Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Godzilla wowed the hell out of me. The art was amazing and the story has me really interested to see where it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is this where we talk about Half Century War? Becuase man is this comic loving awesome and beautiful to look at. #3 is finally out (digitally, anyways) and I'm loving every single page of it. And the cover/preview for #4 is all :circlefap:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Godzilla: Half Century War has been so drat good. I would love to see that poo poo on the big screen or as a mini series. Living the story through a narrator that has been hunting Godzilla for decades now is awesome. And that last panel :fap:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rat Queens is going animated

quote:

Image Comics' Rat Queens -- which earned IGN's Best Comic of the Month back in January, by the way -- is getting the animated series treatment, thanks to Weta Workshop's Pukeko Pictures and Heavy Metal.
For those out of loop (which you shouldn't be, because Rat Queens is awesome!), Kurtis J. Weibe and Roc Upchurch created the dark fantasy-comedy comic, which follows four miscreant maidens -- Hannah the Rockabilly Elven Mage, Violet the Hipster Dwarven Fighter, Dee the Atheist Human Cleric and Betty the Hippy Smidgen Thief -- who are hired to kill monsters and other such evils.
The studios plan on developing the books into a half-hour cartoon before pitching it to TV networks, Variety reports. Pukeko's Martin Baynton and Adam Fratto will produce the show, along with Heavy Metal's Jeff Krelitz. HM's David Boxenbaum and Rob Prior will executive produce.
"Rat Queens is a standout in the marketplace as a diving rod for fangirls, a market as yet untouched by most comics publishers," Krelitz said of the announcement. "It is not only perfect for the TV space, but much needed."
In addition to Rat Queens, Heavy Metal is also producing Peter Panzerfaust, another of Weibe's comics, in partnership with BBC Worldwide.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wait holy poo poo Stokoe is doing another Godzilla book and the first issue came out TODAY? And it's about Godzilla going to Hell?

Holy poo poo how is this the first time in hearing about this???

quote:

Taking cues from Zdzis?aw Beksi?ski,, Dante Alighieri and Ricardo Delgado, Godzilla in Hell #1 is a silent dose of the beautifully surreal. There are 10 words to Stokoe's dialogue here, and three of those are “Godzilla in Hell”. The remaining 7, the classic “Abandon all hope, ye who enter here,” are summarily destroyed by Godzilla in the issue's opening pages; cementing the entire ethos of this miniseries.

Here's the sticking point. Despite being obviously influenced by Delgado's Age of Reptiles series, Godzilla in Hell lacks the nuances of storytelling that makes Age of Reptiles so compelling. If you're a plot-fiend, this isn't the comic book for you. This is metal album cover art in comic book form, which will either be the greatest recommendation or most damning criticism. There's great passion behind Stokoe's artwork; he knows his way around the kind of quaking chaos that Godzilla is famous for.

:stare: Yeah I'm buying the hell out of this

EDIT: God drat, Stokoe is only doing the first one. Each issue gets a different creative time to showcase the different layers of hell. Still sounds fun as all hell.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 15, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

If you would like to read a book where Teddy Roosevelt is basically Batman and has to put together a team that includes Harry Houdini, Thomas Edison, Annie Oakley, Jack Johnson, and Monk Eastman in order to race to Cuba and stop an Alien Invasion during the Spanish-American War then Rough Riders from Aftershcock Comics is the book for you. First issue came out this week and it was pretty drat good.

Well I can't really say no to this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sigma-X posted:

Apparently "pupal" and "deadname" are secret code words here or something? IDGI

Deadname is their birth name, basically. I idea about pupal.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wanderer posted:

I read #133 today.

In a book with the tagline "The Best Superhero Book in the Universe," the characters conclude, vocally, in these words, that "being a hero is bullshit," so the protagonist and his girlfriend set out with the specific stated goal of killing a man.

Well to be fair that man killed the gently caress out of them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Woah poo poo Stokoe is doing an Aliens book? Is it as good as I hope it is?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The 3 luther strode series were probably my favorite purchase of last year or early this year.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There was a book either here or the badass thread that I'm trying to hunt down. It basically was knights vs aliens/xenos? Or at least the few panels posted showed that. Any ideas?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

IUG posted:

Sounds like you're possibly talking about Lake of Fire.
https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/lake-of-fire-1

That's exactly it! Thanks!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wicked + Divine

WHAT THE gently caress WODEN

Wh...

WHAT THE gently caress MINERVA

i dont know what's going on anymore

I did not see that coming.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Saga started so good for me but then after 2 volumes or so it now feels completely aimless and just spinning wheels until he figures out what he wants to do with the story.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

So which way did he go? Did he kill everyone in a ridiculous gore filled finale or did he try to be clever and think it would be a big twist to give everyone a happy ending? I can’t really see it ending any other way with Kirkman writing.

Pretty positive / happy ending, all things considered. Final issue, anyways. The last dozen or so which was the final arc / battle had a gently caress ton of gore and death. This was more of an epilogue / sendoff to everyone that’s alive.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 15, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ok so I’m an idiot and saw there’s a :bsg: vs :bsg: comic out and it’s your classic old show meets new show but issue 2 has the most batshit insane idea / throwaway plot I’ve ever seen and I loving love it for it. So quick recap in the off chance you don’t know anything about BSG: Humans made cylons, cylons rebelled, humans almost all die but a few escape. In the new show, they introduce the concept of skin jobs: cylons that are “human” and used to infiltrate and sabotage humanity’s efforts. As a relevant side note: Richard Hatch played Apollo (Commander Adama’s son) in the old show and Tom Zarek, a terrorist and politician, in the new show. So issue two has the crews meet and Adama is introducing everyone to Adama until old show Apollo is introduced... and the new show crew proceeds to freak out and have their marines point their guns at the old crew. Turns out Apollo and Tom Zarek looks exactly the same so the new crew thinks they’re cylons for a little while.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wanderer posted:

I'm going to need to see where the second issue goes, but Ennis's new book from Aftershock, A Walk Through Hell, has one of the most shocking opening scenes of any book I've seen this year.

Looked it up in Comixology to see if the preview had the first few ages and it did.

Jesus.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh hell yeah I’m all for this. I’ve been loving Descender and the art is so good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yvonmukluk posted:

Speaking of Boom! Comixology's doing a sale on their Graphic Novels/Trade Paperbacks.

I personally recommend Giant Days.

I bought Klaus and Welcome Back and both were pretty fun.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There’s a lot of thing that make me angry about Stalin but even after reading through it all again last week and now this chapter I really don’t understand his ungodly fear of Maria and him having her killed. She completely overpowered two battleships with ease and with the help of Churchill took down a third. That she refuses to kill or march on past Russia shouldn’t be seen as a negative. She was an unstoppable defense and after the battles had sent definite messages to both Germany and Japan to leave Russia alone. Whatever resentment she may have had from how she was made seem to be gone now so seriously, why get rid of your strongest asset?

Speculation ahead: I’m guessing once her activation is completed, Tamara will team up with Churchill in a similar way she did with Maria. Japan is now pretty much done after this rout, Russia needs to loving pay for this, and I’m really interested to see what the Americans do with Siegmund.

Also do we know how long Invasion is going to be? I feel like we’re getting to the endgame now.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 1, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

More Uber chat. I’ve always been fascinated by the note bubbles throughout the series written from a future POV. At the end of #12 it says that the events it (Yamato invasion) precipitated would be one of the primary causes leading to the soviet removal from the war.

Maria heading east to face Yamato, letting him go, and then getting killed by her own people has to be the events referred there meaning this is going to bite Russia in the rear end badly. Which is good because María owned. She was around since the very beginning! She was your gold atheist god!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m still waiting for the last volume on Comixology :negative:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

fadam posted:

Without mega spoilers, can anyone confirm if things eventually start working out for the good guys in Uber: Invasion lol? I just finished the first volume and I loved it but dang I was hoping (probably, foolishly) for at least a small win for the Allies.

How do you feel about phyrric victories. Because there’s definitely wins but the nature of the conflict doesn’t really have the place for winners. I have it in singles what does vol 1 cover, 1-5? Because if that’s as far as you’ve gone then I definitely recommend going further.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 22, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Synthbuttrange posted:

Uber Invasion this week. *hyperventilates*

I’m so loving ready to be really hyped or really mad.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m so loving ready to be really hyped or really mad.

HYPE HYPE HYPE god drat I love atheist anarchist god Maria

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There was a sale for all of Uber and Invasion a few months ago. I expect another around the holidays.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Neurosis posted:

Yep. A few gut punches there. [Even with so many of the characters doing morally reprehensible things, it's hard not to get attached to the ones who look good by comparison to the monsters.

Yeah, that was a really good issue. Can’t help but feel bad for Yamato. He razed the West and like most of the Battleships he’s a loving monster, but he was pretty much forced into multiple suicide missions that he kept surviving only to be forced into one last fight he knew he couldn’t win and yet he still did it for the Empire. Each country except the US is down to 1 battleship now which should make engagements a lot less complicated. The British have Tamara (and technically Churchill but she can’t really be conventionally deployed). Russia has Maria and is arguably the most powerful battleship alive. Sieglinde for Germany is alive but beaten. The US had Razor but he’s pretty much out for good. So I guess it’s going to come down to how Tamara (probably supported by Churchill and the American cruisers) deals with finishing Germany off. Tamara being a battleship is obviously going to be problematic because she’s a god damned child and holy gently caress this war has had terrible people on all sides.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Synthbuttrange posted:

I wonder what Leah's capabilities are now. When she was being activated, her physical only stack gave her incredible speed, then slowed down as her bones fused up. Wonder if that's fixed.

If her engagement against the cruisers was any indication, she’s pretty close to indestructible from a distance and deadly up close. No halo effect limits what you can do and even with a “fixed” leg she’s pretty limited as to the fights she can partake. Both of her successful engagements involved the element of surprise.

I’m sure Patton will have a few more tricks for her now that she’s back from Russia.

I doubt Razor’s coming back, though. One unintended positive effect from Russia's end is that Leah is now proof the halo effect can be used to recreate/heal flesh and injuries. As of the last issue, only Maria, her students, and Germany/Goebbels had shown this in use. so maybe they'll turn some R&D into fixing Razor back into play.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 1, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Synthbuttrange posted:

We've known that since Maria and co came back with both hands! Its whether it was instinctually repairing their own poo poo vs using it to actually fix up someone else that was in question.

Right. We knew that but I don’t think the rest of the world did. Maria (and Russia) have been somewhat detached from the allies for most of the war in terms of intelligence and Stalin probably wasn’t sharing much back. Between that and creating the muck Maria has a lot of unique abilities that the allies may simply not be aware enhance humans could do.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I kinda fell off the Rat Queens wagon after their third change up or so but it seems like he’s making the right move for himself and leaving the book in good hands so I’ll definitely give it a shot when it returns.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I was late to get through it but I just finished reading Descender and holy gently caress that book was loving awesome and gorgeous from start to finish. HERE BE SPOILER OF THE END: the last volume in particular was just PACKED from start to finish with so many revelations and oh poo poo moments. From the robots reveal, explaining the first attack, god drat MAGIC out of nowhere, and then ending the way it did was so drat good. The last issue’s first line “This is the way the universe ended...” just sets a level of expectation of how things end and then proceeds to not just meet, but exceeds them.

The art was just beautiful and every page and character was just lovingly drawn and written. There were some seriously good ideas being told and the story never really slowed down at any points. Characters came and went, met and left only to meet again at a later point, and everything just had this awesome interconnection that I haven’t seen in a comic in a long rear end time. Time-21 was awesome. I went through the books not really knowing how a sequel would work but now that I know what’s coming?

I am so loving HYPED for Ascender.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s great how consistently bad Wodin has been at literally everything.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

Peter Cannon is so good! I really thought I was done with hearing what anyone else had to professionally say about Watchmen in a comic book but I like this.

It’s loving insane and I love every bit of it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Saga is at a good point to shake things up considerably as a return from hiatus. The last arc or so kinda dragged but the last 2 issues were pretty good (even though I HATED what happened in them) and now would be a good time to really jump ahead into the next stage of Hazel’s life and move past Marco and Alana

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Synthbuttrange posted:

surprising no one the new Uber series did not emerge.

I just want a series to follow Maria’s anarchist Russia.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TheHoosier posted:

Just ordered Godzilla In Hell #1 and I'm stoked that 1. The concept exists and 2. That it was available in physical print for less than $20+.

The whole series is real good but #5 is loving amazing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So Walking Dead, after a huge arc involving the Commonwealth, has finally done it and killed Rick rather unceremoniously. It was actually a pretty shocking moment since the first shot was last month’s cliffhanger but then today begins and immediately and brutally Rick is killed. No one finds him until the next day and the rest of the issue is Carl dealing with the aftermath. Interesting enough it seems Rick’s legacy and lasting efforts are being focused on two aspects: his raising of Carl who in this issue showed both his good and mature side and his darker more cold blooded side. The second being the redemption of Negan which only really happened because of Rick’s mercy. And the letter at the end of the comics seems to indicate that Negan will be taking a big focus moving forward and he’s currently an anti-hero bit of a person genuinely trying to do good while also still being very much Negan.

I think Rick’s death was a long time coming but it was still crazy to see it actually happen the way it did. Considering this comic refuses to end I’m glad we’re getting a nice real change moving forward.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Saga really grabbed me early on but then it started dragging on and doing some dumb gratuitous stuff and I kinda fell off the wagon. It started picking up pace on the story recently but then it goes and starts a year long hiatus.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

I stopped reading Walking Dead a long time ago but apparently tomorrow's issue (huge spoiler inbound) is a surprise finale and is the last issue of the book being published.

If that's true that is the most insane thing I've heard of a comic doing in a long time.

First off what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

Second, that actually would be pretty good! Rick accomplished what he wanted before dying. His lessons live on through Carl and even Negan changed his ways (somewhat). If the finale is something like Invincible’s where you basically jump through time showing the world/civilization coming back I’d be happy with it ending now. Or just end it up a hopeful note for Carl who has to decide who he wants to be. And you can always just start pumping out spinoffs if you want to keep that walking dead money coming in

Last, holy fuuuuuuuuck if true

One last thing: last issue, Rick’s death, was issue 192 which marked the end of compendium 4. So sneaking in one last issue to close out the series now would work

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

There is a page floating around from the end of the book editorial where he explains it, but it spoils the ending and it does seem as if it flashes forward in time. The book is also a surprise 70+ pages long. Look it up if you want it's not difficult to find.

Just did and yeah this is definitely the end. And from the sound of it is exactly the ending the series needed. The commonwealth arc was pretty much the culmination of the conflicts the series had dealt with. It was an escalation where Rick literally fought off the old ways of living and left the people wanting something better. He becomes a martyr and now we get to see the fruits of that sacrifice.