Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
so I'm writing a paper on Asashoryu for a class - does anyone happen to know of any good articles that talk about him and/or sumo's decline in popularity over the last ~10 years? the most recent source I have right now is the Levitt study that proved match fixing, and that was from 2002. it seems like practically nothing has been written about sumo whatsoever since then outside of your garden variety newspaper articles (which I will be using, but having something a bit more on the scholarly side would be hugely helpful).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Pvt. Public posted:

The hard part is sifting out biology and genetics articles from results for sumo.

yeah this was a huge pain in the rear end when i was searching. but some of those articles definitely look like they could be useful, as do those two things that you linked, Just Winging It. i've already read a couple of those (the duggan & levitt study and Japan's Gross National Cool) and i should probably be able to find the rest from my school library + interlibrary loan (one of the nicer perks of going to a state school), but if i can't i'll definitely let you know :tipshat:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Funkysauce posted:

With the quoted match, I think he stopped to prevent Hakuho from using that cheap elbow/forearm shiver he's been cold-cocking people with. Seemed to have worked but then he didn't capitalize.

that's what i was thinking too.

i'm really glad to see jokoryu off to a good start, it's going to be really interesting to see whether he can pull off a KK in his first makuuchi tournament. whether he does or he doesn't, he's going places.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
none of the bouts today were all that thrilling, but hakuho's match (and his eventual winning method) were interesting. shame about the lousy start so far for myogiryu, i hope he pulls himself together. also a shame about baruto, when he's healthy i see him as every bit as good as the rest of the current group of ozeki. hope he comes back strong next basho.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Day 5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV_6laQN3mg

Jokoryu: still struggling. I agree with Dr. Radical's assessment though - he just needs more experience. I don't expect him to stick in Makuuchi this time around though.

Chiyotairyu: still going strong, performing pretty flawlessly right now. Hopefully he keeps it up when he has to face some tougher opponents - so far he looks like one of the better maegashira, but I doubt he's ready for sanyaku

Toyonoshima: although he's been good and is still among the leaders, I don't expect that to last

Kotooshu: looks like he's going to continue his long streak of KK when kadoban- once again I agree with Dr. Radical, he seems disinterested except for when it really matters

Myogiryu: totally agree with Kintamayama, he's trying too hard and leaving himself exposed. he needs to relax and rely on technique like he usually does

Shohozan v. Kisenosato: easily the best match of this basho so far, for my money almost as good as Harumafuji-Hakuho from last basho - with different stakes, obviously

Yokozuna: Hakuho looks pretty drat confident that he's not gonna lose right now, although Harumafuji looks to have his legs back under him. Also, I sort of feel bad for Kaisei, I've liked his spirit in his matches so far but he just doesn't have the stuff to beat the big guys. I feel like he'll be bouncing in and out of high-maegashira and the sanyaku ranks for a while, maybe trading places with guys like Aoiyama.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
there were a few really lame matches today, but a few rikishi are making this a very exciting basho overall, namely Shohozan, Ikioi, Yoshikaze, and Goeido. all of them have been consistently fun to watch.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Day 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_WwuBDkYRE

Today was pretty awesome.

Aran vs. Yoshikaze: god drat did they ever beat the poo poo out of each other. one of the better slapfights i've seen

Myogiryu vs. Shohozan: good match, and great effort from shohozan, but myogiryu still just looks a cut below. not sure if it's the pressure of the ozeki speculation getting to him or that he's not 100%, but whatever it is he's still just not himself right now

Masunoyama vs. Kotoshogiku: amazing. i can't believe masunoyama is still in it, let alone winning, let alone pulling off an upset like this. masunoyama is quickly becoming one of my favorites

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Anime Reference posted:

Aran vs. Yoshikaze: Sure looked like there was some hair-pulling going on there, was that just youtube res playing tricks on my eyes?

i saw the same thing. i guess it doesn't count unless you really grab a handful and yank with a purpose.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=128XK_JUjys

After Kotoshogiku beat Harumafuji, I was hoping for Kotooshu to beat Hakuho, even though I'm not the biggest Kotooshu fan, just to make sure there's some drama over the next 4 days... and lo and behold, it actually happened. I definitely didn't expect that.

Also, who could have predicted Chiyotairyuu being tied for second at this late stage? I know he's had somewhat easy competition, but 9-2 is good no matter what - even if he somehow loses his next 4, he's definitely establishing himself

a false fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 21, 2012

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Dr.Radical posted:

No posting of the January banzuke yet? Tsk tsk!

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx

Edit: I mean I would comment on it but I honestly haven't thought about sumo for most of December...

hopefully this one will be more exciting than the last one. nice to see shohozan at komusubi, hopefully he can hold it down.

going to be keeping an eye on iwasaki and osunaarashi in makushita, both making their debut there barely having lost at all in the other divisions (iwasaki has 1 loss, osunaarashi 2). if they both keep up their current pace they could be in makuuchi this year - probably not terribly likely that they make it past juryo so quickly but we'll see

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Funkysauce posted:

I am also now on the Miyabiyama bandwagon! hosed up heart? Nope eat poo poo, too much time off and I slide down, I'LL RISK DYING TO STAY UP HERE!

i think you mean Masunoyama.

Dr.Radical posted:

I think Osunaarashi will have a harder time going through makushita let alone juryo where I think he'll hit a wall.

i would have thought so until i saw his matches last basho, it seems like he's improved his yotsu game vastly and knows how to do something other than slap now. as long as he keeps working on his technique i think he'll be ok.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Day 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnSi8hIxfx0

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Funkysauce posted:

I agree, also like I said,leg injuries are tricky. He may still be afraid to really absorb shock and drive with that knee. If he can't plant then he's gonna need to start henka-ing or sidestepping and using his hip a lot more.

i think that's especially obvious since he literally holds that leg in the air as if he's afraid to put it down for almost the whole match. watch again and look how he hovers with it

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Tochiouzan vs. Kisenosato Tochiouzan really has a way of dispatching with ozeki... if only he could develop some consistency elsewhere. he's still pretty young though.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Why was Takanoyama's match shown on day 1, not in day 2, but then in day 3? I was under the impression that the uploaded videos showed all of the matches for the day. This could have been the case for some of the other sumo, but Takanoyama is the only sumo I'm specifically on the lookout for at this point.

if you (or anyone for that matter) ever want to see a given rikishi in a lower division's match for the day, here's your best resource:

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx

this is painstakingly updated and incredibly exhaustive and every single match (with the occasional hiccup in coverage) in every division has a video link

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Fryhtaning posted:

I have no idea what happened there to Baruto. It looked like he was being patient and was in control, and then all of a sudden Kakuryu bulldozed him out.

i think his injury is still really bothering him and is making it difficult for him to outlast anybody, or get a particularly great tachi-ai in.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
in the lower divisions, osunaarashi and iwasaki, two of the most interesting rikishi to watch in makushita, both won and improved to 3-0 yesterday... they face each other tomorrow. there's a pretty solid chance that whoever wins that match will end up capturing the makushita yusho, but i don't think that will be sufficient to move either of them up to juryo from the rank they're at currently. they could both be there by the end of the year though, and if they do really well could even end up in makuuchi. still a ways to go for that though.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
iwasaki's a college rikishi who has only lost once since leaving the college ranks - he could be on a very similar path to chiyotairyu, although he didn't get to debut as high on the banzuke as chiyotairyu did. another one to watch, on that note, is hamaguchi - he's still in sandanme but he also started out of college at the same time iwasaki did and he and iwasaki had a few very impressive bouts against each other to decide the yusho in jonokuchi and jonidan (iwasaki won both). hamaguchi's lost 3 times since college, all in his last basho but he's started off 3-0 in this one and it's pretty likely he ends up in makushita next basho.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Day 7:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_XgB-2lmWw

some really fantastic matches today. and a hair pull disqualification - when was the last time we saw one of those in makuuchi??

either way, best day so far. enjoy.

e:

and in osunaarashi news, he won his matchup with iwasaki today, and is now one of only two undefeated rikishi in makushita this basho. there were a lot of people who thought he was all hype thanks to his status as the first african rikishi and it looks like he's proving them all wrong. i think he'll definitely be in the sekitori ranks in 2013.

e2: actually, spoke too soon about him being only one of 2 undefeated in makushita - there are several rikishi who are at 3-0 and have yet to have their 4th match, he's one of only 2 who are at 4-0.

a false fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 19, 2013

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i thought takanoyama's henka was hilarious. just watching chiyonokuni fly clean off the screen like that... honestly, with a guy like takanoyama you've got to be ready for that. he at least does a bit of a sidestep most of the time, you should know better than do lunge headlong that way at the tachi-ai.

and i totally agree re: tochinoshin. what an excellent finish.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Day 9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkYlyIy77Xw

tokitenkuu: looks like he made a special effort to prove you right today, fryhtaning
takarafuji: he looks great. certainly wouldn't have picked him to have this kind of a record at this stage.
aoiyama: wow, two hair pull dq's in one basho after none in 2012... there were a few in 2012 that were close and not called though, perhaps they're cracking down
aran: you have got to be loving kidding me. maybe he was just trying to keep masunoyama from overexerting himself?
toyohibiki: glad to see him finally get a win after some very good efforts
kotooshu: continues to look totally uninspired when not kadoban.
baruto: not even close, fought with one leg off the ground again. i understand that he had to fight in order to give himself a chance of getting back to ozeki, but he really needs more time to heal.

overall, pretty good day of bouts. no truly amazing ones but definitely not boring.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i really hope baruto can win out but right now i'm not that optimistic, 4 wins in a row is a lot for a guy who's been laboring. i miss his ridiculous tsuridashis.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
big mistake by hakuho trying the pulldown so close to the edge against such a tall guy... however even if it had been successful, would have been a hansoku dq. totally blatant hair pull.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Day 13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JykZym_vJmo

shame i never got to see much of takamisakari in makuuchi, hope he enjoys his retirement
really disappointed that baruto won't remain ozeki, but maybe now that the pressure is off a little bit he can kind of lay back and wait to get to full health and then make a solid run to get back there. another silver lining is takayasu's win, he's still pretty young and although i've never seen him as someone who could potentially reach greater heights he's been very impressive this time around. always nice to have possible future ozeki contenders... i don't know if this basho alone proves he's in that echelon but it's a start
aran and goeido was fantastic. not much else to say about that one. a pleasure to watch.
certainly didn't see any indication that harumafuji is still hurting today. i'm rooting for another zensho yusho at this point.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i think shohozan still has a lot of good sumo ahead of him, he just got away from what works for him this tournament. he'll be back in the sanyaku ranks before long if he can ramp his tsuppari game back up.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
a few really entertaining matches today, including the tournament clincher. great resilience by kakuryu, i think that effort would have beaten anyone other than harumafuji. i'm pulling hard for his third zensho yusho in 4 tournaments tomorrow, hard to say how it will go though. no matter how good harumafuji has looked you can't count hakuho out.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Fryhtaning posted:

My kachi-kochi for the tournament in terms of my personal like\dislike - Harumafuji, Tochinoshin, Tokitenkuu, Aminishiki, Ikioi
Make-kochi - Shouhouzan, Kotoshogiku, Okinoumi, Yoshikaze, Myogiryu (has to do better than that or he'll just pingpong around the upper maegashira)
Everyone else about the same opinion as I started with - not going to judge Baruto or Masunoyama given their conditions.

Hell of a basho. Couple of kadobans avoided at the end, but also a couple of Ozeki dreams dashed. The deck seems to be getting reshuffled a bit, but doesn't appear to be any big drama or anticipation going into the next basho.

agreed on all counts but would add chiyotairyu to the kachi-koshi list - i think he's steadily improving and i think we'll see him get a crack at the sanyaku ranks before the year is out - how he does there is anyone's guess though.

speaking of the sanyaku ranks, it looks like they're already pretty much determined for next basho, with the sekiwake staying the same and aminishiki once again at komusubi. other than aminishiki, a lot of make-koshi at the top of the maegashira ranks, with ikioi at 5W the next highest maegashira with a winning record.

coming up from juryo, looks like we'll be seeing jokoryu, chiyonokuni, sagatsukasa, and maybe sotairyu. i'd like to see jokoryu stick around this time.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
mother of god, that move he makes that's shown in slo-mo around the 1:30 mark, holding onto his opponent and swinging out of the ring without touching down... that is just mindblowing.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

TotallyGreen posted:

The bigger problem, I think, is people faking injury when theyre having a bad basho. Thats why I dont think it should go away.

if it's there to prevent that and it doesn't prevent that, then what's the point? and where do you draw the line for who deserves a break?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
that actually would kind of own

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
what a throw by chiyotairyu... if that's a skill that remains in his arsenal, he's going places.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
as much as i like harumafuji, i'm very happy with that result. can't believe we're only 4 days in and it's already hakuho's tournament to lose, though

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
if osunaarashi gets a makushita yusho at MS7 he could concievably jump up to juryo next basho (but more likely MS1). if he keeps performing as he has, he could potentially end up in makuuchi before the end of the year. i hope it happens, it seems like he adds dimensions to his form every basho.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
kakuryuu sure did get lucky there. tochiozan had that bout, not sure what on earth compelled him to put himself out.

also, baruto just whipping tochinoshin around like that... it still blows my mind how strong he is. i can't imagine him not making ozeki again eventually if he stays healthy.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Day 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7M5393js0s

No shakiness from Harumafuji today. Made Tochinoshin look stupid with that henka attempt.

Kisenosato and Tochiozan was a hell of a bout, best of the basho so far I'd say. Tochiozan makes it interesting against the big guns almost every basho, but for whatever reason he can't find the consistency to take that next step and become a permanent fixture in the sanyaku ranks. He's only 26, so maybe he could still get there.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
oh and for anyone who is interested, Osunaarashi, the first African sumo wrestler (from Egypt), is currently 2-0 at his highest makushita position yet. If he goes 7-0 he could potentially end up in juryo next basho, but more likely just jump to MS1. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in the sekitori ranks before the end of the year. He's only registered 5 losses in his career thus far.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Uncle Jam posted:

The only thing is that Harumafuji seems always kind of shaky. Maybe if one of the Ozeki doesn't step up over the next year or so there might be no yokozuna around...

Lately, yeah. In his run up to yokozuna with the consecutive zensho yusho he looked pretty much infallible.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Funkysauce posted:

What does Baruto need to do to regain Ozeki? Also, I'm still rooting hard for Masunoyama, anyone performing at his level with a hosed up ticker is always gonna be a great guy to cheer for.

I think he needs to do what any non-Ozeki sanyaku rikishi would have to do at this point, which is amass 30 wins over the course of 3 basho. Also, I love Masunoyama and his spirit but I would really like for him to get his heart ailment fixed because when he eventually keels over and dies post-bout it's going to be a huge bummer.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Digger posted:

I'm going to be in attendance on Wednesday, a complete first time experience. What can I expect throughout the day? I understand the main men don't start until later in the evening. Is there any up and coming future stars to keep an eye out for?

the most hyped guy outside of the top 2 tiers is almost certainly Osunaarashi, currently in the 8th position in the 3rd tier (makushita). he's the first African professional rikishi and he's barely lost since entering the ranks. a lot of guys flame out around that position but he's started this tournament 2-0 and his form keeps improving. i'm not sure if he'll be wrestling the day you're there. another guy I like in the makushita ranks is Masutoo, a Hungarian who has been powering back up the ranks after taking a year off. Makushita might be his peak but he's fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
fantastic matches today, particularly kakuryu vs. hakuho.

in other news, osunaarashi is 6-0 in makushita and needs one more win to at least secure a playoff for the yusho (the only other makushita competitor at 6-0 is MS43 Taiga, a mongolian veteran who's never made it past MS27). he has to be considered the odds-on favorite to lock that yusho up, however he has to face a juryo competitor (akiseyama) on day 13 first.