Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like Velvet a lot but I'm ready to start trade waiting for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

I'm only a couple issues into Deadly Class and already I'm leery of its premise. Does it rise above it and do something interesting with the done to death framing of "orphan does awesome at secret society boarding academy"?
Hahahaha. He doesn't do awesome. Not at all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I enjoy it, but only because I keep reading it hoping for Marcus to finally get his comeuppance. I'm not sure that's actually going to happen, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just a fill-in thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What more hook do you need?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheQat posted:

Copra round 3 is out and i didn't know til now :toot: http://bergenstreetcomicspress.bigcartel.com/

Yeah, I went to order Round 2 a few weeks ago and saw that was out and got both.

I had been hoping Fiffe would be at Awesomecon or Baltimore Comicon last year to buy from him but he wasn't. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Hm was that it for I Hate Fairyland?
No. Skottie Young tweeted that issue 5 was intended to be the end, but it's been doing so well he's continuing. (I haven't read the issue yet, but if it feels like a finale, that's why.)
https://twitter.com/skottieyoung/status/699986179496742912

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think Letter 44 would be too terribly difficult to make. Focus more on the earth-bound politics, and save your effects budget for a few episodes set in space.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

Letter 44 is being made, I thought? Though given what happens later on, I am struggling to imagine it all on a modest TV budget.

I don't think the latter stuff is really difficult on a TV budget. It certainly wouldn't cost more than a typical Star Trek episodes, and likely a lot less since you don't have to custom design and construct all the costumes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's a thread but it hasn't been posted in since July.

I'm keeping up with it, but I think it lost something somewhere.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

If you would like to read a book where Teddy Roosevelt is basically Batman and has to put together a team that includes Harry Houdini, Thomas Edison, Annie Oakley, Jack Johnson, and Monk Eastman in order to race to Cuba and stop an Alien Invasion during the Spanish-American War then Rough Riders from Aftershcock Comics is the book for you. First issue came out this week and it was pretty drat good.

Well, okay, I guess you sold me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Image is "indie" by literally any definition.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Crap is that out already? Time to reboot Origin.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It would be cool if you told us its name.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hickman's said it's just going to be a bunch of miniseries now. I assume whenever he gets a story idea and PItara's available.

So, no, but kinda.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Avatar has a Kickstarter going basically to preorder the second volume of Kieron Gillen's Uber. Reward tiers include digital copies of the upcoming series, digital copies of the entire series to date, physical copies of the series to date in a slipcase, and more. It's already fully funded, but $29 for the series to date is totally worth it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/avatarpress/uber-invasion

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm liking each successive issue less.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Key bits (from memory):
-The Pantheon moved from Valhalla to London
-Baal is the de facto leader of the Pantheon
-Woden is a creepy misogynist
-They cooperated with police in investigating Ananke
-They're not entirely sure if they'll actually die at the end of two years

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sex Criminals is coming back February 15. Yay.

https://twitter.com/ElusiveJ/status/801126835861921792

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure Hickman said he's just going to put out miniseries as he has idea/Pitarra is available, so it could be five years, it could be tomorrow!

(It's not tomorrow.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Neurosis posted:

we won't see maria again until issue 8.. other spoilers:
* the next issue is quite clearly going to be a hiroshima analogue centred in the us, since gillen is trying to bring home the devastation of the war to americans
* the 'invasion' collection will be the conclusion of the story. it won't go past the end of the war.
* there'll be one other artist for one arc, but otherwise it will keep the same.
* gillen is very proud of issue 2.

Er, a couple things there that you're not entirely accurate about :
* He won't commit to anything post-war, but also didn't say he wouldn't. He says there might not be much of anything left, and doesn't want to give that eventuality away, one way or the other.
* The other artist may end up being the regular artist for the latter half, but he's not sure of it yet.

Anyway, really glad to see it back, and I'm looking forward to more.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, throughout the series he's been throwing in bits and piece of the Nazis and their opponents realizing Germany can't win for a number of reasons. Their goal now is just to take as much of the world down with them. Incidentally, this was what the real Nazis did, as well.

That said, I have a hard time believing the "there'll be nothing left at the end" bit since the series has been written with historical-sounding narration since the very first issue. I don't feel like Gillen is the type to use that kind of narrative hook without the endgame in mind.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/jasonlatour/status/808744890192510976

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CBR has a preview of Animosity: The Rise #1, if you want a bunch of panels of animals being assholes.
http://www.cbr.com/animosity-the-rise-1-exclusive-preview/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's not a new #1, it's a one-shot special. The main series is continuing on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wanderer posted:

It looks like Bennett is hanging an entire issue or two off of the somewhat-well-known "OH HOLY gently caress" montage sequence from the first issue of Animosity, since it's running at about the same ratio: some animals are angry at humans, some are still pretty fond of them (or are actively in love with them), and some have other agendas entirely.

The book's sort of half-serious, with most of the comedy coming from how sentient animals are just as likely to be goddamn idiots as humans are, like a humpback whale picking a weird moment to make Pokemon jokes.

To be fair, that montage in the first issue was about as long as that preview, so who really know if the rest of the book will be the same.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, the Nazis themselves have said they know they can't win, and they're just doing their most to make sure no one else does, either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Though, Nazis invading America is a lot less appealing now that Nazis control America IRL. :smith:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Connellingus posted:

This week's issue of Saga was a master class in the art of the gutpunch.

I read it this morning and the whole thing is just "fuuuuuuuuck"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't consider something only readable via purchase (even if it's $0 name your own price) to be a webcomic, so much as a comic that's distributed digital-first.

I grant this is a thin technicality, and there's probably lots of actual webcomics that fit this, too.

If I was really going to define it:

Webcomic: distributed page/strip at a time as completed (ideally with a regular schedule), may or may not have a serial story
Digital-first comic: distributed in large chunks at a time, more likely has a serial story, at least within a single book/volume/issue

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 6, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No Badrock, no buys!

But that looks neat.

Definitely gonna grab Grrl Scouts, too.

And I was thinking about what Letter 44 would be like if it started with Not-Obama passing along the truth to Not-Trump.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Image announced Matt Wagner's Mage: The Hero Denied, the final series will be coming out this summer!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Use the comic to get into the music :)

This was me.

It's a good story, anyway, just the references will be way over your head.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've only read Bowers' collaborations with Chris Sims, but they're always fun. I don't know how much of that is Bowers and how much is Sims, but it sounds like it's worth checking out. I'm curious about the artist since Liefeld found him on Deviantart, so while his designs and linework might be good (and it does look like it!), I'd like to see his storytelling.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Also the artist's name is GOONFACE

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I actually finally just read Godshaper and yeah that's a really cool book. It did a good job world building without getting in the way of the story, which seems really interesting. I'm definitely on board.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Comixology is a week behind on it for some reason. Even Gillen seemed surprised that it came out yesterday.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/882947359096832001

He seemed a bit confused by it, like I said.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kieron Gillen has an email list he sends out on weeks he has books out (usually). This week had some interesting insight about piracy, since Uber came out in print last week, but only hit digital today. The first bit is fairly obvious, but the latter is interesting:

quote:

(As an aside, it was interesting to see this as an angle on comics piracy in 2017. Back in the 00s, there was industrial level scanning stuff going on. In 2017, Uber Invasion 7 simply didn't turn up on the piracy sites. In other words, the core engine which drives piracy now seems to be 100% screen captures, and thus stuff which debuts in print first can slip the system. Of course, if more books were doing that, clearly pirates would respond to that, so I'm not suggesting it as a an anti-piracy tactic. I wouldn't be suggesting anything as an anti-piracy tactic. Piracy is something that doesn't really impact on my thinking or planning. That said, I smiled a little when I received no angry asks about Uber Invasion 7 in the last week, which sort of gives away the sort of reader who sends the angry asks and confirms my not really priotising answering them. Also, scans daily needs to be renamed to caps daily. I digress.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I thought it was an interesting way to tell that story and I'm curious if it was an accurate representation of Soule's workspace. That said, I'm pretty sure it was still supposed to be in-universe, though I could be wrong.