Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

cappaj posted:

I didn't realize the actors were incorrectly labeled until it was pointed out in this thread. Seems like an error that you'd ideally avoid, in the same way that, e.g., misspelling an actor's name would be an error.

Again, it's not a mistake. The designer can't just put the right name above the right head just becasue that would make logical sense, they follow what the contracts say. Front & Center is the visual top billing. Top left is the top billing for text. The people deciding the order for each don't care about alignment of both elements, they care what you see and read first. If the contract for one actor says top billing for both name and image, you have their image centered and their name to the left.

Sometimes you get creative solutions for actors competing for placement.

It may be confusing, but it's not an "error" or mistake by the designer.

westborn fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
Probably not very helpful, but here's half of it at a bit better resolution.

As you can already see the texture of the photo paper here, there's probably not a much better scan out there - probably wouldn't be enough for a reverse image search even if it would be fully visible.

Also, while there certainly were posters in that elongated format, the lower part might not actually be part of the poster itself.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

zenintrude posted:

Is the bottom left one designed by John Carpenter (or Alex Cox)?

(Apparently that was the actual design for the generic items at "Ralphs" at the time, not made up for Repo Man)

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

davidspackage posted:

Because of this goddamn gif, every time the Clifford poster gets posted I have to stare at it like a child facing down a nightmare so I won't get spooked accidentally when Martin Short's eyes start rolling.

I aim to please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

It is extremely hosed up that I can't find a higher quality large copy of this

There are some alternate posters with higher quality around:

Mr.Chill posted:

The link is blocked in my country.
The Czech film is blocked in Czechia.
That's amazing.

That's pretty common - for unofficial uploads, skirt by the country of origin's copyright laws; for official uploads this usually means there is a more profitable way of distribution available or a somebody has an exclusive broadcasting license in the country of origin, so free on YouTube = bad.