Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Vintersorg posted:

As someone not in the know, what the hell is the Hunger Games? It's being advertised as if I should.

Things like Harry Potter and LoTR are pretty much cultural icons. Hunger Games... eh, not so much.
A very very popular and surprisingly good teen book series set in a future where teenagers from each section of America have to fight to the death in an annual tournament called The Hunger Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Just saw a trailer for this thing during 30 Rock.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

He's very good with the right script (High Fidelity, School of Rock, Orange County) but horrible in too many things. He seems to mostly be after easy paycheques these days what with all the animated work he's done.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

21Jump Street was an action thing?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Two cops walking through an explosion. How does that in ANY way shape or form tell me that they go undercover as high school students to find the supplier of a new drug?
Is that what the tv show with Johnny Depp was about? :confused:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

If Jump Street turns out to be good Jonah Hill will be on an amazing roll. Pretty good from the guy who used to just be "shorter, fatter Seth Rogan".

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Ong Bak was really well choreographed so it should be fun to watch at least.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

(considering I was born in '92 that makes sense)
I'm so old! :cripes:

Also never heard of that movie, though I recognise the poster from threads like this. Maybe it didn't get a wide European release.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

Go watch the Rocketeer, right now.

Well I'm at work but maybe this weekend. No chance its on Netflix, Hulu or Crackle?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

Go and rent the VHS dammit!
Okay Grandma, but I'll need to come down to your place to watch it. Last time I tried shoving a VHS tape in my Xbox I got bits of plastic embedded in my hand and it was very painful and the movie wasn't all that good anyway.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Madkal posted:

It's Hebrew with a transliteration of the title.

(the transliteration is "Ghost Rider" but the Spirit of Vengeance bit is in Hebrew)
"Ruach Shel Nekamah" not a bad translation. Movie translations can be funny, I watched Mission Impossible 3 in Jerusalem in English with Hebrew subtitles and I laughed when they said "Goddamit" and the subtitle read "l'azalzel" which best translates to "to the devil!".

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Robert Denby posted:

Here's his breakout role in "9".

Did he have some work done? He looks like he might have had some tweaking done which while I can understand it, Hollywood is beauty obsessed after all, he's just too young to start making those kind of radical changes to himself. I'm worried he'll end up like Jennifer Grey where nobody recognises him anymore.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I saw him a while ago in an Adam Sandler movie called Bedtime Stories. Even in that Pearce is fun to watch.

Also that movie was surprisingly enjoyable.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Madkal posted:

I better see some face eating action in this film otherwise I will be very disappointed.

I'm hoping it'll be an alternate view of LOTR where the oppressed Orcs have been marginalised and exiled just for the way they look and they're just minding their own business when this loving invisible midget starts loving poo poo up with his jock friends and the Orcs don't even know what they did to deserve it.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

That film was shot in 2008 and still isn't out.
Produced by Nicholas Cage, no joke.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Aatrek posted:

The new Avengers one-sheet. Is the Hulk really supposed to be three stories tall?

So are they ordered by how well their individual movies did? Because I'd have thought Captain America would be placed more prominently than Thor.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

itrorev posted:

Perhaps I am naive when it comes to film marketing, but do they really have to photoshop in the pictures from other sources? With the gazillion dollars spent on marketing, would it really be that difficult to get all the actors to take a bunch of photo for sole purpose of making decent film posters?

How often does this question come up in this thread? I think it's every twenty pages or so, I'm not sure. I'd have to go through the old one to get a clearer picture.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Ez posted:

It's a fair question though. I know it would be difficult to get all the actors together with hectic schedules and all, but why cant they just take an hour on one of the days where they're shooting a group scene and take a picture?

It seems so simple but I'm sure it's wildly impossible for some reason.

IIRC it's because actors have specific headshots that they like that they want to be used for posters. You could do a group pic but if anyone or their agent is unhappy it all has to be changed. I'd imagine when it comes to this many stars it'd be almost impossible to please everyone so they just settle for photoshop wankery on pre-approved headshots.

FoneBone posted:

Thor made significantly more money.
Huh. Colour me surprised.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Guess I'll give the b/w version another shot, just to see if I hate it less. (it had its good points though)

Hey! Guess what abomination most of us forgot about!

Those sunglasses are a worse photoshop job than when Goons do "Deal With It" gifs. How the hell does anyone go "yep, finished product, send it to print"?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Black Lighter posted:

Stop hating on "Deal With It" gifs.

:colbert:

Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Deal With It.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Aatrek posted:

I'm trying to figure out why the van is being driven by the bastard child of Adam Sandler and Henry Winkler.

Thanks, now that's all I can see. :mad:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The Triumphant posted:

What's really damning is that it looks like their movie might honestly be worse than Mirror's Edge.

Are we talking about the same Mirrors Edge, the highly enjoyable and critically acclaimed game?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Forgot to refresh and now I just look like a dick. Nevermind.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Wow, that sounds kinda good actually.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

ClydeUmney posted:

One of the better jokes in Life's Too Short (the new Ricky Gervais show) came when Gervais and Johnny Depp were arguing.

Depp: "I'm in the new movie by Tim Burton. And guess who my leading lady is?"
Gervais: "Helena Bonham Carter?"
Depp: [shocked pause] "How did you know? Who told you?"
Gervais: "Um...shot in the dark."

So Johnny Depp is kinda dense I guess? You'd think he'd notice after a while that every time he's doing a movie with Tim he ends up talking to Helena for a few months.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Jesus Christ, I haven't seen the show. Sorry.

Although I do believe that about Patrick Stewart and don't dare tell me otherwise. :argh:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Its alright, I know the protocol for missing an obvious joke here. I have to run down stairs naked while goons whip me with getout frogs, right?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Fayez Butts posted:

Yes

I don't know what its meant to be about, but all I noticed was "interesting suit, five cuff buttons and pick stitching on the lapels". I do like that it appears to be an actual shot that he posed for.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The Triumphant posted:

It's basically a modern Ulysses-- one guy with too much money having an insane and self-destructive odyssey through Manhattan to get a haircut.

Also Cronenberg wrote the screenplay himself, which is a really good sign.
I will be lining up to see this. Thats the best one line description I've ever heard, and it looks like Rob Pattinson is turning into a real actor. Good on him.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

Are they hiring people from Tumblr now? Nah, just kidding. I think we will seeing this style of posters for a long time.

Yeah I'm pretty sure in a few decades this style will be associated with the 2010s and we'll have some period movie that brings it back as a joke.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I've never seen the Fly or heard of Videodrome. Wasn't allowed to watch movies rated more than a soft PG13 growing up. :sigh:

I saw History of Violence and remember disliking it because it wasn't conventional and sort of ended abruptly with no closure (its been years, I could be remembering it wrong). I did enjoy Eastern Promises though, although Viggo Mortensens penis in blu-ray definition on a 65" TV was... something.

Totally gonna check out Videodrome on Netflix though.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

The one reflected in the eye piece is the Empire State Building, the one behind him is the Chrysler building. That poster has plenty of problems without needing you guys to start making poo poo up about what's in it.

I was about to ask why is the building behind him reflected in his glasses. I thought maybe the idea is he's facing a glass building so the reflection in the glass is reflecting over his eyes. But then of course he should be seeing himself there. Anyways glad I saw your post first. :downs:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

So many of the advertisers in that film either no longer exist or have changed their logos so drastically that I wonder if younger generations would still read most of the signs as product placement. I think Coca-Cola is likely the only logo a lot of new viewers would be familiar with.
I didn't even know there were advertisers in Blade Runner besides Coca-Cola!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Or the Smallville episode Hero. STRIDE GUM
People remember that over "here, take my Toyota Yaris"?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I like New Girl well enough that I catch it on Hulu if I miss it, and I had no idea that was Zoey Deschanel there. I guess she had a different thing going on ten years ago.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I didn't realise it was the radiation symbol for a while, I just looked at it and saw a warped skull, which made sense to me as it is a radiation-themed horror movie. I guess it wasn't until the word radiation popped into my head I realised it wasn't a skull at all, or at least not intentionally. :downs:

Edit: Looking it over again, it's actually the shape of the cloud that form a skull shape, and my mind filled in the eyes and nose hole automatically based on that. Also, looking at the thumbnail it's immediately obvious its the radiation symbol, but bringing the full size on my screen like how I originally saw it makes me see the skull first because my eyes are drawn to the white space.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 24, 2012

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

Mel Gibson's latest. Apparently he spends the holidays shooting everyone and being all crazy. Are you sure this isn't a documentary?

Im not sure having Mel Gibson walk away from what looks like a Concentration Camp is really the best imagery for him these days.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I like how they managed to stick Stieg Larsson's name on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The title is a metaphor.

Edit: Not too sure about that hand.

Maybe because he's a giant loving dog?

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 27, 2013