Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Lizard Combatant posted:

I've not seen this film, but I heard it's not actually about a skeletal tyrannosaurus and I lost interest. Amazing poster though.

Possibly, but couldn't they have found more than one tree to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Based on a True Story of One Man
Who Showed an Entire Country
What Winning was All About

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Well the title is a hell of a draw but naked smackheads don't really do it justice

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

so much good work rolled up and squished into a big ball of poo poo

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Mister Chief posted:

Isn't the social network poster based on someone's else's art style who has been around for decades?

Jenny Holzer or Barbara Kruger, take your pick

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Mister Chief posted:

I'm shocked to see that M. Night Shyamalan's name is even visible on the poster given his recent returns.

His films might do better if they hid his name until the end of the film. Quite the twist!

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

A sketch look was obv the intent but thats pretty poor even for a sketch, and the layout does it few favours. Is there something videogame-related that I'm missing?

Seriously it looks like a high-schooler did the figure in front.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 23, 2012

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Oh yeah, if this were a boxart critique there would be no shortage of poo poo. Even if the intention is worthy I still think the example posted is pisspoor, sorry.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

Agh, drat! :argh:

Well hey here's the Red Band trailer for the new Danny Boyle poster of the movie Trance. :nms: :nws: By the way. Someone .gif that ending please because holy poo poo.

It seems to give a lot of the film away. I would have liked to go in to that blind. I love the poster for Trance posted earlier

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Is that supposed to be his reflection? It feels very much like he's gonna to fall off the bottom of my screen :ohdear:

Ya, its off a coke mirror. You could have done a lot with that idea and better execution

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

...of SCIENCE! posted:

BLOM doing a Battle Royale poster is kind of gross considering he's a Canadian who does a weeaboo faux-anime drawing style. It's like the illustration equivalent of yellowface.

Fair game when anime art is based on a caricature of caucasian features

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

"That coloured fellow there, does he have to be looking down at the viewer?"

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

DKWildz posted:

Ken Taylor via Mondo:
American Werewolf in London

Crikey, that fellas tiny.. a bleedin homunculus..

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

I like the use of the NY subway sign style logo as a juxtaposition but it looks like the artist hit posterize on a bunch of stock photos and called it a day.

Seems Mondo's business model is at the stage where employing a few good artists/designers from time to time can save the rest from being called out as a bunch of traced duotone shite.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Someone got paid for this. Actual cash money.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The movie looks to be dealing with that aspect of their relationship. I am hoping they keep it honest, considering Disney isn't the only company involved in the film's production.

and I kind of like that poster.

Irrelevant! Must poo poo on Mondo at every opportunity! Tis the goon way!

I love illustration but I love good design just as much.

I think the problem is not that Mondo are shite per se but that they are fairly shite at Movie Posters. The majority of Mondo artists often miss the point, don't have a grasp of good design or seem to aim for style over substance, despite being immensely talented, engaging illustrators.

(Obviously, at the other end you have Mr. Minimal Clipart making GBS threads out obscurities for mutual nerdy JO sessions, and in dead center of this wretched axis are the genuine articles - combinations of adequate design, clarity and meaning that studios pay for and have faith in to sell their films. They're not all Art art, but they do a job)

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

spanky the dolphin posted:

I have seen some animated posters in shopping malls in the UK, but it was more like a sort of vertically oriented trailer / poster hybrid. I think there's some cool untapped potential with animated posters.

e: and thanks!

Absolutely, cheap screen technology is being used all over London Underground escalators and some bus shelters. Brilliant poster, I hope it can be shown as intended.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

I dunno, I don't think it's really very appropriate to objectify skeletons any more. It may look all cool and retro but its fundamentally just the same old deadist trash we see on the screen every day.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Mondo's new 300 2 poster.

It's interesting. I'll give it that.

Bad, even for mondo. It's detailed but it is so devoid of creativity I don't know where to begin.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

can we have a moratorium on superhero film posters now please?

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

PLOT TWIST: She's Inhuman.

What we really need here is about 30 or 40 posts explaining the lore

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Robert Denby posted:

From the distributor that brought you "Boyhood" and "The Human Centipede"!

The Titties from Negative Space

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Lord Krangdar posted:

This poster is too perfect:

Props for subtle skull

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

BB-8 for Xmas is a key part of the merchandising multiplex thing they got going on. P.sure that it was designed with the toy in mind from the start, but hey that's star wars for you

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Yes, it's a lot of fun, but the first 15 minutes of exposition drags aren't really needed and drag like poo poo

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Funner fact: everything you just wrote is untrue.

None of that has any bearing on the film, so yeah, "fun fact" I guess

More actors should aspire to a Kinski/Herzog kind of working relationship, it really brings a lot to a film I find

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

I hope the Star War includes China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Lady Naga posted:

The best is when they get uncomfortably close to the key art because it makes them look like horrible mouth breathers

still cant find the transexual on a motorbike