Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I started watching sumo on Jason's channel a month or so ago (watching through March and May), and I'm really enjoying Nagoya so far. Hakuho looks totally dominant, but I'm also really enjoying watching Yoshikaze. He fights like a much younger man, and is really fun when he starts going nuts. I'm also excited to see Ura take on some top dogs now that so many rikishi have pulled out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Takayasu has been a real pleasure to watch this basho (apart from day one). His tachi-ai is incredible, especially when he's up against another strong, aggressive type like Tochinoshin.

Hakuho vs. Ura tomorrow should be fun. I hope Ura can put up a show against the yokozuna at least, although I don't know how far his cleverness will take him against a guy who's been yokozuna since he was 22.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I already liked Ura, but after his very respectable showings against the two yokozuna and his adorable interview I'm now a total superfan. My girlfriend also really dug it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

Takayasu-Ura, man. No words

They are both really admirable rikishi. Ura is creative, he never gives up, and he's always trying out a new angle, while Takayasu is poised and powerful, and he is able to suddenly turn the tables as soon as he spots an opportunity. Great bout.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Really looking forward to September, I hope Ura is back in fighting trim, along with Terunofuji. From what I've read it sounds like the only way Kisenosato is gonna be able to fight at Yokozuna-grade is with surgery and long convalescence, which loving sucks. I really liked Takakeisho this tournament, even though he got creamed due to his M1 rank. Hope he doesn't get demoted too far, and comes back up the banzuke again soon.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

If anyone is wanting some sumo stuff in between basho and is interested in a bit of sumo history, Jason is covering a Japanese program about the 30 most popular rikishi according to a fan poll. It's a pretty fun series so far. They've got a clip of Takanohana vs. Akebono when they were 15 and 19 years old respectively, as well as one of Takayasu doing karaoke. Pretty fun!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That's awesome.

The guys at tachiai.org are talking about a lot of the top-rank guys being injured going into the Aki basho, including Hakuho (who pulled out of the summer tour to rest his knee). Takayasu is the only one who's in full fighting trim as of right now. This is going to be a really weird basho if all the ozeki and yokozuna are fighting on the weak side.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Depending on how injuries pan out, there could very well be a moment in the next 18 months when all the current yokozuna are gone, along with Terunofuji and Goeido (either retired or just demoted). I wonder how long it will take to fill the power vacuum once Hakuho and Harumafuji aren't sitting up at the top spoiling ozeki and yokozuna runs.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I cannot believe how much of a blood bath this basho has been. My poor golden boy Ura really shouldn't have competed. I hope he's able to actually fix things up. Onosho is on fire right now – he's aggressive, and he has good follow-through. The commentators were saying he's the first rikishi since Hakuho to take double-digits in his first 2 makuuchi basho, and he's looking really good at Aki so far as well. I'm really stoked to see where he goes in the next 6 months.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 12, 2017

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

What the gently caress is happening this basho. At least Onosho is still lighting it up. Takakeisho is also doing really good sumo down at m5.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm doing a fantasy-beya competition with my sumo buddy this tournament and all of my rikishi got blown out today. Unfortunately my friend got Onosho, so he's very much in the lead. That kid is on fire; I'm very much looking forward to his bout with Harumafuji tomorrow.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Over at Tachiai they were speculating that if he gives up another kinboshi tomorrow he might just straight up retire mid-basho like Chiyonofuji did. He's clearly carrying a lot of pressure, and you can see he's really upset after these losses. Sucks to see.

That said: sick pratfall today for sure.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yoshikaze vs. Shohozan was brutal. I love Yoshikaze, and attacking with his face seems to win bouts, but it's so stressful.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I think everyone is pretty stoked on how this basho ended up. It was a bit laggy in the middle, but the last few days were great, with excellent sumo and high stakes. I liked Harumafuji fine before this, but now I respect the hell out of him for showing up, fighting on even though it looked like he was risking intai, and then winning the drat cup. What a hero.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I've been watching some uncut footage of sumo on youtube lately and there's a whole two minutes of entering the ring that I wasn't really aware of. Is there a set ritual for what happens before the tachiai? It seems like there are some set steps, clapping, etc, but I can't tell if getting to the line and getting back off it two or three times is choreographed or just a false start situation.

The length of pre-tachiai warmup time is fixed by rank, so like wrestlers in the jonidan division don't get to do all the cool salt throwing stuff. I know certain elements of the ring entering, like the shiko (big stomp move) are formally part of getting ready for the match (so you see it in the lower divisions also). The bits where they form up to the line though, I can't quite tell how formal that all is, or if it's just traditional. I haven't found anything in English specifically describing what all of that is. I know the gyoji signals with his stance and fan when it's time actually get to it. The last time they leave the ring to throw salt is also when you usually see the wrestler's signature move, like Kotoshogiku's big stretch, or Harumafuji's hip wiggle, or Kisenosato slapping himself really hard in the face. Then they throw the salt, slap their bellies, and form up for the tachiai. At that point the timing is all mutual consent. If one wrestler doesn't like the timing, he'll nod an acknowledgement to the other and then stand up. They both stand up and re-set at that point, but they don't leave the ring any more. The gyoji doesn't control the timing of the tachiai except to stop the bout when there's a matta (false start).

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Something my girlfriend noticed is how physiologically pumped the wrestlers get during the whole pre-bout ritual, especially someone like Hakuho. Watch him in Kyushu – he comes into the ring cool as a cucumber, but by the end of the ritual his whole body has a flush to it and he's sweating like crazy. His sympathetic nervous system is obvious on full blast by the time they form up for the actual tachiai. It certainly builds tension before a match. If you watch Jason's coverage of the playoff bout between Goeido and Harumafuji you can hear the crowd losing its mind by the time they finally do the charge.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Banzuke is published tomorrow! My friend and I did a sort of fantasy sumo basho during Aki. If anyone in this thread wants to play I'd be happy to organize it. The rules are as follows:

Choose one wrestler from each of the following ranks:

Y/O
S/K
M1-M5
M6-M10
M11+

for a total of 5 wrestlers. Points are awarded as follows:

5 pts for a yusho
3 pts for a jun-yusho
3 pts for a special prize
2 pts for a kinboshi
1 pt for a winning match
1 pt for kachi-koshi
-.5 pt for make-koshi

We also had rules for trading out rikishi, since so many people got hurt in Aki. Basically, trades have to be completed before the next day's matches start (that's midnight PST). Each player can initiate trading once, but if one person initiates a trade everyone else can trade for free. To trade you swap out one rikishi for another rikishi in their same rank set. Depending on how many people play we'll have rules for how many people can hold the same rikishi. All trading closes once matches start on middle Sunday, and you have to keep your current stable during the second week.

Kinboshi are only counted if you had the rikishi in your stable when they scored the kinboshi AND if you still have them at the end of the basho. Kachi-koshi are only scored from the rikishi you have at the end of the basho, but make-koshi are counted against you for every wrestler who had been in your stable at all (this is to discourage excessive trading, and reward people for making good choices from the beginning).

I'll track everything in a spreadsheet, and update the thread daily with a running score. Let me know if you're interested! People can sign up for the tournament until next Sunday, and then I'll figure out specific rules about duplicate rikishi and how we'll do our initial draft etc.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hey, it's cool how many people wanna play! I think we're gonna limit it to no more than 1/3 of the league can hold the same rikishi, so right now that would be three people.

To draft, I think a ranked choice system will be best. Choose your top 3 choices, in order, for each rank set. I'll randomize the draft order, and it'll snake for each rank set. That way nobody gets too bad a draft position.

Start thinking about your wishlists! I'll need them submitted in the thread by the end of Sunday so I have time to do the draft and set up the excel sheet.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

Do you want us to PM you, or just post preferences here?

Feel free to PM me if you want to keep your strategy a secret, but posting in the thread is also fine.

Martytoof posted:

I've only been following sumo since the last few basho so most of my picks are going to be guesses FYI :tipshat:

For Aki I just basically guessed+chose wrestlers I liked and it was still quite fun. I did get creamed by my friend who actually did a bit of research to build his team, but it was still fun.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 1, 2017

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Rigel posted:

oh also if we swap out a wrestler BEFORE the 1st day, can we avoid the make-koshi penalty? I understand why it needs to be enforced after the 1st day has begun, I'm just thinking of the situation where a wrestler is trying to prepare, toughing out a secret injury, then announces he's hurt (or rumors come out he's hurt) before the tournament begins.

If a wrestler is on your roster for day 1, then later pulls out and ultimately loses, then yeah, a penalty is appropriate for the final score.

Yeah, I'll accept any swaps for free before day 1 starts. It's no fun to start off with a kyujo wrestler. Make-koshi penalty is only once the basho starts.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay, I just spent the 15 minutes to put together my draft list too:

Y/O: Goeido / Hakuho / Kakuryu
S/K: Yoshikaze / Terunofuji / Onosho
M1-M5: Takakeisho / Takarafuji / Hokutofuji
M6-M10: Kaisei / Endo / Takanoiwa
M11+: Asanoyama / Aoiyama / Takekaze

Kenning fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 2, 2017

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really hope Takayasu is properly healed up for this basho, he's one of my favorites right now. I love how he looks completely bored during the warm-up and salt throwing, then totally insane crazy face during the bout, and then immediately back to bored again. It's the best.

Fryhtaning posted:

I'm in it to Nguyen it.

Y/O - Kisenosato/Hakuho/Harumafuji
S/K - Mitakeumi/Onosho/Yoshikaze
M1-M5 - Chiyotairyu/Chiyonokuni/Ichinojo (gently caress these choices suck. whoever wins is going to win due to this section, mark my words)
M6-M10 - Shodai/Ikioi/Tochinoshin
M11+ - Daiamami/Aminishiki/Asanoyama

This idea rocks.

I noticed a tension in building my strategy between "This guy is young and he's due to get knocked down a peg now that he's in makuuchi" and "This guy's been on a yo-yo the last couple years, and his career might be on a downward trajectory now". I was looking for "This guy's been in the top ranks in makuuchi, he got knocked down, but now with the experience he's on the way back up," and there were not very many who matched that description.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

We're getting close to doing the draft! I need draft lists from the following people:

Rigel
sivad
Pvt. Public
Tsaedje

I'm going to start drafting on Sunday, so I need draft lists by midnight Pacific time on Saturday.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Alright, everyone's got a draft list. I'm going to go ahead and close entrance to the fantasy-beya early, so I can start doing the draft. If someone comes in in the next 4.5 hours with a draft list I'll figure something out, but I wanna figure out who the teams are. We've got 11 people, so it will still be 3 goons max can hold a given rikishi. Let's see how it shakes out!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Under the wire! With 12 people that means 4 goons can hold the same rikishi. nyerf, I'll act like you were at the bottom of the draft, and then see what you get. Let me re-work things real quick.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Alright, here's your heya. The following wrestlers have been chosen by 4 different goons, and currently cannot be traded for: Hakuho, Tamawashi, Shodai, Aoiyama, Takakeisho. Once the basho starts I'll update this page with your daily and total scores. I recommend you all track your individual wrestlers' performance, so you can know if it's time to drop someone. Remember, anyone can call for a trade, but everyone gets to trade for free if you do. Trades will be first-come first-serve. All trading ends before the beginning of nakabi. I've never done this with a large group before, so I might tweak the trading system after this basho.

Diplomat:

Y/O: Hakuho
S/K: Mitakeumi
M1-M5: Tamawashi
M6-M10: Shodai
M11+: Aoiyama

Elissimpark

Y/O: Kakuryu
S/K:Terunofuji
M6-M10: Takanoiwa

Fryhtaning

Y/O: Kisenosato
S/K: Mitakeumi
M1-M5: Chiyotairyu
M11+: Daiamami

Kenning

Y/O: Goeido
S/K: Yoshikaze
M1-M5: Takakeisho
M6-M10: Kaisei
M11+: Asanoyama

Martytoof

Y/O: Takayasu
S/K: Terunofuji
M6-M10: Endo
M11+: Takakaze

nyerf

Y/O: Harumafuji
S/K: Terunofuji
M11+: Ura

Platypus Farm

Y/O: Takayasu
S/K: Onosho
M1-M5: Takekeisho
M6-M10: Tochinoshin
M11+: Ura

Pvt. Public

Tochinoshin

ratmosphere

M6-M10: Daishomaru

Rigel

Y/O: Kisenosato
S/K: Kotoshogiku
M1-M5: Ichinojo
M6-M10: Kaisei
M11+: Kagayaki

sivad

M1-M5: Shohozan
M6-M10: Tochinoshin

Tsaedje

Y/O: Harumafuji
M1-M5: Chiyotairyu

I believe everyone except nyerf was able to get all their first-choice rikishi in this draft, and nyerf just got Kisenosato instead of Hakuho since they came in late. Before nyerf raised the maximum to 4, a couple other people had to take their second-order choice. I think this draft works fairly well, though next time I might fully randomize the drafting in each round.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 5, 2017

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

As far as I'm concerned the only definitively healthy Y/O rikishi is Goeido. Everyone else is on the mend somehow, and we don't really know how in-shape they are. Aki was super weird cause of how many people were kyujo from the start, but I'd be amazed if Kyushu doesn't have a lot of twists and turns in the upper ranks.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay, so I'm actually open to suggestions on trading. When it was just me and ratmosphere during Aki the way it worked was that either person could initiate a trade, but the non-initiating party got to trade first. That made it risky to initiate trading, cause maybe the other guy would get the wrestler you wanted. With this many people that system won't really be viable.

I want there to be some sort of penalty to trading, so people don't just jump ship a bunch. I think it will go like this: everyone gets one free trade. The second trade is a -.5 pt. penalty, and each subsequent trade is -1 pt. That means it's still worth it to trade out a real dud, but you have to pause to think about it. You can trade out any wrestler at any time for another wrestler in the same rank set. You can only trade for wrestlers that are not currently held by 4 people. Trading is first-come first-serve, and all trades must be submitted before the makuuchi matches start for the day (which is now 11 PM Pacific Time, 4 AM Eastern). There will be no more trading once matches start on nakabi (middle Sunday), and you have to stick with your heya for the whole second week.

Is that pretty clear?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

Waiver wire.

I'm down to run it this way. In order to deal with potential priority overrules, I think we should treat every trade like the draft, and give 3 ranked choices. That way it won't be that someone wants Yoshikaze, but gets overruled by someone else posting later but with higher priority, and then doesn't get to trade at all They can pick up 'giku instead. And yeah, we can maintain the wire for the January draft, which will help smooth out the fact that the snake still favors the top of the list when there are 5 rank sections.

Rigel posted:

oh, another suggestion, and this suggestion is for January, I DO NOT believe we should do this for November because its too late. Letting us collectively have 4 "copies" of the same wrestler seems pretty loose and forgiving. I don't think we can limit to 1 like we do in fantasy sports that have hundreds or thousands of players, but maybe in January we could tighten the screws a bit and try limiting to 3. And if that doesn't seem to cause much tension in trades or the "draft", we may try a limit of 2 in March. In any case, we should stick with 4 for November, because thats how we drafted.

Another thought I just had, I don't want it to turn into "well crap, whoever gets Hakuho is just gonna win then", maybe we can still allow 4 copies in the Y/O rank, 4 copies in the S/K rank, and tighten it up further down.

I think this could work for Hatsu. Maybe it can be 1/3 can hold in the san'yaku, and 1/4 can hold for maegashira, in order to force more diverse strategies.

Fryhtaning posted:

Yeah that does kind of blow things up. Maybe in that specific scenario a rank-and-filer can be drafted for any of the higher spots? I mean, if Jose Altuve goes down for the season you can at least pick up some random 2B to fill the spot, but not even being able to fill a hole with anything is kind of lovely. There'd have to be some kind of way to make sure someone who actually needs an M11+ rikishi doesn't get screwed though. :psyduck:

I think that if we reach a condition where it's no longer viable to follow the distribution rule for san'yaku we can try this. Maybe something like, "If any rank class ever shrinks to be too small to accommodate the full amount of players, then that rank slot can be filled by a wrestler from any lower rank slot, starting at M1-M5." That way you can't have 2 Komusubi, you'd have to actually pick up a rank-and-filer to fill your Y/O slot. If we ever reach a point where there aren't enough M11+ to go around we'll probably just allow more people to hold M11+rikishi, though I doubt it will come to that.

Martytoof posted:

God drat this is the best sport

Yeah sumo loving owns.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The week after Nagoya finished I hosted a sumo party where I just queued up Jason's whole Nagoya playlist on the TV. We had sake and onigiri and probably something like 20 people came through over the course of the day. I've had multiple people be like, "When are you gonna have another sumo party" and "Honestly I started to really get into it." We're gonna do a party for Aki this coming Saturday, and I think we're gonna get another big turnout.

One thing that helps people get into it quickly I think is that you can reasonably sit down and watch 30 bouts in a sitting no problem. That way you start to recognize patterns, and ascertain strategy and stuff in your first couple viewings, which helps you get hooked. It takes a much longer commitment to see a comparable number of boxing matches or Formula 1 races or football games or whatever.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

To be fair, I've spent years building up a reputation as someone who throws fun parties, so I definitely had a bit of social capital to draw on to get people to come for a sumo party. Now though all those people are talking it up to the new people. It's a long game for sure.

Fryhtaning posted:

Where do you live? :allears:

Bay Area! I tried looking around for local sumo fan stuff, but couldn't find anything. I'm sure there's something in Japantown, but I don't think there's anything going on in English currently.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Man, that sucks. He was looking pretty solid during the jungyo. I feel super bad for Kakuryu, but like, how many bouts has he actually wrestled in this year? It's not a lot.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah that's a bad look. Woof. I'd love for him to be able to retire on a high note at Hatsu, but who knows at this point.

One of the guys over at Tachiai (which has been on fire for the last couple months) posted a really useful set of Kyushu scorecards. I bet these will help when we're looking at doing a trade.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ura has announced that he will be kyujo for this basho, so that means Platypus Farm and nyerf will be getting their second-choice rikishi at the M11+ level. I'll make those adjustments once I get home from work (unless you want to choose someone else instead of whoever was your second choice). Of the other guys who were sort of up in the air, Terunofuji and Kisenosato are definitely going to be there, while there's been no word one way or the other from Takayasu.

Platypus Farm posted:

A guy I see at the gym sometimes was there today and we got to talking, you know, about fat guys in diapers.

Turns out, the whole business with Hakuho being the baddest terminator in the world made some, albeit small, ripples around the general combat sports community. He was vaguely aware of hakuho but didn't know anything about sumo at all.

Needless to say, my workout took an hour and a half instead of an hour, and there is now a new late-thirties white man chomping at the bit for a 600 year old japanese slap fight to start.

You are doing God's work.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay, the torikumi have been published and the kyujo list is Kakuryu, Ura, and...Takanoiwa! So that means that Ellisimpark has Takayasu instead of Kakuryu and Chiyoshoma instead of Takanoiwa. To replace Ura, nyerf got Aminishiki, and Platypus Farm got Okinoumi, since second-choice Aoiyama was already taken by 4 goons.

Reminder, the following wrestlers are not available for trading:

Hakuho
Tamawashi
Shodai
Aoiyama
Takakeisho

FYI, I'm working on an Excel template for running this system. My girlfriend is much better at Excel than I am, so hopefully by the end of Kyushu we'll have put together something that will be fairly easy to use for future basho. That way it will be easy to pass on the administration of future fantasy-beya games if I can't do it for some reason.

I can't wait for the salt to start flying.

Tsaedje posted:

Ura's been given a basho buffer by being ranked M16 this time. Kyujo only drops him down to Juryo, which is what would have happened if he'd tried to fight. If they'd put him in Juryo for this basho there'd be an argument for him showing up to try to limit how far down he'd drop for January.

I hadn't thought of this, but it makes sense. It's good that the sumo association is trying to help him not hurt himself additionally, although I wish he had been able to rest after Nagoya in the first place.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 10, 2017

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm really glad he's opted for surgery. It's too bad he'll drop down the banzuke, but hopefully he can pull a Tochinoshin and heal up well before smashing his way back up to makuuchi. It'll be a slog, but he'll have more time to refine his technique, and hopefully he'll be able to fight a bit more safely.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

My sumo party just wrapped up! We had like 20 people through to watch the Aki basho. As usual, lots of people were saying that sumo was surprisingly fun and good to watch, and several were telling me I should convince some local bar to have a sumo night occasionally. I don't know any good bars for that offhand, but maybe someday. If you wanna have a sumo party, just queue up Jason's coverage, make some sushi rice and a couple of fillings (avocado and kippered herring are good choices), and get some sake. It's great how quickly folks start rooting for specific rikishi.

I'm really stoked for Kyushu; I'm pegging Goeido to take it. He's the only Y/O ranked wrestler who hasn't suffered a serious injury in the last year, and he's a beast when he's actually going for it and not just playing it careful. He also has a lot to prove after Aki. Also – day 1 at Kyushu has Yoshikaze vs. Shohozan, which should be great, since they're both brawlers. I can't wait.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Current fantasy standings:

code:
Diplomat	5
Elissimpark	6
Fryhtaning	1
Kenning		3
Martytoof	2
Platypus Farm	4
Pvt. Public	2
ratmosphere	5
Rigel		4
sivad		3
Tsaedje		4
Everyone who has Tamawashi got 2 extra points for his kinboshi, but remember, that only counts towards your total if you're still holding him at the end of the basho.

Maybe we should just rule this thread "Contains spoilers" so that we can talk about the day's matches freely. I avoid reading Tachiai until I've seen the day's matches, maybe this thread should be like that also.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

LOL, plebian :agesilaus:

But seriously, I usually wait until Kintamiyama is up before posting.

You missed nyerf.

Whoops, you're right. I think everyone after Martytoof might be wrong actually. Give me a bit and I'll fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Kenning posted:

Whoops, you're right. I think everyone after Martytoof might be wrong actually. Give me a bit and I'll fix it.

Yep, things were messed up cause nyerf was the last to join. Here are the actual standings as of day 1

code:
Diplomat	5
Elissimpark	6
Fryhtaning	1
Kenning		3
Martytoof	2
nyerf		4
Platypus Farm	2
Pvt. Public	5
ratmosphere	4
Rigel		3
sivad		4