Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zechariah
Mar 20, 2020

There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night
Longtime lurker. My grandpa passed away today.

For a brief period he worked soliciting investors for Canadian-produced films. He would bring prospective scripts back to my dad plus brother and sister when they were kids and they would pick which ones they liked best. Here are the films he helped get made.

He loved to spoil this one's ending (I think the table being seated with all the dead kids is the only part he remembered - he thought it was hilarious). I bought him a framed original for his b-day.

Love you Papa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zechariah
Mar 20, 2020

Thanks a ton everyone. I knew I'd someday make that post, but it was still tough.

To my knowledge, Death Ship is unrelated to Ghost Ship (though even the tagline wishes it was!).

I'm glad so many of you love Happy Birthday To Me, that's certainly my pick up the bunch (2nd place goes to Heavy Metal). That serial chloroforming montage is one of my favourite movie moments.
While my grandpa was very proud of Meatballs' success, HBTM held a special place in his heart ("And with all her dead friends sitting around the table, she blows out the candle and sings happy birthday to me!" - that last bit delivered like it was a world-class punchline.)
Not sure if he ever actually watched it - he never mentioned the second, third and fourth twists (which were added during filming).

I actually haven't seen most of these films, but I own A Special Day on Criterion bluray so I know what I'm watching next.

Zechariah
Mar 20, 2020

My brother sent me a picture of my nephew:

So I sent him back this:

Zechariah
Mar 20, 2020

When I saw 2018's Rampage in theatres, the power went out and when it booted back up again the film had rewound 15 min and the sound was broken. The audience, with a nervous energy after waiting in the dark, began imitating the sound effects for the scene we'd just watched. The movie eventually rebooted for a second time to put things back on track and people calmed down then, but that brief moment was one of the most fun and memorable theatre experiences ever.

(Edited for brevity.)

Zechariah fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 12, 2022

Zechariah
Mar 20, 2020

I just added this one to my collection.

Vintersorg posted:

Kevin Smith is coming down to Winnipeg this year to speak about that movie and this documentary. Apparently we really love this movie? I've never seen it.

Wikipedia posted:

Release

Phantom of the Paradise opened at the National theater in Los Angeles[7] on October 31, 1974, and grossed $18,455 in its first weekend, increasing its gross the following weekend with $19,506,[8] with a total gross of $53,000 in two weeks.[7] In two months, Variety tracked it grossing $250,000 from the major markets it covered.[9] The film was successful during its theatrical release in Winnipeg, Manitoba,[10] where it opened on Boxing Day 1974 and played continuously in local cinemas over four months and over one year non-continuously until 1976.[11] The soundtrack album sold 20,000 copies in Winnipeg alone, and was certified Gold in Canada.[10] The film played occasionally in Winnipeg theaters in the 1990s and at the Winnipeg IMAX theater in 2000, drawing a "dedicated audience".[11]

Williams performed the song "The Hell of It" on a 1977 episode of The Brady Bunch Hour, and also performed it in The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew Meet Dracula the same year.

What

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKZ2p5tB6y4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV7sd6LlNGA&t=442s
Bonus Halloween III skull mask, 5 years ahead of its time.