Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The two posters are interesting in how different they are. One poster makes me think it's a movie about two friends who do everything together and go to far away places and are BFF's. The second poster makes me think the LOL is short for Lolita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Vagabundo posted:

A bunch of new The Dark Knight Rises posters are out.

Her mask is lacking eyes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

QuoProQuid posted:

Well, you can get a quick look at the film because the trailer was just released yesterday. I love art deco and am liking the look of the film, but the preview is somehow off-putting. I'll probably see it but I won't keep my hopes up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OULhlaX6JY4

That was dissappointing. I love the Great Gastby but the movie (judging by the trailer) seems to be all falsh with little substance. I know that it is Lurmann's style and all but it just feels like a retreading of Moulin Rouge with the plot of Gatsby thrown in there for some reason.
The movie might be good but the trailer doesn't fill me up with any hope. One of the other big problems from what was shown in the trailer is that the Great Gatsby is about the personal. It is narrated by a character that talks about his experiences and what he witnesses. From the look of the trailer it seems that Lurhmann is more interested in the wider picture, so that it looks like the Nick (the narrator) is just another supporting character who doesn't have to be in every scene.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

LesterGroans posted:

Man, I'm not getting any of that at all. Of course it's all flash and style: they're setting up their vision and their world. It's the first trailer, so I don't expect a whole hell of a lot of substance or plot(and we did get some in the back-half of the trailer).

Also, I'm definitely a Leo fan, so I'm not worried about him at all. He, Mulligan, Maguire and Edgerton are half the reason why I'm so excited for this.

The thing is I don't feel like they need to set up the world they are representing. It's the swinging 20's and that can be easily shown through the dress style and the way people act, we don't need to see crazy swinging parties with elaborate set pieces.
I don't have anything against Leo one way or another. Jon Hamm would have been my first pick though but I guess he is too old or something like that. Hell even Tom Hanks would be interesting. I usually write off Leo in movies only to be pleasantly surprised by him so I just can't judge him right now for the role.
Lurmann is definitely going for a stylized version for the story and as someone who is a big fan of the book it just comes across as jarring.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sockser posted:

I'd have gone with Ryan Gosling or Chris Evans for Gatsby myself

Gosling would be a good choice. gently caress, Clooney ten years ago would have been really interesting too.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Pakled posted:

Basically, they make more money from Cars movies. Not through the box office (a simple look at wikipedia can tell you that the Cars series are some of their worst-performing movies), but through merchandise. I guess kids really love cars with faces, because none of their other franchises sell as much merchandise as Cars. But hey, if for every Cars movie Pixar can produce an Up and a Wall-E, then I'm perfectly fine with it.

Wasn't there a story about either Wall-E or Up nearly getting canned because Disney couldn't figure out how to merchandise the gently caress out of it?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

I guess we found something as great as this

I kept waiting for Spiderman to show up.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Robert Denby posted:

The last thing the artist saw before this went online was MS Paint's 'Save As' window.

100 people are going to sleep with 100 mustangs in 100 days?

edit: beaten.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

gregday posted:

The best thing about this is that the "SPIDERMAN" begins the next line. The reveal kills me every time.

My favourite line is "...with this mask, spiderman stroke all criminal activities and criminals everywhere".

Maybe it's my dirty mind but having Spiderman (or any superhero) stroke criminals just sounds wrong.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

That girl looks flat. Like she is 2D in real life.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

OGB posted:

Sean Bean looks SO defeated.

You can sort of see him sighing "I was in Lord of the Rings, dammit".

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
^^^^^^Megaton Ofownich would be the best name ever.

I like the plot to this film. Remember that guy we hosed with earlier who came by and hosed us royally. Lets gently caress with him again. They should call this movie Taken: The Refucking. Also got to love a dad who calls his daughter twice to tell her she has is about to be kidnapped. I wonder if he does every once and a while for shits and giggles .

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Salastine posted:

In a surprise twist Liam Neeson gets taken instead.

Calls his wife. Honey, I am about to be...taken.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In South Africa it's referred to as a Bioscope. My dad still calls it that sometimes only to get very confused looks by people who have no idea what that is (I doubt anyone in South Africa still refers to it as such except for the older generation).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Cracked just did an entry about people who have the same poses on all their movie posters.

Some interesting stuff there.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Crow_Robot posted:

There's a movie poster up for Alex Cross. A pretty alright poster in my opinion. Except for one...glaring...thing...

DON'T EVER CROSS ALEX CROSS.

I swear I have seen that faded pose before.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I can see the poster in my head. The guy is all in red and there might have been smoke coming out of the gun. I just can't remember the name of the movie though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
That Spiderman poster looks like a poster for a DTV Spiderman cartoon movie circa mid 1990's.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Six! Six Guns!

Ah ah ah!

I am pretty sure there is a Colbert skit out there about guns having the right to have guns.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rinkles posted:

Higher res VHS cover, linked for :nws: nips. Didn't notice the alternative title before.

The best thing about that poster is that he is holding the gun with one hand. One freaking hand to hold the gun to end all guns.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dillbag posted:

Did someone mention The Wiz?

Does that say "screenplay by Joel Schumacher?" Wow!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I have a problem with this one. Every time I see my brain tries to read the face as a letter so its "RI (face)SE". I keep thinking it's a misspelling of raise (ie Riase). I just doesn't look right to me and I don't like how the face splits the word in half.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I just noticed that the Bane stencil has the Bat logo where his eyes are. Cool.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

"Movie Posters Chat: TDKR will literally bomb internationally because of the Pittsburgh Steelers."

All I wanted was an explanation for the mask.

:negative:

Here is another reason for the mask. In the comicbooks he wears a luchador's mask. While this might be threatening in the comics in movies it can come off rather...silly.
I don't have an issue with the mask (above it looking like a tarantulla crawling across his mouth). One thing the Batman movies have done is tried to bring real world applications (as much as you can) to a comicbook movie. They have explained the batsuit and the reason for the batsuit to have a cape. They have turned the Joker's grin into something hideous and unnerving and they have given Bane a reason to have a mask on him. Also Hardy looks drat imposing in the trailers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Physical posted:

Yea it would be hard to explain Bane because (and I only know this because of the Arkham games) he takes like radioactive steroids or some poo poo. Bane himself is like a super-human. Which doesn't exist in the Nolan Batmans.

Bane takes a drug called Venom, which pretty much pumps into his veins so he can "hulk out" whenever he wants to. I figure the painkillers will do a similar job in the movie (if he can't feel feel pain he won't need to stop).
One thing that looks to be carried on from the comics to the film is that Bane is also a master strategist, not just some brute force.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

marktheando posted:

As a non-yank I find American football extremely tedious but how the hell is it silly to include in the movie? It's not like they will show the entire 12 hour long game, just the bits where people get blown up.

Unless you know something I don't and the entire second half of the movie is like Escape to Victory except with American football instead of football. The epic conclusion of the trilogy is that Batman's team has to beat Bane's team in the big game.

And yes Bronson is really good. The next thing I saw Hardy in was Inception and I was just amazed that this was the same guy.

Since this is the posters thread and I mentioned Escape to Victory-

Yes that's Sylvester Stallone, Michael Caine and Pelé.

Pele's arm is not attached to his body (or coming straight out of his chest).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I like what they did with his torso in that poster but I hate that the made the top and bottom of him solid.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

An observer posted:

Yesss, thank you. In return,

Hearing that this was a "pub movie" made me think that Wright was making a Sandman movie as The World's End was a pub (more like an inn) in one of the Sandman comics. Actually in one of the best Sandman comics. A World's End movie based on said comic would rule.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Pick Hard posted:

The sequel to Pontypool. The movie's writer posted this on his Facebook page.

I like that poster the same way I like a Dali painting. It makes me try figure out what the gently caress is happening.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
At least that poster is fan made. Stewart's eyes freaked me out. Not the red pupil but the way she looks bloody doped out of her mind.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

kiimo posted:

^^^^literally JUST got done doing this.

Gaaaaaaaaahhhh!

This is by far the creepiest and weirdest part of the poster. I know it is the angle and all but it seriously looks like the kid has one ear. And down syndrome.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ez posted:

I didn't mean I'd never seen The Far Side, I've just never seen it online. As far as newspaper comics go its pretty good and if I ever found a collection I'd probably buy it

There have been numerous anthologies released of the Far Side, but the best thing to get would be the Prehistory of the Far Side which is basically the history of the Far Side, filled with unreleased stuff and funny anecdotes (like the one about the dog loving the car). It is really a great read with some interesting history thrown in there.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Slasherfan posted:

PA 4 is using Saw 7s tagline "All Of my Work has been leading to this"

Maybe we can have a crossover. Just like we had Freddy vs Jason we can now Have Paranormal Activity vs. Saw. Think of the crossover appeal!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I wish every Batman would give up a utility belt for a codpiece.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Friend and I were discussing Bond posters and trailers in the bar earlier, he mentioned 'You Only Live Twice', the "antigravity" one... I'd completely forgotten that one existed:

click>big

Bond gives zero fucks as to the laws that bind other men to the earth.

Looks like Bond is going to get a Soviet missile up his arse soon.

edit ^^^^^beaten.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Hewlett posted:

Don't worry, just change it to Mundane Name of Obscure Main Character. That'll help it turn a profit.

Put a "From one of the producers of [some famous film]" That might save the movie.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bowser posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

We...have come...to eat...your soul...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The problem with SLJ is that he has become a bit of a parody of himself, like de Niro or a Pacino. People expect him to play the same roles now (look at Snakes on a Plane) and then think he can't act out of that role. He is a pretty solid actor though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

spanky the dolphin posted:

I gave it a shot.

:stare:

Bravo good sir. You have improved the costumes and if things in the movie were like that poster I am sure it would have been improved too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Talks To Cats posted:

I never understood why they didn't just put little white things over the eyeholes. Then he can do the glowy-eyes in the dark thing like in the comics. And it would make him look more menacing!

They sort of did this in The Dark Knight when he has the white eyes so he can get that 3D sonar visual thing going on.