Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

a silver spaceship posted:

For a less serious take on the genre, read A Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman. It's kind of a spoof but develops some interesting ideas.

This story can be found a Neil Gaiman's website, here:
http://www.neilgaiman.com/mediafiles/exclusive/shortstories/emerald.pdf

It's got some pretty sweet illustrations in it.

For those who don't know, it's a short story that mashes together the Sherlock Holmes stories with Lovecraftian stuff. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I don't think so. And the Hellboy movies, while definitely flawed, have some pretty cool lovecraftian inspired things in them.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I'm reading through the Night Land rewrite and I keep thinking how this would make a loving epic movie or miniseries.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I kept a page of two of the more absurd pages of House of Leaves bookmarked. A few months ago my brother came snooping around looking for books to "borrow" AKA never return, and he asked me about this.

I flip open to my chosen page and it has prose running up, down, sideways, in a little box in the corner that persisted for like a chapter, and a ton of footnotes. Not to mention there's at least three colors in play and a paragraph of footnotes.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

pixelbaron posted:

I actually bought a copy of this after reading most of that retelling someone linked earlier and I was really reluctant to because of that horrible cover. I mean, I can understand a cover like that for a e-reader edition but jesus.

If I bought that I'd rip the cover off. It's a drat shame, because the imagery that could come out of that book is epic. A giant steel pyramid, burning with a thousand lights, while darkness and huge, weird beasts encroach on all sides? We should get a talented goon artist to do it.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Since Gaiman's story was mentioned, I'll put down "Shadows Over Baker Street" which is Holmes in a Lovecraftian world. It contains Gaiman's story and its enjoyable enough on the cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Over-Baker-Street-Terror/dp/0345452739/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331491209&sr=1-1

There's a couple good stories in here but I couldn't really recommend it. I've read every Sherlock Holmes adventure and nearly every Lovecraft story, but quite a few of these seemed like they didn't really get the spirit of feel of either of those two.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Also, the plotline of the games Lovecraftian, literally. Us mere mortals were not meant to understand it.

I really loved DS1, but I'm still surprised that it somehow spawned a decent sequel, a bunch of movies, books, and action figures.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Maremidon posted:

He apparently goes by YellowJester on his forums, so I assume he's a King Crimson fan.

For some reason King Crimson has always given me Lovecraftian vibes...

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

My favorite part of JDATE (the book) is when the two main characters both grow goatees to deceive their nigh-omnipotent supernatural enemies into thinking they're different people, and it pretty much works.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

langurmonkey posted:

If you liked Clive Barker then a few more of his that I like are

The Great and Secret Show
The Damnation Game
Cabal

Those three all have Barker's trademark two worlds interacting in horrific ways.
Two others that are more "fantastic" but still in his milieu are

Weaveworld
Imajica (good but very long)

In a more cosmic horror vein then Ramsey Campbell is good - Cold Print has some spooky stuff in it.

I can back up the recommendations for The Great and Secret Show and Weaveworld. I really, really disliked The Damnation Game however.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

CuddleChunks posted:

Is this the book and story you were looking for?
http://www.amazon.com/Cthulhu-Kindr...kindred+horrors

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0601741.txt

"The Fire of Asshurbanipal"

I love the story, lots of good creepiness out in the desert.

This was a drat good read.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Mr Shivers was ok. Not everyone's first novel is a Neuromancer or Lie of Locke Lamora. I had just read American Gods a few weeks before I read it so I probably liked it less than most (Mr Shivers was kinda cribbin' off that novel a bit). It also took itself a bit too seriously, but I think I might check out his new book anyway.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I picked up Reign of Cthulhu because I am bad with money and it is very ungood. Nothing manages to capture even a tenth of the greatness of A Colder War.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

Damnit, man, I warned against doing that!

You could say that in my foolish quest for forbidden knowledge I sought out a monstrous book and read it, and in the process I paid a ghastly price.

Seriously that thing was like nine bucks.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Ghostwoods posted:

Declare is a slow burn, sure, but I found it beautiful, tantalising, and engrossing. If it's not your sort of thing then that's fine, but I can't accept that it needs editing. I had a look at the Void's Amazon sample though, and yes, the writing does seem ham-fisted. It's a lot less dire than 99% of stuff on the Kindle store, but that's not exactly a recommendation nowadays.

I just re-read Declare. I first read it a few years back upon recommendations from this very forum. I thought it was a bore when I read it first.

I don't know what I was thinking. What a great novel. Helps to have a few Wikipedia tabs open while reading.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Any good free weird fiction e book recommendations on like say project Gutenberg?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Thanks for the responses, I'm on a shoestring budget over here. I actually was in the process of reading the Night Lands rewrite a while back but I think it wasn't finished yet or something.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I haven't read Anubis Gates yet but Declare is really loving good.

I'm thinking about ordering his other novel The Drawing of the Dark because the description sounds loving amazing.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

He wrote this really great weird/funny/terrifying front page series

http://www.somethingawful.com/series/conex-convict-connections/

He also wrote this book called LIMINAL STATES which truth be told I really didn't enjoy. But it's definitely weird and probably horror.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Anyone who likes this genre should really check out the new Darkest Dungeon game. I backed it on Kickstarter and it scratches this itch better than most books do.

Turn-based game inspired by horror, Dark Souls, and Hellboy-ish artwork? I'm also getting distinct Oregon-Trail vibes??

Holy gently caress, sign me up.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Ramadu posted:

Which makes the Annhilation Score so much worse because of that. All of a sudden I switch perspectives and so I miss out on the further aftermath.

I don't think the ending was bad per se but after having the Sleeper in the Pyramid awoken in one book, and a close call with The King in Yellow I'm seriously ready to stop being blue balled.

Also, what was the cylinder or tube that Officer Friendly through in the portal before they closed it? I might have missed if they alluded to it earlier but I got the feeling it was a nuke?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Evfedu posted:

Just got to Michael Chabon's The God of Dark Laughter and it owns.

It was pretty good, but it ended so quickly! I wanted more. It's free to read online, btw.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Cut that book in half and it'd be great instead of nearly OK.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Since we're talking about Dan Simmons, anyone read Carrion Comfort? It looks interesting based on the back cover blurb.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I'm actually certain you could show Lovecraft a picture of Eva Mendez and he'd rescind his racist ways instantly.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

There's a benevolent God in Declare because Noah's Ark is real, and baptism cures an inherent defect in the human soul.

Whether or not you choose to recognize that particular deity as benevolent is up to you, but in the context of the book its clear.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

I don't know if it'd classify as defect, I interpreted it like a "running water as folk remedy based on reality" thing. As for Noah's Ark there sure as hell isn't anything benevolent in there; I haven't read it in quite a while but the impression I remember having was that Bible got it wrong and it's a metaphor for the djinn stowed away there.

Might be wrong, I need to read it again.

The Ark they encountered isn't Noah's, which is said to be elsewhere like a few mountains away. It's the Djinn's life-raft, which they hooked onto Noah's Ark to escape the flood. The Djinn are explicitly parasites. As far as the baptism thing, Hale encounters a supernatural immortal king or something, who demands to know how Hale no longer has "the black drop in every human's heart" or something. Hale thinks it was baptism, saving him from original sin iirc.

So there's no actual Jesus descending from the clouds type stuff, but it's clear the author was attempting to invoke some notion of the divine as existing.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

What about The Damnation Game?

I read this and really hated it. I enjoyed the first couple Books of Blood, Hellbound Heart, Weaveworld, and The Great and Secret Show. The last two are more of his dark fantasy rather than horror, but I have no problem recommending any of these.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I read Matthew Bartlett's Gateways to Abomination which I believe was recommended here. It's a collection of loosely related short horror fiction. It was very short, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I ended up wanting more.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Peztopiary posted:

I'd never heard of Anders Fager, he's a Swedish mythos writer. Being Swedish, most of his work isn't available in English. The only story I could find that is translated, The Furies From Boras is really well written. There's a Tor article about the story as well, if you like that kind of thing.

Man, I dislike the writing style here. Not sure if it's because it's a translation or what. Also, I just plain dislike the story .

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Joe Hill's NOS4A2 is pretty good.

Yeah I can second this. I mean it's really Stephen Kingish, but it's not technically Stephen King, even though it's his son and apparently they look identical.

It's a good horror yarn.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Also, what's everyone's take on Matthew Bartlett? I've tried getting into his stuff but I just find the writing style off-putting.

I liked his short story collection Gateways to Abomination. It's also pretty short, so if you don't like the guys writing that might be a bonus?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Nothing I've read from Powers (The Drawing of the Dark, Anubis Gates, On Stranger Tides, The Stress of Her Regard, Last Call) has come close to matching Declare in my opinion. Most of them are still good, though, and if you have some familiarity with the time periods they're set in the books will probably be a little more satisfying. I find myself going to wikipedia a lot to understand some of the historical characters. Also a lot of his books share similar themes.

I probably like Drawing of the Dark and On Stranger Tides the best out of those. I heartily recommend avoiding Three Days to Never at all costs.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Someone mentioned this short story in either this or the horror thread. Anyway I was curious and it looks like the author has it free on his website. I really enjoyed it. 400 Boys by Marc Laidlaw.

http://www.marclaidlaw.com/online-fiction/400-boys/

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

My troubles with The Terror are what's preventing me from reading Carrion Comfort. The synopsis seems right up my alley, but I've been burned before.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Are we calling Hyperion bad? Because I really enjoyed that one. Probably because it was kept to standard novel length. I've been avoiding the sequels though.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Drunken Baker posted:

Though let's not think about the Scarlet Gospels where the Labyrinth was retconned into being actual hell as in THE hell and Pinhead has a BragonBall Z fight with Satan. THE Satan.

I'm sure this is completely terrible but you've captured my attention.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I recommend the Great and Secret Show (but not the sequel) and definitely Weaveworld. I thought the Damnation Game was trash however.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

chernobyl kinsman posted:

lovecraft country is insanely bad and stupid

It sounds like an interesting premise, what didn't you like about it specifically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I'm not sure I agree with that. The books are somewhat self contained but they contain characters, threats, and concepts that show up a lot in the sequels. If I jumped right into one of the last two books I'd feel pretty confused. He usually does a quick recap of where the story is and how magic works, but it not be enough to bring you up to speed.

For the record I think the first four (Atrocity Archives, Jennifer Morgue, Fuller Memorandum, and Apocalypse Codex) are the best of the bunch, so try those. The next four I'm not especially keen on. They have brief flares of excellence but overall I'm not enamored and the next book in the series is going to have to sell me pretty hard to get me to buy it. I'd try the first couple, Drunken Baker. The first two are definitely more self contained. If they intrigue you get the next two.