Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BonoMan posted:

I dont know! I have no interest in the movie at all so I can't answer any of that lol.

I don't know if anyone does. It's totally baffling. I don't know a single person excited for it. Wait let me check with the girl I know who's most into Disney poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The MSJ posted:

The movie apparently paints her as a young nobody in the fashion business who got disrespected by the fashion boomers.

So where does "slaughtering puppies to make a coat" come in? Is the fashion boomer a talking dog?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gripweed posted:

It's not 101 Dalmatians from Cruella's point of view, it's a prequel. There will probably be some cheeky references to her not caring about dogs or something, but she's not going to try to kill 101 dalmatians in this movie

They weren't her first rodeo, she had an entire closet full of it. There may have been a song. It's her one character trait and the point of a prequel of this nature should be a "how did she get there from here?" thing, so if it's never brought up it's still a massive failure and just didn't need to be the character who's only thing is killing cute baby animals.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Vince, I think your mind has inserted this scene from the Simpsons parody of 101 Dalmatians into your memory of the actual 101 Dalmatians movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyWVaZsUQjc

You're almost certainly right. But I feel like this is kind of her entire place in pop culture in 2021, though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Wasn't Maleficent's singular character trait (ahead of her two movies) putting a teenager in a coma

Yeah but those movies changed it so that was all just a big misunderstanding and she was really good all along. Which from my understanding, cruella is not doing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Nightcrawler is one of the best movies ever, and that dude is the worst of all time. But I could watch 20 movies of Bloom being a slimey piece of poo poo lmao

Cruella ain’t gonna come anywhere near nightcrawler tho.

The point of Nightcrawler is he's supposed to be a horrible monster though. It's a psychological horror movie in a lot of ways. They aren't selling lunchboxes and little kids camera toys with his face.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The fParks Brothers.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mask off, hard pass.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Right now there is an insanely popular and hard to collect toy line out there that has caused distress to target employees during this pandemic so GI Joe has some kind of relevance.

As someone who worked at toys r us for years back in the day this is always the situation. It's not cause GI Joe or Transformers or whatever thing is popular in the wider culture, it's because they don't make many and smelly action figure nerds are the most aggressive, pushy assholes you run into in that job other than upper class suburban women. Both groups seem to think stores are just not in the business of selling things and keep all our stock in "the back" for some reason and will flip out on you when you say you don't have any there and the places making this stuff don't give you any information on when shipments are coming.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

cvnvcnv posted:

Reason being that if they as customers know the scarcity of a particular sku and thus exists a reasonable expectation the resell value is desirable to those looking to make money, then so exists a reasonable expectation that retail workers who don't make as much money as they like and have access to said product would also know and be incentivized to withhold as many units from the public as possible. Consider the anecdotal nature of yourself ostensibly not engaging in said behavior in your one location vs what they, some of them professional shoppers, are experiencing as they encounter many workers in many stores and locations and not infrequently not being able to purchase something which if not housed in that building, though it almost certainly is, then is mistakenly somehow marked as being in stock in which case the customer cannot be blamed for believing it is. They can likely recite in excruciating detail the last many instances in which "the back" is a real place with a real door that is fully functional and can be demonstrably proven to be used for scalping. At this point it may be an issue of honor among thieves, to speak casually if inaccurately, in a number of cases but in all others it is customers who are simply earnestly and eagerly trying to not get screwed as they have been many times before.

You're not wrong in the least about the conduct and attitude of many customers who don't shy away from confrontation about stock, especially today since anyone with a smart phone can very quickly get incredibly accurate stock counts at various large retailers which sell collectibles. No "but" about it. The other side of the coin, though, can be easily defended so long as the customer isn't ugly; they can and should push because statistically most customers will be collectors and of course they should give themselves every opportunity to beat the scalpers.

The stuff the employees bought wasn't in "the back." It was in their lockers or bags or cars. That poo poo got snagged up the second it was off the truck and no one was reselling in the store. You cannot beat the scalpers that work there.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've always loved that Death Ship poster. Your grandpa was great.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Great poster. Movie sucks rear end.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BonoMan posted:

No it's pretty good actually

That part where Colin Farrell blows a dudes head clean off at point blank range with a shotgun is great. The rest of the movie is 2 and a half hours of him and Foxx standing on boats looking at the ocean while nothing happens.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

I'm beginning to think you haven't seen it.

I saw it in theaters opening day with friends and had to apologise to the friends I talked into going with me because they were all very angry at the boring, bad movie I made them go to. I know rotten tomatoes isn't the end all be all, but it's sitting at 46/43 there, so I'm not in the minority about this either.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

You're all confused about the names cause you're racist against Italians. Mama Mia!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The worst problem with baby driver is none of the music felt like it fit. It all seemed like he picked it from a library after the movie was made instead of planning and shooting the movie around it. Which, if I'm remembering right, is exactly what happened.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only part I liked was when Hocus Pocus started, but then it still didn't feel like it matched with what was happening. It's mind blowing to find out the extent they went through to make stuff fit with the editing and it doesn't show at all. Fuckin suicide squad felt more cut to it's music than it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

stratdax posted:

Every single action and sound onscreen matches the beat at melody of the song. Him running up the stairs, lightposts going by the camera, gunshots, all the edits themselves, etc. You guys are nuts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v6NDhHlf0A

The scene doesn't get more intense during the intense parts, slower during the slower parts, nothing big or important happens at the solos, etc. It's timed to the song perfectly on a technical level and it doesn't make it feel like that song fits there or needs to be that song or anything at all. Like yeah, his footfalls are on beat. Great. That doesn't do anything for me on any emotional level, It's not memorable, and was a big waste of time to do.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is...is the cat a fascist?

All cats are.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The MSJ posted:

This is one of those cases that timecops handle but the Van Damme movie does not cover.

Timecop SVU is a hell of a pitch for a sequel.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I assume Stoltz plays the child murderer she wrote all those "my panties are so wet thinking about how you killed those children" letters to.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

Wasn't the Unfriended sequel about that?

Yeah and it loving sucked. Like the first one wasn't a Stone Cold classic or anything but it at least had some goofy ghost poo poo. The second was just a boring, stupid slog written by someone who has clearly never used the internet.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is this really a question?

Yeah this is the right answer. One of these days I'm gonna get a nice framed version of this.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My reaction is the same as the title :smug:

Not really.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If you told me those two people were not only the same age, but also the same person in different outfits, I'd probably believe you due to the massive amount of airbrushing going on with their faces.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Wait is Ezra Miller hot??

He's weird hot, like Adam Driver. Like he looks kinda like a hosed up weirdo but one you wanna gently caress. This is the best kind of hot and I'm glad it's catching on.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dune is absolutely going to make like $200 total at the box office, if the Delta variant even allows it in theaters, but that's got nothing to do with the cast. It's because it's DUNE, the most influential sci fi book that no one has ever read.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

John Carter was a pretty good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean a movies quality and it’s box office success realistically have very little to do with each other

Oh yeah absolutely. I think Dune will probably be good to great, but I don't think that's gonna matter. My dad is gonna LOVE it. He's the only person I know in real life who has ever read any of the books.