Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ok so a 20mm prime on a m4/3 might be useless for bird photography, but it does allow you to stumble on things like this!

(click for huge)

like, literally stumble, I nearly walked into him. When he didn't move (much), I just aimed and hoped for the best! I tried cropping but somehow I feel it lost something of the effect when I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Aren't these one of the most dangerous animals in NA? How are you alive?

DEET and a bug hat

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

for the benefit of any Antipodeans like Slavvy, deer=kangaroos. I know you don't have those either, but they're probably more familiar.

As for actual giant rodents: I found these guys snacking in a Toronto park the other day!

Beaver(s)! by kingdugga, on Flickr

Beaver! by kingdugga, on Flickr

P1030826.jpg by kingdugga, on Flickr

P1030821.jpg by kingdugga, on Flickr

Beaver! by kingdugga, on Flickr

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Those beavers are amazing, how close do they let you get?

And yeah comparing them to roos makes sense because they're both idiot animals who happily leap into the path of your vehicle AFAIK.

We were probably around 20m (66') from them, roughly. Possibly a little closer. They have notoriously bad eyesight, but they were definitely Not Bothered. They were moving pretty slowly too, like they'd woken up from a deep sleep, which they probably had. It was in an urban park, so they are probably used to people coming and going.

e- Bonus GIF!

(moving about twice as fast as real life)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 13, 2015

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Wildlife Photography: rear end in a top hat Animals making GBS threads Up Nature

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Moon Potato posted:

I watched the gently caress out of that. It's easily some of the best wildlife cinematography I've seen.

My debut as a camera operator for the BBC Natural History Unit just aired. It's on iPlayer now for anyone in Britain or using a proxy plugin:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06vpb86
I shot the opening segment and some of the narration/B-roll around the coast.

Some animal portraits from the Sequoia Park Zoo from yesterday:

River otter

Bush dog

Muntjac

I don't know what a bush dog is, but it looks pissed. Yeah, The Hunt was fantastic, I loved the Arctic one. It was a shame that iplayer mpeg compression couldn't handle the huge flocks of birds and schools of fish, collapsing into a blocky mess.
Will definitely check out the episode you shot on, the first one was pretty fun.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Sweet. exif?

No, grizzly.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

There's one at Point Reyes, CA as well, which is a good place for birds too.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A Coati, in Panama

P1010960.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1010962.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I went to Kruger National Park in South Africa at the beginning of the month. It is a magical place, and I highly recommend it to anyone who's not interested in expensive and all expense paid safari vacations. We rented a car in Nelspruit and put 1500km on it in 10 days.

P1040248 (2) by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1040571 (2) by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1040698 (2) by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1040049 (2) by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1040486 (2) by King Dugga, on Flickr

There were so many animals, and I wish I'd shot some video, but here's a small sample. There were plenty of elephant and giraffe as well, but I don't want to photo dump. There were lion as well, but this was the best photo (but not the best look) I got of one.

Spot the Lion by King Dugga, on Flickr

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

freddiestarfish posted:

No mamma bear, we think it had perhaps just left her.

_DSC1784
by Lee Royle, on Flickr

Goats are wildlife too.

That's a gorgeous composition!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

Just got back from Alaska looking for some bears. Good news, they still have bears there! Here's a couple of them:

I don't know if you guys are talking about the original overcooked image that was posted or the latest version. I like the latest version, but there is a very blue tint to it. Blown sky and snow is pretty hard to escape when your subject is that dark, especially when not shooting raw.

Where did you go in Alaska? How did you get around? We've been thinking of heading up there to see birds and bears.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

strap on revenge posted:

i really struggled on a tiny boat in moderate swell but the image stabilisation in my cheap zoom lens did a good enough job that at least a couple of shots came out decent enough for me to want to share:

The city skyline backdrop on these is incredible! ~~juxtaposition!~~

Might as well post my whales too. Only cropped, no processing because I've been lazy. Taken in between hurling into a plastic bag. Common dolphins, a striped dolphin, and some Fin whales.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Atlatl posted:

Those are some cool snow shots.

I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

When Momma and two cubs run out of dandelions on one side of the road, and decide to walk in front of your car to the other side, you can't not take a picture. Lucky for the bears, there was only us and two other cars on the road, it was a quiet road in a provincial park. Mom was radio collared, and the girl at the camp shop said "Oh yeah, that's 193, she's our local bear".

P1080183 by King Dugga, on Flickr

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I have the same reaction to kale.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

My friend asked me for advice for a telephoto lens for a safari next year. I don't really have any more details except it will be a trip with her family to South Africa (so probably not an itinerary with a super-draconian weight limit but I don't know that for sure), and I think she has a ~4 year old Nikon crop body and some sort of entry level 70-300. If it was Canon I'd probably recommend the 100-400L mk2 and then figure out what Sigma is closest to that, but I don't know Nikon. Is the 200-500 Nikon too big to be an easy travel lens? What are good options now around the 100-400 range? I can post in the Nikon thread but I figured I'd ask here first.

My partner and I went to Kruger a couple of years ago, flying in to Nelspruit from Jo'burg and renting a car. She had her Canon crop body with 400mm f5.6, which is about as big as you want for carry-around weight and maneuverability. I had my m43 with 15mm and 60mm macro. We did carry-on only for luggage and were fine. One thing to bear in mind is you cannot leave your vehicle, so beanbag on the door sill, shooting out a window is all you can do outside the camps. If you're on a safari truck, same deal, and you don't want to be conking people in the head with a huge 600mm or something. Honestly, the reach was good for a lot of things, but in Kruger the animals are BIG and CLOSE, so there were a number of times where she could get a great picture of a giraffe or elephant eyeball, but had no chance on the whole beast. My 120mm equivalent Olympus came in handy a lot. So like you said, for Canon the 100-400L would be perfect, but for Nikon, it looks like there's a 80-400 F4.5-5.6 which would probably be even more ideal, if your friend can stomach the $2k price. Or get the better 70-300 with a 1.4x teleconverter.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

Wow, that's pretty awesome.

I played around with an older photo. Does this work?

I knew I'd seen something like this recently. Deloitte Canada has this whole "disrupting the bear" ad campaign running on the UP Express airport train in Toronto.
Lots of bear imagery, including things like this:

Maybe you could sell your photo to whoever is running the campaign? Get in on some of that Big Finance moneys.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DSCF0977 (2) by King Dugga, on Flickr

DSCF0987 by King Dugga, on Flickr

DSCF1035 (2) by King Dugga, on Flickr

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

charliebravo77 posted:

Huh, the mountain goats I've encountered in the Colorado Rockies have been very chill and didn't seem to be fazed by humans at all. This guy wandered over to my campsite and just munched on grass and hung around 20 yards away at times. Don't get me wrong, I definitely give wildlife ample room and am fully aware that even a whitetail deer can severely gently caress up your day. Wonder why the Enchantment goats are particularly aggressive in comparison to what I've seen.

Yeah the ones I've seen in the Canadian rockies are pretty nonplussed about tourists taking photos of them eating lunch and will wander through town sometimes. Goats will knock heads with stuff just for fun though, so I wouldn't want to surprise one.
(lovely photo btw. You can feel the atmosphere in it)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 18, 2021

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Swarmin Swedes posted:

I am in Kenya for 6 weeks and had my first chance really shooting wildlife. Was wondering what I could do to improve my shots for my next time I get to do a game drive in about 2 weeks. I tried to get a mix of environmental shots and closer in portraiture but am totally out of my depth on how to improve my shots.

Honestly I love the lighting in this. It's like a Renaissance painting. If you have the luxury, like if it's already cropped, possibly a little wider shot to get more of the surroundings in could work, but for something not staged or posed, this is excellent.
The cheetah and tree is great, personally I would crop just a little of the right side of the image to make the tree and cat equidistant from the edges. I don't think you'd ever get the tree sharp even with a bigger focal plane, just because of heat haze.
Taking shots of wild animals in wild environments, I think the key thing is first of all, get the shot. Frame it as well as you can, if you've got a zoom, get a few wide and a few zoomed shots, and then crop mercilessly once you have the time to get the framing right. It's what has worked for me.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

We were around RMNP last month and I would have loved to hang out around the burn scar because it was fascinating, but the rangers are pretty dedicated at booting people from the side of the road. As such I couldn't wait for a more flattering elk shot, but I still kinda dig the return of life to a ruined landscape. If anyone's in the region I recommend going, it's fascinating right now (in the national park you can't really explore the burn, but the nearby national forest has open roads, we spent a day in the Stillwater Pass area and loved it).

Then I saw a cute little pika.

And finally an elk with a pretty nice rack. :pervert:

I'm kinda unsure about this one, there's no eye, probably too many out of focus branches, and I could only get an angle from this single spot. But I kinda like the less common angle so it kinda works?

And apparently I like squares.

That environment would make for some really stark but beautiful photos! (that reminds me, I need to check the photos I took in kananaskis a few weeks back.)
I'm a big fan of cropping to whatever shape suits the composition best, rather than feeling locked to 3:2. Square often looks good for animals, I guess it's the portrait kind of aspect to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DSCF2661 by King Dugga, on Flickr

I got a slightly better composed shot of these guys, but unfortunately they're just slightly out of focus. They were eating grit in the road and this was a slow drive-by shooting of them so I couldn't get picky.