Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

westborn posted:

The most recent one I can think of right now with a somewhat similar style is this:

But just like with Grindhouse or Saul Bass-style posters, I'll bet there are at least some out there, if only to parody the style.

Not a poster, but this parodies the style pretty explicitly:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Max22 posted:

Lazy photoshopping besides, I think that's actually a pretty decent poster. Somebody can look at it with no prior knowledge of the film and figure out that it's about two spies who fight over Reese Witherspoon. It's not great, but it gets the job done.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

davidspackage posted:

Aside from that, I get the idea of making character posters since it has a lot of big names, but none of the quotes are either funny or tell you anything about the character.

They make the posters look really unbalanced too. There's all this negative space with just a tiny box of text to occupy it, and it winds up looking weird.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Habermann posted:

The important thing to remember in this sort of situation is that the animals are more afraid of you than you are of thJESUS CHRIST WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THEIR FACES

Animals who can speak are an abomination unto God, and this poster does a wonderful job of reminding you of that.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I love the poster for Stunt Man. If I had actually liked the movie this would be on a wall in my home somewhere.

Yeah, I think The Stunt Man's a good movie, but it's definitely not the one advertised by that poster.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Lasher posted:

If I wanted to shame myself I'd say the "demon" in the 3rd poster is taken from Barker's book "The Thief Of Always" Which was Barkers take on a childrens book which involved timeless beings kidnapping kids and bastards running around with huges gob full of making GBS threads sharp teeth. Cheers, Clive!

Thief of Always was published in 1992, though, five years after Hellraider was released. I'd say it's more likely that it's just another Barker illustration thrown in there.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

I won't go ":byodame: This offended my female eyes and feelings!!" Because the posters are well done,and reflect what the movie is about, that's a well done job. Also I think ,and I hope, that they actually made a photoshoot for this, instead of slapping different people together in photoshop.

I find the last one less tasteful and more misogynist for some weird reason. It's perhaps the way they are laughing and how it looks they're about to do a brofist or something. I guess it's the same as when they censor cursing with funny words,making everything worse.

I think it's because in the first three, the character is the one objectifying the women; in the last one, he's in the background while we're treated to a charming crotch shot and some cleavage. It changes the message of the poster from "this character is a womanizer" to "HEY TITTIES".

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Legion of One posted:

And why did they mirror the second D?

It's an exorcism movie, right? Mirroring the second D actually seems like a pretty elegant way of suggesting something (or someone) being twisted and perverted from within.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

The Triumphant posted:

AKA "we're not kidding, this was James Cameron's directorial debut."

Didn't he get kicked off after a few days on set, though?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

Those sunglasses are a worse photoshop job than when Goons do "Deal With It" gifs. How the hell does anyone go "yep, finished product, send it to print"?

Stop hating on "Deal With It" gifs.

:colbert:

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Hey, check out the opinions on this guy.

(TL;DR - Graphic design nerd compares posters of remakes to those of the original, reveals self to have horrendous taste.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

:goonsay: Godzilla doesn't breathe fire, his breath is atomic!

Hey, just because Godzilla can't brush his teeth doesn't mean he deserves to be insulted.