Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Embiggen
Jan 12, 2011

The Lucas Lee posters from Scott Pilgrim were great parodies of movie poster clichés:

blackguy32 posted:

The running pose poster comes to mind for me.

Examples: Bourne Identity, Adjustment bureau

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Embiggen
Jan 12, 2011

Seriously, were those spider-man covers made in paint? I'm pretty sure the background is the default bright blue. So jarring and so :effort: at the same time.

Croisquessein posted:

Those character posters could work if they came off as Warholesque but they just look like bad colorization of a black and white photo.
I initially thought that they may have been going for something like that, as a nod to the original 60s Dark Shadows soap opera which was in black & white for its first few seasons and known for its weird special effects and sloppy production. Would be pretty odd to have an obscure callback like that as part of the main advertising campaign aimed at a general audience though.

Embiggen
Jan 12, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

If you haven't visited http://www.wrongsideoftheart.com/ before, you should...
Thanks for the link, this site is great. Apparently in the 30s there was a documentary about a guy stabbing everything in the ocean:

I love the style of vintage creature feature posters, but a cranky turtle and a goofy-looking octopus? Those are some of the least menacing sea monsters ever.

Embiggen
Jan 12, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Actually, a giant pacific octopus will gently caress your poo poo up. While slow to anger, if they do come after you they can easily drown you. Their intelligence really shows in that the few times they've attacked divers, they frequently try and pull the divers regulator out of their mouth. The big ones too will frequently attack and eat sharks.
Oh, I'm sure that's true, I meant the illustration of the octopus is goofy and unthreatening by movie monster standards. For something called "KILLERS OF THE SEA" I'd expect something a lot more pulpy and ridiculous, like:

Maybe not that over the top, but definitely more imposing and scary to make the stabbing more of an accomplishment. I guess it being a documentary made them tone it down a bit? The octopus got someone tangled in its tentacles but its simple features make it look adorably confused about the whole situation. :3: