Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

WebDog posted:

While the credits follow the norm the pictures have no doubt been assigned in regards to who's a major draw and who isn't.
You have three Oscar winners (Berry, Swank and DeNiro) who all start at the far left square. They are also not facing other actors in an attempt to isolate them and give prominence.

Looking at the top row suggests the photos once gave right of way before agents stepped in to negotiate. Ludacris is the only one shotgunning the viewer so he sneakily gets a one up and Efron's spot is choice as it's the last you'll focus on.
Also everyone's face is roughly of the same proportion to try and suggest some sort of balance.

Of course the whole layout is utterly lovely as your eyes naturally follow where someone is looking and the faces are leading you all sorts of directions as a result. Plus nearly everything is taken from gettyimages.

This is awesome. Some of it is true and some of it isn't, but great insight.

Consideration must be made to who has multiple film deals with the studio (Efron) or a huge deal with a TV show (Kutcher). It is also the publicist that comes in and screws everything up, not the agent.

Most of these aren't from getty though, they're unit photography pulled from the film, Kutcher withstanding. That was actually a photo from production. He fought really hard on everything, probably because he didn't want to be in the film.

This thing was a nightmare.

I was more pleased with how this turned out...

There is actually a lot of work done on this but for once it came out looking natural. I'm not a huge fan of how the sun under Taylor Schilling's chin makes her face a bit distorted but it looks good one-sheet size.

With how much work went into it making everybody happy I was glad that it came out looking like they're actually there. For once.

Some people have complained about how it looks flat and just a picture slapped up and a title slapped on but that is not at all the case. This could have gone VERY wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Max22 posted:

How much of Zac Efron's bicep were you contractually obligated to show?

We actually shrunk him down. He plays a soldier and got fairly ripped for the role. We decreased his pecs too.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

westborn posted:

Sorry, but with the text hugging the edge so closely and the adopted expectation of centered credits at the bottom, this looks like someone cut off a big piece of the left side of the poster.

I don't disagree and I had nothing to do with that decision so I don't feel bad. However I should point out that this is the bar:

The worst.

Like a poster in the classroom of Saved by the Bell.

Like the image but hate the billing block. Hard to read too.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

WebDog posted:

I actually thought the woman in the far right square was Michelle Pfeiffer.

It is.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Robert Denby posted:

Remember the poster for "Darling Companion" that just had a dog on it? No indication of what it was about or anything? Here it is for reference:

And here's the final poster and it's somehow infinitely worse.

I didn't know Patrick Duffy had gone into film. Also, Diane Keaton's face appears to be a mishmash of several unrelated faces.

I saw this on IMP.

Does anybody buy that they are looking at each other?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

And I would love to watch this...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Because it isn't real and isn't sourced from a photo shoot. It is just a really good photoshop.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The phrase "Die Hard" existed long before the film came out. I think it dates back at least a couple hundred years.

I remember being entirely confused why they would name a film after a car battery.

When I first saw it I kept waiting for the battery part, I mean until it started to get awesome and I forgot about it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Crackerman posted:

As mediocre as the film is I really like the title Live Free or Die Hard. Pity it's called Die Hard 4 point loving 0 here in the UK.

I just caught Live Free or Die Hard for the first time about a week ago and I was pleasantly surprised. I don't think it was mediocre at all.

Also on the off-hand chance UK or other goons from foreign lands don't know, the phrase is a play on words with an American Revolutionary War motto...

quote:

The phrase comes from a toast written by General John Stark on July 31, 1809. Poor health forced Stark, New Hampshire's most famous soldier of the American Revolutionary War, to decline an invitation to an anniversary reunion of the Battle of Bennington. Instead, he sent his toast by letter:

Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

The motto was enacted at the same time as the state emblem, on which it appears.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Does it revolve around John McClane busting up a bunch of Flatliners?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The character posters are even worse. What really bugs me is that the characters in the actual film, besides Depp of course, don't really look like typical Burton characters. The posters make them look that way, and it's loving cheap and lovely.

The colors are also horrendous.

kiimo, sorry if that was your work. If it wasn't, please inform someone at WB that they done hosed up. (I get the feeling Warner Brothers doesn't give a poo poo about this film either way though)

It was not, it was done by another team.

However this film is based on a long-running British soap opera that Depp is a huge fan of.

I haven't seen it but I hear it is pretty good and has a distinct campy tone and that is what they're trying to get across.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

and clearly a product of the Alice/Chocolate Factory era Burton.

I don't know what this means. There are hundreds and hundreds of different comps and many many directions that they go, then meeting after meeting happens and the production team along with the executives choose which direction they want to go and then they cut and paste and spice and dice.

If there is any connection to those films it is probably due to the taste of the filmmakers, not any kind of direct correlation to past films. I also should remind everyone that these are designed to be one-sheet size and there is a big difference when you view it that way as opposed to your screen.

I'm not really defending it because I don't really like this very much, I'm just saying what happens.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah I just went over and asked, someone said it was British and they are wrong and just made me wrong. So gently caress you, coworker.

quote:

Dark Shadows is an American-produced gothic soap opera that originally aired weekdays on the ABC television network, from June 27, 1966 to April 2, 1971. The show was created by Dan Curtis. The story bible, which was written by Art Wallace, does not mention any supernatural elements. It was unprecedented in daytime television when ghosts were introduced about six months after it began.

The series became hugely popular when vampire Barnabas Collins (Jonathan Frid) appeared a year into its run. Dark Shadows also featured werewolves, zombies, man-made monsters, witches, warlocks, time travel, and a parallel universe. A small company of actors each played many roles (as actors came and went, some characters were played by more than one actor). Major writers besides Art Wallace included Malcolm Marmorstein, Sam Hall, Gordon Russell, and Violet Welles.

Dark Shadows was distinguished by its vividly melodramatic performances, atmospheric interiors, memorable storylines, numerous dramatic plot twists, an unusually adventurous music score, and a broad and epic cosmos of characters and heroic adventures. Now regarded as something of a camp classic, it continues to enjoy an intense cult following. Although the original series ran for only five years, its scheduling as a daily daytime drama allowed it to amass more single episodes during its run (1,225) than most other science-fiction/fantasy genre series produced for English-language television, including Doctor Who and the entire Star Trek television franchise. Only the paranormal soap opera Passions, with a total of 2,231 episodes, has more.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

She's pretty good but she's pretty much a steaming pile of poo poo compared to Depp and Bonham-Carter, despite any audience backlash of them working together all the time.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

Here's a teaser trailer for it.

Here it is in English

Cosmopolis

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's really messed up because I think Eastern Promises is the best of the bunch and it isn't close. You should watch it again.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was eight when Jaws 3D came out. Yes I'm old.

My older brother was 17 and worked at a movie theater. They had a very illegal after-hours 3D screening for my idiot brother and all his degenerate friends and my brother brought me.

An eight year-old.

To loving JAWS.

I grew up in Kansas thank god because I wouldn't even go near a waterbed for years.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Why would that be illegal?

I just meant that the owners/bosses certainly didn't know about or approve a bunch of 17 year-old employees and all their friends watching a movie after hours with booze and weed. It was 1983. Think Dazed and Confused.

Jaws 3D is atrociously bad, btw and also has a horrible poster in keeping with the topic.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

This is the best part of Jaws 3D.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xd9Mmk60zg

Thank you.

This has to make Spielberg cry blood tears.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The "and Demi Moore" for some reason reads like a punchline to me. Who went and skewed the image of Woody Harrelson? It's like they free transformed it. That sucks.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hey you guys Steve Guttenberg totally looks like this now...

And not at all like this...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Run, Cadet Mahoney, run!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Shannon Elizabeth doesn't look like that either.

She has always been a sassy latina who constantly looks like she's in the middle of swallowing food, what are you talking about?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

HoldYourFire posted:

Looks like they included a photo of Natalie Portman by mistake!

No man they photoshopped it so bad you can't even tell that's Danica Patrick.

I will say this, though. At least they managed to leave his eye wrinkles in and kept his eye colo-

Welp.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 28, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Horrible Bosses.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

No one in the history of cinema was as hot as Salma Hayek in her prime.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It sounds like a textile-manufacturing conglomerate.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I could see that happening.

I'm thinking it plays out more like Bip...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yup which is why I'm secretly hoping Django isn't a spaghetti (even though I'd still enjoy it) because I love a 'good' Western far too much to see all the amazing potential there wasted. Pretty excited for this drat film.

In my opinion the best western ever made is a spaghetti western.

(The Good, the Bad and the Ugly)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Spatula City posted:

Jackie Brown is the best Tarantino movie, by a really wide margin. It's almost a perfect movie. Pam Grier and Robert Forster should have won Oscars for it. :colbert:

I love Jackie Brown but Pulp Fiction is a top 15 movie of all time for me.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cacator posted:

He said since Roger Rabbit or Super Mario Bros.

Kind of surprised he isn't in this...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was just about to post these.

What an odd direction for that campaign.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm not saying I don't like it, it's just a sharp right-turn from the mysterious, ethereal vibe they were going for.

This looks like a campaign for a sci-fi techy movie like Minority Report or something. They exorcised the sense of impending doom is I guess what I'm saying.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gross. I just noticed the "powered by Verizon".

That makes me want to vomit and I work in advertising.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Don't break my suspension of disbelief with your lovely cross-marketing strategy. How can you not have a big enough budget for loving Prometheus to avoid something like this? What is this, a struggling NBC sitcom?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Deadpool posted:

Your suspension of disbelief is broken by use of a company that actually exists? I don't think that's how it works.

I was immediately disgusted because I could hear the cross-promotion meeting happening because I've been to them. It might not offend others, who knows.

But personally I don't like mixing a futuristic sci-fi/horror movie with present companies, at least not Verizon because I feel like it dips into a tongue-in-cheek effect that a movie of this magnitude should be above. The fact that I'm even thinking about that takes me out of the story.

I suppose it would be one thing if it was an iconic company like IBM but Verizon is way too new, way too contemporary. Plus it is a phone carrier service, what does that have to do with androids? Maybe Allied Signal or some kind of engineering company but not a phone carrier. Blech. I dislike.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 19, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

How'd you feel about Blade Runner?

I was too young to recognize what was going on. Walking around the city and being bombarded with ads in the film is a little more acceptable to me (because that happens in real life) than having "powered by Verizon" on your poster but I suppose the fact that it is a viral ad unlocked through a Verizon application make it much more tolerable, I didn't know that. I just saw them on IMP Awards.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maybe me dumb, but I didn't know that was a word. I had to look it up to be sure. I can't tell if I like that or hate it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

HoldYourFire posted:

The last one looks like they accidentally included a Mortal Kombat character.

To be honest they all kind of look like they could be Mortal Kombat posters. The Rock is Jax of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nothing beats the three episode arc that the Nissan Rogue got on Heroes.

Saved this which tickled my fancy at the time and still does.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/kiimosabe/heroes.jpg

(Please please please don't probate me for posting a macro, it is from a different time.)