Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sioux posted:

With a relatively low budget, is there any particular reason I shouldn't get an Asus ZenPad S 8? Another option is the regular ZenPad 10. The increased size might be better as we'll be using it at home, but since we will be mostly using it for e-mail and browsing (and not for video) I guess the 4:3 display on the S 8 is the better choice here in favor of screen size?

I picked up an s 8 earlier this month and I love it. The only (arguable) downside is rooting is kind of a bitch and there isn't much of a development scene for it so nobody is putting out custom ROMs, if that kind of thing matters to you at all.

It's nice and lightweight and the screen is gorgeous.

Virtue posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a tablet! Comics, pdfs, web browsing, and that's pretty much it. Maybe gaming/movies for travel but it's not that important. Nice screen res is a plus. I'm thinking something relatively cheap (< $200). Maybe the Galaxy Tab Pro?

This is literally all I do with my tablet, the screen is great for reading comic books.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Where the gently caress are all the 8” tablets without dogshit terrible 1280x800 screens?

My ageing Tab S2 is on its last legs and the only thing I can find to replace it with even a remotely acceptable resolution is a Lenovo Tab M8, which is already 2 android versions out of date and will likely never ever see an update even from the homebrew community from the looks of it since there doesn’t seem to be a single custom ROM out there.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My current phone is a iPhone 13 pro max so I’m no stranger to the giant phone experience nor iOS, but from a tablet I explicitly want something that isn’t a gigantic slab but still has a decent screen for viewing images and also has a microSD slot so I’m not beholden to paying out the rear end for more onboard storage upfront, or tied to whatever I happen to have on the tablet at any given time when I could just change the card.

I also like having a mobile device I can sideload poo poo on to gently caress around with if something interesting comes out rather than being trapped in the App Store, and my tablet fills that niche.

My favourite tablet I ever owned was my ASUS z580c and I had to pay like 3x what that cost me originally for my Tab S2 to replace it because it was the only useful option at the time despite being barely an upgrade for my usage.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

How intrusive are the ads on a fire tablet?

It would be kind of lovely to have to sit through one when you just want to fire up the baby monitor quickly and see what’s up.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Fire toolbox supports it so it should be fine