Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.
Here's a really, really boring poster:

That film is so goddamn insane and unhinged, and they went with gray floating heads looking serious. There's a scene where Nic Cage breaks into a nursing home, shaves while interrogating someone, and then points a gun at an old lady's head and threatens to shoot her for spending her grandkids' inheritance money on oxygen. There's a scene where he orders a dead body to be shot because the man's soul is breakdancing in the background. It's a film where Nic Cage plays a hunchback who smokes crack with Xzibit and hallucinates iguanas.

At least the back of the DVD case has him screaming at lizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Maybe poo poo like this is why this film was ignored by so many people. If the poster / DVD artwork was some kind of tastefully done montage of him almost killing the old woman, breaking into the pharmacy, and doing drugs with Xzibit, maybe people would have given it more of a chance. But that artwork doesn't represent what the film is actually about, so some people who see it are wary of watching the film.

It needs to convey a message of how batshit insane the film is while not actually giving everything away, as opposed to "This is a movie with people in it."

At least Herzog's no stranger to really awful DVD covers.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

A blaxploitation 'Red Tails' directed by Quentin Tarantino would be great.

As soon as you typed this Spike Lee got incredibly angry and couldn't figure out why.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Alhazred posted:

It looks like Radcliffe is walking past a mural or something.

That's exactly why I like it-- it looks like an old-school pulp horror poster.

I'm such a sucker for that style

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Dillbag posted:

And just imagine a Cape Fear-era DeNiro as Wolverine...

Man, even though it's chronologically impossible, in the X-Men movie that exists in my head Charles Bronson plays Wolverine. While I was watching the new ones I kept thinking... well, I kept thinking holy poo poo this movie is awful through the third one, but I also kept thinking "man, Hugh Jackman's good, but can't we get a time machine and steal Charles Bronson from the 70's?"

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Desperado Bones posted:

I won't go ":byodame: This offended my female eyes and feelings!!" Because the posters are well done,and reflect what the movie is about, that's a well done job. Also I think ,and I hope, that they actually made a photoshoot for this, instead of slapping different people together in photoshop.

I find the last one less tasteful and more misogynist for some weird reason. It's perhaps the way they are laughing and how it looks they're about to do a brofist or something. I guess it's the same as when they censor cursing with funny words,making everything worse.

I think it's because the first three, especially taken together, paint the guy as a creep and the last one makes him look cool and charming.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Mustached5thGrader posted:

As a Christian, I can say that there has NEVER been a watchable "Faith-based" film. The worst being Fireproof. A lot of good that did, seeing as how my wife cheated on me and left me :smith:

I'd disagree, but mostly because my faith is a pervasive and enduring belief in the power of Jean-Claude Van Damme.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I think you might be onto something there.

If anyone hasn't seen this film, his solution to being crucified is to kick the cross down.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Desperado Bones posted:

I love this one:

Loving the Ralph Steadman vibe on this.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Madkal posted:

Just want to chime in on the Crow. The stuff takes a huge nose dive in quality with each sequal. The first one I love (nostalgia and whatnot) but it does have it's issues (namely Sarah who is just loving annoying). However, there are some really awesome bad rear end scenes in it, and seeing how Lee takes out each henchman is awesome. The thing that really makes the movie though is that despite it's sleekness it is still rough around the edges. The colours aren't just black but red in the background too. That kind of thing.

The roughness around the edges and messy, casual production was what got Brandon Lee killed though, so, you know, bit of good bit of bad.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

They're not even trying to be subtle are they?

drat, I'd forgotten how good that poster was. It's got the gun, but it also has that sly look and faint rage in Viggo's eyes so you know that he knows exactly how to handle himself.

The DVD cover's really bad though

Kind of worth it, though, because the DVD disc itself is printed to look like the chambers of a revolver, which is really good design.

Also, fun fact, this was the last film ever released on VHS.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Park Chan-Wook's Thirst also had an incredible poster.

I have this one over my desk in giant movie-theater size, and it's glorious.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Desperado Bones posted:

I stole this from the Drive thread. I know it's fan made, but dear god...it deserves a special place here.

Was Ron Perlman in that movie? Because the guy in the bottom right looks like him, and if you are making a normal person look like Ron Perlman you have failed as an artist.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Noxville posted:

Yes it is Ron Perlman, but it is kind of interesting that he comes out the most normal-looking person on the poster.

Okay then. It does still say something that I can identify him and none of the other actors.

(And I've been meaning to see Drive given that no one here ever shuts up about it, but it's only been on DVD like a week and a half guys).

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Desperado Bones posted:

I saw a few clips around Youtube, I think he did an amazing job as usual. Don't blame him for the laziness of the designers for these posters.

Yeah, guy plays a Marxist revolutionary who thinks that little people will only be free if they cast off their chains through violent uprising. It's pretty great.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

kiimo posted:

I know everyone hates floating heads for some reason but there is nothing wrong with this Blu-ray cover.

Why do people want to keep using the same old design when you can create new ones?

Because that mustache looks ridiculous.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

kiimo posted:

Not at all, hope I didn't.

Incidentally, I was just thinking how people in advertising might convince themselves that what they are creating is art.

It occurred to me what Vincent Van Gogh might think if he was alive and saw that Midnight in Paris poster.

I'm thinking suicide bombing.

Given that he was pretty desperate for recognition and killed himself, in part, out of guilt at making his brother look like a fool for supporting art that wasn't selling, probably pretty happy.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Also, Guy Pearce what happened to you? You were great in LA Confidential and Memento :(

Also The Proposition, though that was still years ago.

Legion of One posted:

I have always wondered, is there a real reason studios use cheap looking covers for their dvd covers?

The only reason that i can think of is that they would have to pay a royalty to the poster artist each time it's used and that's why they go for cheaper covers.

With a poster you're building long-term awareness and trying to create an audience and convince people why they should care that your film exists, whereas with a DVD you're trying to connect to shoppers and explain why they should spend money. A poster is much more about building critical buzz, getting people to anticipate the film, and trying to get across tones and themes so that your movie is cemented in the public consciousness before it opens. A DVD cover is about making it move off of store shelves quickly to people who might not otherwise be interested in or aware of it, so DVD covers go less for "here is how this movie will make you feel" and more for "here are the people that are in the movie, also horses/guns/explosion/sex." That's why even films with fairly abstract or understated posters will generally put the leading stars front and center on the DVD cover.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

fenix down posted:

I love that tagline. The orcs are back? I didn't even know they left!

They're back from Lords of the Rings

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Joe Der Maus posted:

My favorite use of review quotes on a poster is from the movie If...
I can't seem to find it online, but if you have the Criterion edition, it's in the booklet.
One side has a list of quotes praising the film and the other has quotes calling the movie vile and whatnot. Somewhere on it it tells the viewer to see the movie and decide for them self.

My favorite film booklet is the one for the terrible, failed-He-Man-sequel JCVD vehicle Cyborg. Whoever wrote the booklet for it actually compares the movie to Kurosawa and Leone.

"...But Pyun had something Kurosawa never did: the cyborg!"

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Madkal posted:

Never saw this for a movie poster but I know for my copy of Wasp Factory by Ian Banks there are reviews on the book calling it the worst/vilest book ever produced.

I wish I'd paid attention to that blurb. That book was great but I really wish I hadn't read it.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

beaver_cheese posted:

They did in Piranha 2: The Spawning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZlFpZKMeyc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

AKA "we're not kidding, this was James Cameron's directorial debut."

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

So what you're really saying here is that Gabriel Byrne is Stardust The Super Wizard, right?

HOLLYWOOD MAKE THIS MOVIE.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

I read about Stardust in BSS a while back and he quickly became one of my favorite characters to appear in any media. His character and the off kilter artwork made me fall in love immediately.

For those who don't know, he's a Superman type who's even more of an rear end in a top hat than most evil versions of Superman. Once, he found a bunch of secret commies, turned them into rats with his powers, and then DROWNED THEM.

He can fire 'retarding rays' from his eyes (don't worry they just slow things down).

A Stardust movie would be so loving brutal.

You forgot the part where he turned a man into a giant head, flew him to the Dead Pocket of Space, and fed the head to a giant headless headhunter who ate it with his neck-stump.

I Shall Destroy All The Civilized Planets! is one of my absolute favorite comics collections.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Aatrek posted:

Arnold gives birth to Danny DeVito.

I'm just imagining that scene from the Always Sunny christmas special where a naked, sweating DeVito is crawling out of a leather couch.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

RDJ's head and body are not from the same picture, and yeah, Captain America is like 50 feet tall. I'll blame Joss Whedon for that poster because why not.

Given that he usually escapes all blame for any problems involved in his works, sounds pretty fair.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Desperado Bones posted:

I love this poster because it highlights one of my favorite things about the movie-- that Robo drives a beat-up Ford Taurus. Which, if you look at his legs, he can't even fit into right.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Wait... I thought Tommy Lee Jones was obviously established as human in the first movie. Because going by the tiny arm sprouting from his chest, he's clearly a Vortigaunt.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Almost everything after Piper is boring Proggy musical masturbation.

They got a lot less interesting when the legitimately insane member left and everyone else just pretended to be crazy.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Jedit posted:

It's a good poster. It was re-used as the box art for the 1980's computer game based on the movie, so I know the art well.

Wait. They made a computer game based on the Werner Herzog version of Nosferatu?

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Cacator posted:

I'd loving love for more video games based on Herzog movies. Any movie will do, really.

BAD LIEUTENANT: PORT OF CALL NEW ORLEANS

PRESS "A" TO BE AN ABSOLUTE loving LUNATIC.

THERE ARE NO OTHER BUTTONS.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

SATURNS SON EATER posted:

The game they stole the entire look and feel of that trailer from (Mirror's Edge) looks more realistic than that trailer does.

What's really damning is that it looks like their movie might honestly be worse than Mirror's Edge.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

Are we talking about the same Mirrors Edge, the highly enjoyable and critically acclaimed game?

drat, it always surprises me to remember that Mirror's Edge actually got good reviews. For me it was just trial-and-error quicktime event gameplay interspersed with terribly-written anime cutscenes.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Apparently he thinks gameplay that requires well-timed button pushing is a quicktime event, aka every game ever.

I was using it to refer to the fact that Mirror's Edge was extremely linear and repetitive, gave the player very little agency, and basically boiled down to trial-and-error gameplay of hitting the jump button at exactly the right time. It didn't have literal quicktime events but you could replace 80% of the game with them and it would have made very little difference.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

I could keep going, if you'd like. Just say you didn't like the game, dude. Hell, I never even finished Mirror's Edge because I got to a jumping puzzle that I had no loving idea how to finish and quit. No one will mind if it wasn't your thing, but none of those criticisms aren't true of a ton video games, right down to kind of being what video games, on the whole, are.

I did say I didn't like the game and started by saying that I recognize the issues I had weren't issues to a lot of people-- I'm not trying to convince people it was bad, just explaining why I, personally, had so little fun with it.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Desperado Bones posted:

What's the name of the movie in English? Because I don't know any Russian.

The Cyrillic is "Krai," but I don't know if that means anything or if it's a proper noun. The bit above the title just says "in theaters September 23"

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

God drat it Tim Burton. You made Ed Wood. You made Batman. You used to make loving fantastic and weird and whimsical movies and now you're just doing awkward dress-up games with your only two friends. What the hell happened?

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

kiimo posted:

She's pretty good but she's pretty much a steaming pile of poo poo compared to Depp and Bonham-Carter, despite any audience backlash of them working together all the time.

Yeah, that's one of the things that really frustrates me about Burton-- Depp and Carter are two of my favorite actors and the fact that he's made me actually angry to see them working together is pretty awful. Part of it is that, because they're his friends, he really doesn't seem to know how to cast them; so many of the roles he chooses for them are roles that don't work for their acting styles or personalities. Watching Depp muddle through Alice in Wonderland was just painful.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

swordfish707 posted:

Depp's Hatter always came off as just...forced.

He always seemed really visibly bored to me. Like most of the goofy accents and weird tics were just things he was doing to try and give the character any semblance of personality or anything unique beyond "goofy makeup, Johnny Depp." Which makes me wonder how bad the screenplay and directing were, because it's really hard for Depp to turn in a performance that bad.

That movie was also just plain ugly. The CGI never looked natural, the art design was all over the place, and most of the plot was just mean-spirited and cruel. It broke my heart to watch it and think that the same man who gave us as gorgeous a film as Nightmare Before Christmas (yes I know Sellick directed it, but Burton's responsible for most of the visual style) made that and was proud of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Fayez Butts posted:

Yes

Holy poo poo.