Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

TheJoker138 posted:

Anyone who was a fan of any of those before they released was stupid. Sure, you might get something awesome like LOTR, but for every LOTR there's something that turns out like Batman & Robin. Being a fan of the franchise the movie is based on is fine, but being a fan of the movie itself before it releases is a dumb thing to do.

What are you talking about? Batman & Robin was the most Batman movie until Batman Begins came out. Schumacher actually read a Batman book (even if it was from the 50s) before he made a Batman movie, unlike Tim Burton who once heard Batman was a superhero who fought a bank robbing clown and went from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Batman and Robin, to this day, is one of the single worst movies I have ever had the displeasure of making it all the way through.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Lizard Combatant posted:

I've not seen this film, but I heard it's not actually about a skeletal tyrannosaurus and I lost interest. Amazing poster though.

Possibly, but couldn't they have found more than one tree to use?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

kiimo posted:

Batman and Robin, to this day, is one of the single worst movies I have ever had the displeasure of making it all the way through.

George Clooney will personally refund anyone who paid to see it in theatres.

Still waiting, Mr. Clooney.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

What are you talking about? Batman & Robin was the most Batman movie until Batman Begins came out. Schumacher actually read a Batman book (even if it was from the 50s) before he made a Batman movie, unlike Tim Burton who once heard Batman was a superhero who fought a bank robbing clown and went from there.

And yet Burton did it better. Just because something is like the source material doesn't mean it's good.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Possibly, but couldn't they have found more than one tree to use?

Huh... never noticed that, it is a little copypaste.
I still like it though, it doesn't detract from the rest of the poster.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Has this cartoonish mockery of a poster made it in the thread yet?

I really, really wish Lucas had the balls to abandon that CGI crap and move on to some live action. I'd of probably of gone to theaters to see this if he'd of filmed a few actual WW2 planes in flight. Honestly you could replace any of those CGI planes with X-Wing fighters and I wouldn't notice because it all looks the same anyway. Also this poster conveys to me that the black guys are just trying to escape the war.

"Oh poo poo there's some Nazis battling it out over there and our planes are on fire! Let's just walk away!"

Honestly, nothing about it makes me think heroic black men sacrificing it all to get some goddamn recognition. I was willing to defend the mediocre Hunger Games poster because it's at least limited in what it can do. But this is a film about real life heroes who were handed poo poo planes and told to basically go die so white people could live. Give them some credit in this poster damnit!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Really?! The entire cast is on the poster.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Lucas and this film will likely suck, but the poster isn't that bad.
From it I totally get that it's WWII and about the unsung hero black pilots.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Liar posted:

It was in the last thread, think the consensus was it is a great poster for a video game, okay poster for a movie, and worst tagline of a real movie this year.

Just screams calculated and formulaic.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
The little running figures in the background of that poster are just awful.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Looks like somebody is a victim of misleading marketing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Liar posted:

The poster makes me want to shout "look out guys, there are planes that are about to crash into you". I blame this on the Hollywood trope of having people walk away in slow motion while something blows up behind them.

lenin
Sep 11, 2001

dear leader
The poster would work better if there was some sort of visual separation between the actors posing and the action, like a fade effect or a cloud or something-- but having the smoke and burning runways on the same visual level as the actors makes it look like they're in the same scene which makes it so ridiculous.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Liar posted:

I really, really wish Lucas had the balls to abandon that CGI crap and move on to some live action.

The film would have probably cost $250 million that way. Lucas may technically have that money but I doubt he has all of it as liquid assets at this very moment.

And I like the colorfulness of it. Real life is not washed out even if there's a war on.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Maxwell Lord posted:

The film would have probably cost $250 million that way. Lucas may technically have that money but I doubt he has all of it as liquid assets at this very moment.

He probably does. Lucas is a billionaire several times over, and is in the top 100 of richest people in america.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

fenix down posted:

Why the gently caress is Unforgiven lumped in there. Doesn't it pre-date all the rest by at least a decade?

I'm touchy because it's close to my favorite poster of all time, for one of my favorite movies of all time. It seems like lumping an image of Led Zeppelin or Queen in the middle of a montage of shameless 90s beat sampling.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

Why the gently caress is Unforgiven lumped in there. Doesn't it pre-date all the rest by at least a decade?

I'm touchy because it's close to my favorite poster of all time, for one of my favorite movies of all time. It seems like lumping an image of Led Zeppelin or Queen in the middle of a montage of shameless 90s beat sampling.

It's likely the trendsetter for this technique and, like an old trope that has been used far too often and for far too long, still needs to be recognized. It's differs from Eastwood's previous posters: he's not jamming a .44 Magnum into your face, daring you on as Dirty Harry, or howling like a madman, emptying his revolvers as the Outlaw Josey Wales. The turned-back, away from the camera, gives a somber introspectiveness, giving a seriousness to his cowboy killer.

It's the same thing that all those other posters or video-game covers try to ape, that message that "this isn't like all those other movies or games, this one is serious". It's a literal example of pretension.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I didn't even see Unforgiven and thought it was True Grit... gently caress.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Liar posted:

I really, really wish Lucas had the balls to abandon that CGI crap and move on to some live action. I'd of probably of gone to theaters to see this if he'd of filmed a few actual WW2 planes in flight. Honestly you could replace any of those CGI planes with X-Wing fighters and I wouldn't notice because it all looks the same anyway. Also this poster conveys to me that the black guys are just trying to escape the war.

"Oh poo poo there's some Nazis battling it out over there and our planes are on fire! Let's just walk away!"

Honestly, nothing about it makes me think heroic black men sacrificing it all to get some goddamn recognition. I was willing to defend the mediocre Hunger Games poster because it's at least limited in what it can do. But this is a film about real life heroes who were handed poo poo planes and told to basically go die so white people could live. Give them some credit in this poster damnit!

This was the original poster:

It fits the intended tone of the film perfectly, is iconic, and would have gotten me way more excited for the film that the dreck in your post.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vikings: also too cool to look at burning stuff behind them. Also, Dominic Purcell looks weird with that hair; maybe because I'm more used to seeing him with less.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Maarak posted:

It fits the intended tone of the film perfectly, is iconic, and would have gotten me way more excited for the film that the dreck in your post.

Agreed, though I'm not as down on the other poster as you. Both are supposed to show that the films are pulpy and fun - the same deal with the dubstep TV spot. I just wish the film sounded like it achieved that better so I'd actually be interested in seeing it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Maarak posted:

Now THAT is a poster that makes me want to see the movie. Hell, I may actually go to see it now based on that alone.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Now THAT is a poster that makes me want to see the movie. Hell, I may actually go to see it now based on that alone.

Whoah, it's still George Lucas. At least wait for a review from someone you trust.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Lizard Combatant posted:

Whoah, it's still George Lucas. At least wait for a review from someone you trust.

According to this it solved racism forever, so it must be good! :downs:

(In all seriousness, I wasn't going to watch it anyway. The whole thing just seems... wrong, somehow. Movies capitalizing on history and suffering always seem to leave a bad taste in my mouth, with few exceptions.)

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Movies capitalizing on history and suffering always seem to leave a bad taste in my mouth, with few exceptions.

Wait, what? History, as in the past ~10,000 years of human existence? Do you only watch modern-day comedies or something? You're going to have to explain this further because if not you have disturbingly narrow-minded taste in movies.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Maarak posted:

The best part is it's drawn by Joe Kubert. He's one of the greatest living comic book artists who's been working since the 40's, co-created Sgt. Rock, runs a comic art school, and even continues to draw a safety magazine/comic book for the military. That guy is awesome.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Lizard Combatant posted:

I saw it last Friday, and it's kind of an uneven mess. There are definite strong points, but it feels like the theatrical cut is significantly removed from what they original intended to do. I can't quite recommend it, but it was a very interesting watch.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Maarak posted:

I saw it last Friday, and it's kind of an uneven mess. There are definite strong points, but it feels like the theatrical cut is significantly removed from what they original intended to do. I can't quite recommend it, but it was a very interesting watch.

Worth a $4.25 matinee or should I just see Tintin again?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The MSJ posted:

Vikings: also too cool to look at burning stuff behind them. Also, Dominic Purcell looks weird with that hair; maybe because I'm more used to seeing him with less.

Hmmm, Vikingdumb. Yep, that about describes it.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

The MSJ posted:

"Jon Foo" is an actor of Irish-Chinese descent. In a viking movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cacator posted:

"Jon Foo" is an actor of Irish-Chinese descent. In a viking movie.

Those Chinese got around, man.

There's a Conan at least.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Maarak posted:

While this is an amazing poster (something I would hang up on my wall even) I am not sure if it goes with the film. That poster makes it look like balls to the wall war pulp action, while the movie itself seems like a muddled up Remember the Titans during World War II. I think a movie based on the Tuskagee Airmen is a worthy topic but I just don't trust a George Lucas movie to deliver on a movie about the Tuskagee Airmen.
Honestly, seeing that poster makes me think that Red Tails is closer to Inglorious Basterds than anything else.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

The MSJ posted:

When I think 'great movies', I think 'Marriot'.

Madkal posted:

Honestly, seeing that poster makes me think that Red Tails is closer to Inglorious Basterds than anything else.

A blaxploitation 'Red Tails' directed by Quentin Tarantino would be great.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 25, 2012

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Worth a $4.25 matinee or should I just see Tintin again?

Sure, plus you can feel good knowing that paying to see it in theaters might help push back the awful institutional racism of Hollywood.

Madkal posted:

While this is an amazing poster (something I would hang up on my wall even) I am not sure if it goes with the film. That poster makes it look like balls to the wall war pulp action, while the movie itself seems like a muddled up Remember the Titans during World War II. I think a movie based on the Tuskagee Airmen is a worthy topic but I just don't trust a George Lucas movie to deliver on a movie about the Tuskagee Airmen.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

A blaxploitation 'Red Tails' directed by Quentin Tarantino would great.

There are a number of times in the film that it felt like an extension of Basterds, and I kept wishing that they would push that more and more. Whenever the pilots are in combat with the Germans, it's like they're finally able to express their anger at a lifetime of oppression on targets who are explicitly white and racist. That these are also scenes of joy (justifiably so in that they're being treated with enough respect to run combat missions) makes the violence start to approach the troubling nature of what went on in Tarantino's film.

There are also similarities to Starship Troopers at times, as both take structural elements from the earliest WWII movies that were being made during the war itself. Trying to achieve that pulpy, propaganda movie tone works at cross purposes though, since it's also trying to stick closely to history so that the real life bravery and achievements of the Tuskegee Airmen don't get muddled in a narrative that people could misread as something totally ahistorical.

It's my theory that there was a more tonally consistent cut of the movie that was chopped up into something perceived as more marketable, but until another cut comes out, or there's an extensive making of documentary, I don't think we'll ever know.

Maarak fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 25, 2012

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Maarak posted:

Sure, plus you can feel good knowing that paying to see it in theaters might help push back the awful institutional racism of Hollywood.

On the down side, it could encourage George Lucas to make more movies. It's like AVP again, no matter who wins, we lose.

E: I just realized that tag line makes no sense for the movie it was in, as the Predators were obviously the good guys.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

TheJoker138 posted:

On the down side, it could encourage George Lucas to make more movies. It's like AVP again, no matter who wins, we lose.

Can we quit it with this? Lucas had involvement in this film yes, but that's not an evil thing. Yes, he made some lame Star Wars movies. Get over it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Can we quit it with this? Lucas had involvement in this film yes, but that's not an evil thing. Yes, he made some lame Star Wars movies. Get over it.

I live in the dream world where this is at least a close-to probatable offense.

Here is Star Wars: several really solid, fan-worthy films, followed by several very disappointing films. Done. End. Let's just... agree to that and move on.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

No. Because I saw Howard the Duck in the theater and for that he must burn in hellfire for eternity.

Demp
Nov 5, 2003

GLORIOUS

This is the one we have hanging up in the theater I work at's poster box. I like it better than the other theatrical poster.

Crackbone posted:

You mean the one with exposed nipples? Where do you live where they've got that poster hanging up?

We got this one in, but covering Rooney's nipples is a black and yellow sticker that says "THIS FILM IS NOT YET RATED" except it's only on one side. The other side is straight up full frontal. I should really take that home one day because lord knows it's never gonna be used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Demp posted:

This is the one we have hanging up in the theater I work at's poster box. I like it better than the other theatrical poster.

We got this one in, but covering Rooney's nipples is a black and yellow sticker that says "THIS FILM IS NOT YET RATED" except it's only on one side. The other side is straight up full frontal. I should really take that home one day because lord knows it's never gonna be used.

Give it a good home.