Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Are there any decent write-ups online for the lower divisions?

I'm curious about who is considered up-and-coming and was watching previous year's matches for Ishiura (who has just come up to Juryo) and Shodai (who will probably bump up after this basho).

I couldn't find anything (in English) about expectations for these guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

...Sumo Talk...

I like reading Sumo Talk, just for the crazy. Plus, they actually can have some good analysis - when not crapping on about yao cho.

That said, my favorite recent crazy is this:

Mike Wesemann posted:

I believe Takarafuji is currently being used as a pawn by his stable master to compensate for the Isegahama-beya having two Mongolian Yokozuna. Remember, the rule is in place that each stable can only have one foreign rikishi, but when the Magaki-beya was dissolved, they had to merge it with Isegahama, and so out of nowhere Terunofuji just fell into Isegahama's lap.

I'm basing this speculation on my knowledge of Japanese culture, but I believe Isegahama feels guilty for having two dominate foreigners in the current landscape of sumo (the best term in Japanese for this guilty feeling would be "moushi wake nai." As a result of his owning 50% of the dominant group in sumo, I believe he is trying to compensate for that by giving up wins through his other rikishi. There's no doubt that Terunofuji and Harumafuji will also defer in key bouts, but I think Takarafuji has gotten caught in the middle of the politics surrounding sumo.

...largely because I'm fond of Takarafuji and wish he'd be more aggressive.

Osunaarashi has improved incredibly over this year. Once he figures he doesn't need to be slappy-slappy and can wrestle well on the on the belt, he'll be nigh unstoppable.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

a false posted:

also i think i mentioned this before and it might have been linked, but here's his post on sumoforum from 2009 looking to get hooked up with a stable http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19091#entry178894

pretty cool

That is pretty cool.

Kanthulhu posted:

I like Oosunaraashi. I'm not sure he does very well against sanyaku and higher ranks.

He doesn't at the moment, but his matches in the last basho against the top of the banzuke were pretty solid. While he lost most of them, it looks like he's slowly figuring out how to fight at that level.

Also, for a bit of pointless fun, you can "cheer" for your favorite rikishi on the Japanese NSK website:

http://www.sumo.or.jp/ouen/ranking/all

You can cheer for 3 wrestlers a day. Its obviously in Japanese but its fairly obvious what you need to do. I like being puzzled by who is the most popular - Tamawashi and Sadanoumi did well last basho.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

An excellent start for Yoshikaze. Feeling a bit disappointed in Kakuryu though.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

No zabutons went flying for Osunaarashi's win. Are they nailed down in Fukuoka?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kinda looked like he was going for a Harumafuji half-henka, expecting Yoshikaze to hit him, but not as hard. He looked surprised when Yoshikaze hit the deck.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Poor Shikimori Inosuke - apparently he's been suspended for 3 days for miscalling the Hakuho match. That's his second this basho and third in the past two.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

They mentioned on the live broadcast that Hakuho must've been reading up on Mainoumi's techniques.

He mentioned on his twitter that he wanted to try it once. I think that's why he didn't just blast Tochiozan out straight away.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Fryhtaning posted:

I'm starting to think Aminishiki is an epic troll. Dashes the best Japanese chance for a yusho on day 15 in Kyushu with an evasive move, henkas the guy who is always the best Japanese shot at a yusho on day 1 of this basho, and yet doesn't try any funny business against the yokozunae or mid/lower maegashira.

Maybe, but I reckon he knows exactly who he can henka and who he can't. Hakuho keeps his eyes open and is much too fast. I can't recall Kakuryu being henka'd recently. The Japanese ozekis tend to have their heads down at tachi-ai so are more prone. Always surprised Kotoshogiku isn't henka'd more.

Anyway, Shodai is looking to be off to a good start. Seems comfortable pulling moves right on the tawara.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I wish Takarafuji would be more aggressive. He's got power, he just rarely uses it. He should watch Harumafuji more closely.

And silly Tochinoshin - he looked like he had the Giku out for a Terunofuji-styles kimidashi, but decided to change grips and lost his momentum.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

In all fairness, Gagamaru could lose some wait too - at the moment, his nemesis is lateral movement, though he seems to be coping better with it this basho.

Don't see him dropping weight - unless he gets too fat to open his fridge and get some natto...

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Fryhtaning posted:

As someone who has eaten natto, I think that a natto diet would be an excellent way to lose weight. Open the fridge, say "gently caress that", and go drink some water instead.

I meant to share this absolute gem of a video last week. It's essentially a song written to get kids interested in sumo, and this year they got a lot of the sekitori to participate in a video. It's so goddamn :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQYkuwkHecs

I can't find it but there was a video of Gagamaru on some Japanese panel show - he LOVES natto apparently. Unfortunately he also LOVES Korean BBQ and ramen!

Ikioi sung the jinku songs before he was sekitori but apparently he really likes enka:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofZ7sX1OKVM

They must have done the Hakkeyoi video while Harumafuji was in hospital because he's got a pretty good voice too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRmtR-Q8xkg

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

anakha posted:

Chiyootori + the impatient gyoji in red is always hilarious for me for some reason.

Chiyootori and Kimura Konosuke (red gyoji) are both from Kokonoe-beya, too, which adds just a little bit more to the interaction.

Prediction: Hakuho avoids all physical contact with Kotoshigiku with a clever series of nekodamashi and inashi, until Kotoshigiku drops from sheer exhaustion.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Day 11 spoiler from the future:

WOW. I really did not expect that Kotoshogiku might be the first Japanese rikishi to win a tournament in so many years. Hakuho was a big hurdle but I could still see him losing again before the tournament is over, maybe even twice. If it comes down to a playoff, I don't see him winning, but I also didn't see him winning today's match. Goddamn what a match!!! Couldn't help but post about it.

Hakuho was the biggest barrier, but Harumafuji is still there. The numbers are in Kotoshigiku's favour but Harumafuji has been beating him more recently. I fear he may relax too much and gently caress up. At the worst, he'll probably end up in a play off. I've been avoiding Sumo Talk this basho, but I can just imagine the furore over this match!

In other news, Tochinoshin's face was glorious as he fronted up to Kotoyuki before the tachi-ai.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Edit: Re: Chiyotairyu and Kotoyuki, Kotoyuki is generally a bit more dramatic than other rikishi. I seem to remember a particularly dramatic pre-bout stare-down between him and Shohouzan. I might be thinking of someone else, though. But either way, I'm a Kotoyuki fan. Guys like that just make everything more fun.

Kotoyuki is pretty entertaining - my head-canon is that he thinks his life is an anime.

Today, especially. The henka-er becomes the henka-ed!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I think the worst bit about the sumotalk/climate change thing was that it was based on his inability to distinguish between "weather" and "climate".

It just heavily underlined for me a lack of actual analysis skills.

I recommend just following the rikishi on Twitter instead. Much better for your mental health.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

The important thing to remember is that Kotoyuki's now high enough on the banzuke to fight 'bark' at and get smashed by Hakuho.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

For some reason the volume numbers are not in chronological order. There's a compilation of all the Yokozuna dohyoiri somewhere in there too that is pretty interesting.

Is it labelled as a compilation of dohyo-iri or is just in one of the volumes?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Cool, I'll have a poke then.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Yeah, there were a bunch of pretty solid bouts.

Good to see Terunofuji back.

Kotoshogiku came out like a rocket - so fast! Impressed Takayasu held him off for so long.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kotoyuki barked at Hakuho then matta'd him and it was beautiful.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

If I was Kotoyuki, I'd say it was well worth it. I reckon if he hadn't fallen off the dohyo he may have got an Ichinojo-sized slap as well.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Fryhtaning posted:

Almost nobody is off their game right now. The start to this basho has been unreal. Even Goeido looks strong, even if he's still pulling a bit too much.

Even Ichinojo seems to be showing some spirit - not a huge amount but more than we've seen recently.

I hope Kotoyuki's post bout interview gets posted somewhere. The camera goes to XTREME close-up as he tries to hold in the feels.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-0VVR-Wl0g&t=488s

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 16, 2016

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

MrSmokes posted:

Hakuho you a dick

It doesn't excuse it by any means, but he seemed super angry at his own unelegant performance rather than at Okinoumi.

Astrotrain posted:

Love seeing rikishi get emotional like this.

I'm not really a fan of either Kotoyuki or Gagamaru for their sumo prowess, but I love when they try and be all stoic but fail. My head canon is that Kotoyuki believes he lives in an anime.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I didn't notice it watching it live, but on the Kintamayama video, it sounds like someone is giving a slow, sarcastic clap after every bout.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

They do mix it up though if someone lower down the banzuke is in the yusho race in the early days. Often, they let them get kachikoshi before matching them up with someone near the top of the banzuke. I guess Ikioi is close enough to the top that he will fight some ozeki and a yokozuna or two in the natural course of things anyway.

Look at Ikioi's bouts from Aki basho last year:

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi_basho.aspx?r=6491&b=201509

He fought a bunch of dudes around his level, was doing well, then got tossed to the joi.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

anakha posted:

E: Ikioi-Kisenosato wins MOTN, although Harumafuji-Sokokurai was also pretty good.

BTW, is Terunofuji kadoban right now due to his January basho record?

Goeido pushing to stay ozeki by hook or by crook. :lol:

Excellent recovery by Kotoshogiku.

Was that Yoshikaze's blood on Hakuho there at the end?

I'm kinda growing fond of Sokokurai - partially because he looks like Rowan Atkinson, but also he seems a bit of a quiet achiever. Apparently when he first went to Japan, he had trouble with the diet and would eat yoghurt with his rice as he acclimatized.

Yes, Terunofuji is kadoban - sucks because you don't really choose to be injured.

And yes, that was his blood - he copped a massive forearm on the tachi-ai. He was bleeding a bit yesterday too, probably didn't help...

e:fb, dammit.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

anakha posted:

Okinomi-Tochinoshin was my pick for MOTN, but Harumafuji-Ikioi gave it a run for its money.

Nah, quite clearly MOTN was

Sweater-black skivvy.

Fryhtaning posted:

e: I'll tell you one thing I like about Kisenosato's sorta-henka. It shows he actually wants to win. Giku's yusho has clearly lit a fire under his rear end.

He seems consistently focused this basho. He normally has that facial tick when he's feeling the pressure, but he's been pretty calm.

I'd say it was a Harumafuji half-henka, if that. The replay clearly shows heads bonking. Kisenosato can actually move when he needs to!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

anakha posted:

I literally went :stare: when Takarafuji picked up Tochinoshin like a baby.

Takarafuji is pretty loving strong - according to Sanoyama-oyakata (ex Chiyotaikai), he bench presses 230kg and I'm sure I've seen an equally crazy deadlift figure somewhere too.

Its easy to forget though, he tends to fight fairly defensively.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

What would need to go wrong that we end with a Kotoyuki yusho?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

Kotoyuki's best chance would be winning his remaining two matches, have Hakuho lose both of his, Kisenosato and Goeido and Ikioi lose at least one. Then he'd have to win at least one playoff match.

I know its stupidly unlikely, but the way he's been going this basho, I wouldn't be entirely surprised.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Some sad news - Chiyonofuji died.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2016/07/31/sumo/sumo-icon-chiyonofuji-dies-61/

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I knew he had cancer, but I had the impression he was getting past it.

Gonna miss his flashy jackets in the NHK commentary box.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

No mage cutting ceremony, unfortunately. Hope for the best!

I read somewhere (Twitter or sumoforum) that he had a danpatsu shiki with family before undergoing treatment so at least he'd have his mage if he wasn't able to wrestle again.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

anakha posted:

Kisenosato has his best chance to yusho now. Hope he doesn't gently caress it up this time.

Jinxed it!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Was flicking through Ishiura's twitter to see if there was anything about his workout regime and found this from when he was 16:

https://twitter.com/ghetto_stone/status/739845440498061312

Uncle Jam posted:

Also he's in the same heya as Hakuho.

From what I understand, Hakuho actually scouted him himself. At least, Hakuho usually refers to him as his apprentice (内弟子) in his tweets.

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 24, 2016

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

And if you like little pictures (especially Takayasu's magnificent mage rising from the bottom of your browser window...):

http://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke

Man, something real nice about that banzuke.

No surprises, true, but good to see Osunaarashi back in makuuchi.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I like to imagine he gets all the cheat codes from Hakuho.

EDIT: if you have twitter, Inside Sport Japan (@InsideSportJP) is tweeting a whole bunch of photos and videos from training in the various heyas. The Sumo Association (@sumokyokai) has a bunch of pics for the yearly practice-in-front-of-the-suits-dooby.

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 29, 2016

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Yeah, its definitely his photography. I thought he had a personal twitter, but a brief glance at who I follow tells me I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

They didn't show the replay of Arawashi and Hakuho on the live stream, but I'm convinced he went in with a plan. He knew he couldn't straight up get Hakuho and he'd be punished mightily for a henka, so he threw a Harumafuji Special as bait, then Harumafuji Specialed the response.