Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Someone who actually has visual sense can tell me why I'm right/wrong, but this poster has always been a favorite, possibly just out of nostalgia:

(Hey it's our old friends blue 'n orange again!)

The way they're posed to form the M is clever, the drawing quality is nice, and the salute and thumbs up signify their readiness to the viewer to go on an adventure (which a good chunk of posters do, but here I think it also ties in nicely to the video game roots, where the players would be in command of the heroes.) Probably not an award winning design, but it's rather iconic and memorable since it's basically a logo. Actually, it's rather similar to the Jurassic Park poster in that regard, with both being a logo on a dark background, though JP has the title right in the logo.

Come to think of it, it's probably more similar to the Batman poster, as both trade on the pre-established iconography of their respective franchises.

I know penismightier has talked about the JP logo before much better than I could, so I'll leave that to him or someone else.

EDIT: I just noticed and thought it significant that the Batman poster cuts off the left and right edges of the Batman logo rather than having the whole thing properly within the edges of the poster. Nice way to make the movie seem like a huge event. It can't be contained!

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mousku
Jun 2, 2011

Mister Chief posted:

Is the Owen Wilson on the left?

Not even close although the mental image of Owen Wilson playing a British hooligan may be the reason it gets rented.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

NINbuntu 64 posted:

I'm having a really hard time reading his expression.

It's "Jesus, this light in my eyes is really bright."

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

mousku posted:

So I work in a DVD rental shop and Cass has absolutely one of the worst covers there. The people renting this must have googled the movie beforehand because I refuse to believe anyone would rent this based on the cover only.

Cass, no!! The leading angry mobs thing has got to stop!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Discount Viscount posted:

Someone who actually has visual sense can tell me why I'm right/wrong, but this poster has always been a favorite, possibly just out of nostalgia:

(Hey it's our old friends blue 'n orange again!)

It seems people from Spain got the lovely one:

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Desperado Bones posted:

It seems people from Spain got the lovely one:

Everything about Luigi looks just awful... It's like you caught him on the toilet with the face he's making.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Xandu posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the first movie he's done in a couple of years that will actually be shown in a theater.

He's like the black Brendan Frasier. Both aren't exactly awful, horrible actors, but man they choose some lovely roles.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

mousku posted:

So I work in a DVD rental shop and Cass has absolutely one of the worst covers there. The people renting this must have googled the movie beforehand because I refuse to believe anyone would rent this based on the cover only.

I want to see it now based on that cover. WRAAAAAAAGH!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Discount Viscount posted:

EDIT: I just noticed and thought it significant that the Batman poster cuts off the left and right edges of the Batman logo rather than having the whole thing properly within the edges of the poster. Nice way to make the movie seem like a huge event. It can't be contained!

It also mimics how the icon looks when it's on Batman's chest: the cape usually cuts off the left/right side. In the comics, at least.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Max22 posted:

Now that's loving LAZY. What, was Chris Pine busy that day for the shoot?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's with the lighting though? Note the highlights on the gun and buttons on the sleeve. Did they make two shots of some guy in a suit light from two directions specifically to be later used like this? Or did someone go over every shiny object and drew in different specular highlights? :psyduck:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Max22 posted:

Is it just me or is Tom Hardy looking up instead of straight forward?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

mobby_6kl posted:

What's with the lighting though? Note the highlights on the gun and buttons on the sleeve. Did they make two shots of some guy in a suit light from two directions specifically to be later used like this? Or did someone go over every shiny object and drew in different specular highlights? :psyduck:

If I had to guess, the did one shot of a guy in a suit, and then just played around with it in PS until it looked slightly different, then mirrored it, and dropped in the shots of the male stars who wore different button up shirts so that the neckline didn't look weird. That way none of the 3 actors had to be there on the same day, or even the same location. I'd bet that we'll see the faces from this poster used in others soon enough.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Max22 posted:

Lazy photoshopping besides, I think that's actually a pretty decent poster. Somebody can look at it with no prior knowledge of the film and figure out that it's about two spies who fight over Reese Witherspoon. It's not great, but it gets the job done.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's Reese Witherspoon? Wow. :D

Everytime I see that poster though I think of the rumour that Spy vs Spy from MAD was going to be made into a movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Vintersorg posted:

Everytime I see that poster though I think of the rumour that Spy vs Spy from MAD was going to be made into a movie.

I swear the UK trailer I saw said "Spy versus spy". Either I'm misremembering or it was probably changed for legal reasons.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Was looking to see if The Hunt for Red October had 5.1 sound, I have the old DVD:

Here's the new cover:

Blugh, it looks like a direct-to-DVD movie now

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Black Lighter posted:

Lazy photoshopping besides, I think that's actually a pretty decent poster. Somebody can look at it with no prior knowledge of the film and figure out that it's about two spies who fight over Reese Witherspoon. It's not great, but it gets the job done.

Thats not Cameron Diaz?

EDIT: Woah, its not.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Carthag posted:

Danish movie posters

All Danish comedies from the late 70s had those posters.

Which just made me appreciate the fact, that when Danish comedian Anders Matthesen released his movie, Sorte Kugler (Lit: Black Balls), a couple of years ago, the poster was done in the same style:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Xenophon posted:

Was looking to see if The Hunt for Red October had 5.1 sound, I have the old DVD:

Here's the new cover:

Alec Baldwin looks like the guy from Angel and Bones in that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HoldYourFire posted:

I swear the UK trailer I saw said "Spy versus spy". Either I'm misremembering or it was probably changed for legal reasons.

Canade here, and I remember the trailer saying "Spy versus spy" too but it was like a tagline, not the name of the film.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Max22 posted:

I'm more distracted by Chris Pine's giant head. Yikes. Real life Mastermind.

Also that looks nothing like Reese Witherspoon even though it's her.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Alec Baldwin looks like the guy from Angel and Bones in that.

I like how he wasn't a good enough actor to earn a spot on the first poster back in the 80's.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!

The MSJ posted:

Pretty much every Woman in Black poster as of now looks great, the movie better be good.

Edit: Here's a few more:

There's also this one that is in IMDB, can't be print-screened or Copy-Pasted, so I gotta link it (sorry):

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3213015040/tt1596365

SGRaaize fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 26, 2012

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
This poster for The Woman in Black is one of my favorite posters in a long while. If the movie is any good, I might just have to buy one for my wall.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Yup

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

^^^^^edit: WTF literally seconds. Fuuuuu

Woman In Black got a good review today in Variety.

To contribute, I like Elizabeth Banks but I abhor Jennifer Lopez and Cameron Diaz and this tagline make me physically ill.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

This poster for The Woman in Black is one of my favorite posters in a long while. If the movie is any good, I might just have to buy one for my wall.

I want ten! :swoon:
Why didn't they put this one in my movie theater?

quote:

Pretty much every Woman in Black poster as of now looks great, the movie better be good.

I'm so sorry:

But then we have this:

Edit: Just read the taglines for the pregnant posters.. What the gently caress?!:gonk:

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 26, 2012

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Xenophon posted:

Here's the new cover:

What. The. gently caress?

An instantly recognisable, arguably iconic poster, and they replace it with that?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I don't see what's good about this poster. It looks like a bad Photoshop job, granted, it's not the usual bad Photoshop job, but it's still bad. Filter upon filter with no sense of layout.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I love the idea behind that poster, and parts of it look really cool (I love the hand), but Daniel Radcliffe himself and the title font look pretty wonky.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Yup

"Dont worry, dudes, you can see it."

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

HoldYourFire posted:

I got confused on what the title was from the trailer as it kept having words come up and I was unsure which was the title.

So what do you do if you design a poster then decide it needs some blood on it but your photoshopper has gone home? Open MS Paint.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Yup

It's getting old to say stuff like this, but what hosed up idiot saw a photo of Elizabeth Banks and said "let's make that hag into a BEAUTY QUEEN! Filters > Melt face"

Aside from that, I get the idea of making character posters since it has a lot of big names, but none of the quotes are either funny or tell you anything about the character.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 26, 2012

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't see what's good about this poster. It looks like a bad Photoshop job, granted, it's not the usual bad Photoshop job, but it's still bad. Filter upon filter with no sense of layout.

It looks like Radcliffe is walking past a mural or something.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

davidspackage posted:

It's getting old to say stuff like this, but what hosed up idiot saw a photo of Elizabeth Banks and said "let's make that hag into a BEAUTY QUEEN! Filters > Melt face"

Aside from that, I get the idea of making character posters since it has a lot of big names, but none of the quotes are either funny or tell you anything about the character.

I want to be clear here, are you saying Elizabeth Banks looks like a hag or is that 1st person?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

I like it because it looks like Corman's House of Usher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

fenix down posted:

I like it because it looks like Corman's House of Usher.

It reminds me of the poster for House on Haunted Hill, too.