tablets (and it does look great) total a whopping 2,000 units as of a month ago, it’s kind of a letdown. That and 80,000 going to retailers worldwide make the device seem rather minor even in comparison to other Android products like the Nook Color and Kindle Fire."

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rastor posted:

So 80,000 per 2 months = about half a million for the year. Not great but better than the numbers that were rumored for the Xoom.
Wasn't it released 12/1/2011 in Taiwan and 12/19/2011 everywhere else? I guess it's not clear if that 80k figure is as of the start or end of last month, but either way its pretty anemic, and beating Xoom sales isn't much to be proud of. Also not sure if it's fair to extrapolate that to a year and assume sales would maintain the same rate as launch, especially given all the attention the press has given the problems with it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

nickhimself posted:

Apple seems to have decided to sit a round out on the idea theft and amazing innovations to let other people play catch up.
What does this mean?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

nickhimself posted:

I'm not going to discuss it here to avoid seeming like a troll or causing a huge problem with peoples OS of choice. I'd voice my opinion over PM but that's about it.
Oh that's OK then; I was curious about what you meant but if you can't explain it without trolling just forget about it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

b0nes posted:

You guys think the Infinity will be priced over $600? Are tablets that are non iPads even selling at that price point?
Depends on how you define "selling."

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lollybean posted:

From the Asus site:

Dock only:
Dimensions: 263 x 180.8 x 8~10.4mm
Weight: 546g
Pad with dock:
Dimensions: 263 x 180.8 x 17~19.4mm
Weight: 1181g
What's up with a 2.4mm range in thickness? Is that the manufacturing tolerance/variation?

Edit: \/\/\/ that makes sense, thanks.

randyest fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 23, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rastor posted:

A little stutter is normal for a little while after first activating an Android device. If it's still happening on day 2 then that's not normal. Have you tried changing the performance v. battery options?
Why is that normal and why/how would a thing get faster or less laggy / stuttery over time?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Glimm posted:

I assumed he meant he had specific readers in mind that do cost money.

Also yeah those memory issues aren't normal. If you're running low on memory Android should be killing background apps for you.
Sounds like he thought he'd have to re buy the media itself from within an app. Which isn't the case as already said.

"I like that I can watch my old videos and read comics on it without having to re-buy them on an application, like I would have to from an iPad,"

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

lamentable dustman posted:

A single speaker on a tablet is dumb and I hope that fad stops
Do you mean for "stereo" purpose? If so, is it possible to get any real separation on a 7" or even 10" tablet? Maybe the close "listening distance" makes that possible (I'm honestly curious and don't know.) if not, and you mean for loudness reasons (which I think is a mildly annoying issue on pretty much every tablet) -- is multiple speakers better than one bigger one for loudness / space used? Again, I don't know and am asking in case you or someone else does.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Merkinman posted:

Using Apple's own formula, the Nexus 7 is "Retina"
What's the formula?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

hotsauce posted:

So, if you were me and you happened to have $500 (I will have it from my iPad sale this week) would you do this? I did pre-order a 16gig Nexus 7, but honestly think I could manage with 8gigs. Of course, 16 would be better though. Essentially this works out to a very similar price-point for both today (after tax and shipping from Google Play).

Edit, a case is also included.
No I would keep the iPad or get the 7 and save the other $250. I'm not you and don't know anything about you, and $250 for the 7 is basically retail maybe saving tax, but I have yet to hear an argument other than "(somewhat) made in the USA!" for why the Q is worth more than $50-75 at most. I wouldn't be so sure google is going to make it something it isn't already. I think it will flop and get abandoned and sold for $50 on woot within months.

randyest fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 2, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Siroc posted:

I bought the Samsung Galaxy s2 in October when it was released in the US and I have very little experience with iPads. I read impressions on the Nexus 7 and they all comment how it is a direct competitor to the Fire, but not to the iPad. Besides the larger screen size and some "higher end" productivity apps (I think Aperture, etc), why aren't people considering this to be an iPad competitor?
10" ipad versus 7" nexus is a completely different thing; remember that's diagonal measurement so the actual screen area difference is huge.

2048x1536 iPad versus 1280x800 nexus 7 is also a different class (more than 3x pixel count difference.)

16/32/64GB iPad versus 8/16GB nexus 7 is also a huge difference.

Also the app selection for the nexus 7 is more comparable to that of the Fire than that of iPad. So many differences it would be weird to consider them in the same class. Seems the nexus 7 is more like a galaxy note than an iPad.

Edit: also 1080p video camera + 5MP camera on the back and front webcam on iPad vs just the 1.2MP front on the nexus 7. And probably most importantly 3G and 4G LTE support on iPad is not an option for nexus 7.

randyest fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 2, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Dodoman posted:

Isn't the Q so expensive because it's being manufactured in the US? Not that it excuses it being overpriced and lacking features.
How do you define "manufactured?" Are the German/Japanese/etc-built components that are then assembled into subsystems in Mexico and then ultimately formed into VWs and Toyotas in North Carolina "manufactured" in the US? If so, yeah, that's a factor, but it's still overpriced.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
The article mentions that the ghosting / image retention is reduced after the device warms up.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is the Android app ecosystem still pretty limited in terms of well-designed, tablet specific apps? That's what's stopping me from springing for a Nexus 7.
Yes unless a significant number of apps have been updated since this.

Rastor posted:

Android has a concept of "dp units" which are used to arrange the layout (by apps which bother to account for different screen sizes, anyway) and are independent of the screen's actual resolution.
Which apps are those?

Rastor posted:

In comparison to iPad, there aren't as many tablet-formatted apps. There definitely are some great tablet apps available though. Have a look at http://www.tablified.com/ to get some idea of what's available.
Yes have a look there and you'll readily see the situation. Front-page featured app:

"Yapı Kredi Mobil Bankacılık HDMake your life easier with Yapı Kredi Mobile Banking application!Yapı Kredi Mobil Bankacılık uygulaması ile hayatınızı kolaylaştırın! Bu uygulama ile Android Tablet kullanıcıları; Yapı ..."

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bull3964 posted:

Matias Duarte talks a bit on tablet specific applications with his interview on The Verge. The tablet app part starts around 5:10 in.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3126644/matias-duarte-on-android-4-1-jelly-bean-and-the-nexus-7

The long and the short of it is, he doesn't want tablet specific apps. He wants apps to use dynamic layout elements such that they respond appropriately to the DPI of the device.

The current Google+ is a good example of this. A 10.1" tablet, 7" tablet, and 4.65" phone are all going to have different layouts even though they have the same screen resolution.
Are there any non-google app examples of this working well?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://androidcommunity.com/google-nexus-7-production-costs-estimated-at-184-20120706/

Apparently, the Nexus 7 costs an estimate of $184 to produce.

The 8GB version ($199) gives Google and ASUS a profit of about $15.

The 16GB version ($249) gives Google and ASUS a profit of about $55.

I'd say most people will buy the 16GB one, at least on Android-centered places so Google / ASUS will make a decent profit. Even the 8GB one will give them something...maybe like $5 after all is said and done?
Am I missing something or does that android community post just link to a TechInsights teardown that lists the "major components" without any prices, then android community somehow jumps to a final total BOM cost without breakdown of prices or any justification whatsoever?

Might want to wait for isuppli to do a proper analysis before drawing any conclusions.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is TechInsights not reliable? I've actually not heard of them before.

Granted, I've never heard of isuppli either.

From what I can tell, Android Community added up the parts that TechInsights listed. Is that what isuppli would do?
I've never heard of TechInsights either, but I can say isuppli is pretty well known and not just some random blog. My company pays them a few dozen grand a year for access to their marketing and technical info, which tends to be about as reliable as marketing and cost analysis info can be. Now that's not to say they're perfect but they do actually tend to try to explain how they come to their conclusions and provide some detail and margin of error estimates.

isuppli would break down the component costs (using reasonable and supportable estimates for the cost of each component) rather than just dropping an obviously-incomplete list of "major components" then pull some random total price out of nowhere. Note that TechInsights doesn't mention a total price at all, and androidcommunity.com doesn't mention where the total price comes from or acknowledge that their "source" doesn't mention a price. It's just weird even by speculative teardown standards.

Here's an example isuppli teardown and BOM analysis:
http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/Nokia-900-Carries-Bill-of-Materials-of-$209.aspx
(had to disable url parsing because SA can't handle the $ in the link)

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Heners_UK posted:

In terms of tablet apps, the N7 is basically lighting a fire under the development community to make more tablet apps.
How so? Isn't the consensus that tablet-specific apps are unnecessary and even undesirable, since android just scales up phone apps so well, effectively making them universal and avoiding the need to pay for the same app twice (one for phone one for tablet?) Didn't some google exec flat out say as much? Where are you hearing about lots of developers getting into making tablet-customized apps?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Heners_UK posted:

Perhaps then I should have used the term tablet-suitable apps (which could be phone apps that scale up to the larger interface well). Looking at The Verge's review, a good example of an existing app which does this is Google+, but one which us a phone app that hasn't had much tablet thought is Twitter...
I thought android handled that for developers automatically due to the scaling architecture? Is that not the case and google had to do special things to make G+ work well on a tablet?

dissss posted:

Android apps can have a tablet and phone version in the same apk, this is what is desirable. No one is saying scaled phone apps are the way to go , although I can see how they'd be less offensive at 7" than 10
OK so something like a universal app where devs make two versions (or I guess maybe even more than two?) and package them together? That makes more sense, but I think some people are saying that scaling is the way to go.

Rastor posted:

Android isn't limited to only 2 (+2) resolutions; it scales from tiny 2" QVGA screens all the way to giant Television displays.
Didn't Matias Duarte say something similar? Anandtech is down right now so I can't re-read the page I remember seeing that mentioned.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Does "ecosystem" mean "app selection"? That term seems to be used in lots of different ways.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

revolther posted:

Wouldn't common knowledge be that leaving the two components attached while powered down is triggering the usb connectors as if charging but no current is supplied so your batteries are draining into nothing overnight.
Is that really commen knowledge? Nothing in the USB spec would indicate that's the case. And since the tablet doesn't ever charge the dock I don't see how it could work as you describe, since both devices are losing battery when off.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Yes if he hasn't already gotten the faulty chipset replaced in his old TF101 he should certainly ship it back to ASUS for repair, but since he said "lately" I assumed this was a new problem. TF101's been out a long time.

That bug was (is) a hardware failure / design issue and not something "common knowledge" would indicate since, again, this is not a USB problem in general, and other devices (including fixed original TF101s) don't have a problem with battery loss sleeping / powering off when docked.

This is not a "UNIQUE DOCK NOT GENERALLY USED BY THESE TYPES OF DEVICES", it's the dock ASUS sells to go specifically and exclusively with this device :confused:

I don't know, but it just sounds like you're beating up the guy for not having the "common knowledge" to not use the thing he bought in the way it's marketed to be used. But then again he did buy an ASUS tablet so maybe you have a point.

Edit: FYI USB host, device, and dual-role OTG port state is triggered by termination and applied voltage and the OS manages this as well as battery state. There is no reason to (permanently and unalterably) embed those things that need to be tweaked/optimized/customizable in hardware.

randyest fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BoyBlunder posted:

On top of that, Google is no longer cancelling Play orders for the Nexus 7. The only way to cancel an order is refuse the UPS delivery. If you're not around, and they drop off the package, you'll need to drop it off at a UPS center to return to sender. Very frustrating.
:stare: they'll drop a $200-$250 package on your doorstep without a signature?

That's weird; I'd always have to pre-sign/pre-authorize anonymous delivery (which I won't) for no-signature delivery to get just about anything over $50 delivered without someone there to sign for it.