Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

cyberpunksurvivor posted:

Is Blue Estate any good? 'Cause I just saw the cover and I want this comic and a Caucasian real bad...

I'd also like an opinion on this because those covers plus what looks like an homage to Raymond Chandleresque detective stories intrigue me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This thread just cost me like $200.

Tangentially, does anyone know why Matz and Jacamon's The Killer Vol. 2 is the only one sold out everywhere? Should I just get the (softcover) Omnibus or will it likely get reprinted in hardcover?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Are any of the non-Hellboy/BPRD Mignola books worth reading? I've been picking up Abe Sapien because the first one had some awesome art and the stories are fun, although Abe is pretty much a blank slate of a character to me, but what about Lobster Johnson, Baltimore, Witchfinder, whatever else I'm missing?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

So can someone please recommend me some trade paperbacks/graphic novels along the lines of
- a) Saga and Prophet, with sci-fi and aliens and awesomeness (PS: I tried the Mass Effect comics because I love the games, but by god they are poo poo comics)

There aren't any major aliens that I can remember, but you might want to check out Alan Moore's The Ballad of Halo Jones. The only real issue is that it's unfinished and likely to ever be finished, but it's still very much a worthwhile read, even though it is stunted at like a quarter of what it should be.

Long shot recommendations would be Planetary (despite having some superheroics to it) and The Manhattan Projects, which is a bit...bizarre.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Did Powers end up being a good read? I only read the first TPB and I enjoyed it, but I don't know if it maintains quality or just drops. I don't even know if it's finished, but according to Wikipedia it doesn't seem like it?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I just caught up with the available two trades of Saga and then I remembered the reason I held off on reading Saga is because I knew the wait for the next trade would suck. That was some good reading, though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Is Five Fists of Science worth picking up for $10? I like most of what I've read by Matt Fraction (Hawkguy, Immortal Iron Fist, Iron Man, and FF), and the concept reminds me a bit of Tales from the Bully Pulpit, which I loved. But I think I'm the one guy who doesn't enjoy Manhattan Projects, so I'm not sure if it's anything like that.

I didn't think it was bad, but I also didn't think it was particularly extraordinary. It kinda felt like a dumbed down version of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or something.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Gavok posted:

Haha, welp! I am officially done with Invincible. I put up with a lot in the last couple years, but I think Invincirape is the last straw.

I'm almost curious as to what happens but at the same time I kinda don't want to know.

But yeah I sorta realized from The Walking Dead that Kirkman is a fun enough writer until he runs out of whatever meager direction he originally had, and then just ups the shock value because that's easy. I call it the DC Writing Method.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Given that Glory is done and Prophet is ending soon Image are rolling along with a new reboot/relaunch/reimaging/re-whatever of another old Liefeld property. This time it's his an Alan Moore's old book Supreme but with Warren Ellis and Tula Lotay doing it. Ellis is Ellis and I've really liked what I've seen from Lotay's stuff. Should be good.

On a related note, are there any plans to actually reprint the Alan Moore Supreme? I can't seem to find it anywhere, which is a shame since it was apparently good Alan Moore.

On an unrelated note, thank you to everyone who recommended Rat Queens. The trade was one of the most fun reads I had ever read.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

CHEW completely owns despite the fact that they repeat the entire premise seemingly every issue. This becomes incredibly evident when you're reading it in trade form.

Get it now so you can be into it before it becomes a (hopefully successful) TV series! Geek cred!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

There was going to be a TV show on showtime, but that fell through. I doubt it will ever become one.

And here I thought Hannibal ushered in a new age of TV cannibalism :( People should still read Chew, though.

Also, I'm morbidly curious as to what the new Invincible is about now.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So I'm reading Prophet, up to Vol. 3, and uh, is it supposed to be incomprehensible. Like I get the gist of the story, but I feel that parts are missing, which may be tied to the fact that A) I don't remember previous volumes because they don't make sense at the time and B) I had never read or heard of Liefeld's original. I like the worlds and settings and stuff, but drat do I have no idea what's going on.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

moot the hopple posted:

Concurrent to all this is Troll, who is another Image legacy character and once part of the team Youngblood (along with Diehard and Badrock). Back then, he looked like this goofy motherfucker but in the current series he appears as a mysteriously cowled and cloaked figure who is influencing both Newfather and Old Man Prophet through dreams and visions. Troll warns both sides of a "red pain" residing in the heart of the galaxy that threatens everything. Not to spoil anything, but his plans involve Badrock, another long-lived member of Youngblood. The book has made allusions to him already with mentions of "McCall's children", the living celestial bodies floating in space.

Somehow I knew that Wolverine clone existed and that he was named Troll, but I never put two and two together. Christ.

That summed it up pretty well and I'm glad that I'm not missing some glaring hole even though it really feels like I am most of the time. The series reminds me a lot of The Incal in just how crazy the world is, without any sort of introduction to any of the craziness.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Cloks posted:

I just picked up the newest volume of Manhattan Projects and it seems like they've really lost any central thread. A lot of moving the pieces around and they killed one of the more interesting characters ... for what? Unless I'm mistaken, there's an encroaching alien invasion that's barely mentioned.

I'm kinda sad that every volume of Manhattan Projects seems to trim the cast by one, which is a shame since the cast is so interesting that I wish they would do something interesting with them (besides Infinite Oppenheimer, that owned). I thought the whole separate projects thing would be a good thread, but no they seem to drop that almost immediately. Is this series set to end soon because it doesn't seem to be heading anywhere in particular and I'm afraid that it'll get more meandering than it already is.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I read Pretty Deadly, Vol. 1, and while I liked it, I thought the last couple issues felt completely rushed. The pacing just kinda went "Cryptic backstory, actual backstory, climax" without really anything in between. Again, I'm going to read more, especially because of that art, but drat did I feel like something was missing in the middle.

It's also weird to read this beside East of West, in that they both have fantastical/sci-fized western settings, and a very strong focus on Death.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Also, if you read only the TPB, you're missing out on the Johnny Coyote/Molly Raven side-story that was included in the first two issues that basically explains who they are and why they're mixed up in the story in the first place. They're not vital but they help.

Why weren't they included in the TPB!? I'm going to assume they spring up in the events of Vol. 2 (maybe?), so I hope that stuff will get added somewhere. But yeah, they were rather puzzling inclusions considering they didn't really do a whole lot in the finale.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Unmature posted:

How is Pretty Deadly? Thinkin' about getting that trade. I love Deconnick as a personality and what she's doing to help women in comics, but I thought the few issues I read of Captain Marvel were a snoozefest.

I liked the first trade, but the ending seemed super rushed/sudden to me. Art is superlative though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Speaking of french books, I read the first issue of a comic called Siegfried that blew my socks off a couple of years ago. Its based off the Wagner Rings cycle, and is the recovered remnants of botched animated project from the 80s. Its also pretty rad. Anyone know if there any subsequent issues published in the states? Internet is not being helpful.

The Valkyrie is out. I think there's supposed to be a third volume. I also really wish The Secret Volume Omnibus 1 were still commonly available.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

moot the hopple posted:

Waiting sucks but I'm really happy that American publishers are making the effort to bring cool Euro comics to the English-speaking audience. Like I still can't believe we're going to get the complete Corto Maltese next year.

I love finding new Euro comics and really miss the old Euro comics thread. Can anyone sell me on Corto Maltese? Also, Amazon just shows one Corto Maltese volume (of 12) coming out in December. Does that mean they're going to try for a monthly release or is there an omnibus-like book that you're talking about?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

While I was adding Southern Bastards 1 to my Amazon wish list, I noticed Kieren Gillon's The Wicked + The Divine Vol. 1 up for preorder. I thought he was generally well received, but I had never heard anything about this until it was in the recommended thing, so...how is it?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I burned through the first volume of Southern Bastards. It felt a LOT like Scalped, especially in terms of theme and pacing. An ex-military protagonist who is super reluctant to go back home but does so anyway, only to find that said home is basically run by a "legitimate businessman" who everyone knows is a monster but does nothing about it. At the end of it there's even a main character death, but obviously the details surrounding the spoiler is way different.

I realize a lot of it is superficial, but it all adds up to this impression that it is kinda samey, like it was sort of a reskin. But after the events of #4 (and the general strength of Scalped), I'm still going to give it a chance.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Why does Rat Queens release so slowly :( Also, have they figured out who the new artist is going to be?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Does anyone have any opinions on The Red Star? I noticed that it was recently reprinted in HC, so I was wondering if it was worth picking up. I've heard good things about it, but that is the extent of my knowledge.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I just read a series called The Killer and holy poo poo did I hate it. I expected some sort of noir-ish crime drama with an assassin, but instead I am fairly certain I read a story that recasts Holden Caulfield as an assassin. There would be pages long diatribes about how lovely the world is because of capitalism instead of, y'know, using the inherent drama of being a goddamn assassin. I expected Leon the Professional and instead got somebody's Livejournal rantings. It was completely insufferable.

Those Jem character designs are great, though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I keep reading Manhattan Projects and I have no idea if I like it or not. I think the ideas are pretty cool and whatnot, but it could really benefit from having some focus. Years seemingly pass between issues and it just doesn't really feel like it's building up to anything. Like in trade 5, when Star City gets taken over, that seemed like a moment that should have had more impact, but it was met with a shrug from most of the other characters. A lot of the characters don't really feel fleshed out in a way that I would understand what motivates them besides SCIENCE! or really even anything about a lot of their personalities. Yet despite this, I find myself intrigued by it, but maybe I am just deluded by the hope that it will all culminate in something. I really can't explain it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

How the gently caress did the Walking Dead get nominated for a loving Eisner this year. gently caress

Maybe the Eisner's have a new category for "Best series that continues to go nowhere."

(I stopped reading somewhere around them finding Eugene and Abraham et al, so if it did go somewhere, I accept my shame.)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

krakagar posted:

Did you read his Neonomicon? Apparently it's a prequel to that. If it's anything like that was then I hope you're not squeamish or particularly easily offended. There's pretty unpleasant stuff in there.

I'm not even going to spoiler it because gently caress Neonomicon, but a woman gets raped repeatedly by a deep one for like 2-3 issues, if not more. It might have worked as horror in the "real horror" sense, but then there are moments of inappropriate or misplaced levity like her giving the thing a hand job because she was exhausted or something.

There was a time when I would have been super excited to see Alan Moore do a story of Lovecraftian horror, but that time has apparently long passed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

krakagar posted:

Is anyone reading Injection? I really enjoyed the first issue and it looks like it's going to be a proper good Elllis comic, but just for once I'd like to read an Ellis comic where something actually happens/ get explained within the first three issues.

I say this as a massive Ellis fanboy, and I loved Trees but there's no doubt that it reads so much better in one sitting. Injection has more of a planetary vibe to it though so I'm hoping for a bit of a snappier pace.

Desolation Jones and Fell were pretty self explanatory within the first few pages.

RIP Desolation Jones though :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Talking of Ellis, I recently saw a hardcover collection of both Ocean and Orbiter in one volume, are either or both of those comics good?

I just read this hardcover collection, so here are my short thoughts.

Ocean has a very typical Ellis protagonist with, really, a very typical Ellis supporting cast. It definitely had some neat ideas, but if it were a movie, which it seemed like it was desperately trying to be, it would be something to watch casually on Netflix or something. Also, the Windows/Microsoft commentary feels so incredibly dated now.

Orbiter at its core had a very interesting mystery, which meant that it was an even greater disappointment when it actually concluded. It felt like Ellis trying to do his version of Rendezvous with Rama or some other "first contact with inscrutably alien THING" story, but it got kinda lost in its own technobabble. If you want to read a whole lot about physics that are either super theoretical or complete gobbledegook, you might be more interested, but it didn't really deal with the sense of exploration and discovery that I was hoping it'd provide.

That being said, if you like Ellis, you might as well read them. Just don't expect like, Planetary or Fell or Desolation Jones or Transmet or

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Being the artist for Rat Queens must be like being the drummer in Spinal Tap. I'm glad they already have an artist though, since I assume they sorta had some advance notice on this.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I just finished reading the first Lazarus HC, and while I liked it, it comes off like a sci-fi/post-apocalyptic Game of Thrones, although I suppose "competing groups vying for control" isn't exactly the most original setup in the world. But having a pair of blonde incest twins in each is just a weird thing to throw in there. That being said, I still enjoyed it and I like the art a lot, but one minor question was why Forever (Vol. 2 minor spoilers) let the guy run off with the bomb-making chemicals without doing a thing to stop or track him. Wasn't she on the rooftop of the shed that was being stolen from?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Soonmot posted:

Did the trade have all the back matter text about the different houses and their histories?

Yeah, it did. I didn't delve too deep into it yet since I kinda wanted the worldbuilding to be a bit more organic and through the story etc, but it's there.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Soonmot posted:

There's a lot done through the story, but outside of a prequel series, I dOubt we'd ever learn most of what the text portions were about. I'll be picking up the trades then.

Note that I don't know if the softcovers have them, since I picked up the HC.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

What happened to The Manhattan Projects? Did that end/get cancelled? Because man, that is kind of an unsatisfying ending.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Alhazred posted:

So I finished the second trade of the Wicked+Divine....I really did not see that coming..

Even knowing that something was going to happen, I didn't quite realize that it was that. That's...certainly a thing. Although I suspected something was about to go down when Ananke was really laying on the "HEY BAPHOMET, you know what you shouldn't do? Kill the other gods because you'd live longer! Don't do thaaaat!" schtick. It just made it so blatant that that character should not be trusted.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah jeez. I wonder if the whole recurrence is not a whole fake construct and she could bring up gods at any time to feed off but just bringing them in dozens every once in awhile.

Yeah, my operating theory is that Ananke is the great darkness that she spoke of, and that she's pretending to be their guide so that she can feed off their energy. Maybe after they get charged with followers first? She probably wanted Baphomet to attempt to murder someone so that she has reason to kill him, like how she was probably the one to set up the chain of events that led to Luci dying. It might also explain why those last gods from the last recurrence killed themselves, rather than die by her hand.

More, MOOOOORE.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Can you guys use spoiler tags? I'm not too hung up on spoilers and I like reading the W+D discussion since the book is pretty cool, but I read in trades and would prefer not to have things be spoiled, especially in a thread that's as general as this. Thanks in advance!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Does anyone know if there are any plans for a Beasts of Burden Volume 2? Dark Horse is usually pretty good about releasing their trades and stuff, so are they just waiting for more for Beasts of Burden? Also, why isn't there more Beasts of Burden?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Ror posted:

:smith:

I really loved Beasts of Burden too. But I still prefer actually hearing what's going on to waiting with bated breath.

Thanks for the detective work, but man the despair in that September post :smith:

What a shame. I'm not even the biggest animal guy in the world, but anyone who feels nothing after seeing the last page of that missing children issue (Lost?) really needs to get their humanity evaluated. That issue in general was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

pugnax posted:

No lovecrafty stuff yet, but kiddly-diddling cults look like a distinct possibility. IIRC Bru hinted that the story is something they've been wanting to do for a very long time and that it's big, so who knows where it's going to go. They've got that sweet contract gig over at Image, so it could run for 50 issues if they have that much story.

So...they're not going to continue Criminal or Incognito is what you're saying.

Edit: Nevermind then!