Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So Brian K Vaughn's Saga pretty much blew my tits off. What a fantastic start to something pretty different.

TV heads having sex all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

petewhitley posted:

Anyone else reading Bulletproof Coffin have a "reading order" for the last issue? After looking at everything there's surely a few loose narratives amongst the panels, but I'm not smart enough to piece them together.

Uh, maybe there isn't one? There is the through-line with Steve, and something about a meteorite landing among monkey-men that stalk his dreams or something, but I just enjoyed it as a discombobulated dream like narrative. Everything is cool and interesting in only one panel bytes. Really fun read.

Okay, when I went overboard about Saga, I think I spoke too soon. Seigfried, drawn and written by Alex Alice (IIRC), is the best thing I've read in ages. It is just the start of the story and I already feel in the hands of a capable storyteller about to get into an incredible story. Get it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Soonmot posted:

I still have no loving idea what is going on in Prophet, but it just keeps getting better.

Just picked it up. It was my intro to the series...and holy hell. What have I gotten myself into? This stuff is amazing.

EDIT: It's like the deep, disorienting sci-fi you'd see in the 60s and 70s. Almost Herbert-esque.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Something magical. There's no way to really explain this barrage of crazy sci-fi concepts being blasted at you.

Isn't this a character originally created by Liefeld?!!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bairfanx posted:

And yeah, Prophet, easily one of my favorite comcis. I only wish this issue continued Dalrymple's story (looks like they didn't even have time to prep a different cover for it :smith:)

Could you elucidate more on this? What do you mean?

Prophet gives me hope in comics. If something as lovely as a pooped out Liefeld creation can be made this original and awesome, there's hope in this medium just yet.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bairfanx posted:

Did you read the previous issue? It was a different artist and I didn't think it was a finished story (I guess that ending could have been an ending, but it felt like a cliffhanger). The cover art of this week's issue had Prophet in his falling star suit that he had in the previous one, which makes me think it was intended for the continuation of Dalrymple's arc.

It's possible that I'm wrong, and I'm not about to complain about the book, but it felt like there was a delay on Dalrymple's conclusion (also, the issue was apparently solicited as Simon Roy, which seems strange, as he shouldn't be back for a while).

If you're liking Prophet, you've read King City, right? I mean, they aren't really similar at all, but it's Brandon Graham's big thing before Prophet.

He's also up for an Eisner for his short story "The Speaker" from DHP #9(? I think it was #9).

This was my first issue. Thanks for the future reading!

EDIT: VVV Will do.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 25, 2012

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

Hardcore is pretty loving awesome just so everyone knows.

It's by Hickman, who is currently in the middle of the greatest Fantastic Four run ever, and it's about a guy who assassinates people by remotely taking over the body of someone near them. And it's pretty drat cool.

It's by Robert Kirkman. And it's just alright.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The Massive was a pretty unimpressive introduction to the setting and characters and aside from the covers I hate the art. Probably not gonna pick up issue 2. The premise and cover art made me hope this might be the special comic of the year that gets everyone talking, but bleh.

Yeah, count me in for it being unimpressive as well.

Planetoid 01 was pretty good. A really interesting setting with a beginning that wasn't too clunky or dull. Worth a look.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, no, I gave the rest of the issues a shot, and I don't think it's for me. It's not even that the tone bothers me, I just don't think it's as funny or clever as it clearly wants to be, and as a result I find the characters to be really obnoxious. A shame.

If the dialogue is the problem, you ought to check out Siegfried, which is much more straight forward and less sarcasm laden. It also is my favorite of the two books. When are they going to go ahead and translate the second book from the original French?!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So can someone interpret Dracula v. Vampirella #5 for me? Vampirella is taking over the Dracula narrative I guess, but there were a lot there that I couldn't get a handle on. Like what's the deal with Jonathon Harker. Is he Dracula?.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jesus christ Prophet is a dense read. I'm halfway through and I already feel full.

Glory is still bringing the goods, the art is just wild. Seems to have a nice plot shift in there, though the dialogue could use another pass to stream line, but I'm not complaining. Image is good again!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Is this where we talk about Manhattan Projects? Because I need to talk about Manhattan Projects. I am running out of platitudes to describe this book.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Planetoid #2 was another great issue. Definitely recommending it. A mix of Conan and sci fi pulp.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Soonmot posted:

I have not heard of this, can you elaborate?

Sure. Written and drawn by Ken Garing, a battle scarred warrior washes up on an alien planet, and proceeds to wreck poo poo. The ecology he makes up for the planet is pretty interesting, and pretty unique as well.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

What I especially love about it is what it leaves out. The exposition isn't wordy, and the narrative is sparse. I can totally see this as a Sergio Leone joint.

In regards to other stuff, checked out Portent #1. It's a fantasy comic that involves the dead and living mashing together with a Zatoichi-like (though not blind) hero stepping into the middle of it. Not quite as exciting or interesting as Saga or Siegfried (the better of the two I think), it still merits at least a look.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Was Taters posted:

Am I the only one reading Fatima: The Blood Spinners?

If not, does anyone else feel that Gilbert Hernandez might be just loving with them?

Read the first issue and punched out. Seems like a lovely way to spend a few bucks.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bairfanx posted:

edit: or it's $7. Either way, Wild Children is a much better investment.

Really? I read a few pages at the store. I thought it wasn't worth getting. There's nothing worse than someone spouting supposed "wisdom" when they aren't really making any interesting points. It seems to be a fetishization of these amazing kids and the interesting things they're trying to teach...and all I could do was shake my head. It doesn't strike as smart writing in the least.

EDIT: The art for MP is a HUGE part of its high quality. Quitely is a great comparison. There is a level of ingenuity and uniqueness with the character design (ex: Von Braun's robot arm) and background stuff that is just fantastic.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 29, 2012

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fair enough. People can like different things. But there is a difference between the Invisibles, which plays with your expectations in striking and new ways, and a comic that has "genius" characters going on page long monologues about how they're blowing your mind (without actually saying anything of substance).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Starsnostars posted:

Image really seem to know what they're doing when it comes to digital comics, giving away the first issue to get people hooked? That's brilliant.I don't know why Marvel or DC don't do this, I can easily see myself buying some trades if I like these #1s

If there was a monthly subscription service, I don't see myself ever canceling it. Ala Netflix.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So here's three comics that are pretty under the radar, but have been reliably good reads:

Revenant, Elric: The Battle Lost, and The New Deadwardians. Any of these titles is worth checking out, and two of them are either just wrapped or about to. Buy it now or get the trades!

Mind MGMT is just great. Deep and wonderfully new. A must read.

And this is my monthly announcement that Prophet is my favorite series on the stands. I can't give it enough compliments.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

al-azad posted:

Mind MGMT closed the first story arc today and I couldn't be excited to get more. It's definitely near the top of my favorite new comics this year.

I also picked up Brandom Grahams Multiple Warheads and I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. 48 pages of an organ hunter lopping off heads and a guy with a wolf dick driving across punny countryside with his girlfriend Sexica. Graham has a fantastic visual style but his absurd lettering pulls me out of the story. I have the same feeling reading King City and it's the biggest hurdle keeping me from finishing it. If I can manage to actually read what people are saying I can't tell if they're saying words or making noises. Like, is "sputz" a curse word? If it is, why do they still use conventional curse words? Why is "SHINX!! in a word balloon when it's the sound of swords being drawn? Or is it, I don't know?!

James Stokoe uses a similar outlandish lettering style but I've never had trouble distinguishing his speech from other noises. Stokoe also wisely uses a universal vocabulary for his onomotopoeia. When you read "KSH KSH KSH" you know poo poo's going down.

I suppose an analogue that occurred to me reading it was R rated Miyazaki. A complex and sometimes near incomprehensively inhabited world, a frightening level of creativity, and great dollops of heart right in the middle. If you can't tell I loved Multiple Warheads. You've got to be willing to roll with the punches but poo poo its rewarding. With this and Prophet Brandon Graham might be single handedly revitalizing my love of comics.

Also Prophet was great last issue. Read it already.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Planetoids, guys, Planetoids. Check it out already.

And about comic recommendations, following good creators around is a good way to go. So if you're trying to recommend a cape book for the under-age set, Jeff Smith's Shazam: The Monsters of Evil is pretty stellar.

But why not try to recommend the european stuff, since you're already interested in it? Tintin, Gaston, Asterix and Obelix, etc. There's some great contemporary stuff being translated right now, like Siegfried, which so far only has one volume out (cannot take that :argh:).

But there are enough good recommendations in this thread and others throughout this sub-forum (like the european comics thread!) that you should have plenty to choose from.

Oh, and if you're looking for definite large sales, get the Sandman stuff. That stuff sells like gangbusters and works for pretty much every demographic.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Read the first three issues of James Stockoe's (sp?) Godzilla: The Half-Century War.

Jesus its good. The art is mind-bendingly amazing and everything else is pretty top notch as well. Get it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Slackerish posted:

I'm trying to read a comic series that takes place predominately on the sea. Pirates, sea-like adventures, I've been trying to read a lot of those types of stories lately and I have no idea where to start. Thanks!

Conan the Barbarian has had a recent arc or two that take place on the sea and are just terrific. Don't think its been bounded into a trade yet though.

EDIT: ^^^ Doh! Just saw the post above mine.

The Great Pacific is a couple of issues in and I'm liking it so far, but its playing its card fairly close to the chest so far. Deals with/takes place on the Great Garbage patch in the northern Pacific.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 12, 2012

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I have never been a comics person until quite recently, and in the last couple of years I've read some amazing books and now I want some recommendations.

Lately I've read Maus, which was brilliant (as was Metamaus). I also bought and adored the 1400-page complete Bone paperback. I reread Watchmen (first read it 5+ years ago) and I liked it although I'm not into superheroes generally. I've been following Dial H but to be honest I wouldn't have picked it up if it wasn't written by my favourite author, China Miéville. One other favourite of mine I've had for years is Pride of Baghdad.

Very recently (and what made me post this):

• I borrowed Blacksad from a friend and loved it so much that I went out and bought my own copy of the hardcover, as well as the sequel. It's just so drat good. I love the noirish feel, the use of animals, the artwork, the characters, everything about it.

• On a whim, and because they were AUD$12 each (which is super loving cheap for comic paperbacks in Australia) I bought the first trade paperbacks of Saga and Prophet and hoo boy, am I glad I did. Saga was great, like Star Wars but more adult and better written. But goddamn, Prophet blew my mind. I have never read any other sci-fi like it, whether comics or novels or anything. I cannot wait for the second trade paperback, whenever the hell that comes out.

So can someone please recommend me some trade paperbacks/graphic novels along the lines of
- a) Saga and Prophet, with sci-fi and aliens and awesomeness (PS: I tried the Mass Effect comics because I love the games, but by god they are poo poo comics), and
- b) Blacksad — anything similar to this

I am not into superheroes, Walking Dead, or manga. Thanks!

edit: bold bold bold sorry

Off the top of my head: Punisher Max by Garth Ennis (grim and dark (and interesting!) take on crime and punishment in the underworld), The Human Target (take on someone who mimics people - for a price, just fantastic check out the first couple of volumes by Milligan), Criminal (just essential reading, by Brubaker), We3 (a cross between Homeward Bound and Robocop), and 100 Bullets (maybe my favorite comic of the past decade, a noir-esque take on morality and conspiracy).

EDIT: I found Change #1 to be juvenile in all the worst ways. Like a teenager who thinks he/she is intensely deep.

EDIT 2: Oh wait, this guy did Wild Children? I should have known...

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 20, 2012

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Siegfried vol. 1 too. I've gone about it a bunch here and other threads but its that good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So anyone else reading Nowhere Men? A dense book about rock star scientists that leaves me with NO IDEA where its going. But its fun and different and written well and definitely worth a read. As of the third issue, things just took a crazy, out of nowhere (hah hah) turn.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Still need to catch up with Glory and Godzilla, but there's this other Image book I grabbed the last couple of issues of: The Legend of Luther Strode. A quality punch up comic, the best thing I can say about it is that it feels like there's a heavy metal track blaring in the background as I read this thing. Real fun, though I don't know what the hell is happening really.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Will do, but it feels like this is a comic where things like character backgrounds and origins are insignificant. More important: did I just see a guy flex two bloody knives out of his chest and fling into someone else's pupils? Yuuuup.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looks like they're backing away their position against Saga #12:

quote:

To our customers -

In the last 24 hours there has been a lot of chatter about Apple banning Saga #12 from our Comics App on the Apple App Store due to depictions of gay sex. This is simply not true, and we’d like to clarify.

As a partner of Apple, we have an obligation to respect its policies for apps and the books offered in apps. Based on our understanding of those policies, we believed that Saga #12 could not be made available in our app, and so we did not release it today.

We did not interpret the content in question as involving any particular sexual orientation, and frankly that would have been a completely irrelevant consideration under any circumstance.

Given this, it should be clear that Apple did not reject Saga #12.

After hearing from Apple this morning, we can say that our interpretation of its policies was mistaken. You’ll be glad to know that Saga #12 will be available on our App Store app soon.

We apologize to Saga creator Brian K. Vaughan and Image Comics for any confusion this may have caused.

All the best,

David Steinberger
CEO and co-founder
comiXology

And here's Vaughn view on it, and his mistakes about what was happening:

quote:

UPDATE: In light of the news, Brian K. Vaughan released the following statement:

I wanted to apologize to everyone for this entire SAGA #12 kerfuffle. Yesterday, I was mistakenly led to believe that this issue was solely with Apple, but it's now clear that it was only ever Comixology too conservatively interpreting Apple's rules. I'm truly sorry. I never thought either company was being homophobic, only weirdly inconsistent about what kind of adult material was permissible. I'm grateful that the situation was cleared up so quickly, and I'm delighted I can go back to reading smutty comics on my Retina Display iPad.

--Brian K. Vaughan

My bad, going to head over to the Derailed thread as well.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

asylum years posted:

The first Wood I've come to is The Massive, which I really like. If I start picking up Conan, should I just start where he began, or is there a better point before?

Kurt Busiek and Cary Nord made an absolutely beautiful run that kickstarted the Dark Horse series. It tapers off, but there is a lot of good there. Some of those pages are absolutely STELLAR.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm also curious about Powers. It's a series I wanted to read for a while but just haven't gotten around to yet.

There's a couple of volumes of it now, and the material wanes and waxes throughout. The tone gets a bit tiring (superheroes are assholes too!) and Bendis goes up his own butt sometimes without committing to the ideas he throws out there, but there are some good storylines in there. But be warned, there's a definite feel of retreading old ground towards the latter parts of the book, and a general aimlessness to what exactly the book is supposed to be about.

But OTOH, the dialogue is always fun, and there's some characters that decidedly pop from their first appearance. I'd suggest you pick up the first issue and see how you feel. I'm decidedly ambiguous on it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

No, I meant volumes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I never thought I'd say this but he really needs Frank Miller.

Just let that roll around in your brain for a minute.

Didn't the Wachowski siblings write a previous volume? I remember goggling at the banana-ness of it all.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of french books, I read the first issue of a comic called Siegfried that blew my socks off a couple of years ago. Its based off the Wagner Rings cycle, and is the recovered remnants of botched animated project from the 80s. Its also pretty rad. Anyone know if there any subsequent issues published in the states? Internet is not being helpful.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah MGMT was great. I'm having trouble remembering a comic I was reading at the same time, it was as almost Miyazaki like, but way more adult, written and drawn by a dude that used to do reeeeaally adult comics. It involved a dude with a werewolf netherparts? It really is better than my description sounds.

Also well did Prophet wrap up? There was so much amazing build-up in that comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dr. Hurt posted:

It sounds like you are thinking about multiple warheads?

That's the one, thanks.