Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands
As a whole, I don't think Nike's going to do anything as crazy as their one-offs for college teams. Instead, you'll see more of what they did with Washington State. With Wazzu, they put their uniforms in the 21st century, without being too garish. A good example is what you saw with the logo from the Panthers' gloves. Carolina's logomark is slightly updated without making it unrecognizable.

I am not beyond Nike to make one-off jerseys to help sales for their brand as well as each team. Instead of doing something ridiculous with say Houston's Battle Red, they'll focus on throwback-inspired choices. The AFL uniforms are popular (Pat Patriot, say) or at least provoke some discussion (Denver's University of Wyoming look). Perhaps there will be some more interesting designs, but you're not gonna see some crazy fonts and gradients on the Bears uniform.

The move to Nike makes a lot of sense, especially with its popularity among the players themselves. Here's something to ponder: Reebok's biggest athletes for their Reezig campaign are Peyton Manning, Chad Ochocinco, and Sidney Crosby. None of them having particularly great individual years, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I want to see some metalic helmets on certain teams. The Titans with chrome helmets, Impossible to say for sure until you see it but I like the idea.

Oh, and scrap the current Cowboys uniform. Ugly and no one piece matches the other.

Probably gonna get some matte helmets.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

NattyBo posted:

So is there an official release date for the new Nike stuff?

I can post some 100% fake Skins pro combat mockups if anyone cares lol

Nike's making their debut in April, so the draft will be the first time to see them in Action. Except Oakland.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

NattyBo posted:

Oh cool, so presumably we'll at least see the new shirts by/on April 26th

I think the only changes you'll see when Andrew Luck takes the stage is a Nike swoosh and maybe going back to the NFL shield instead of NFL Players Equipment in the collar. Gloves are probably the most outlandish thing.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Came to post that. They're all the same design with team-appropriate colorways. Meh.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Almo posted:

This actually almost happened

http://chancemichaels.tripod.com/packers_index.html

thank goodness

Looks like Notre Dame

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Good Will Punting posted:

These new jerseys are seriously going to be the loving Web 2.0 of football.

e: New Era is doing head wear? The "Sideline" knits/fitteds this season were nice, but this could be pretty awesome.

The new jerseys aren't going to be ridiculous. You'll see them made out of a lighter-weight material. The Pro Combat System of Dress (seriously what it's called) is about lightweight material and generally helping increase performance.

New Era doing hats is a step in the right direction, though NFL hats are hard to do unless you have a great helmet logo.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Football hats are kind of hard to do, especially when you have a team like the Browns. Guess we'll see the new Panthers and Seahawks stuff next month?

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

my hat has a picture of other hats on it.

-purchaser of that hat ca. 2012

I thought they did it because the Vikings logo alone on a standard cap looks kind of stupid, sort of like how I mentioned the Browns (or the Bengals). Then I noticed they had a Ravens one.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Probably because AIG wanted the world to see what their new jerseys looked like for advertising purposes.

Most of the NFL teams aren't going to have redesigns. The only teams without New Era hats right now are the Panthers (we know why) and the Seahawks, who will be getting some slight adjustments.

e: Did a quick search and someone found the adjustment to the Seahawks' logo. They're gonna keep the modern look but add a touch of the grey from the old uniforms.
http://www.pigskinbuzz.com/new-seahawks-logo-leaks-on-madden-13-facebook-page-2266

Heaf fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 28, 2012

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

AdamD posted:

im really really dreading this

It's going to be a Jets Uniform with a Nike Swoosh.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

squarerandom posted:

Am I the only one hoping Nike comes out with some good decent looking team shoes? Reebok had some horrid all white with a tiny logo on the side. I want some sweet shoes to go with all my clothes and etc.

Nike released some cleat designs around the Pro Bowl, if that's what you're talking about.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

squarerandom posted:

No like regular sneakers or so to wear for work or to the game/home while watching.

Didn't know those even existed. You could go to NikeiD and get a variety of shoes in your team's colors.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Almo posted:

doesn't look terribly different

They shouldn't. Mostly those minor tweaks to Seattle (gray pants???) and Carolina

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Schwack posted:

I think the biggest changes are the swaps to Nike gear all around. They're changing things like socks and pants to offer more padding and what not. The explanation I was given was that Reebok basically just used a tube sock. Nike has some form fitted stuff with padding in certain places and more support etc.

Pretty much. Nike is going to outfit the whole league in Pro Combat System of Dress (that's what it's called).

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

MissileWaster posted:

It's Bleacher Report, so I'm going to assume it's fake until I see the real thing.

Those are just "mockups from around the web"

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

You can buy Nike and New Era stuff at http://www.nflshop.com/home/index.jsp now! Jerseys on sale April 15.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Mcqueen posted:

That sure is some boring poo poo. Is it a rule that football caps must either be as nutty and ugly as possible or the team name in boring letters and colors?

A good hat for the Seahawks (or most teams really) would probably be the one that says SEAHAWKS but 59/50 with a larger/more proportionate logo. A grey alternate seems really likely because of that slight logo change.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Schwack posted:

I guess it's a play on the "I love my Ducks" thing, but the imagery doesn't really work well here.

Those shirts exist for all 32 teams. Helmets don't look hearts, really.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Hazo posted:

So are the Seahawks apparently the only dudes with drastic changes since Nike is right next door?

Have a feeling the Seahawks jerseys won't be as drastically changed as some think. The color change, maybe that accent down the middle of the helmet. Carolina also had a change, but it was minor.

Didn't think about Seattle being the "home" team for Nike, though it makes sense. Nike has a lot more freedom in the NCAA, so I think they'll take most of their uniform changes there until a team requests a rebranding.

Could see Tennessee, Denver, Tampa (?) and the whoever goes to LA getting new/redesigned kits.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Demon Of The Fall posted:

What the hell would you do to redesign the Titans uniform? Some big guy with a white beard as the logo with a lightning bolt or something? I'm not a huge fan of the current thumbtack logo, and I like the sword logo a little better, but not all that much. I hope they do something, but could it be even worse? :ohdear:

Not talking about complete redesigns. Just minor details like we've seen in recent years with the Jaguars, Panthers, and Seahawks.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

MissileWaster posted:

Of course they would do it while I'm in class.

I'm guessing that's eastern time then?

Yeah, EST in...Brooklyn! The most Pro Combat thing Nike could do (other than the undershirts and stuff) is adding larger helmet stripes down the middle and making the helmets matte colors.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

As I thought, most of the league stayed virtually the same. Seattle's grey and white uniforms look pretty decent from afar (ie, they'll project well on television), the blue one, as many have said, looks too busy.

Packers, Eagles, Falcons, Panthers, Raiders stuck with the "previous uniform fabrication". The biggest shock will be the sticker price, $100 for a "gameday" jersey?

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

squarerandom posted:

I thought teams are not allowed to wear Alternatives on prime time games (thanksgiving not included) because it would alienate and confuse people who are too stupid to figure out who the teams are.

I remember the Dolphins wearing Orange jerseys on MNF. Most score bugs have the color behind the team name, anyway

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

BlindSite posted:

I like all the new Jerseys.

I'd like to see the NFL troll everyone and have a game a year like the final pre-season game where Nike designs what they'd really like to do for every team.

Just so I can feed off the rage brewing inside you all when they're unveiled.

Gonna put me $50 away every 1st of the month so I can get me a new jersey before the start of the season.

The Panthers jersey is pretty much last year's except for logo changes and a Nike Swoosh, would you still want to buy that

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

BlindSite posted:

Cause I've only got two replicas a Peppers White and a Beason Blue, if I get a Newton black it'll complete the set. Plus it's not like $1.60 per day is a lot of money to put away.

I used to be a smoker, I quit a month ago, I got mad spare cash now.

Well, you do get the new logo! Also, it's cool to have a sort of symbol for doing something like quitting smoking.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

squarerandom posted:

So I'm trying to figure out whats the difference between the NFL ELITE and Limited and Game jerseys on preorder for nike. Like the Game variation seems to be the cheaper fabric that's not water repelling and no stitched numbers but ventilated the same. So whats the difference between Elite and Limited other than the 115$ price difference and why is the Limited not available till the 29th of June and Elite is pre ordering after the 27th?

Gameday (basic jersey): tagless jersey, silicon print numbers

Limited (mid-point): Flywire collar (the kind of pointed one), Twill numbers

Elite (same as players): water-resistant, same on-field product

I'm guessing Limited gets the last launch date because it's a weird compromise and won't be as popular as either Gameday or Elite.

I used this for reference: http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,miami_dolphins

e: No Elite jerseys for Women, there are Limited ones.

Heaf fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 5, 2012

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

MissileWaster posted:

I wonder if they're going to release something similar to these NFL jerseys for college teams? It would pretty much give them a right to print money at that point.

I mean, poo poo, I'd wear an Elite Sooners jersey.

Nike has Nike Elite schools for Football/Basketball, which is different. Those are the schools that get Pro Combat treatment, more or less. Someone can correct me, but I believe Pro Combat was the basis for the Elite51 series.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

I had a dumb thought, which was "Will they all say Steelers on the back?"

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

GD_American posted:

I'm sorry but I'm dying laughing because I always wondered "how long until Nike is Nike" and they couldn't even make it to the end of the loving month

:cawg:

Can't wait for the jersey to sell a lot of replicas in spite of people's protesting

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

BlindSite posted:

Colts, Panthers, and Cowboys seem to where white more than their home and the Panthers one if more likely to be worn once maybe twice a year anyway. Texans only wear their home blue like 4 times a year anyway since they love to trot out the battle red. Broncos now wear the orange as their home jersey too.

The seahawks have what 4 variations of their jersey now as well? It's not quite that bad.

I think the Seahawks have three, Blue, Gray, and White. If the NFL wasn't so staunch about regulations they'd have a new set every week

Bliggers- posted:

The Patriots/Rams/Texans/Chargers/Broncos/Cowboys/Bears using the same terrible shade of super dark navy blue has got to change. It see,s like no one wears white anymore either.

The only more egregious uniform issue is that horrid shade of green the Eagles replaced their glorious kellys with.

White is usually designated as the color for the away team, so everyone wears white (unless the home team elects to wear their light jerseys). Also I would not change a thing about the Bears uniform, it is probably the best in the NFL.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Dolphins' unis could have used some orange stripes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

The Burger King jerseys are great and the AHL Manchester Monarchs (the LA Kings' affiliate) used them in a game earlier this year.

• Locked thread