Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Though not exactly Lovecraftian, I'd say the Dead Space novel (http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-Martyr-Brian-Evenson/dp/0765325039) could fit this thread. It's based on a game, yes, but I didn't find it too terrible; the writing is bad to mediocre at best, but the plot itself is interesting enough. It focuses around a truly alien artifact found in an ancient crater, and people who don't know better (of course) messing with it until things turn very, very sour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Ornamented Death posted:

Honestly, if your goal is to introduce people to weird fiction, the only real recommendation to make is The Weird edited by the Vandermeers.

I bought The Weird some time ago because it was so praised in the thread, and.. I don't get it. There have been one or two pretty enjoyable stories in it so far (about 50% through), but for me the rest have been just ridiculously boring, grasping messes that just fizzle out at the end without anything even remotely creepy or horrifying in them.

It's strange since usually I enjoy weird short story collections a lot, but in this case it almost feels like everyone is talking about a different book altogether.

EDIT: I decided to shelf it for now and give the Laundry series another chance; I've been reading the Fuller Memorandum and it definitely clicked with me more than the Atrocity Archives. The occasional "+2 pistol or demon-slaying, Windows is unreliable amirite"-humor and the overwrought office jargon are definitely annoying, but not dealbreakingly so yet.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 13, 2014

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Drunken Baker posted:

Christ almighty. Just started Worlds of Hurt. What the heck am I reading? :psyduck:

Yeah, I tried Kindle's free sample of it. Starts with graphic descriptions of children's balls being cut off and fed to dogs, continues with anal rape. Uh..

Are the other stories in it better, or is all of it just shock value shlock like this?