Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
I think it'd be more of a "Design undershirts to have the look of the jersey" so IF someone wanted to wear an undershirt/long-sleeves they'd have a more seamless look. I can't imagine they'd make everyone wear an undershirt like that just because Nike thinks it's stylish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

japtor posted:

:dance:
(I'm slightly bitter about the last Reebok hat I got a few weeks ago where the logo or brim was slightly off center...including the replacement I got :argh:)

While we're on hat chat, anyone know how the Mitchell & Ness stuff is?

Other than overpriced? Their throwback or custom stuff runs a little tight (Not enough to size up unless you're between sizes) but for the most part it's about the same as NE.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Rap posted:

It's also funny how ten years ago Kellen Winslow somehow started a controversy by calling himself a soldier. Now Nike can call every football player a soldier and most people even on this forum think it's fine. Also funny: a kitten with a piece of paper

I don't see Nike calling them soldiers, just combatants. Which I would say makes some sense. Combat as a term isn't exclusive to the military, or to war for that matter. It literally just means "fight". I wouldn't call football players "fighters" but I wouldn't begrudge someone their ability to do so, or to describe an individual matchup as a "fight".

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Change the name of blitzes to fast rushes

What are we gonna call the Jap plays then?

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

CubanMissile posted:

I just tell Cleveland fans that ask about my old beat up hat that I really liked the movie Major League, because that's pretty much the truth. It takes the wind out of their sails, but who cares.

I have an Indians hat that people where I live (Cincinnati) will try to give me poo poo over. 4 words shut them up. "It was four dollars" and ^ the bill is still flat, but it keeps the sun out of my eyes when I'm driving just as well.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
I swear this is like the 15th time I've had to explain this poo poo to people but here we go:

Stickers on hats is the same as the tags on your starter hats/jackets back in the early 90s, hell actually it's just an evolution of it. It has nothing to do with a hat being "genuine" no, it's even more important than that. It's that the hat is loving new. It's that you just got this poo poo, you've not even had time to take the tags off it's so new. Because when you grow up and you're getting clothing through charity drives, or your mom's church, or your relatives hand-me-downs, having something new is the greatest feeling in the world. When you get some back to school clothes and you like knowing they just belong to you and you end up wearing them for like 5 days straight because hey this poo poo is new! With Starter stuff it was like hey this is so new I haven't even taken the tags off, just got right out the store and have it on. Then of course people realized that looked retarded, and it fell to the wayside. But 10 years later or so, people had the same dilemma. "How do I let the world know I just bought this hat? I know, I'll leave the bright gold sticker on it!"

So anyways point is that it, like all things fashion, came from a fairly understandable place and then was swagger jacked by people thinking it's cool until it lost all sense of the original "meaning" and is now about looking like a douche bag at the mall.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
A youth A's hat is $25 right now, which in 1993 dollars is $15.73 so prices haven't changed much. But prices for adult hats are ridiculous, $35 for a hat?! :argh:

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Arschlochkind posted:

NEW NIKE TEXANS UNIFORM DESIGN LEAKED

This is honestly the best thing that has been posted on this forum the entire off-season. I would buy this jersey and wear it to a wedding if it actually existed.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Looks like the Bengals are losing the tiger and making the B the primary logo. The field and most of the apparel have the B now instead of the tiger head/body.

I like it. To me the stripes themselves are more iconic for the Bengals than the actual tiger. There are tons of tiger teams but the Bengals are the only ones who use the stripes in the actual uniform that I can think of.

God I absolutely loathe the B, what a terrible logo. I mean I'm a big fan of letting the 10 year old kid get the full value of his make-a-wish but could we at least make it the alternate logo? Put it on the field sure, but shirts and hats and things people actually wear in public should at least look decent.

That said I don't think I've worn a piece of NFL apparel aside from going to games in a few years, so maybe it doesn't even matter for me.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

They have to, otherwise people are going to get pissed and leave when they think they're watching the Bengals play.

counterpoint: no one has ever actually seen the Bengals play, so we're not sure how they'd react to it happening.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

MissileWaster posted:

e; Last year around this time we had a thread about posting your jersey collections. It's been so long since then that I'm sure a bunch of people on here have gotten new jerseys, plus the Nike NFL jerseys are out, think we should just use this thread to talk about that or should someone start a new one for it?

I'd keep it here, since this seems to be a more general thread, and if you split it off into "post your jerseys" then both threads will die out, where as this may have a chance of living.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

I can't imagine why the Seahawks would sell a forgery in their own team store.

I'm betting he meant "There's no way Walter Jones actually sat down and signed a bunch of $150 jerseys and they're selling them at $200 a piece. Surely this is a screen printed on the number kinda deal?" but still, I think you're right: poo poo's real. Buy it up bacon.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Toussaint Louverture posted:

The Bengals pick the weirdest people to make a ton of jerseys for. 2011: Carlos Dunlap gets half a sack less than Suh in half as many games? Here, have a punter instead.

Huber is local, white, upper middle class and Catholic, meaning he appeals to the XU portion of the Cincinnati sports fanbase. Brilliant business decision by the Bengals.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
that's just because he wanted to play football, not polo or croquet or jai alai or whatever the gently caress it is they do out on dana

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Those aren't even Nike jerseys though, just old or fake Reeboks.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
I have an Odell Thurman jersey, and yesterday I saw a kid wearing a Laveranues Coles Bengals jersey.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
I was going to say that the NFL hats seem to be larger than the MLB hats, but the MLB hats I have a a year+ old so I don't have any recent to compare it to. But 7 3/8ths fits me snug in my new Bengals hat, 7 1/2 in my Reds hat. So try em on at the store instead of ordering online would probably be a good idea.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
You say that like the Taliban allows cartoons.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

japtor posted:

Bumpin the thread since it looks like some hats are starting to become clearance items online. Got one of the drifit like training camp hats for $10 and saw others like the draft day caps and some other random styles for $10-15.

Regular Raiders dog ear wasn't one of them though :saddowns:. Got a Dodgers dog ear for $15...and continues my sizing confusion, 7 3/8 and fits perfectly (while my previous hat was massive and had to go with 7 1/4 there).

It has to do with the depth of the hat more than anything else, "high crown" or low. I got a hat at Lids over the holidays for $10 but haven't seen them online for that cheap anywhere, or that they had any sizes other than "giant head".

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
That has to be a practice jersey or something, it looks way too bland to be the actually gameday jersey. I mean bland is okay with some style, but that just looks like they grabbed a jersey from the local high school "Norsemen" to go with their high school QB.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Go somewhere liek here (Just a quick google got this, i don't know if there's a better site that wouldn't require you to get more than 1 since these max out at $200) and buy an e-gift card instead of using your legit Visa information. I'm pretty sure there's other places that offer these services as well, your bank probably does if you have a checking account with them, look around their website.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
I... uhh what the gently caress. That site has a Colin Cochart jersey. I don't even know who that is, lets look him up!

Wikipedia posted:

Cinncinati Bengals

In 2011, He was signed by the Bengals as an undrafted free agent.
Dallas Cowboys

He claimed off off waivers by the Dallas Cowboys on September 1st, 2012, after they waived backup quarterback Stephen McGee.He was released 10 days later on September 11th after not being active for a single game.

I think I just found my new favorite jersey ever.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

shiksa posted:

That site's certainly something.

http://www.combatgate.com/Buffalo-Bills-Lee-Evans-83-Authentic-2011-New-White-Jersey-id7885.html

I'm not sure who this is supposed to be but you're sure as hell not getting a Lee Evans jersey.

They're just doing you a favor, no one really wants a Lee Evans jersey anyways.

Now Colin Cochert, that's a player worth representing.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
I'd be down for one, maybe two if I can spend 3 hours comparing what the picture of their AJ Green looks like compared to the real deal.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Richman777 posted:

he plain NFL jerseys (the $18 ones) just didn't look right.

How so? I was thinking of getting an Anthony Munoz throwback, since I kind of assume they'd gently caress up the Bengals uniform. I'd still be in if the regulars are off, but I didn't know if you saw something or there was a picture showing something wrong with them.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
The bengals uniforms are dope as football uniforms, but pretty awful when not on the field. I mean i get that theyre not anywhere close to a classic refined look, but they actually look right when worn with pads and a helmet. And awful in any other occasion.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
I was at my local (east Cincinnati) TJ Maxx tonight buying some socks and sweatpants and saw they had a few Nike On-Field Browns jerseys. Colt McCoy in medium and two larges, and a single Cribbs in medium. They were $15 each. So point of my post is threefold:

1. Check yours out if you feel like it, if nothing else could be a cheap stocking gift for a friend or loved one, or maybe a gag gift if they have some awesomely old jersey.

2. Anyone here want one of those and want to cover the price + $5 it'd take to ship it?

3. If anyone does go and checks em out and they see a Nike Bengals jersey for less than $20 buy it and I'll pay you back yo.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Aliexpress is the direct-to-consumer website for Ali Baba, which you may have heard of as the single largest online marketplace in the world. You know the place looking for an IPO at a valuation greater than Facebook? AliX is just so you can get their cheap knock offs or knick knacks shipped to you. No idea if they're worth a drat for jerseys though!

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Great White Hope posted:

I'm not a fan of those helmets but rest of it is so awesome that it's well worth it.

Aside from the black visor those helmets are probably the best looking thing I've ever seen attached to a football team. The uniforms are awesome, but the helmets make the whole thing work.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Or football playing midshipmen that have a distinctly militaristic look to their uniform, one that was co-opted by the police force to instill the same sense of order and respect present in much older institutions. But yeah police also wear hats with symbols

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

This is the aliexpress jersey I got last month. It's the best fake I've seen for the Bengals, but it still has a few problems.
Overall I like it. Definitely worth :20bux:

There are a few on that link, can you link (or pm if you'd rather) the specific one?

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
What the fuckerman was questioning is that, much like what happened with the Eagles' green jerseys, Nike was unable to produce the correct color with their special SPACE AGE FABRICS and they looked off. So to remedy that the team has instead opted to wear white.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Yo I got a friend looking to sell some genuine jerseys, all size 44 (medium):

Blue texans clowney nike onfield
Blue bears urlacher nike onfield
Red usc matthews 47 moxie
White diamond plate broncos lynch reebok (actually size large)

No idea what he's thinking price wise but if anyone is interested I'll figure that out. Unless this is frowned upon, inwhich case it actually never happened shhh

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
The Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes, and the Jazz moved to Utah, where they don't allow music

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
I don't like the shade of orange, or the BROWNS wordmark on the pants. Everything else is pretty dope. I mean they're "fixing" something that wasn't broken, and anything they changed would be worse than what had existed before it, but keeping that in mind they did a good job with what they wanted to do.

Also the Jags uniforms (minus the helmet) are actually loving awesome and you're blind/dumb/boring if you disagree .hth.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Does anyone have any idea of a TOTALLY LEGAL BY THE BOOKS way to get a Cincinnati Tigers jersey that isn't $200? Or, a throwback Reds jersey from the 30s (literally the same jersey)?

Also, when looking around on that site I saw two thigns Darth Brooks might find pretty cool: A 1928 Duluth Eskimos jersey and a 1926 Rock Island Independents jersey. Both are awesome, but I just love that I saw them and recognized them from your work!

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
I'd chip in :tenbux: towards a worthy goal of crowd sourcing you a jersey, but you know, goon projects and all that

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

gently caress him, go Bengals.

Uniforms aren't a fashion statement. They're meant to be iconic. The Bengals jerseys succeed at that way better than generic dark blue primary #6.

This. The Bengals jerseys are awful to wear and are in no way "classic" but they work as cool football uniforms.

That said, I like the old, classic, ones a lot better.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
UC, no not that one, the one in Cincinnati, have their newly designed UA jerseys unveiled now:

Look pretty cool imo, and they're THE TOUGHEST JERSEYS EVER. THEY CAN NOT GRAB YOU. which should help, because lord knows the players are pretty grabbable as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Wow those are some solid looking jerseys as a whole, but without a doubt the best helmet I've seen

• Locked thread