Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
The little running figures in the background of that poster are just awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Slasherfan posted:

I was suprised to see this on the side of a bus earlier.

Okay, so I thought the first trailer looked great and I didn't have the problem with the whole "dude goes evil" thing that Rageaholic Monkey had. I also don't really have a problem with that tagline. But, man, that poster looks utterly stupid. The kid is . . . what exactly? Flipping the sky the bird? Man, that's really hardcore and poo poo! What a badass! Secondly, that is about the lamest "intense face" I've ever seen. Thirdly, that cloud doesn't even make sense with his hand! The cloud's thumb is on the wrong side, isn't it? Whose hand is the cloud mimicking if it's not mimicking his? How hard would that have been to get right? I loved that first trailer, but this one stupid-rear end poster has just squandered every bit of good will I had from the trailer.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

What's amazing is that everyone (except Chazz Palminteri) in the rip-off poster is arguably a cheaper, less-talented alternative to the ones they match up to in The Invention of Lying poster.

Arguably? ;)

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

There's no doubt that Chazz Palminteri is cheaper than Rob Lowe

You know, I was kind of just being facetious (and mainly thinking about the talent side of the equation and not the pricing side), but you just pointing out the above kind of pisses me off. Because you're totally right and what kind of world is it where Chazz Palminteri is cheaper than Rob Lowe? A stupid, stupid world. Palminteri has put in some great performances; he was fantastic way back in A Bronx Tale, for instance. Rob Lowe, on the other hand, can, uh, do vapid well, but then he's purty, so bring out the big bucks! Palminteri needs better movies is the main thing, I suppose.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
That cannot be Albert Brooks. That is not supposed to be Albert Brooks, is it? I will beat someone if that is loving supposed to be Albert Brooks.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

SRM posted:

It's supposed to be Albert Brooks. You know what you have to do.

I'll be back in a while. :jihad:

Edit: "Take him back to the burn unit?" I literally laughed out loud.

Rogue1-and-a-half fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 11, 2012

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Renner is wasting no time. MI, Avengers, now Bourne franchises. Good for him

I'm thrilled. I've been pulling for Renner to make it big ever since SWAT, which was an awful movie, in which he had an awful role that he managed to completely save by playing the part in a really weird, off-beat way. I love it when you can see someone doing "Great" acting in a really crappy movie. Always makes me want to see the actor get more movies.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
I never actually saw the movie, but with that blue, cloudy sky behind Williams and the hat, (not to mention the 'image into infinity' thing) it's clearly a reference to the art of Rene Magritte and he's my favorite surrealist, so I've always liked the poster too.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
I've just noticed that Luke and Leia look nothing like themselves on that poster. In the faces, I mean.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

That is unreal. Presumably the movie itself would explain why there is a cat swinging at the main character on a rope? Or perhaps not. I think I'll just go with that it's not referenced in the movie at all and they just thought it would really make the poster pop if they tied an ugly cat up by its underarms and then swung it at somebody's face.

EDIT: Looking at it again, it's not swinging at her face. That cat is clearly getting ready to splatter all over that woman's rack. What. The. gently caress.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Kaveman posted:

Blu-Ray cover for Enemy at the Gates....

God, Joseph Fiennes' face is unholy. Is Zalgo coming or something?

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Optimist with doubt posted:

I am sad to know this. The cat swinging is actually in the film.

I need to know more. What's the context? Is the cat dead, as in "swing a dead cat?"

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

I can't remember if there was a stir about this poster but for 1972 this was drat edgy. That was a great time for movies that pushed the limits, and the ads went right along with it.

The poster isn't much visually, but that is a frigging great tagline.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
That is actually kind of an interesting poster. In the land of the half-assed, the kind of interesting is king, so good job.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
I like the retro styling of it. It really should have been in black and white, though, since the tv show is where everyone really got into Hitchcock as a personality and the movie is about the filming of Psycho.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Tewratomeh posted:

I like the art style, but it's abstracted to the point that Kirk Douglas looks like Jack Palance.

And Burt Lancaster looks like William Shatner.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

TURN YOUR HEAD BRADLEY COOPER HE IS RIGHT THERE

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
Those titles being used in the movie were great.

Well, gentlemen, we certainly have performed an Anatomy of a Murder.

Well, gentlemen, it certainly is A Time to Kill

Look, gentlemen, it's Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom behind him.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
That Mummy poster is frigging amazing.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Tewratomeh posted:

Maybe the piano's about to fall on Ray Liotta, who's behind Tobey Maguire wearing a Spiderman costume. The two of them tried switching outfits for the day and Hobgoblin got confused and dropped it on the wrong guy.

Now that movie I would pay to see.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

tvb posted:

Everybody forgets SWAT :colbert:

That was the movie when I became a fan, actually. I mean, when you've got a great script, you can be good, sure. But when your movie sucks that much and you can still bring that much of your A game to it . . . you, sir, are bound for great things. I'd totally serious.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
I am fairly certain that the endless cascade of character posters for the Hobbit is totally unnecessary.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
Boy. War. The Joshua Tree. Achtung, Baby. All That You Can't Leave Behind. (Also, October is way underrated) I'm sorry, but anyone involved with all those albums gets a pass from me on being a dick. I mean, lest we forget he's a musical artist and start judging him on things totally unrelated to the music.

Also, am I the only person who thinks The Unforgettable Fire is actually way worse than Rattle & Hum?

EDIT: Strangely, I was just randomly, for no real reason, listening to Love is Blindness on YouTube. I just woke up in the mood to hear that song when I haven't heard it in years probably and then I come in here to find this discussion going on. Weird.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Ez posted:

Oh that's what it's supposed to be. Yeah the mask design that was created specifically for the movie is not nearly recognizable enough for that to work.

Yeah, I didn't know what it was either. It looks more like Venom's teeth than Bane's mask.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Watch it anytime, anywhere it says at the top. Seems optimistic.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
In those one trailers for Les Mis, the tagline is "The Dream Lives." I mean, you think that everyone has heard that song. And then I was like, well, okay, so not the people who wrote that tagline.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Ammanas posted:

that's their badge. the nametag is a fuckup

That's weird, because it jumps out so obviously. I mean, it looks to me like it had to be done purposely. Maybe somebody pulling a prank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Smith is producing though and he's enough of a powerhouse to keep M Night in check. At least I would hope he has enough pull.

A good way to tell if Smith was able to keep M. Night in check is to ask one simple question: does M. Night act in the film?

Well, wait, that's not a good question, because the answer is always no. Is M. Night in the movie?