Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Just wanna say that I love the Goon more than I can describe in words. If you're not reading it you're doing yourself a disservice. I hope we get new issues on something like a regular schedule again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't know how to feel about Fatale. I want to like it, but the story is so opaque right now that I feel like I can't accurately judge anything.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

petewhitley posted:

I want to cast my vote for "Hahaha, really?". I was so stoked on Irredeemable for the first twenty-something issues, but by the time they introduced the parents I was pretty over it, and when the triplet showed up I was only staying on because I knew it was ending relatively soon. The series had so much promise, and I'm not sure if it just went on too long or Waid took it in the wrong direction. For awhile it was absolutely incredible though, and while I was hoping the end would somehow redeem it :rimshot:, unfortunately IMO it almost made the series into a joke. And not a particularly interesting one at that.

I really think the series should have ended like 10 issues in. Qubit constantly giving Plutonian another chance was loving ridiculous no matter how hard Waid tried to justify it through characterization, and I really only saw it as Waid wanting to extend the series past its logical ending point because he liked the setting/characters so much. Overall it's a series that came out of the gates swinging and ended up sort of rolling around in a corner for the last 2/3rds of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

How's the Valiant Reboot so far? I'm not dropping in 'till Bloodshot hits the shelves.

Also, Dynamite's publishing a Pathfinder RPG series. Any chance this'll be worth a look?

That entirely depends on how you feel about Pathfinder's design philosophies, which is to say, Dungeons and Dragons 3.5's design philosophies. Their production values are certainly going to be fine.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Massive was a pretty unimpressive introduction to the setting and characters and aside from the covers I hate the art. Probably not gonna pick up issue 2. The premise and cover art made me hope this might be the special comic of the year that gets everyone talking, but bleh.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The art looks vectorized as gently caress, to the point where everyone looks like hyper-clean mannequins with barely any motion to their actions or expressions, and almost all the shots of water were clearly just a photoshop ripple effect with some filters. It ain't no breathtaking work of art.

Don't believe the hype.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Quidnose posted:

I bought the current GODZILLA book because I thought it was the Stokoe one and wanted the awesome art.

It's not. But it's not a bad book, if you like Giant Monsters. I may actually keep reading it :v:

Really? Cuz when I read it, it was maybe the worst book of the year. Starring President ODANGO and lady BLA-BLA!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah I think the one I read came out before Swierczynski took over. It also featured like 2 pages of rednecks talking about how they'll totally take down "them critters" with their shotguns before Anguirus just runs them over. Get it, because rednecks are dumb and deserve to die.

E: It was Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 24, 2012

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Two arcs finished and I'm ready to come out and say it: Brian Wood is the best Conan writer since Roy Thomas.

That's some high praise, I'll have to check his Conan out. I generally tend to just wish I was reading Savage Sword instead when I pick up Dark Horse Conan stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

So how much longer until Disney takes the Star Wars license from Dark Horse and gives it to Marvel?

18 months, according to discussion in the other thread.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What a fun, accessible series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah but on the other hand, he's not drawing from the stupid expanded universe or the retarded prequels.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tom Scioli is amazing, I strongly recommend buying the American Barbarian book.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Apple are stupid backwards morons for being opposed to adult material and it's unfair to a lot of creators who want to sell their stuff through one of the biggest avenues of distribution available. This just happens to make them look homophobic, too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Plus, Legacy was cut short well before that merger happened.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's Nick Spencer, "not good" is the best you're gonna get.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bairfanx posted:

Yeah, one of the things I flat out love about the new Conan series is that so many die hard Conan fans loathe it for not being REH's misogynistic gore fest. Have been a fan of the series since I read the first arc, and my only complaint is that I wish Cloonan could do the whole thing.

:( I'm a die hard Conan fan and I don't think the misogyny was ever any fun. Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this comic super gory in its own right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Soonmot posted:

I was always a Conan fan, despite never having read many of the Howard originals or the comics. So when the Centenary Edition came out a few years back the extreme casual racism and misogyny was a huge shocker. Wood's Conan is everything I want from a Conan story. It's true to the spirit of Howard but without the backwards attitudes of that day and age.

The Marvel comics were pretty good at keeping that stuff out. Conan is kind of sexist in them, but for the most part that's presented as a character flaw, not a just view of the world. I hate to think that most Conan fans are of the "YOU HAVE COME TO A WORLD CALLED GOR *whipcrack*" variety.

At any rate I guess I should check out Wood's comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

7744 posted:

Yeah, Locke and Key is one of my real favorites. I just hope he can break from his dad's style in regards to ending his stuff.

What, you don't like underage sewer orgies?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Earlier in the thread, the UDON Street Fighter comics were brought up. Is there a recommended volume or collection? I had been looking at Street Fighter Legends: Ultimate Editon on Amazon, since it seems to be much cheaper than the other collections.

That's cheaper because it only collects the character-focused sidestory minis, rather than the main comic. My recommendation is to just skip the main comic and get the Street Fighter Legends: Sakura trade. That's really all you need. :allears:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

dik-dik posted:

Is there any chance that this upcoming Star Wars: Lucas Draft miniseries is going to be any good? It seems like the idea could be cool if done well, but it could also very easily just end up being awful.

Depending on which draft, it could be hilariously bad or sleep-inducingly bad. You know how there's a bunch of awful boring political stuff in the prequels, and the Jedi come off kind of like disciplinarian assholes more than wise monks? Multiply both of those by 10x, add a scene where a 15 year old fucks a maid in a closet, and that's Lucas' original draft.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That comic is pretty rad, you guys. It's not perfect and the art can get mediocre, but it's got heart, and it manages to be charming, funny, badass and entertaining.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

side_burned posted:

Has TMNT ever had a bad run in comics? All the runs I've read range from solid to great.

Archie comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

fritz posted:

Aren't all of the recent "reissue with new colors" things of the past few years regrettable at best?

And how.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

From what I understand, that's how Brian Bolland wanted it. The original coloring job got him really depressed back in the day.

Even though the original coloring is kinda garish, it's miles ahead of the recolor. Modern recolors are just horrid.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 5, 2013

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I just wanted to take a minute to rep Burn The Orphanage by Daniel Freedman and Sina Grace, which came out this past Wednesday.

It's essentially an awesomely drawn illustration of every 1990s side-scrolling beat 'em up you've ever played. Mandatory reading for everyone who spent a lot of time playing Final Fight as a kid. Gavok, I'm looking in your direction.

I'm gonna be buying the ever-loving poo poo out of that.

Gavok posted:

You have my full attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwc1Wi-mlCI

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Did anyone else get the new Shaolin Cowboy series? I'm way behind on my comics so I'm not sure how long ago it came out. It's...kind of underwhelming so far. I mean, a cowboy monk chops hundreds of zombies into bits with a giant staff that has chainsaws on the ends but I guess I was just expecting more?

It's the tone of it that's off, I think. Nothing about the art or dialogue or pacing conveys "fun" or "crazy action", it's just the basic facts of the script that seem like they're from a Suda51 game. The execution just isn't there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bairfanx posted:

I think he's probably accepted it as an inevitability at this point, but it would be kind of rad if it actually were better than Pilgrim.

Not a very high bar to clear.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bairfanx posted:

Is it cool to hate Scott Pilgrim now? Like, the series did have some flaws, but I thought most people liked it. I know I've been really enjoying revisiting the series as the colored editions come out.

I don't know if it's cool or not, but boy howdy did I hate it. I can see how some would like it, but I can't see how it would be considered something difficult to top. 80s video game references and applying the basic formula of comedy/romance manga and anime to a modern setting with swear words? That can't be the height of someone's creative output.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 23, 2013

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I don't know why but your avatar makes me irrationally angry. It's like it's telling me your post will have a lot of really bad opinions in it, even though a lot of times I sorta agree with you.

That's probably just my posting, not Paz.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

I'm sure Lurdiak has valid reasons for disliking Scott Pilgrim, that was just such a poor way of conveying them.

I'm curious to know what an invalid reason for disliking something would be.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

Congrats on missing the point.

Your point is that my dismissing of something I dislike is invalid because by being obtuse you can similarly dismiss something else. I was trying to be polite in not calling that the most asinine thing since responding to complaints about plot holes in superhero comics with "yeah and how come he can fly???".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Hey, you never know. She has to be talented at something other than acting!

Yes... acting. That's what she did.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You guys are way off.

Shredder used Dimension X technology to turn Manhattan into a floating island and challenged the turtles to come face him in his new impregnable stronghold.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Man I think I jumped off Invincible the very first time someone got punched into meat confetti. Kirkman's the guy who had Luke Cage melt into a puddle and Speedball carry a severed arm around during a "lighthearted" Marvel Team-up issue, I feel like whatever strengths he has as a writer will always be eclipsed by his addiction to cheap shock value.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Oh, hey Seconds is coming out on tuesday according to amazon. I can't wait to read all the "not as good as scott pilgrim" reviews.

Is that even possible?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That entire pitch just sounds like this to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf4Hb9fsR3U&t=98s

They even spell it wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Did they ever finish that? What I read ages ago was pretty great, if weird.