Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Got a lucky shot on a whale watching boat. I only had a lowly 60D/135L, but having a lens on the wide side was actually nice for catching shots of the whales breaching, since there's no warning when or where they pop up. Some kid had a 5d3/200-400f/4L, and his kit was so bulky and heavy that he had trouble aiming it in time when a breach happened. My shots turned out a lot better than his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Wish there were more DOF on the frog and the slugs, but they look great!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Nice fox pics! They look a little underexposed though.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

:stonk:

:stonk::stonk::stonk:

Was this a fresh kill?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Not really wildlife, but pigs are a rarer sight for me than deer.

5B4A9091 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

It looks like a tree to me. They're all great shots, and I'm jealous of you guys who have gone to Africa.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

You guys with your moose and caribou shots are making me jealous.

I was looking at birds that all vanished when I picked up my telephoto. But there were some bees flying around. Would've been sharper if I'd taken off my 2x extender, but I was still pleasantly surprised.

bee by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Grumpy sea lion by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Monarch butterflies by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Deer are kinda boring, but it's still cool to run into them in a forest.

Deer by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Gray whale by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Great shot! But, uh, bears at 200mm? Isn't that a range where you start to worry about getting mauled?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Did you set up a blind to get that close?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

^^ Where did you go? Did you get any good shots?

Here's a cool example of non-gimmicky usage of light painting:
http://thesmallermajority.com/2012/07/08/improvising-with-light/

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Verman posted:

I convinced her to let me purchase a new lens (Canon 70-200 2.8) and a Sony RX100m2 for the trip. I don't know how I would have done it without a telephoto. I wish I had some more reach (200mm on a canon 50d body) but the 70-200 2.8 is more practical for my uses than a slower 300mm or any huge 400mm lenses. I also shoot weddings so it was important to me to buy something that I could use after the safari.

drat, you did great with 200mm! If you go on another wildlife trip, it'd probably be worth renting an extender for your telephoto.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

William T. Hornaday posted:

If there's anything that my job has taught me, it's that Americans are complete morons when it comes to understanding animals.

This guy used to be my friend's teacher:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIFBOXHHXOA

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Is there going to be a followup shot in the food photography thread?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I like the comments from crazy people.

quote:

Sorry to say, this is not a picture I would have picked of a pretty animal being killed. Disappointed in judges decision!!!! Giving a life is nothing to win a prize over even if an animal!!!!!! Made me sick first time I saw it. Pick something more beautiful and pleasant next time!!!!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I bet they got like 6 entries for the plant category.

Apparently there are middle school kids who have taken shots that blow the poo poo out of anything in my portfolio.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I guess there are worse things you could drag your kids along for, but what's weird for me is seeing kids with glitzy websites with prints for sale and poo poo. Like they're already trotting out a 12 year old as a brand.

I think I had a website at that age, but it a ship guide to Wing Commander 3 or something.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

800peepee51doodoo posted:

which loving owns hard and totally should have won imo

Giving a life is nothing to win a prize over even if an animal!!!!!! Made me sick first time I saw it. Pick something more beautiful and pleasant next time!!!!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrps!

Sceloporus olivaceus by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Agkistrodon contortrix laticinctus by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

ExecuDork posted:

Squirrels are rats with furry tails. No mammal is truly vegetarian (mother's milk pedantry aside), anything furry will happily have blood running down its face given the opportunity. Chipmunks apparently are important predators of Warblers, and high-grade by eating the brains first when they raid a nest with hatchlings. Cute and Fuzzy is highly compatible with Bloodthirsty.

The same goes for most birds - they're just the descendents of dinosaurs too hard-core to be killed by something as trifling as a world-shaking comet impact.

Apparently large slugs can also eat baby birds. I never knew that.

edit: Also deer.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/field-cameras-catch-deer-eating-birds-wait-why-do-deer-1689440870

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 29, 2016

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Pablo Bluth posted:

WPY 2016 winner announced.

Probably the best winner in a few years.

The youth winner is a killer shot too, especially for being a photo of a crow with some inexpensive gear.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I almost never photograph mammals. It feels weird to photograph animals that are kind of big, and also aren't afraid to approach you. I was too lazy to take the extender off my bird telephoto, so I ended up having to run away from foxes to get them to mostly fit within the frame.

Common dolphin by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Island fox by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

If anyone visits DC, be sure to check out the wildlife photography exhibit in the Smithsonian. It's pretty :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:

Also some of the shots were taken with pretty old gear. There's one shot with a Rebel, and one with a 20D.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

DJExile posted:

This seems as good a place as any to dump a bunch of poo poo I learned spending a week on safari in Tanzania between Arusha, Tarangiere National Park, Ngorongoro Crater, and Serengeti National Park. Here's some dumb gay advice from a bad photographer. Take it or leave it.

Good info, thanks. I'm making my first trip to Africa next month.

Spotted salamander by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Four-toed salamander by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

DJExile posted:

You're welcome! :cheers: where you headed?

10 days each in Mozambique and Madagascar :dance:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Brown lemur by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Bamboo lemur by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

African wild dog by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Lemurs mostly come out when the lighting is backlit overcast, and they will spend most of the time concealed behind a clump of leaves with their butts pointed at you.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Are these from the wild? Whoa!

The lemurs were wild, but the wild dog was part of a pack that's getting reintroduced into a country where they've gone extinct. They had them in a pen to acclimatize to the new environment before releasing them.

Most of the lemur pics I got were on the side of the road. Lemurs can move insanely fast through the trees, so they don't give a poo poo about humans on the ground.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The color temperature seems a little off in the bison photo, like it's too blue. Being able to tweak that is one of the most useful features about shooting raw.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

:stare: drat!

Panthera leo by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Loxodonta africana by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Hippopotamus amphibius by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Calumma parsonii by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

These are great. There's something almost unnerving about the elephant that makes me want to keep looking at it. I think my eye is using the branches and bush in the foreground to try to make sense of the scale, which makes the elephant look smaller than it should, or something. It's a fantastic animal-in-landscape (as the others are too).

Thanks! Our driver got way closer to the elephant than I expected. My best lens for it turned out to be a 100mm macro. :shrug:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

DorianGravy posted:

Loads of great stuff in the past couple pages, but I especially like this one:

How'd you get such nice soft colors? Is it just the time of day?

Thanks! The softness is because I was shooting into a sunset with a shitload of light bouncing off the water

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Paid a visit to Aņo Nuevo State Park north of Santa Cruz yesterday for the Elephant Seals. It's the season when you need to go in with a guided walk so there's frustratingly little time for photography once you get out there, but it's still worth it. I went with my father in law who grew up in Northern California but somehow had never been. We signed up for the last slot in the day. Challenging light but probably more interesting than bright overhead beach sun.

Yeah I went twice in one day the last time I was there

Apparently they have special days geared towards photographers where you can just hang out on the beach for a few hours

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Shooting caiman from a boat at night was an interesting experience. They submerge if they see too much light, so you only have time to bang away for a moment before they disappear.

Paleosuchus trigonatus by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Caiman crocodilus? by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Does anyone shoot from a kayak or packraft? I see so many birds when I'm paddling, the views are usually much better than I'd get on land. I ordered an R5 and I think the 800mm f/11 lens is next on my list so I'd have a relatively compact bird setup. What would a good drybag look like? Something that's big enough to fit the equipment but still easy to open quickly...something like this maybe? https://www.drybags.com/product/aleutian-deck-bag/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Yeah, I won't risk a big white telephoto on a boat, but I've gotten decent results with a 70-300 and want a bit more reach. The combination of reach and portability of the RF lenses is just too irresistible if I happen to come across a kingfisher or something in broad daylight.