Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've been very reticent to pick up many indie books immediately just because I've been burned so many times by delays and scheduling issues that I generally will wait for at least one or two trades before I jump into a new book. But yesterday a new series by Jay Faerber came out and I'm big fan of stuff like Noble Causes, Dynamo 5, and Copperhead (which admittedly is one of the often delayed books that I was referring to earlier) so I pretty much had to check it out.

The book is called Elsewhere and it starts out on an alien planet with two aliens trying to escape from these guys on some weird flying creatures. They hear a female voice crying for help and find Amelia Earhart stuck by her parachute in a tree. They get her down and she tells them she has to find her partner Fred Noonan but the other aliens show up again to chase them so all of them start running again with aliens explaining they had just escaped from the dungeon of a tyrant who had taken over their land. They find their own flying creatures to help them get away and Amelia immediately bonds with hers which they say usually takes much longer for a rider and she tells them about how good she is at flying her plane and all. They say they've heard the word plane before but it's not a word they understand and one of the prisoners in a cell near them was talking about a plane as well. She now knows that the guy they're trying to escape has Fred Noonan so she gets intentionally captured as part of a plan to break him out. They throw her into the cell, but it's not Fred Noonan in the cell, it's DB Cooper.

The book was great up until that reveal. But that reveal immediately makes this one of the books I'm most looking forward to reading every month now. Of course I'm sure the Shipping Gods will punish me now for taking so quick a liking to the book but I just can't help it.

X-O fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

East of West is the classic kind of Hickman storytelling you find in other things he's written. Manhattan Projects is him doing something completely different on purpose. East of West has the long term storytelling you find in his FF and Avengers runs where Manhattan Projects is intentionally written with no plan at all and is just about indulging crazy ideas.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Unbelievably good world building though.

Who does the art on Manhattan Projects? I got Pax Romana and I reaaly don't like Hickman's art style it turns out.

Nick Pitarra does pretty much all of the art on MP I believe. I know for sure on the main series, not sure if he did that last mini too but I think he did.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Other Image heroes like Savage Dragon, Spawn, Youngblood. Witchblade, and others have definitely appeared in Invincible at times. Never in big ways though. That being said I stopped reading the series around the halfway mark so that might have changed after.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Covok posted:

Those are never canon.

Anyhoo, it sounds like it's pretty much self-contained so it's not going to be one of those series where you end a book and it has a reading order for books from 5 series you don't read so you can actually understand the story. I hate Events.

No, it's absolutely canon to Invincible's run. It's not essential reading perhaps, but it happens on panel in Invincible as well as in MTU.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Covok posted:

Really? That's the first time I've heard of a cross-company comic team-up actually fitting into the established plotlines of either story. Usually they're morel like when Batman and Spiderman teamed-up to stop the Joker/Carnage team: totally non-canon, but fun.

Yes, as said above trans-dimensional travel was a plot point in how it happened. The MTU book literally happens in between panels of an issue of Invincible where he goes into a portal and then comes out. To see what happened while he was in the portal you have to read that issue of MTU. So again, not required reading but it's definitely canon to the series.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Scaramouche posted:

Does that include the Tick crossover too?

That was probably after I'd already dropped Invincible for turning into a gore show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jordan7hm posted:

I feel like that happened during the big reveal.

I mean it was bad for a while, but it ramped up pretty steadily for pretty much the entire time I read it. By the time it got to the story I was talking about with Angstrom Levy it was moving into the territory where it was getting to be too much.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I posted about it earlier in the thread, but Elsewhere is great. Read it people.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I decided to jump back into some of the recent Aftershock comics I had lapsed and missed out on, and one that really stands out so far is Babyteeth. I'm not usually much for "Evil Baby Antichrist" stories but Donny Cates is approaching it in a really different way with the "teenage mother in over her head trying to protect her baby" angle. And it's building up some neat background mythology with secret organizations that apparently try to kill demonspawn pretty regularly. I hope it gets to go on a while as it feels like the story has some real legs to it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Action Jacktion posted:

I liked World Reader, though it's now on hiatus while they decide if it's popular enough to continue. The best Aftershock comic was Replica, but I guess it isn't coming back.

Replica was my favorite too, but World Reader is fantastic as well. Jeff Loveness won me over big time with his Marvel work and he's a guy I'll read anything by now pretty much.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hmm. Not a peep of the rumors regarding Avatar running on Bleeding Cool at all. Guess Rich isn't quite ready to touch that one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Final issue of Invincible is pretty gewd.

So which way did he go? Did he kill everyone in a ridiculous gore filled finale or did he try to be clever and think it would be a big twist to give everyone a happy ending? I can’t really see it ending any other way with Kirkman writing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kirkman and Gimple? Surely nothing could go wrong with that team...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

She could've done that while on the exclusive contract if she wanted. Exclusive means you just can't work for the other big company.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holy poo poo! They're reviving Thunderbolt! And Keiron Gillen is writing it.

https://www.newsarama.com/42086-gillen-winjgaard-revamp-peter-cannon-thunderbolt.html

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

A new writer could be the best thing for it.
Interesting that it's someone graduating from lettering.

Ryan Ferrier wrote D4VE and it was real good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Finally read the first issue of Peter Cannon. I loved it. It’ll be interesting to see someone do a quasi sequel to Watchmen that might actually bring something new to the table.

Speaking of when I saw that Gillen was saying he was going to use the book to comment on the legacy of Watchmen I did not expect to get to the end of the issue and find out how far he was going to go with the tie in.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here’s Gillen’s words from a BC interview:

“This series will turn the mirror around to reflect the deconstruction back onto the legendary Watchmen. Peter Cannon of course served as the template for Alan Moore’s Ozymandias. What if the inspirations get to respond to this modern post-Watchmen landscape of the medium?”

The issue starts 35 minutes after an alien invasion has destroyed the city. The other superheroes of the city, who are pastiches but not of Watchmen, go to Cannon to try and get his help to fight off the invasion. They do and then Cannon figures out something: The attack was all a hoax. But a hoax only he could pull off so he thinks it’s a Peter Cannon from an alternate universe. We then see whole wall of TV screens just like in Watchmen and the final page shows the alternate universe Cannon who is clearly just Ozymandias.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hmmm all color Usagi reprints? I might be interested in that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MrFlibble posted:

Yeah, I was on the fence about getting the saga editions (since I already own the individual volumes) but I have no problem shelling out for all new coloured books. Especially if they're IDW hardcovers, the TMNT ones are fantastic.

Oh. My. God.

I didn't even think of the possibility of IDW quality hardcovers. IDW makes the best hardcovers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It deserves far more credit. Also the creator of one is a raging lunatic and the creator of the other is one of the kindest people on the planet by all accounts.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

drat, issue two of Gillen's Peter Cannon was pretty freakin' wild.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

frameset posted:

You weren't kidding about this.

Never thought I’d see a group of heroes use a a hand drawn panel grid on the ground to travel between universes before.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Peter Cannon is so good! I really thought I was done with hearing what anyone else had to professionally say about Watchmen in a comic book but I like this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I stopped reading Walking Dead a long time ago but apparently tomorrow's issue (huge spoiler inbound) is a surprise finale and is the last issue of the book being published.

If that's true that is the most insane thing I've heard of a comic doing in a long time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

First off what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

Second, that actually would be pretty good! Rick accomplished what he wanted before dying. His lessons live on through Carl and even Negan changed his ways (somewhat). If the finale is something like Invincible’s where you basically jump through time showing the world/civilization coming back I’d be happy with it ending now. Or just end it up a hopeful note for Carl who has to decide who he wants to be. And you can always just start pumping out spinoffs if you want to keep that walking dead money coming in

Last, holy fuuuuuuuuck if true

There is a page floating around from the end of the book editorial where he explains it, but it spoils the ending and it does seem as if it flashes forward in time. The book is also a surprise 70+ pages long. Look it up if you want it's not difficult to find.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

in one version for 616 castle hosed up a hit and accidentally released the virus, but didnt it originate with ultimate ff or something?

Not talking about Marvel Zombies.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Dying And The Dead is awesome but it got cut short due to other commitments. I love the art in it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also all the Bebop & Rocksteady minis are required reading. Not so much for the ongoing story. But just to improve your quality of life.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also worth reading is the Archie TMNT from the '90s for how weird it is. Not worth reading is the Image TMNT series from the '90s that they recently started continuing at IDW for some drat reason. Never liked that version.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dawgstar posted:

I read a lot of the Archie stuff as a kid and it was way more fun and inventive than the cartoon, even if I remember bizarre things happening like Krang winding up as Shredder's head and being really mad they just sort of murked the Mighty Mutanimals off-screen. I wonder if it was the first place where April decided to be a kunoichi which now feels like a semi-regular (understandably) character beat.

Never touched the Image stuff. What was wrong with it?

It was too '90s tryhard. Cyborg Dontello, scarred masked Raphael, Leo had his hand cut off. And then even dumber stuff like Raphael taking over as The Shredder and leading The Foot or Splinter spending a large portion of the series as a mutant bat.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dawgstar posted:

That does sound unfortunate. Doesn't Leo lead the Foot at least in one incarnation?

Answering this question would potentially spoil some stuff you've already said you wanted to check out. But let's just say the answer isn't just a simple yes or no.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah Brendan Fletcher has had a really lovely time with Covid, last I heard he was still having issues and he got it a year ago.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chairman Capone posted:

I enjoyed it when it came out. It was a fun series that did some interesting things with what a zero-gravity world would be like. It did feel like it ended kind of abruptly but better to have a generally contained limited series than something that just spun out forever, I suppose.

There was a movie adaptation announced a while ago but haven't heard anything further about it since.

Unfortunately that's why you don't see more of books with cool ideas like that go on at length. People want to make a six issue mini to option a screenplay and then move on to something else. At least this book maybe tied itself up in the end. That's why I generally sit out a lot of books until I'm sure they get an ending because it seems like a lot of indie comics these days are just illustrated movie pitches.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dawgstar posted:

How was Josh Williamson's Birthright? I saw that just wrapped following him on Twitter.

I've been reading it since it started and it's great. I'm now only reading it in trades though so I've not read the final volume yet and it's been a while since volume nine came out. The thing is that volume nine pretty much wrapped the main story of the series so I'm interested to see what the last volume actually even is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The GB comics being digitally unavailable has been a thing for months. The word is that Sony wants everything GB related to pause until after the movie is released so as to not overextend the property.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SnyderVerse time!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nah, I like the idea in theory but I've not seen anything that I felt compelled to actually want to read. I almost did Zdarsky's but I opted not to. A friend of mine did the Hickman one and said it's been mostly dossiers and backstory so far which is one of the reasons I didn't go for his so I'm glad I didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kwyndig posted:

What's this about comixology shutting down? Googling didn't give me anything useful.

It's not. It's just further integrating into Amazon as part of the Kindle store. The Comixology storefront itself will go away.