Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

K. Waste posted:

I was watching a documentary hosted by Melvin Van Peebles called Classified X, and it briefly goes into the phenomenon of Hollywood films that attempted to deal with race and miscegenation. This sort of melodrama -- in which a white person was cast in the role of a 'yellow' Negro (a Black man or woman who could pass for white) -- was actually fairly common. Some other examples include:

Both the 1930s and 1950s adaptations of Imitation of Life
Elia Kazan's Pinky
Lost Boundaries from 1949

Weird to disdain it as a "phenomenon" and merely an "attempt" - both versions of Imitation of Life and Pinky are among the best and most progressive of American films. This subgenre goes back at least to Nella Larsen's seminal novel Passing, which I can't believe was never directly adapted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Oh man, I adore Watermelon Man. That one and The Spook Who Sat By the Door are probably my two favorites of that revolutionary black film movement. Read Van Peeble's Ain't Supposed To Die A Natural Death, if you haven't. That's a stunner.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Cacator posted:

Chuck Norris is the reason why there wasn't any cursing in the second movie (but graphic bloody violence is perfectly fine) so gently caress him.

Plus he made the shittiest garbage pile movies in all their primes. I loving DARE you people to watch Invasion U.S.A. again.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I've been waiting days to post this:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Alien 3 is a dad who's not very good at catch but goes out and throws with you sometimes, even if it's mostly you chasing the ball as it rolls down the alley. Alien 4 is a snide dad in a ponytail who the neighborhood moms won't let their kids carpool with.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Hahahaha holy gently caress that looks awful.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Any of y'all pining for an actually good movie about Ancient Egypt should check out Faraon. Also whitewashed but since it's Poland in the '60s you gotta figure they didn't have too deep a bench. Amazing visuals, never shies away from the weirdness of that culture, down to totally inscrutable hair.

Here's a pretty bad trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-lPTkkpiTw

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

As someone with a love of all things Ancient Egypt in film, I need this in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDUgigISy98

Has english subs if you watch on youtube.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

That's one of the worst taglines I've ever seen.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I love how there's not greater guarantee that a movie's derivative as hell than if it claims to be an "untold" story.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

It would own though if Dracula Untold turned out to be a meticulously accurate biopic of Prince Vlad III.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

Dark comedies are still comedies, and Observe and Report was 100% a dark comedy.

No way, man, this is clearly some Ingmar Bergman dirge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0I6TlPSH20

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Young Freud posted:

I would be interested in how they would do that. Use a framing device like have Robert Osborne or other film critic introduce the film and go into Hitler the author/filmmaker at the end or just have the film go straight to the credits reading "Lord Of The Swastika" and have the entire film played straight and tack on an addendum fake "making of" at the end?

Nah, you gotta do a retrospective documentary weaving in scenes from the film with recollections about how "inspiring" it was to make.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Doctor Bishop posted:

Make it a mockumentary in the style of Jodorowsky's Dune about Lord of the Swastika being the greatest, most ambitious sci-fi film never made. Done and done.

Nailed it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Christoph Waltz.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Well I'm sorry but its really legible and reads as 'Down'. I know Goons like to make typography jokes but sometimes you reach too far.

Do you seriously not see why that word, which has four letters of which none of them scan immediately as upside down, is a bad choice for that style?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Movie's got rad saucers:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Geekboy posted:

I watched this movie randomly in the middle of the night as a teenager and it felt a bit like a fever dream until I saw it again in my 30's ... though let's be honest, it still kind of felt that way.

I'm saying you should all watch this movie.

Adam West and a monkey sidekick, what more could anyone want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm not gonna like, that 2001 poster looks stupid as poo poo. Way too busy for the simple idea it's trying to convey.

The way complicated "I just got Illustrator!" imace trace look really, really fights the intentionally stripped-down minimalism of the set and the movie.