Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

El Duke posted:

Also, unrelated, why are you "dual-wielding" a phone and a tablet? Not understanding why this would be necessary.

Personally l "dual wield" my phone and tablet to share 4G from my phone to the tablet.

My iPad using friends really like the notification system on the Xoom and quick access controls to airplane mode, wifi on/off, play/pause on music. I wouldn't say they marvel over the device though, the stuttering that sometimes occurs during homescreen transitions is enough to turn them off. At least with ICS this doesn't happen often anymore.

Glimm fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

El Duke posted:

Yeah, but you're not using them at the same time, correct? That seemed to be the implication of Fryhtaning.

Then again what he said sounded like copy from a shooting script for a VZW Droid commercial, so who knows, maybe he it literally.

Oh good point, now that I've re-read his post it seems he was subtly (or not so subtly) mocking those ridiculous commercials.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

dissss posted:

Explain how 'Android' caters to 'tweakers'

Without rooting etc it is possible to change and adjust quite a few settings and important system components on Android (like your launcher, browser, sms app, widgets). It's definitely tweaker friendly.

Shorter Than Some posted:

Needing to tinker is never an advantage, being able to might be, the advantage of the Nook Colour is it's price point, the fact that you need to tinker with it is not a point in its favour.

One doesn't need to tweak the Nook Color to use it successfully. My mom certainly didn't tweak hers and she loves it.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I know Barnes and Noble added in support for magazines awhile ago in the Nook app.

Yeah my wife uses this quite a bit, but I've never bothered. I'm waiting for more interactive magazines!

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

My Linux Rig posted:

Actually, you might want to hold off until Android Jelly Bean comes out this summer.

Care to elaborate?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

IT Guy posted:

At least it isn't iTunes for Windows.

Not that iTunes for OS X is very good either. Still, beats the command line for the vast majority of people.

You know it probably wouldn't be terribly difficult to make a cross-platform UI that wraps around using 'adb backup' to manage Android devices.. I think I'll look into this.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

dissss posted:

As asked this before but didn't get a response - does any current tablet have decent wifi reception?

Define 'decent'? I use my Xoom all over my house (3 floors), my laptops (MBP/MBA/Toshiba) have no problem connecting and neither does my Xoom.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

McLarenF1 posted:

I bet it's Asus' TFT700 (second gen Prime) with iPad3'esque resolution screen and updated non-wireless deflecting case. Way to out scoop Apple a week before it supposedly announces it's new tablet Asus :clint:

I hope this thing has a GPU capable of handling those pixels.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

nukethewhales posted:

Have any companies even demonstrated GPU chipsets that can outperform what's in the iPad 2 (PowerVR SGX) yet? ASUS might end up undoing Google's attempt at smoothing the UI out in Ice Cream Sandwich if they're not careful.

This is what I'm afraid of/expecting.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

randyest posted:

And the Microsoft SurfaceTM re-emerges.

These things are actually pretty awesome. I would love to have one of these.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

I just got an email from Motorola advertising a spill proof Xyboard.

I totally need a tablet for using in the hot tub.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

The Xyboard came out 4 months ago. And is basically a xoom with funny corners.

Yeah but, spill proof.

Gonna be a party hit :colbert:

http://www.slashgear.com/motorola-xyboard-waterproof-editions-revealed-08217587/

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

So now that we are past the new iPad's launch, have thee been any announced price drops for existing android tabs? Are we to the point where there is a solid android tab competitor or are we still in "just get an iPad" territory for tech hobbyists like myself?

I've seen/heard a lot of complaints about the Transformer Prime on the internet, but the same can be said of the new iPad with its overheating and signal issues. Personally I use both fairly regularly at work and because I prefer Android in general (and the widescreen format, I watch lots of video) I would recommend the Prime over the iPad. So, no, definitely not in "just get an iPad" territory, but yeah there are still horror stories in this thread.

Glimm fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 7, 2012

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Peven Stan posted:

Just get an iPad. I had the first gen Transformer and it was literally the worst consumer electronics product I've ever had the unfortunate displeasure of using. Nothing worked right, and one of the draws of the device-- netflix, would artifact and glitch every 30 seconds-1 minute of playback.

Random reboots, laggy software (can't even view PDFs for fucks sake), and few tablet optimized apps mean you're better off spending the $359 on a refurb iPad 2 than an android "tablet" device.

Sounds like you should've RMA'd your device.

I find Netflix much more pleasing on a widescreen device, the 4:3 aspect ratio of the iPad is pretty annoying.

I don't have issues reading PDFs on my Xoom using Aldiko, what software were you using?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Peven Stan posted:

As a former non-iPad haver, get an iPad.

As a current iPad/Xoom haver, get whichever you like the best. For me it's the Xoom (my iPad is used pretty much only for development as I find the OS too irritating to use for day to day tasks).

Also playing with my buddies Transformer Prime at work and its keyboard dock I'd say it's the best tablet/dock combo available at the moment.

Glimm fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 2, 2012

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

My Linux Rig posted:

Have you gotten any development projects that are exclusively for Android?

I haven't gotten any development project that was exclusive to either of the major mobile OS's.

Though I routinely deal with clients who want iOS interfaces in their Android applications, to the detriment of just about every piece of the user experience on Android devices.

Don Lapre posted:

Why do you care about customizing the home screen more than changing the wallpaper and putting your shortcuts where you want them?

Ive personally never found widgets very useful, they are mostly glorified app launchers, never showing enough information to be really valuable.

I like the Calendar and Gmail widgets for displaying information and quickly getting to particular tasks. On my tablet I use the Books widget as well as I like just opening the Books app directly to my book of choice (though this really is just a glorified, prettier, app launcher). The aesthetic of these widgets are really nice as well. With the 3.0+ music controls being handled beautifully within the settings I find the music widget pretty unnecessary but I used to use it as well. It's definitely pretty in any case.

On my mobile I use the Soundhound widget because I like being able to identify a song without bothering to open the app entirely. I used to use the power strip widget as well but now most of that lives within my statusbar. I also used to use a weather widget which was pretty, but now I just have the temperature always displaying in my status bar and if I want to see more I pull the shade down.

It's nice to be able to break up the home screen and organize it various ways, this certainly helps with my own muscle memory of where things are located.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

My Linux Rig posted:

So nobody has come to you saying they want their Web app to look like an Android app?

Actually I lied in my above statement, I've done one app that was solely on the iPad and 2 that are solely on Google TV.

And no. I don't make Web apps, so I've never had a client come to me about making one.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Kynetx posted:

I can accept some glitchyness ... but my mom can't.

I've had glitchy experiences on both platforms, the most annoying (to me) on iOS (iTunes randomly wiping devices and removing their backups). So I guess I'd recommend your mom not use any tablet device?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

El Duke posted:

iTunes is pretty much out of the equation with iOS5. Also those things probably didn't happen.

Yeah, it's nice that iTunes is no longer required - I was just pointing out a particularly glitchy experience I personally had with iOS/iTunes. Also, you're probably a complete douche.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Kynetx posted:

Now you're being a jackass. Any tech product can have a unique catastrophic failure. Your highly uncommon and hyperbolic device failure is no more valid for condemning iOS than something equally rare on Android or WP7.

I think your calling me a jackass (and saying my device failure story was hyperbolic) is being a jackass. For what it is worth I completely agree with the rest of your statement (in fact it was essentially my point).

edit:

DVG50 if you'd like to PM me for specifics I can explain in a bit more detail, it happened to a fair number of users (3 people I personally know had the same experience).

Glimm fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 3, 2012

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Kynetx posted:

Android Tablet Thread: only 30% Android havers

To be fair this sounds about right given the Android tablet market share.

:downsrim:

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Jizzle Drizzle posted:

Ok, thanks for confirming what I thought was true. I just had to make sure that it wasn't some dumb power saving feature. Should I try getting it repaired through Samsung support, or just return it to Best Buy and get a new one?

I'd go the Best Buy route first since you bought it recently, probably quicker and less of a hassle.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Bonxai posted:

But more on topic and less about Apple/Android, would it be a huge mistake to buy a TF300 now that the next dual booting Android/Win 8 tablet has been announced? I'd love to have such a thing, but knowing Asus it will take forever before it's released, and I've already waited that long for the Infinity that's never coming out. Maybe my best option will be to get a 300 and sell it when the new one comes out.

There's always going to be a next great device. I'd probably at least way until IO to see if something amazing is coming (cheapo T3 Nexus tablet at 7"?) but otherwise if you've tested one of the current generation tablets and like it, I'd just grab it. You can always sell it and use that to help feed your addiction when the next model comes out.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

An 18" tablet is sure to be ridiculous, but it kinda reminds me of Microsoft's Surface (http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx). Surface is actually really cool (my university had one I got to play with) and I'd love to have a coffee table like that (especially if it ran Android).

Man I'm a nerd.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

El Duke posted:

this doesn't answer your questions but you don't have to "rebuy" anything on an iPad. There are plenty of comic/cbz readers and third party video players available to read/play whatever you already have.

But, what you're describing isn't normal, I've used an original Galaxy 10.1 that didn't even have memory issues like that.

I assumed he meant he had specific readers in mind that do cost money.

Also yeah those memory issues aren't normal. If you're running low on memory Android should be killing background apps for you.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

randyest posted:

Sounds like he thought he'd have to re buy the media itself from within an app. Which isn't the case as already said.

"I like that I can watch my old videos and read comics on it without having to re-buy them on an application, like I would have to from an iPad,"

Yeah so I assumed wrong / have an inability to comprehend words.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Zombie Rasputin posted:

I think this is the easiest solution. Couple this with making the ui more themeable/extensible so sense/touchwiz/whatever don't do things that an os upgrade would break.

This would be amazing. It sounds pretty reasonable to me that they could go this route, but I don't know if ICS -> JB was a long enough time period to do something like that.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Really? No one's talking about the Nexus 7 infodump we got today?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/27/3120884/google-nexus-7-first-image-leak

I was too busy ordering it :D

Please arrive soon Nexus 7.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

The page was pulled.

Oh terrible, I hope they don't cancel my order :ohdear:

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

bull3964 posted:

After seeing some of the hands on stuff, I think I may pre-order one this week. I've been digging the 7" form factor more and more and it would be nice to have something lighter than my Xoom.

The video on Droid Life is interesting, especially the way the notification shade works. It's not 100% phone UI as the shade is concentrated in the center and not the full width of the device. I've also seen picture sin landscape where the back, home and app switching buttons are centered at the bottom rather than being off to one side.

I'm ASSUMING this is going to be the standard UI for 4.1 and not just some special layout for 7" models. Won't know for sure until the Xoom update is pushed out.

Yeah this seems pretty weird to me. One of the things I hate on my iPad is dropdown shade, it seems so out of place - like it belongs on a phone (and it behaves a little weirdly, you can pull it down from anywhere on the status bar, but must slide it back up only from the the shade itself, but my main point is I think the notifications on Android 3.0 - 4.0 is much more natural for tablets).

Also, I think the buttons in the center may be to make it less likely for the user to accidentally bump them while reading/gaming with a hand holding on to the left edge, but I think it'll be pretty inconvenient.

These aren't huge concerns as custom roms will probably make it pretty easy to get the old functionality back (might take some time for the new larger notification options).

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

I didn't see a fixed Google Play link posted:
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_8gb&feature=nexus7_campaign

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

I thought the TF Infinity was the niche "Retina For Android" device?

This device isn't available and as far as I know has no release date. I don't think high ppi displays are really a niche thing myself - I'm sure Android could stand to have a few more available.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

GoodApollo posted:

I'm having some issues with my TF300T, just wondering if anyone can provide any insight. I've had the thing for a little over a month (I think) and have never been able to properly get OTAs. So far I've just been downloading and installing them from Asus website. The past week I've noticed I've been getting errors in the Play store where it marked apps incapable that I know should be fine (like Firefox).

I found a thread on XDA where other people were having similar problems, but it was an old thread with no conclusion. A lot of people mentioned that they couldn't get their device to come up on Asus Device Tracker (invalid serial or something similar). I had the same issue when I tried using it. Some said a factory restore would help but it did not. Furthermore, after digging out the warranty card, I noticed the serial number on it is one number different on the end than what it says in the status menu on the tablet. What the gently caress? My wife says it's the same number I'm just a blind bastard. I'm not really sure how to proceed.

I am not rooted, have kept everything stock.

Sounds really messed up, have you tried customer support?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I look forward to seeing them in SA-Mart soon.

Me too. Dibs on the Q!

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You also use air droid. It syncs with your phone to text from your desktop. Dunno about tablets though.

It's browser based right? Should be able to connect to the address of your phone with Chrome on the tablet to send/view texts.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Interesting, looks like you don't *have* to have a 16GB nexus. If you root and get an OTG cable (amazon link: here) you can basically plug a thumb drive into your tablet, or a keyboard or mouse or whatever. problem solved for $1.13. Probably worth mentioning, wish I knew about this before.

Seems like a pain in the rear end generally. Probably okay for flights and stuff (which is really when I'd need more storage anyway).

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

IT Guy posted:

Take it off but keep it somewhere, like in the official box. ASUS has been known before to reject warranty claims missing the sticker, or so I've read.

Yeah I heard this too so I just stuck the sticker on the inside of my box. No idea if it's true or not but I typically keep boxes for these products anyhow so it wasn't a big deal to store it.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

Basically, is there anybody in here that's super satisfied with their purchase?

Mine works great, I use it quite a bit for movies/reading. No build issues that I've seen. Same with a co-worker who bought one (we both pre-ordered early on).

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Asus quality control sucks as well as their ability to service said products.

I've heard horror stories in this thread (mostly referencing Xda) but I've been using Asus for PC parts for years with no issues. Anecdotal evidence and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

IzzyNobre posted:

I've been thinking of picking up a Nexus 7, and my main use in tablets is reading comics. What is the quality of .cbr/.cbz reading apps? Will purchases made on Comixology on an iOS device load on the Android version of the app? I'm assuming yes.

Also, what's the best way to read comics on the Nexus 7? Portrait with a little zooming, or landscape and vertical scrolling through the pages?

All the comics I buy with Comixology display frame by frame, so they're pretty perfect on the Nexus 7.

If the entire page is displayed at once though I'd guess landscape and fit to width would be the way to go.