Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Kush posted:

Well, isn't that nice.

Chronicle had already some nice posters that could caught your attention. Well, I guess the guys from marketing thought it would sell more in my country if we saw generic explosions in the posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Don't lie to me! Those are not her boobs! Look at the photoshopped face in there...

To contribute, I liked this one. Perhaps it's the red.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I stole this from the Drive thread. I know it's fan made, but dear god...it deserves a special place here.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

That Drive poster is simply bad and wrong in everything,it looks like those painted posters you would see in some little forgotten Middle Eastern/Asian town.

Leaving this here:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I quite like most posters for Lars von Trier films, they're often as delightfully twisted as the films themselves.

:gonk: Oh gently caress! The one for the Antichrist made me shudder!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

penismightier posted:

The vagina made of blood is subtly horrifying on so many levels, and such a great thing to sneak past the censors.

Not a vagina made of blood, but it's illusory to a scene were :nms: a clitoris is snipped with scissors:nms:.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

The first thing that came to my mind was that scene, because I watched the movie and was severely traumatized by it. If I hadn't I'm sure I would had agreed with you all.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

It's a shame I never got the chance to see that poster for Fargo in real life. I think we got the regular one, not that is a very bad one.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I like this one. Not great, but still good.

:swoon: Gael García and Diego Luna? :swoon: Oh my God, when it's coming out? I love those two guys so much!
And yeah, poster is nice,considering the style is trying to imitate :)

Edit: Duh, just saw the date down there.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

It is nice that both keep working together,I love the fact that they know each other since they were child actors.

Blind Owl...the photoshopped faces in the poster you posted are hilarious.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Darthemed posted:

This screams "Motherfucking 80's-early 90's" and I want it. For myself. Mine. My precious...

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Brettbot posted:

Is it just me, or is that the Burger King font?

The little laurels on the bottom even look like the Burger King logo in the thumbnail!

Nah,it's just you. Serious answer is that both are similar Serif fonts.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

It happens, sometimes the differences between two fonts are minimal and you can't notice them unless you take a good look.

Edit:
The trailer for this looks amazing, there's a huge 60's and 70's vibe:

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 14, 2012

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

It's meant to be awful. I've heard nothing but bad words about it.

I've read that the main complain is that the movie is very slow. That's the same complain for Melancholia. So, I dunno, I just want to look at the pretty pictures.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

My God...I was 10 when that movie came out. I even played the game in my cousin's Nintendo! :corsair: Holy gently caress dude, I feel like a senile old lady next to you.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Go and rent the VHS dammit!

To contribute, I always loved this

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

Okay Grandma, but I'll need to come down to your place to watch it. Last time I tried shoving a VHS tape in my Xbox I got bits of plastic embedded in my hand and it was very painful and the movie wasn't all that good anyway.

You are lucky I don't have a Beta anymore.

Where is that Ghost Rider poster from? Is that Hebrew?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

AndyP posted:

Those posters look like they're each advertising a completely different movie.

And why Gary Oldman, why? You're too good for this poo poo.

I saw a few clips around Youtube, I think he did an amazing job as usual. Don't blame him for the laziness of the designers for these posters.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Young Freud posted:

It looks like he's shooting through his gas tube and not the barrel.

It's a gun from The Future! Don't you see the kicking rad leds?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

The Triumphant posted:

Also The Proposition, though that was still years ago.

With a poster you're building long-term awareness and trying to create an audience and convince people why they should care that your film exists, whereas with a DVD you're trying to connect to shoppers and explain why they should spend money. A poster is much more about building critical buzz, getting people to anticipate the film, and trying to get across tones and themes so that your movie is cemented in the public consciousness before it opens. A DVD cover is about making it move off of store shelves quickly to people who might not otherwise be interested in or aware of it, so DVD covers go less for "here is how this movie will make you feel" and more for "here are the people that are in the movie, also horses/guns/explosion/sex." That's why even films with fairly abstract or understated posters will generally put the leading stars front and center on the DVD cover.

You are also competing with another dozen or more DVDs in the same shelves, so the flashiest the better.

It's all about selling, now, and as much as possible.

Edit:

Look what I found. "The movie the Vatican doesn't want you to see."

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 17, 2012

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

:nws: Pasolini's Arabian Nights :nws:

I don't see that ending well.

HAHAHA! So you all can take a better look at the "arrow"
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/K84L2.jpg:nws:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Legion of One posted:

I'm in charge of the poster at the cinema i work at and i just loved my managers reaction when i showed her this poster "No just no, you are not to put that up anywhere"

So instead we put one like this one

But with a white eyed guy in place of the cut lip girl

Which brings me to this version

I can't be the only one who is tired of these "inspired / based on true events" tag line right?
And why did they mirror the second D?

The tag line is atrocious, the sad part is that the one used for the Mexican version will attract a lot of fools; 1)A large part of the population is hardcore Catholic, 2)It is a quote from some guy from the radio, "So it must be true!! :downs: "
Actually, they put a lot of thinking in how to sell the movie outside the US by exploding the country's beliefs. That gives them a few extra points.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Legion of One posted:

I remember being told that one of the actors for this (i think it was Dane Cook) called it one of the most generic posters hes ever seen, think he used more Colourful language though.

Awkwardly Photoshopped people and flowers? Check.

Random bold and light fonts? Check.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Oh. OH.
I seriously don't understand sometimes,I mean, I bet there's people in DeviantArt who could do a better work nearly for free. Edit: That's not Nathan Explosion, that's Nicolas Cage's older son...who could actually pass for Nathan Explosion. Cool.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Was this posted before?
I was reading other threads here, and fell in love with this poster:

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 24, 2012

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

It seems the poster has a lot to do with this movie "The Artist", because according to imdb:"A male nurse steals some of one of his patient's drawings and makes money with them." It's a shame it has been over shadowed by the other movie,because I can't find many photos.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

This one?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Febreeze posted:

Yeah, and that is probably the worst, or at least the most boring PF album cover. Even the guy behind it wasn't terribly positive how it came out.

I haven't seen the Artist so that poster makes absolutely zero sense to me.

This is the only trailer I could find for L'artista,not to be confused with The Artist,I hope this helps so the poster makes more sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQcjTHn9XVo

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Ok, I could have been completely drunk when I saw this in the theaters...but wasn't there a scene where Gabriel Byrne (Satan) had a threesome with a mother and daughter and during it they merged into one women or something? :stare:

Wasn't there a scene like that in the Devil's Advocate too? Or I'm getting confused?

Speaking of the devil, I kinda like this one. The way the characters are standing is, in my opinion, an eerie "I'm behind you,always":

Then we have the regular floating heads,flames and bored looking Keanu:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

If I remember correctly, there wasn't much RAH RAH AMERICA at all. 'Captain America' was a pathetic propaganda pawn for buying bonds, his powers came from a foreign scientist and his team consisted of several different ethnicities and nationalities.

Or am I forgetting it wrong?

It's the whole "American won the war and was loving awesome,and,and look we have a super soldier!" thingy that wasn't very liked by people who aren't comic book readers.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

They made a point to show he was not fighting Nazis. Also he was allied with non-americans.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That's loving stupid. Never mind the fact that he didn't win the war. He just defeated the fictional nazi off-shoot, Hydra.

I think it was a very risky movie, because we all know there are a lot of countries that got and still get a lot of poo poo from some Americans(not all of them, some of you are cool), so Captain America isn't a very loved character, no matter if he is fighting real Nazis or not.

Anyways, why don't we forget about it and keep posting movie posters? Uh?

Here, for the nostalgic goon:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Guess I'll give the b/w version another shot, just to see if I hate it less. (it had its good points though)

Hey! Guess what abomination most of us forgot about!

:cawg: Hahahahahahahahaha What the gently caress? Aside from not having his real body, the way his head was deformed so it could fit in the first poster is hilarious !

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Nate Breakman posted:

That was my first reaction. I thought this was another one of the fake posters I just never noticed.

I can't imagine how much fun might had the people who did all the fake posters; mocking everything you hate about bad design.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

The good news is... you are going to live.

The bad news is he is going to kill you.

I love this, the generic action movie poster™.
:mmmhmm:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

mistaya posted:

I was in Target today and walking by this Blue Ray cover gave me a serious case of "Dear God, what happened to your face?" (The best part is how they used a crop of that specific face on the side of the cover.)

Finding it online for the thread, I noticed this shot. Face mangling due to cigar removal, apparently.

I hate when they remove cigarettes and cigars, that's not going to stop teens from trying to smoke. Also, I think his finger was removed from the trigger on the second image.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Max22 posted:

No, they revised the artwork before releasing it.

My guess is that they were in a hurry,knew it had a mistake and didn't give a gently caress. Like "John Doe spent two weeks playing Minecraft,now we have just 30 minutes to finish this thing."

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I went looking around for posters...

I love this one. I adore it. And I lost the chance to buy it. :(

I love the pretty art in this one.

I'm trying to ignore the cartoony eyes in Cesare,because I like a lot the artistic style in The Cabinet of Dr.Caligari's movie and posters.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Lobok posted:

Would definitely watch this:

I would love the poo poo out if these with a bit less lens flare.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

China! Wooh!
(Thanks for the link, also don't read the comments...there's a bit of stupid going on there)

Even if it's a rip-off,parody or tribute, I like a lot the Chinese version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Oh, that's the one they had in this online store I use to buy posters :smith: I checked recently and it seems they don't have it anymore. drat.