Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I quite enjoyed Seven Secrets and apparently it's doing really well. The second printing is sold out, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Seven Secrets remains pretty dope.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thanks to whomever recommended the IDW TMNT comic. I've read the first two trades and it's really solid. I love the rationale why Splinter and the Turtles are together.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

Also worth reading is the Archie TMNT from the '90s for how weird it is. Not worth reading is the Image TMNT series from the '90s that they recently started continuing at IDW for some drat reason. Never liked that version.

I read a lot of the Archie stuff as a kid and it was way more fun and inventive than the cartoon, even if I remember bizarre things happening like Krang winding up as Shredder's head and being really mad they just sort of murked the Mighty Mutanimals off-screen. I wonder if it was the first place where April decided to be a kunoichi which now feels like a semi-regular (understandably) character beat.

Never touched the Image stuff. What was wrong with it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

It was too '90s tryhard. Cyborg Dontello, scarred masked Raphael, Leo had his hand cut off. And then even dumber stuff like Raphael taking over as The Shredder and leading The Foot or Splinter spending a large portion of the series as a mutant bat.

That does sound unfortunate. Doesn't Leo lead the Foot at least in one incarnation?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

I have a bunch of random issues of that for some reason, and thankfully, it includes the one where a time-traveling Raphael chin-checks Hitler.

Between this and Sonic I wonder if just going completely off the rails is just what you do with a licensed comic at Archie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TMNT's still really good. I've been buying a trade a week since I don't get much weekly stuff (most days). If it keeps going on like this it might be out the 2012 cartoon for my favorite iteration of the franchise.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Was Nightwar any good?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

fatherboxx posted:

Uhhh Battle Chasers is his old comic that is probably FINALLY coming back now

Although he's apparently not drawing it, which is why it's coming out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I just read the first TPB of Dryad from Oni Press by Kurtis Weibe and Justin Osterling. The art's great and I enjoy this a lot more than I did Rat Queens, although the story might jump around a bit too much. Reads nice in chunks, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I've been meaning to bring up Dryad in here, and I second your recommendation. It's a fun mix of fantasy and...other things that will become apparent over the first few issues.

Yeah, it's absolutely a hard book to describe but it would give too much away and you also don't want people to go poking too closely because that also gives stuff away.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Speaking of Remender how did Deadly Class wind up? I really enjoyed the first... five (?) trades I ran and of course liked the only season we got of the TV show.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Does anybody remember the name of the comic where it was about a guardswoman protecting her princess/queen and on they're on the run with the twist said royalty had also been turned into a tiger?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dryad's really cool from Oni Press. By the Rat Queens writer and a stellar artist.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes putting in some solid work on the Magic: The Gathering comic and this comes from somebody who hasn't played since Ice Age.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I hadn't bought a new card or played since 2001, and naively assumed that getting up to speed lore-wise would be pretty simple. I was wrong.

If it helps, "I could kill with a look and he was never afraid to meet my eyes" is pretty universal and also a great line (that I paraphrased).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've been really enjoying Scott Snyder's Nocterra and it's the best Tony Daniels' work has ever looked.

How was Josh Williamson's Birthright? I saw that just wrapped following him on Twitter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've been reading some really fun horror-ish comics from Image in Home Sick Pilots (which is, to quote the soundbite, Power Rangers meets The Shining) and Shadecraft. Both are great.

In sad news apparently all the Ghostbusters books have been scrubbed from Comixology. I know there are Ways to read them but it sucks because I kinda wanted to pay for them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

The GB comics being digitally unavailable has been a thing for months. The word is that Sony wants everything GB related to pause until after the movie is released so as to not overextend the property.

Bizarre. That seems like very Clueless Exec because the comics are hardly going to encroach on a movie's take home.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1419661392932708352

For those wondering about Uber.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Snyder's current series Nocterra if you goons are looking for a horror-esque Mad Max Fury Road.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Space Fish posted:

Should I try Nocterra if the first trade of Undiscovered Country was perpetually annoying?

Didn't read it. Maybe it was Charles Soule's fault?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vincent posted:

DREDD is the movie universe and Judge Dredd is the regular comic universe, right?

Correct.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jedit posted:

On a vaguely similar note, has anyone read White Ash and got an opinion? I read the FCBD issue and was curious.

It's not bad. A little too horny for its main female lead sometimes but it does some fun stuff with Norse mythology in a small mining town in Pennsylvania.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

Anybody read that comic Bermuda? By Layman/Bradshaw, looks pretty fun.

Any opinions on Birthright? That sounded kind of intriguing. How about Seeley's Bequest? And various fantasy romp or related fantasy-ish kind of comics in general, lot to choose from. Helm Greycastle?

And how about those action-y thingies like Deep Beyond and Nocterra? Brzrkr any good? For older stuff, I've been interested in some of those D&D comics, and Skullkickers, and Tellos. And just oodles of series on the list to check out. Like Outpost Zero, The New World, Killadelphia, anybody read Oblivion Song or Kirkman's recent stuff, Motor Crush, The Kill Lock, Higher Earth, about a zillion comics of interest. Comics folks.

I read Nocterra. It's a like a fun horror take on 70's trucker movies.

The best D&D comic was the 4E one John Rogers wrote, but the Jim Zub Baldur's Gate stuff is fun.

You sound like you really should read Oni Press' Dryad which is currently on hiatus as they work to finish the last of it in a graphic novel instead of releasing monthlies. Once and Future is great, too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Something Is Killing the Children is quite good. I can see why the buzz.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

How does this wiki know this obscure Ninja Turtles character is 5'9 and 140 lbs? It is mysterious to me. Yes I've been surfing the Turtleverse.

The Archie TMNT was wild. Eventually I think they got left alone aside from maybe being a source of toy ideas and basically did whatever. A fellow on Twitter did a fascinating deep dive on it. It still has some of the most irritatingly pointless character deaths I've ever seen.

https://twitter.com/Comrade_Bullski/status/1490434548198518787

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

The Archie series got progressively more and more wild. I remember reading the issue where a government agent tortures Michaelangelo with pliers when I was a kid.

edit:

A lot more murder in the book than one might think. Also a super heavy environmental theme which, honestly, just seems prescient now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Speaking of TMNT I've been reading the IDW stuff for the first time. City Fall was a great story and fun homage to the old Mirage series City At War storyline.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

On indie comics, anybody read Void Rivals, any good? Haven't heard takes on it other than the Transformers connection, which I assume is incidental to the main story.

While not trying to be too flip, it's kind of just The Last Starfighter. Not great, but not bad, just kinda inoffensive.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A.o.D. posted:

I got more of an Enemy Mine vibe, which is a different 80s sci Fi vibe.

Yeah, honestly that's probably the movie I was thinking of.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Air Skwirl posted:

In regards to Frank Miller, if you only ever read one Daredevil story it should be Born Again. If you like Garth Ennis I can't recommend his run on Hellblazer strongly enough.

When Miller was full on brain worms a while back people tried the 'he was always bad, actually' and no, no he wrote Born Again. It's an easy lock Daredevil story and if you said it was your favorite Marvel story or even just comic story I wouldn't argue.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

Also, I've been re-looking into some comics I was interested in 20 years ago for nostalgia and whatnot. Noble Causes, Firebreather, Jack Staff, lot of early 00s Image stuff and whatnot.

If you dig Noble Causes the writer also did Dynamo 5 which has the cool concept of a Superman expy slept around a ton and each of his five children got one of his powers when he died and are organized into a group by his wife who did not know about his indiscretions until he died. Also features some early Mahmud Asar art. They even do the Power Pack thing of sometimes they switch powers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's good for a long time, but it sort of trails off at the end.

Now that I think about it, I did enjoy Powers for the most part but I never thought the individual arcs ended very well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chinston Wurchill posted:

It did not. I expect Jason Latour being accused of harassment by multiple women probably has something to do with that.

It is sad that both of Spider-Gwen's creators are kinda trash.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thundercats is still really good. It was never a franchise I was super into as a kid but it's pretty cool here.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

Well I'm at least thankful it's not a continuation of the Wildstorm comics. Those were rough.

I didn't read the Wildstorm stuff because I remember it was set in the future of the cartoon, which is fine, and thus had aged up Wilys Kit and Kat and their first appearance is in like Princess Leia at Jabba's palace apparel. Just put it back on the shelf.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sectaurs I remember the toys pretty well because the bug thing and the big bugs the figures rode looked just enough like the real thing to creep me out so I never got into them, but I think this and the cost was on the whole why the toy line didn't do well. I had some of Robo Force but their big deal was their lower half was suction cups so they could stick to anything (for the first day or so you had them). Biker Mice felt like even to me as a dumb kid another attempt at TMNT. The other two honestly no knowledge of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did Nick Spencer's Morning Glories ever finish?