Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

randyest posted:

According to the charts in the OP of the "recommend me a tablet" thread (which I think come from the anandtech review) he should be getting a lot more than that unless he's doing 100% constant 3d gaming at high brightness.

Yeah about 7 hours probably to run it down all the way. All I can think is the software rendering in MX Player was going crazy, but that doesn't explain the pretty stable downward slope even when video wasn't playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Siroc posted:

My mom wants a stylus. Anyone have experience with them on a Nexus 7 or any other tablet?

No personal experience with that but I don't think they would work really well without specific software to take advantage of the added precision. I think the Samsung Note line of products is worth looking at though, as they're designed with that in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbgBxr4H59A

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Wozbo posted:

Hey guys, a quick question: I'm looking to maybe get a tablet, and I really want to be able to code on the thing. Do android tablets support doing various languages (perhaps in a VM etc) or is it java only via AIDE or whatever it's called?

What kind of coding would you like to be able to do?

You can use the Scripting Layer for Android to do some neat stuff.

Clojure REPL looks like it coule be fun to play with, but I haven't seen it used for anything really interesting or particularly neat.

Everyone's favorite editor (Vim) is available on Android as well.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Wozbo posted:

C/ C++ coding at a minimum, and I'd like to be able to test, say, nodejs scripts and/ or run some linux vm. I'm actually looking at something akin to a Windows 8 tablet now that I know I can run something like virtualbox, so sorry for taking up your time.

This stuff seems like it would be possible on Android but definitely a pain in the rear end. When the x86 Windows 8 tablets come out they'll handle this easily - probably a smart move.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Ozmodiar posted:

Does anybody else get absolute crap for standby battery life on the Nexus 7?

The screen on time seems to be pretty much as advertised, however I seem to lose between 10 and 15 percent battery while in standby mode over night.

Other than this issue, I have no real complaints about the directions Android has gone over the last year since I primarily switch to iOS.

If anyone has experienced this issue, what have you done to correct it?

The only thing I can think of, would be tasker, but I'm not sure if that is the easiest/most ideal solution or not.

Check your battery stats in the settings menu. It should tell you what's eating your battery life.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Syrinxx posted:

My TF700 has great battery life and can standby for about a 1.5-2 weeks. And it seems like my iPad 3 could easily last about a month between charges. Not sure what's up with the 7" tablets.

Just spit balling here, but I would guess they have smaller batteries?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Quatrefoil posted:

So, I just got a Nexus 7, activated it earlier today. Now I'm trying to install apps via usb and can't because I apparently need some kind of a file manager. Which I can't install without wifi? I don't have access to wifi at home right now, so is my only option to wait until I'm near a wireless network again? I tried setting a wifi hotspot on my phone with joikuspot but the tablet's not seeing that.

I'm not sure what you mean, how exactly are you trying to install apps? Using adb? You could get that by downloading the Android SDK, but probably you should just upload the apks to your Google Drive account and download/install them that way.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

PhonyMcRingRing posted:

How's he gonna download it from Google Drive without wifi?

I'm an idiot? I totally read that he didn't have wifi on the tablet but it didn't quite sink in.

In that case you can install the Android SDK and use adb (this xda link may help: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1830108). Then you can just do 'adb install <your apk filename>' from the command line.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

rndm posted:

Is there no way to share apps on a N7 when creating multiple users per tablet?

I'm not sure what you mean with this question. If you download an app with one user it will download instantly with a second and create a separate space to save data for that user. A few apps don't play nicely with this though (glaringly Google Talk doesn't handle this yet, but no other app I use regularly seems to have this issue).

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

real_scud posted:

Those of you who had to RMA a 7 or 10, how long did it take? I called customer support about my 10 that's unable to stay powered on and it's been 4 days with no response. I did get some email chain started about it being forwarded to someone else

I don't get who the hell it's forwarded to and why they're waiting on a reply from them. The damned thing doesn't work what else needs to be found out from someone besides myself.

I called to RMA my wife's Nexus 10 two nights ago (random reboots), a new one is arriving tomorrow and they emailed us UPS labels to ship the old one back. I'm surprised it is taking so long for you to get a response, I'd call back.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Walh Hara posted:

The version of my Nexus 7 is still Jellybean 4.1. Should I update my nexus 7 to 4.2.1?

I've gotten the impression that 4.2 introduced a lot of bugs (ie.teethgrinder's bug) and as such I wonder wether updating is recommended.

My Nexus 7 was blazingly fast on 4.1 and slowed down tremendously on 4.2.1. I ended up putting Cyanogenmod on it, which sped it up (placebo?) but not as fast as it was.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

What kind of battery life are people getting out of the Nexus 10? I'm seeing crazy fast drain on standby to where letting it sit for a little over 24 hours cost 40% battery, let alone from actually using it. It's bad enough that I'm thinking of taking it back.

Under advanced Wi-Fi settings try turning "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to 'Only when plugged in'.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Syle187 posted:

Any Nexus 10 owners have issues with programs randomly closing? I can immediately open them back up, but it makes me unable to watch hulu or netflix really.

Nope. This sounds pretty crazy, are you rooted or anything? Do you see a force close or are they just closing?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Syle187 posted:

I am not rooted. I haven't tried a factory reset, I might when I get home tonight. I just noticed this the other day with chrome, I would be browsing away and then suddenly I would be on the home screen again. I can just open chrome and I would be right back where I was, but still, very annoying. I'm not sure what would cause this.

Sounds like somehow the home button is being activated?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

randyest posted:

You're thinking of iCloud. Android doesn't have anything like that yet, unfortunately.

Well, it does - but developers don't tend to use it (it isn't automatic).

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

JesusDoesVegas posted:

My Xoom has been well loved over the years, and is getting a bit long in the tooth. I'm looking to upgrade (and perhaps get something a bit smaller). Is it worthwhile getting the nexus 7, or is there a new model right around the corner I should wait for?

Totally wait. The Nexus 7 was announced last June/released in July. Hopefully a new one will be announced soon.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Hopefully it'll support Miracast at least.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

THE LUMMOX posted:

drat maybe that's it! Does this mean if I've ever had less than 2gb it triggers a bug that stays even after I clear space? I'm worried about factory resetting because last time I couldn't update passed 4.1 and now I'm overseas so I can't easily RMA it.

Resetting the device isn't going to downgrade you if that's what you're worried about?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

JoeMB posted:

I still don't understand why new devices are still releasing with 4.2. It should be atleast 4.3 by now.

-edit- poo poo read that wrong.

I don't understand why new devices (especially tablets!) are releasing with hardware buttons. Don't people rotate tablets like, all the drat time?

This is why I'll never get a (non-Nexus) Samsung device.

Well that and Samsung sucks at software.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

GregNorc posted:

Most of the mobi files say they "cannot be processed" - apparently only epub work?

PDF works too, but I think that's it?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm pressing down on the back of my 5 and seeing some flex. I think I should alert Ars/Verge/BobsPhoneBlog so they can test other devices as well. This flexgate thing is this generation's 9/11.

Edit: Sweet Mary and Joseph it's happening on my work 5C! :tinfoil:

My iPad Air and Nexus 10 flex too :( :( :(

My MotoX on the other hand does not.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Sigh.

So.

Despite being the most outspoken opponent of nvidia SoCs and thinking the Pixel C was a half baked product.... I have one arriving on Friday.

This is partly born out of my continuing dissatisfaction with the Nexus 9 and partly due to the improvements that seem to have happened with the latest patch.

It came down to this. If I sell the N9 and finally get around to selling my N10, it nearly pays for the Pixel C and it HAS to be better than the N9, right?

Still keeping my N7 though and will totally but the hell out of a N7 replacement. 7" widescreen form factor is way too useful.

The Pixel C is pretty great, I love mine so far. Only issues are the ones mentioned above: the lowest volume is too high, the lowest brightness is a bit too bright. And you need to install the system update pretty much immediately as it fixes touch absolutely crippling touch handling issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Syrinxx posted:

My Xperia Z2 tablet just got the marshmallow update. Still the best 10" tablet that isn't an iPad.

I recently updated from the Z2 to the Pixel C. I prefer the Pixel now.

The iPad Air 2s are really nice though.