Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
any good horror drop in the last few months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

MockingQuantum posted:

How is Swift To Chase overall? I'm most of the way through the second story and it hasn't hooked me at all yet. I think it's in large part because Jess Mace doesn't feel like a well-written character, so much as Barron feeling like he needed a through line and started writing in first person. She just seems like such a silly caricature so far.

i just finished it last week and it owns

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

I bought and have been going through The Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories and it's great. I'm sure this threads been over it a bunch by now but it's new to me and really cool.

Seconding this - bought this recently and there's so much great content. I'm just hopping around rather than reading the stories in chronological order.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

In cosmic horror news, Netflix has put up what is maybe the best Lovecraft adaptation: The Real Ghostbusters 1987 cartoon episode The Collect Call of Cthulhu. It's got a heroine called Alice Derleth, cult leader Clark Ashton, the ghostbusters, of course, and Cthulhu himself. The subtitlers weren't big Lovecraft fans, though. At one point, someone screams "A shoggoth!" and it's subtitled "Ashagath!"

Anyway, it's very cute in an 80s sort of way.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 10, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
was there a real ghostbusters episode where they turn a bunch of garbage trucks into giant traps in order to capture a horde of zombies in scotland or was that an extreme GB episode/a fever dream

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

chernobyl kinsman posted:

was there a real ghostbusters episode where they turn a bunch of garbage trucks into giant traps in order to capture a horde of zombies in scotland or was that an extreme GB episode/a fever dream

Yep! Ray inherited a scottish castle, and a bunch of ghosts needed catching.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Only ever watched that one Extreme GB episode that had Cenobites in it.

Would the original Hellbound Heart be considered a weird tale?(I think it's officially considered gothic?) Dealing with alternate planes of reality, similar enough to be recognisable, but only in an awful, awful way.

Though let's not think about the Scarlet Gospels where the Labyrinth was retconned into being actual hell as in THE hell and Pinhead has a BragonBall Z fight with Satan. THE Satan.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Drunken Baker posted:

Would the original Hellbound Heart be considered a weird tale?(I think it's officially considered gothic?) Dealing with alternate planes of reality, similar enough to be recognisable, but only in an awful, awful way.

I really think it could be if it was told differently, but (from memory--and it's donkeys' years since I read it) the emphasis in the writing is not really on 'the weird'. It aims more for suspense than any kind of existential unease, and doesn't really linger on quite how far-out the core concept actually is. That's how I remember it, at least.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Yeah, I've always had a hard time judging what kind of category books fit into because it comes down to things like writing style as well as subject matter.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i'm reading langan's the fisherman. it isn't good, which is a shame, because the Hudson Valley is a great setting to which I've a personal attachment and because at its best moments it hints at kind of sublime horror, but both of those things are attenuated by clunky prose, flat atmosphere, tired tropes and hacky wizard duels.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 11, 2017

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Reading Occultation by Laird Barron and I'm finding it very hit and miss. Gay tough guys story is the best so far. I really enjoyed Light in the Darkness though, so I'll persist.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Drunken Baker posted:

Though let's not think about the Scarlet Gospels where the Labyrinth was retconned into being actual hell as in THE hell and Pinhead has a BragonBall Z fight with Satan. THE Satan.

I'm sure this is completely terrible but you've captured my attention.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Rough Lobster posted:

Some people I know absolutely loved it, but I have no idea how or why. There's rumours abound that it was ghostwritten and it feels like it too. The prose in it feel vastly different to how Barker usually writes. (Though to be fair I've not read any of his fantasy stuff)

i'm reading langan's the fisherman. it isn't good, which is a shame, because the Hudson Valley is a great setting to which I've a personal attachment and because at its best moments it hints at kind of sublime horror, but both of those things are attenuated by clunky prose, flat atmosphere, tired tropes and hacky wizard duels.

I wanted to love that book so much, but gave up half way through when it was nothing but a stone mason's tale and his daughter who was a pasty chef. Then I picked it back up and the last quarter evokes so much great imagery that it made up for anything that came before it. I know saying "the last quarter is great" isn't exactly the best praise, but it did stick with me.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I really, really liked The Fisherman, but it is definitely a slow burn through the first half or so of the book.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Rough Lobster posted:

It is the worst thing. I can't imagine why someone would like it if they didn't already hate Barker and just want to see him slip out of relevance. If you're curious, just read the wikipedia plot summary, it's a good summary for understanding why The Scarlet Gospels is nothing at all like Hellraiser canon.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i don't mind slow burn, i actually really like slow burn horror. the issue is that it's just not good

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

i don't mind slow burn, i actually really like slow burn horror. the issue is that it's just not good

You're putting your spoiler-tags in some very strange places.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skyscraper posted:

It is the worst thing. I can't imagine why someone would like it if they didn't already hate Barker and just want to see him slip out of relevance. If you're curious, just read the wikipedia plot summary, it's a good summary for understanding why The Scarlet Gospels is nothing at all like Hellraiser canon.

Ironically the comic series from Boom that he helped write is a pretty good sequel that involves Pinheads origin and the need for Cenobites to exist in his cosmology

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Since we're on the subject, what is a good starting point for Clive Barker stuff? Literally the only thing I've encountered that he's been involved with was Undying, which I did enjoy. Hellbound Heart or Books of Blood seem to be the ones that come up the most.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MockingQuantum posted:

Since we're on the subject, what is a good starting point for Clive Barker stuff? Literally the only thing I've encountered that he's been involved with was Undying, which I did enjoy. Hellbound Heart or Books of Blood seem to be the ones that come up the most.

Those are the ones to start with

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Read Books of Blood and Hellbound Heart and stop.

I mean that's basically what Barker did when it came to putting effort into his books.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

On an unrelated note:

If you're a Laird Barron fan and you're on the fence about Swift to Chase, at least make it through "Termination Dust." It really starts to take shape in that story. Also this is a different take on format for Barron, sort of, as all the stories are connected in a sort of loose narrative and it takes a bit for that narrative to develop into something interesting.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Those are the ones to start with
They are also the ones to end with. If it's Barker and has more than 200 pages, it's poo poo.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Ironically the comic series from Boom that he helped write is a pretty good sequel that involves Pinheads origin and the need for Cenobites to exist in his cosmology

Oh, cool, I didn't know they had a new series, I was reading the Epic comics a while ago, and they were ok.

anilEhilated posted:

They are also the ones to end with. If it's Barker and has more than 200 pages, it's poo poo.

EDIT: I have a soft spot in my heart for The Great And Secret Show and The Damnation Game but I suspect they might be bad. If I had to articulate the plot to either, I really couldn't.

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 13, 2017

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

The garbage can.

Serious answer: Books of Blood for his short stories. For novels, I'd probably say Damnation Game but others might disagree.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Skyscraper posted:

EDIT: I have a soft spot in my heart for The Great And Secret Show and The Damnation Game but I suspect they might be bad. If I had to articulate the plot to either, I really couldn't.

They are bad, and I like them too. Don't feel bad.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I recommend the Great and Secret Show (but not the sequel) and definitely Weaveworld. I thought the Damnation Game was trash however.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rough Lobster posted:

I recommend the Great and Secret Show (but not the sequel) and definitely Weaveworld. I thought the Damnation Game was trash however.

Weaveworld is great, the Great and Secret Show was good. I wasn't so much a fan of Imajica. Books of Blood and Hellbound Heart I liked, but Damnation Game was poo poo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skyscraper posted:

Oh, cool, I didn't know they had a new series, I was reading the Epic comics a while ago, and they were ok.

It's not new anymore, it's been over for probably five years bare minimum but yeah

I also never finished it but the first three or so arcs are solid

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

I won't try to argue that it's "good", but I mostly enjoyed that book.

I would agree that Books of Blood is the best Barker has done.

Portable Staplefrog fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 2, 2017

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
one story in particular in Books of Blood, In the Hills, the Cities, makes me feel icky when I recall it even now.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

So I just finished The Cipher and... wow. Unlike pretty much anything I've read before. It's good. Go read it.

I feel like it's not a book you want to say too much about when recommending it to others.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MockingQuantum posted:

So I just finished The Cipher and... wow. Unlike pretty much anything I've read before. It's good. Go read it.

I feel like it's not a book you want to say too much about when recommending it to others.

By what author?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Phi230 posted:

By what author?

MockingQuantum posted:

it's not a book you want to say too much about
Come on man, spoilers.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Phi230 posted:

By what author?

Kathe Koja

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Heh sorry. It gets mentioned pretty frequently in here so I forgot to include the author.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The Cipher paperback is selling for over a hundred dollars on Amazon. Man, that sucks. Might have to borrow my ma's Kindle and check it out that way.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Drunken Baker posted:

The Cipher paperback is selling for over a hundred dollars on Amazon. Man, that sucks. Might have to borrow my ma's Kindle and check it out that way.

It is significantly less on ebook. A while back, I think it was crammed in with a Humblebundle.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Skyscraper posted:

It is significantly less on ebook. A while back, I think it was crammed in with a Humblebundle.

It goes on sale often too. I got the ebook for three bux I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Skyscraper posted:

Yes, three bux is significantly less than over a hundred.