Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
So "Snow White and the Huntsman" comes out this weekend, but aren't there a couple of smaller releases, too?

The compositing makes the head look chunky.

Oh, it came out in some places already. Let's see what Australia's poster looks like.

Well that's even worse. Isn't there something else coming out this weekend?

No way. Easily one of the worst posters I've ever seen. They didn't even bother to crop anything properly (you can see where someone used the erase tool on every one of those kids since they have pixelated white haloing on all of them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Here's a teaser poster for the first live-action movie from Zemeckis in twelve years.

I like it, even though that image has been done before.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Hey. Hey! HEY!! You remember "Inception"? Our movie is totally like "Inception"! "Inception"! Remember "Inception"? This is the new "Inception"! "INCEPTION"!

Uh, the printer hosed up again. Ah, hell, let's just send it out like this.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Noxville posted:

I don't really get 'Inception' from that poster but it does make me interested in it because I don't know what the gently caress is supposed to be going on there.
Blue-gray cloudy skies, distorted viewpoint, and the title in big red text were what went into the "Inception" posters:

I also think they were trying to go a bit for the look of this poster, too:

The trailer makes it look like "They Live" got a bigger budget, and it has some visuals that would seem at home in the third act of "Paprika." The movie doesn't look bad, but it's just that you'd think a smaller production outfit (Roadside Attractions) would try to make a more interesting poster.

EDIT: gently caress, beaten on the "They Live" connection.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 14, 2012

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

More than likely, she has a lovely agent. I mean come on, almost a fifth of her movies are Twilight :smith:
To be fair, the first one came out a year before "Up in the Air", and I'd assume that like most actors in that series, she was contracted to appear in all of them. Plus, she's probably gotten a shitload of money out of it, given how much the budget for those movies inflated over time, plus the residuals these movies will get once they play on TV a billion times.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

So during halftime at yesterday's football match I had the unpleasant misfortune of seeing a tv ad for Sandler's latest movie and noticed that they actually used tweets as review blurbs.

Next we'll posters that allow for realtime display of tweets mentioning the movie.

Last week I saw a New York Times ad for "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" that used tweets instead of reviews. Frankly, I'm amazed this isn't something that's caught on, especially for movies dependent on word of mouth.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Probably been answered, but what in the hell does IN DE BIOSCOOP mean?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
So... this just popped up on IMPAwards. Didn't know it was already in production.

Just... stop. Please.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Bad photoshop time again!

I think that's David Duchovny on the left. Why is he leaning awkwardly? Why is his hand locked up? Did they erase a cane from his hand?

Also, the large version of this poster is terrifying, especially with the cast portraits:

Starring David Duchovny in "Half-Life 2"!

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

BARONS DEF CHARGER posted:

THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER.
Actually, it's the second best.

Also I just looked up "Up the Sandbox to see what in hell it was about.

Wikipedia posted:

[...]focuses on Margaret Reynolds, a young New York City wife and mother who, neglected by her husband and bored with her daily existence, slips into increasingly bizarre fantasies that involve, among other things, armed robbery, tribal fertility music, and a terrorist plot to blow up the Statue of Liberty.
My question has been answered with more questions.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

I can't think of a much lamer tagline.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
FYI, that's a fan poster.

Here's Comic-Con posters for "The Hobbit" and "Pacific Rim":

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
The 48fps thing just seems like it should have been used on a much smaller film as an experiment, not just used right out of the gate on a $300+ million franchise. I'm very surprised Warner hasn't done something like what "Avatar" and "TRON Legacy" did; showing 15 minutes of footage for free in theaters to gauge audience interest and see what the response to the 48fps element is. Hell, Christopher Nolan decided to change the sound mix of "The Dark Knight Rises" as far as Bane is concerned because people commented about how difficult he was to understand in the prologue.

Dillbag posted:

Content: gently caress YEAH (huge)

Produced by Jack Abramoff. Yes, the Jack Abramoff. And it was made during apartheid in South Africa, so he used blacks as basically free labor. What a dick.

EDIT: Idris Elba. He's been in a couple of major movies like "Thor" and "Prometheus", but he's most known for having a major role on "The Wire", and he's loving amazing in it.
v v v

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 9, 2012

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

HoldYourFire posted:

It takes major bottle to defeat a supernatural being.

Now look what you made me do!

:effort:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

That's a bad poster, alright, but it's not the main event here. Today's the day you lucky people get to see what Robert De Niro and Robin Williams' faces look like when they come.

Oh, I'm not done yet. IMP Awards has a much bigger version of this poster up. Witness the horror!

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Ah, James Bond posters. Here's some good ones:

And two really bad ones:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
I kinda only scratched the surface with that post. There's a super-high-end poster site called Cinemasterpieces with a whole section of Bond posters most of them hi-res, and of course IMP Awards.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
OK, why is there a giant man to the left of that group of people? What is that lump in front of the woman on the right? :psyduck:

bowser posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I just went to a theater at Times Square yesterday, and the sides of the escalators literally have banners for this movie plastered onto them. This looks like one of those 'movie within a movie' gags that's used to make fun of generic kids movies.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
I wonder if it'll have voice recognition and say things like "DOUBLE WHAMMY." or "ARMOR PIERCING." the way it did in the Stallone movie.

"Dredd" actually has something pretty awesome I'm surprised I haven't seen done before. A clip online showed that some of the 3D effects would 'spill' into the letterboxing of the image. You can see a clip that does that :nws:here:nms:.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Chick flicks and Japanese commercials are the quickest, easiest way to buy a new gold plated yacht.
It's not just for frivolous stuff like "I want a Lamborghini, no, FIVE of them!", I've actually had a director say to me about helming a kinda-bad movie, "The truth is, I took the job because it paid my mortgage."

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
That long-shelved "Red Dawn" remake has a poster (and a distributor other than MGM strangely enough):

What a generic poster. Wonder what the original movie had as its poster?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Speaking of which, I saw an Atlas Shrugged II teaser that played in between previews, without the MPAA title card. I have never seen that before in my life.

Same here. Also, whenever there's text on the screen, it drops to about 12 frames per second and looks like a Flash website ad circa 2003. I laughed very, very hard when I realized what the preview was for, and that a movie coming out in two months is using a trailer that doesn't feature a second of footage from the movie itself within it.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Say you're a studio. You've got a big fall movie, big names, some Oscar potential, and a director with two solid productions under his belt. You've got to come up with a poster that'll put butts into seats.

:effort:

Try harder next time.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
'FROM THE STUDIO THAT BROUGHT YOU […]" is a dumb enough tagline, but try this for size:

Let's get a closer look at the cast:

Also, is there a way to kill that loving phrase?

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 25, 2012

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Please go away, Billy Crystal. You've outlived your usefulness.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

So Michael Bay is making a non-action movie about a pair of criminal body builders, and the poster is... actually not bad.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

It's in Dolby Digital?! gently caress yeah, I'm buyin' it!

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Parker Posey in Group Inou's newest music video.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Coming this January to the Best Buy $3.99 DVD bargain bin.

The most generic action poster in the world, even if it does have Tom Cruise with a big head.

A semi-decent poster that would work a lot better if the title of the movie were on it in some capacity (it's the remake of "Carrie").

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

MrBling posted:

Wait, who is Jack Reacher?
A character from a series of mystery novels by Lee Child, written as a bulky, sardonic ex-military guy. The movie is adapted from "One Shot", which is actually the ninth Reacher book. I've only read that book so far, and it was a fun, quick read.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Speaking of "The Hangover", I suspect there was recently a pitch meeting that went "We've got a generic kids movie set on Halloween. How do we market it?"

Here's a huge version of the center of the poster. It looks like everyone is sitting in front of a rear projection screen.

Here's the original "The Hangover" poster for reference. It uses the same loving tagline.

Oh, and here's the poster that'll be handed out to patrons at the IMAX midnight screenings for "Skyfall":

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 21, 2012

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Speaking of awesome posters...

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
On that subject, here's an awesome "Frankenstein" poster from its original release in 1931:

And a view of how it could have been just a little bit of a different movie.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Y'know, Paramount has had a rough year. What with the distribution rights for Marvel Studios going to Disney, Dreamworks' distribution going with 20th Century Fox, and their biggest picture of 2013 is a massively troubled, delayed production that's gone wildly overbudget.

So, how do you grab people's attention to a movie that could make or break your fiscal year?

There isn't an :effort: emoticon big enough for this.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Although I'm not big on 3D conversions, it's nice to see that people want to see movies readily available on video on the big screen.

Pretty good new "Zero Dark Thirty" poster.

What's funny is the layout made me immediately think of this poster:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Attack of the Plastic People!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Danny Elfman is doing the music for the film, so we may still get that.
This is actually kind of a shock to me. Elfman and Raimi had a pretty ugly falling out during "Spider-Man 3".

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Horner's method is to remake either the Braveheart score, the Aliens score or the Apocalypto/Avatar score over and over again.
I think the most glaring reuse for me was that the chorus in "Glory" and the chorus in "Avatar" are completely identical. Even back in the 80s Horner would reuse cues. There's a few bits of "Wrath of Khan" in the "Aliens" score. He did do one pretty good score not many people bring up; "Brainstorm".

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

I like the original poster too, even if it really gives you no idea of what the movie is going to be.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Probably a lot cheaper to use just the censored version of the song for both than license the censored one for the green-band trailer, and the uncensored one for the red-band trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Speaking of "Star Trek IV", I think it was in the last thread that someone whipped out this gem:

"Star Trek III" didn't do very well in Europe, so someone's bright idea was to market the next one as "The Voyage Home: Star Trek IV"